• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Stayed up too late playing again! This game is so good.

Got to the first bonfire at
Anor Londo
and saved. Just under 31 hours so far.

patchday

This thread is moving fast. Already on OT2 and I'm still only like 3 hours in. tempted to take a day off and dedicate an entire day to DS3

Iorv3th

So the strategy guide is really bad. I was trying to use it to find items in the areas I am in mid/late game and a lot of them are wrong and it's like they just rushed the later part of the guide. Some of the things are listed completely wrong. Some things are not on the map in the guide but are there in game.

It also doesn't make any sense as far as progression goes. I just cleared one area and the next section of the guide is a place i'm not even at. I had a boss encounter immediately and the guide is just such a mess as far as layout goes.

I will never buy a prima guide again.

Also no way to look up locations of specific items.

how the hell do I infuse my dark sword +5 with a heavy gem

Certain weapons you can't infuse.

traveler

Not Wario
This is my first time going through a Dark Souls game without a shield, and, man, I've criticized the games in the past for the presence of shields and loved Bloodborne's lack of them, but I really did rob myself of better experiences. The game is so much better without a shield, even if I am effectively handicapping myself. Two handed weapons and dodging is just a far more engaging and challenging experience since I can't just ignore parts of the game's design.

Just killed (I guess this is early to mid game? Not really sure)
Aldritch. On my way to the Profaned Capitol now.
While the level design has been consistently decent to great- peaking in the
Dungeon
- I wasn't feeling the first few bosses. The enemies encountered while exploring the levels were more challenging than them. The game has fortunately stepped it up quite a bit recently though.
the Pontiff, Abyss Watchers, and Aldritch were all great fights, especially the former two, and, while I think the execution was a bit botched, Deacons and Wolnir were at least more interesting than any of the first four. The Pontiff and Watchers are legitimately top tier Souls material.
Hope the game can keep it up.

MilkBeard

Damn, the two wolf-beasts at the bottom of the ladder is giving me flashbacks to the giant sharks in the well in Bloodborne.

DAT FINAL BOSS!

When he went into his second life bar and, what I'm assuming was Gwynn's theme, started playing I was all like FUCKING BRING IT!

lmao i was fighting the final boss earlier today and high fived my friend who was sitting next to me
when I defeated his first phase. My friend had this look on his face and when i turned to the screen BAM!, miyazaki was like phase 2 baby and here is gywn's theme just to get you pumped.

Manu

This thread is moving fast. Already on OT2 and I'm still only like 3 hours in. tempted to take a day off and dedicate an entire day to DS3

I took Tuesday and Wednesday off last week. I never had taken a day off for a game before.

It was everything I thought it could be.

_1326260468.jpg

ramyeon

So I see three armor types for sale:

Undead Legion
Morne's
Exile

Right now I'm running a DEX/FAITH guild with weapon enchant. Should I be looking for anything specific with this armor or just go with the high resists/absorbs?
It's all about Fashion Souls.

Get'sMad

Damn, the two wolf-beasts at the bottom of the ladder is giving me flashbacks to the giant sharks in the well in Bloodborne.

yeah heh they did for me too...they're a bit easier to tackle imo because their moves are a little more predictable and you can just lure the one with a bow and the other one doesn't auto come after you when it's health reaches a certain point.

Should have listened to the fucking warnings of a trap in the
catacombs

I was thinking it would be enemies or some shit, didn't expect god damn Indiana Jones. I'll regain my souls tomorrow.

edit: as to armor selection I'd say that Dark Souls 3 more than 1 and 2 is aimed at fashion souls, what with no armor upgrades.

Should I just get help on the H
igh
L
ord
W
olthric
fight in the C of C? It's fun but it really seems designed for multiple people, unless you two-hand a greatsword/axe or have a
blessed
weapon

Should have listened to the fucking warnings of a trap in the
catacombs

I was thinking it would be enemies or some shit, didn't expect god damn Indiana Jones. I'll regain my souls tomorrow.

Not gonna lie, I spent a good amount of time luring enemies back into them shits to grind for a little. Satisfying to kill them
ninja skelli
's that way.

Damn right it is. That crap also seems to read inputs since he used it numerous times to to go exactly where my roll was going to end. Most bullshit boss in the series IMO due to that and the infinite ways he can chain combos.
It's fun until he starts doing fighting combos like he is from Street Fighter. I seriously suspect that input read as well because sometimes no matter how well you dodge his charge still lands.

I finally beat him by just trading blows. Turtling behind a sheild is beyond ineffective because he just keeps attacking so you have to be aggressive.

arnehelst

Got three crashes within 15 mins with the new patch. This after fixing the lightning bug on my 760 by using the 347.88 NVIDIA drivers.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Pachinko

I beat the second real boss !
The tree of cursed bark or whatever
. I'm still not entirely sure what it is about this that I enjoy so much more than blood borne but here we are. I mean, some out there might say it's the shield and I do have one equipped but I rarely use it for anything other than dogs. Looking forward to the next area.

pa22word

So the strategy guide is really bad. I was trying to use it to find items in the areas I am in mid/late game and a lot of them are wrong and it's like they just rushed the later part of the guide. Some of the things are listed completely wrong. Some things are not on the map in the guide but are there in game.

It also doesn't make any sense as far as progression goes. I just cleared one area and the next section of the guide is a place i'm not even at. I had a boss encounter immediately and the guide is just such a mess as far as layout goes.

I will never buy a prima guide again.

Also no way to look up locations of specific items.

Certain weapons you can't infuse.

Shiiiiiiit was the dark sword hit with the nerf hammer? Before it was treated as standard reinforcement, and was fucking nasty with infusion at +10. Heartbreaking if true :'(

CHC

Honestly I'm glad armor upgrades are gone. They never did anything that interesting and it makes outfits much more flexible now.

I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't hear about it here.

PvP's fun, even had some tourneys already being set up in the last area of the game, but the quality of latency, in typical Dark Souls fashion, has been hit-or-miss.

I'll reserve asking for co-op help until I reach a boss I can't even get past the first stage. Stresses me out when a guy summons two phantoms to help them with a boss I did by myself, like the mob bosses.

PvP's fun, even had some tourneys already being set up in the last area of the game, but the quality of latency, in typical Dark Souls fashion, has been hit-or-miss.

as long as it doesn't reach those DS2 levels of hitting and the person dodging like a second later and still not getting hurt i'll be fine with it.

I'll reserve asking for co-op help until I reach a boss I can't even get past the first stage. Stresses me out when a guy summons two phantoms to help them with a boss I did by myself, like the mob bosses.

If it makes you feel better, as a Stabby Dex Guy mob bosses are my kryptonite

Edit: Beat HLW. Thanks for the assist...CuntFaceMcGee. Your legend will be passed down for...eternity.

pa22word

Got three crashes within 15 mins with the new patch. This after fixing the lightning bug on my 760 by using the 347.88 NVIDIA drivers.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I stopped having any problems with the game once I dropped down to 361.75 (before you ask, it was the last stable driver I just happened to have on hand already downloaded) which shouldn't be drastically different from 362.

GulAtiCa

Stayed up to 1 AM playing. Lol. Now lv 40 with slightly increased argument and FP. also using that Witches ring + the starting pyro ring gave my pyro a good boost. Tested on a enemy without the witch ring(but still the starter pyro ring) was doing 216. With witch ring thingy, now 270. Nice

SoulsGAF, fucking hold me.

I just reached... a certain place. I don't want to do the spoiler method where the first letters are visible because I feel like it'd be obvious, but I just reached
Anor Londo

What the fuck, guys, I've got chills.

If it makes you feel better, as a Stabby Dex Guy mob bosses are my kryptonite

Edit: Beat HLW. Thanks for the assist...CuntFaceMcGee. Your legend will be passed down for...eternity.

I'm a dex build too, and yes the mob bosses so far have been a pain, but until I reach a boss where my katana is just not doing ANY damage I won't summon.

Dahbomb

I am at the last boss but I haven't played the game all day.

I don't want the game to be over. Might be last Souls game in a while. Feels bad man. :(

Soulflarz

Banned

I just reached... a certain place. I don't want to do the spoiler method where the first letters are visible because I feel like it'd be obvious, but I just reached
Anor Londo

Don't be a victim to fanservice, don't encourage FROM :p

(I still think it's over the top in ds3)

JTCx

Seriously, Gundyr's shoulder charge is cheap.

Dont forget the wombo combo follow up he does with the shoulder where he launches you up with the with the back end of his axe then immediately shoulder checks you in the air. That shit does 3/4 of your health lol. Its a cool looking move though reminds me of Akira from VF.

Anor Londo

That part had me like

1408.gif

Get'sMad

as a d-bag who likes to invade I've constantly ran into guys who won't even attempt an area/boss until they have at least 3 phantoms by their side...its absurd. I get not everyone has the time/patience to get skilled at these games and its cool that that option is there for them however idk....playing like that would take all the joy of what makes these games satisfying but to each their own so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't be a victim to fanservice, don't encourage FROM :p

(I still think it's over the top in ds3)

Kind of agree. Maybe my friends and I are cynical but whenever fanservice appears and we're playing with a chat group one of us will go "Oh man remember X in Dark Souls? Such nostalgia, only 90s kids will get it!"

But maybe it didn't help they attempted to release that shirt with all the dankity dank souls maymays in one handy article of clothing.

Am I the only crazy one using Warden Twinblades?

Love these things so far. Infused with Sharp.

Also are any of the rapiers good?

Try infusing them hollow and getting your luck up to a reasonable amount. If you keep at least 5 Carthus Rouge (bleed buff) with you at all times, you can buff them and cause people to bleed within one L2-R2 combo. Not exaggerating at all. It absolutely tears through bosses, and people don't expect the bleed damage in pvp.

goblin

as long as it doesn't reach those DS2 levels of hitting and the person dodging like a second later and still not getting hurt i'll be fine with it.

Not only can it have this, it adds the fun new PvP-Souls wrinkle of sometimes having opponents not animate and being either impossible to kill or completely unable to hurt you.

Mound-Maker covenant is great, at least.

arnehelst

I stopped having any problems with the game once I dropped down to 361.75 (before you ask, it was the last stable driver I just happened to have on hand already downloaded) which shouldn't be drastically different from 362.

Seems stable now, maybe was just a coincidence. I'll upgrade my drivers to 361 though.

sappyday

My main complaint with the game is that the locations, while beautiful, are too similar to locations of past entries. I'll put down every location and compare it to multiple places from the past games. Gonna spoiler tag everything just in case.

Cemetary of Ash - Shaded Woods (DS2)
Firelink Shrine - Nexus (DeS)
High Wall of Lothric - 1-1 (DeS)
Undead Settlement - Hemwick Lane/Forbidden Woods (B)
Road of Sacrifices - Darkwood Garden (DS1)
Farron Keep - 5-2 (DeS)/Blighttown (DS1)
Cathredal of the Deep - Sen's Fortress (DS1)
Catacombs of Carthus - Chalice Dungeons (B)
Irthyll - Yharnam (B)
Anor Londo - Anor Londo (DS1)
Irthyll Dungeons - Grave of Saints (DS2)/3-1 (DeS)
Profaned Capital - Sanctum City (DS2)
Lothric Caste - 1-4 (DeS)
Consumed King's Garden - Area is so small that I can't think of one
Grand Archives - Duke's Archives (DS1)
Archdragon Peak - Dragon Shrine (DS2)

And lastly,
Kiln of the First Flame which of course reminds me of KotFF from Dark Souls but the way it looks visually is so cool and unique that it's pretty much the best location in the entire game. However, this is what I wanted and was sort of expecting out of the end game locations based on the very first leaked images we got. I wanted some twisted world to explore. I would've loved to explore the Lothric Castle that you see in the distance in Kiln. It's one of the things I'm disappointed with the game even though I know it's my fault for faulty expectations.

Some of those similarities might be explained by the lore in the game in which case that's okay and I'll appreciate it since context is better than no context, but it doesn't change the fact that I felt like I was going through the same motions with this one. Dark Souls 2 didn't have this problem as much tbh.

Also doesn't help that the game is as short as Bloodborne but whereas Bloodborne had some very unique locations and a brand new story to help it through, this one does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom