• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT| Thy path has been tested, now fight unkindled ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanctuary

I asked for a refund for something once and they said no. I gave them hell for it and they still just said no. :/
Do you live in Europe by any chance? I know they have very strict refund laws that have to be obeyed no matter what. I live in NA.

Nope, I live in NA. Did you try getting a refund on a pre-order key, before one was sent out?

XN01y.gif

I'm ready.

Moff

so what kind of caster is the stronges/most fun in DSIII?
I played pyro in 1 and sorcery/miracle/hexes in 2, I had fun with all of them so I just would like to know which is the strongest in DS3 and how I need to skill them

Danke, is there still a day one patch on the way for the performance issues in the later areas?

I think one of the patches already adressed that, partially at least.

The game has some stutter when loading new areas, like in BB (framepacing as well).

I'd say overall performance is a bit better, specially on multiplayer, on BB there was a LOT of stutter with more than one people. DS3 performs better in this regard.

Vire

XN01y.gif

I'm ready.

Haha oh my god, this made my day. :)
I think one of the patches already adressed that, partially at least.

The game has some stutter when loading new areas, like in BB (framepacing as well).

I'd say overall performance is a bit better, specially on multiplayer, on BB there was a LOT of stutter with more than one people. DS3 performs better in this regard.

Cool, sounds good. I'm so excited for Tuesday.

Oh man, can't wait til the digital version unlocks for NA PS4. My soul is ready.

I will choose Assassin and do a Dex build and play around with some magic.

Sanctuary

XN01y.gif

I'm ready.

This is great.

I played pyro in 1 and sorcery/miracle/hexes in 2, I had fun with all of them so I just would like to know which is the strongest in DS3 and how I need to skill them

Just spare yourself some potential early grief, and go Pyro this time around. Pick up the items for other schools as you progress, and maybe
respec
halfway through the game if it's not doing anything for you. Until it's adjusted, Sorcery doesn't get "good" until higher levels of INT. It's a lot weaker than it was in the previous games early on, and the starting staff is the most powerful right now.

Freeman76

Loving this so far, the level design and everyting else is just perfect. The first area has a Boletarian Palace vibe to it, which is probably my favourite souls level from any of the games, so the nod to Demons Souls is very welcome.

I picked assassin, not sure how a dex+int build is going to work out, but im having fun finding out. Beat the first 2 bosses, gave me a few deaths but overcame them eventually.

Excellent OT Yoshi, I'm so hyped to get online! I've completed it once, over halfway through on another character and I have a couple others ready as well for some invasions (not twink invasion just in the first area) and Co op

Robiin

I always go DEX build in my first runs through these games. Viable in the early-game until I get enough HP/stamina? Any weapons I should be on the lookout for? And which class should I start with if my end-goal is capped DEX and stamina?

I watched a few streams at first, but then I jumped into Yoshis stream and saw a huge boss spoiler so I said it was enough. Not seen anything since. Hype!

Freeman76

Man, half the mystery in souls is finding this stuff out for yourself

TitusTroy

so the official wikis are all complete now that they've had a 3 week head start ahead of the worldwide release?...all the weapon/gear stats and info etc?...I'm sad but also happy in a way...I like playing blind but it's good to know that the resources are there to help me if needed

Vire

Two questions... sorry.

1. I heard Sorcerers were trash tier in this game. Are Pyromancers any good though? I used to play sword + fireballs in Dark Souls 1.

2. Can you reset your stats at any point in the game?

Might just end up doing sword and board in this one.

Marc

Tip for early people who don't mind being spoiled -

You don't have to get the Tower key to reach certain areas. Was about to buy it after saving for ages but tried jumping off a tree a bunch and made it to the roof by the tower key access. I was trying with my armour for a while like an idiot, haha. You can get two very good items to have early game and a twinkling titanite and save 20K souls. Not sure if you can get other items (guessing not as I can't work out to get higher, don't think its possible) or missing out on others yet but I'll come back when I find a good souls farming place.

Thanks dude! Deprived it is. :)

Good luck! Braver man than I. :)

Be patient with the first boss, work out the moveset and you should be good, has a bunch of openings.

Would the folks who played the imported version recommend this game to someone (me) who could'nt even defeat Martyr Logarious in Bloodborne? Even with co op help Ive yet to beat that sonofabitch. Thanks.

Check one of the how to videos like below, I don't remember him being difficult for me compared to others so not sure. Dark Souls is a harder game than bloodborne though in general, but it is slower paced for the most part and the shield is a big help. They're pretty different so would say give it a shot, although like I said souls games are more difficult IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLUSws1zUg

Freeman76

Excellent OT Yoshi, I'm so hyped to get online! I've completed it once, over halfway through on another character and I have a couple others ready as well for some invasions (not twink invasion just in the first area) and Co op

This is why im happy to play the first bit offline. Fuck getting invaded by players who are so familiar with everything, in the first area or two when Im trying to find my feet lol

MegaMelon

I'm pretty excited about this game. Never played any of the Dark Souls games. I've played Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, though. I rented Demon's Souls from Blockbuster (remember when Blockbuster existed?) and it was incredibly stressful and I got salty so I returned it with my tail between my legs. Loved Bloodborne a lot, though. Kind of wish I wasn't a tremendous scrub when Demon's Souls came out so I could've enjoyed it and wouldn't be apprehensive about playing Dark Souls at launch. Happy to be picking this one up on launch day.

I'd highly recommend you play at least Dark Souls 1 first before playing this.

Sanctuary

I'd highly recommend you play at least Dark Souls 1 first before playing this. And then again after.

FTFY

I'm actually very surprised at how many people are coming to Dark Souls 3 as their first real attempt at playing a "Dark Souls" game. I guess Bloodborne had the desired effect?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah, so I think Sony might have messed up. (also very possible I'm just dumb) I was on PSN and getting ready to preorder/preload DSIII when I see the gold edition. I'm like, what's that about? Game has no DLC, why have a special digital edition? Is it like an armor set or starter weapon, etc? No, it's described as a theme and the soundtrack. For $20 extra? No. lol pass. So I hit the link for game page and pay 59.99 for vanilla. But when I go to preload, the theme and soundtrack are in the DL list. Theme dl's automatically, and ST has a countdown like the game.

Kinda weird. Appears vanilla gave me the gold edition extras. Unless I'm dumb, which as I said, is very possible.

Is this the case for every retailer? Would I get the apocalypse edition if I've ordered from amazon?

If you mean Amazon UK, then no. Apocalypse is Only at GAME in the UK apparently. The retailers would mention this for what you preordered. Eg: Amazon DE mentions it proudly as they usually have a lot of exclusives for game editions.

Two questions... sorry.

1. I heard Sorcerers were trash tier in this game. Are Pyromancers any good though? I used to play sword + fireballs in Dark Souls 1.

2. Can you reset your stats at any point in the game?

Might just end up doing sword and board in this one.

1. Not sure about pyromancers
2. Yes you can respec your stats.
Up to 5 times per ng however,

I just finished my first full playthrough of the game, it's been a wonderful experience throughout.

Gonna be great to see all the new players coming in and experiencing everything in the coming weeks, I'll be around to answer questions for sure.

rdytoroll

Yeah, so I think Sony might have messed up. (also very possible I'm just dumb) I was on PSN and getting ready to preorder/preload DSIII when I see the gold edition. I'm like, what's that about? Game has no DLC, why have a special digital edition? Is it like an armor set or starter weapon, etc? No, it's described as a theme and the soundtrack. For $20 extra? No. lol pass. So I hit the link for game page and pay 59.99 for vanilla. But when I go to preload, the theme and soundtrack are in the DL list. Theme dl's automatically, and ST has a countdown like the game.

Kinda weird. Appears vanilla gave me the gold edition extras. Unless I'm dumb, which as I said, is very possible.

The Gold/Deluxe edition gives you the season pass plus all the other good stuff.
Standard edition doesnt give the season pass, but it gives you the other good stuff too.

Moff

Just spare yourself some potential early grief, and go Pyro this time around. Pick up the items for other schools as you progress, and maybe
respec
halfway through the game if it's not doing anything for you. Until it's adjusted, Sorcery doesn't get "good" until higher levels of INT. It's a lot weaker than it was in the previous games early on, and the starting staff is the most powerful right now.

sounds good to me, I like pyromancy. does it scale with anything this time?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I had to beat every boss offline since the servers aren't up, so keep that in mind, but I thought this game had some of the hardest bosses in the series. If you plan on solo'ing every boss, prepare for some tough battles. I'd say it comes close to the (later) chalice dungeon BB bosses.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Schedule updated in the OP.

Sooo my friend got his copy yesterday and we played it for about 5 hours straight.

Some impressions with minor spoilers:

We stopped right before the
tree
boss known from the trailer.
The area leading up to it reminded us a lot of the Hemwick Charnel Lane from Blooborne, especially in terms of enemy design.
But what a huge area that was! We found so many different paths we couldn't really decide where to go.
The first boss was actually quite difficult playing as a
Deprived
with no shield. The second boss seemed more intimidating than he actually was.
We already knew
the second area from the beta
and realizing that the
dancer
boss wasn't there was quite a suprise to us.
The
nexus
was really cool, we absolutely loved the design of that area. And it was also great to see so many
returning
NPC's.
In terms of performance on PS4 it seemed pretty good up to the point we played, except for the transition between some areas.

So far we enjoyed it quite a lot. I'm really looking forward to continue playing it on tuesday.

Edit: I almost forgot one of the best things! The physical PS4 version comes with a real manual and not just one of those paper sheets explaining the basic controls.

Evolved1

The Gold/Deluxe edition gives you the season pass plus all the other good stuff.
Standard edition doesnt give the season pass, but it gives you the other good stuff too.
Ahh okay. Season pass though? I thought dlc was an unknown. Huh, guess I missed the announcement. If you read the description of gold edition, it doesn't mention a season pass. Unless I'm blind and dumb lol.

RangerX

Banned
Lol, I don't believe gaf anymore when it comes to Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 was the second coming of christ at first. Bloodborne is still the best game ever here, lol. Both games are huge disappointments imo.
I'm currently replaying Dark Souls 1 and I won't believe that Dark Souls 3 is the better game (already played it a few hours). The level design (not interconnected) already makes it worse

I've just started Bloodborne a couple of days ago and its a masterpiece of the highest order, I don't know what you've been smoking.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
But what a huge area that was! We found so many different paths we couldn't really decide where to go.

Hah, prepare to get that feeling over and over again. The levels are big, complex and intricate. This starts out from the early areas and carries on all the way to the end.

Are sorcerers terrible in this game? This was the first Souls game I intended to stat into intelligence.

Yes, sort of. The problem with sorcery right now is that the enemies are close to Bloodborne in terms of aggressiveness, yet sorceries haven't been adjusted properly to compensate. Casting times are too long for one thing, and the damage isn't really there until significant intelligence investment.

You can obviously give it a go, as it does become pretty powerful later in the game, but you'll be in for a rough ride for atleast the first half of the game.

I always go DEX build in my first runs through these games. Viable in the early-game until I get enough HP/stamina? Any weapons I should be on the lookout for? And which class should I start with if my end-goal is capped DEX and stamina?

I watched a few streams at first, but then I jumped into Yoshis stream and saw a huge boss spoiler so I said it was enough. Not seen anything since. Hype!

Viable? definetly, but it will also depend if you use a shield or not, no shield is harder, because enemies are really nasty this time around. I particularly embraced the challenge, it gets easier the further you go into the game.

There's a
Katana (Uchi)
in the very tutorial area, but it could be....harder, let's say, to get it lol

Classes? I think Assassin, Mercenary and Thief have higher DEX than other classes.

Zocano

I wonder how this shit fest release will affect release day activity and interest. Unfortunately early game PvP seems like it will be compromised and cooperation as a whole will be way easy with many just knowing the bosses quite well at this point.

edit: I always like the insane activity and communication in the OTs for any Souls launch and I imagine this one will be much damper.

Sorry to hear, is it due to not being on a platform you have access to? Regardless I'm sure you'll love Dark Souls 3 like the rest of us.
Yeah, pretty much. Don't have any last gen hardware anymore or a PC capable of running it decently. Still pretty stoked to play this even if I miss out on some story bits and throwbacks to past Dark Souls games.

rdytoroll

Ahh okay. Season pass though? I thought dlc was an unknown. Huh, guess I missed the announcement. If you read the description of gold edition, it doesn't mention a season pass. Unless I'm blind and dumb lol.

The DARK SOULS™ III Deluxe Edition includes the full game & the Season Pass. DARK SOULS™ III pushes the boundaries with the latest chapter in the series
and so forth

Mandelbo

If you mean Amazon UK, then no. Apocalypse is Only at GAME in the UK apparently. The retailers would mention this for what you preordered. Eg: Amazon DE mentions it proudly as they usually have a lot of exclusives for game editions.

Aw, shame. Just hoping they'll get it to me on time. Bloodborne arrived on release day, but at like 7pm - it was a long day.

I wonder how this shit fest release will affect release day activity and interest. Unfortunately early game PvP seems like it will be compromised and cooperation as a whole will be way easy with many just knowing the bosses quite well at this point.

edit: I always like the insane activity and communication in the OTs for any Souls launch and I imagine this one will be much damper.

I think you overstimate the amount of people that will look at wikis.

Evolved1

I might start deprived just to avoid the temptation of over-thinking and min-maxing. Knowing I have wasted attributes right off the bat might help me give less shits about the particulars and just play the damn game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom