• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meccs

Soooo --

I think I've hit my first wall.
Played DaS, DaS2 and Bloodborne.
Just reached the I
rithyll of the Boreal
Valley,
The areas before that weren't my favourites. S
mouldering
L
ake
and D
emon
Ruins were a chore. Too many enemies in a tight space. Things are starting to kill me quite fast.

Now, I killed the
the big beast on the bridge
in I
rithyll of the Boreal
Valley, but man! After that, things start to kill me in like 2 hits, rolling is hard because the enemies seem to have loooooong combos that stagger you.

I rolled a dex char.
Vigor: 20
Endurance: 20
Dex: 25
STR: As much as need for a specific weapon

Rocking a Dark Blade +6

Any tips for this area? I'm about lvl 45, is that too low? It really breaks my flow.
Especially those tall dudes that make a flame column raise beneath you are a b*tch. Too man little guys surrounding them.
I had a difficult time there too. What I ended up doing is run through to the second bonfire (found it by accident, it's just a short distance from the first after the bridge though) and rolled the first part of the area up from behind. The issue with this first part for me was the spacing of the enemies. They start up really close but keep separating after a while. Either you fight 2-3 at once or you wait for them to walk a bit so you can pull one by one which did get on my nerve. Those enemies and their move sets at the start are a good preparation for what comes later though... be prepared!

Ferr986

Oh god yeah, fuck Chalice Dungeons. The main "final" boss of them was amazing, but the rest of the thing was just horseshit.

I miss some sort of Chalice tbh. Doing the mandatory ones sucked, but Depth 5 was an infinite source for Coop, with the possibility of new layouts every time you got summoned.

Tak3n

Banned
ok I admit it the boss
dancer
I had to summon help for, I could get him/her down to a 1/4 health but those subtle mass damaging moves were a fucking nightmare to read

SRTtoZ

I actually liked the Chalice dungeons. Some of the kin versions were so nice looking with glowing shit everywhere and there was always a feeling of progression the further you went in because of the kickass blood gems you got. Once I finished them all and farmed some of the hardest ones I felt like a badass with my upgraded Kirkhammer with insane blood gems. I would definitely prefer hand crafted areas over the Chalice but they were fun nonetheless.

gaugebozo

I miss some sort of Chalice tbh. Doing the mandatory ones sucked, but Depth 5 was an infinite source for Coop, with the possibility of new layouts every time you got summoned.
Yeah. One dungeon with maybe modifiers and randomization possible. The worst was spending all that time fighting the same low level rats and spiders.

Menome

It's been quite fun semi-roleplaying my character in my head for this game (Spoilers up to defeating the third Lord of Cinder):

A princess branded & executed for an unknown crime awakens in the land of the dead. After venturing forth for a while she encounters
Yuria of Londor
who gives her the opportunity she never had in life:
To be the Lord of the realm

Driven by the anger of what happened to her, she takes up this offer, which comes at a price:
Her beauty. The effects of which she covers up with a magic ring.

Her quest then begins to take its toll in other ways, on the inside as well as out. Like the Hub areas in the other entries, there's
a killer and it's her.
Furthering her agenda, she kills
Irina, Eygon and Orbeck
and rescues
Karla the heretic.

She then travels to where the seat of her power will be:
Anor Londo
, to wrest control of it from
Aldrich
whom she dispatches with ease. She has a kingdom, now she just needs the Flame.

DarkStream

I had a difficult time there too. What I ended up doing is run through to the second bonfire (found it by accident, it's just a short distance from the first after the bridge though) and rolled the first part of the area up from behind. The issue with this first part for me was the spacing of the enemies. They start up really close but keep separating after a while. Either you fight 2-3 at once or you wait for them to walk a bit so you can pull one by one which did get on my nerve. Those enemies and their move sets at the start are a good preparation for what comes later though... be prepared!

Cheers.
Yeah, kinda frustrating that I already had to roll all over the place in a hurry in the previous two areas. Was hoping I could start exploring at my own pace again :-(
I'll roll my way to the second bonfire :)

saturnine

I'm creating new characters to try different builds, but each time I reach C
rucifixion
W
oods
I lose steam. This area is such a pain in the ass. Terrible.

Mogwai

I'm creating new characters to try different builds, but each time I reach C
rucifixion
W
oods
I lose steam. This area is such a pain in the ass. Terrible.
How come?
The pole guys are easy to backstab and the shrooms are just dead meat. I think the only challenge is the giant crabs and the crucified dudes. Of course, if you rush in you'll be swarmed.

_Legacy_

Still can't get past
Nameless King
the main thing for me is I have barely have any time to use an estus before starts spamming his moves at 50% health.

daninthemix

Cheers.
Yeah, kinda frustrating that I already had to roll all over the place in a hurry in the previous two areas. Was hoping I could start exploring at my own pace again :-(
I'll roll my way to the second bonfire :)

Yeah some areas of Irithyll with the dancer knights plus the fire mages made exploring not worth the hassle, for me.

However! Later I opened a shortcut back to that area, and there are 3 NPC summons in the area, so you can summon 2 of them and grab any items you missed.

Forkball

What's the deal with (CoC spoilers)
the skeleton with the hat who helps you? Any lore or reason behind that? He is a true bro.

Novocaine

Man I had some of the best PvP experiences I've ever had with this series while farming Aldrich tokens. Several times I got summoned into a world with me, another Aldrich faithful, a couple of shades and an invader. Just fucking chaos. I think once I'm done with covenants I'll be full timing the Aldrich mark.

dragos495

Still can't get past
Nameless King
the main thing for me is I have barely have any time to use an estus before starts spamming his moves at 50% health.

thats the only boss i have to beat! the first part is so easy with a spear but he is godlike damage wise. only got him to half health and he kills me... :( thats the main reason i cant begin my ng+ adventure.

So, another note about the Mound-Makers. We all know that if you get summoned by the host, you can have some fun by cooperating with them at first, and then betray them at an opportune moment. But even as an invading mound-maker, you can get some side-switching betrayal fun in as well. This is because other than beating the host, you can get a win in if all other phantoms (hostile OR friendly) die (except of course for when you invade a host without summons, which is rare). So in certain situations it makes sense for you to betray your fellow invader.

Consider the following scenario: You invade a host with a white and a sunbro phantom each. They show no sign of being interested in a fair fight, so you run to hide behind a mob of enemies. While waiting for the host's party to get to you, a blue bro comes in, and shortly afterwards another invader. The blue bro will probably get himself killed within a few minutes, as is their way, so you go to engage the host with your fellow invader for a 2v3. It will probably play out as one 1v1 battle and one 1v2 battle. One of you tries to kill one of the host's phantoms, and the other keeps the other two of the host party busy, focusing on just staying alive. So pretty soon one of the host's phantoms is dead and it's a 2v2 and shortly thereafter, the other co-op phantom is dead so it's 2v1. Now you're probably all weakened and short on estus. What not a lot of people realise is that, as a mound-maker, you can get a win here by betraying your fellow invader, either by going straight for them or "accidentally" getting them with firebombs meant for the host. You kill the other invader and you get a win and can wave goodbye to a ravaged and scarred host who is not quite sure just what just happened.

I've gotten wins like this twice. I'm pretty sure this strategy could make for some interesting situations in the dedicated pvp covenant areas (which I haven't gotten to yet).

_Legacy_

thats the only boss i have to beat! the first part is so easy with a spear but he is godlike damage wise. only got him to half health and he kills me... :( thats the main reason i cant begin my ng+ adventure.

It wouldn't even be half as bad if the camera wasn't so jerky in this fight. Doesn't help when he starts to float and I can't even track him properly.

Mutombo

It wouldn't even be half as bad if the camera wasn't so jerky in this fight. Doesn't help when he starts to float and I can't even track him properly.

camera is the sole reason I have to chug half of my estus flasks before phase 2. Seriously, what a load of bullshit.

I gave up on solo and co-opped that boss.

saturnine

How come?
The pole guys are easy to backstab and the shrooms are just dead meat. I think the only challenge is the giant crabs and the crucified dudes. Of course, if you rush in you'll be swarmed.

The
pole guys
are the major issue. They have ridiculous reach, can stagger you all day every day and have really wonky super armor on some of their moves which makes crowd control a pain. At close range they have wide sweeps, and if you try to zone them they will go for a charge. Most of the time you end up facing three of them, so it's a luck toss to see if they're going to sync up perfectly and ruin your day or act dumb and get dispatched easily. And if you mess up your footwork while fighting more of them can join the fray, because of course there's an absolute shitton of them.

The
big crabs
you can avoid easily, except when you trigger some bullshit hidden aggro flag. Try
walking through the water in front of the ruins
and see how the one next to the bonfire will make a beeline for your ass.

The
crucified dudes
are more scary than dangerous, you can empty your whole stamina by stunlocking them when there's an opening, and there's very few of them, always isolated from other enemies.

There's also the constant invasions if you're embered, which you should be because
there's an npc invader that drops unique gear in there.

Add to all of that the really boring level design of the place.

I really don't like this area.

My boss deaths:

Iudex Gundyr:
Vordt of the Boreal Valley:
Curse-rotted Greatwood:
Crystal Sage:
Deacons of the Deep:
Abyss Watchers:
High Lord Wolnir:
Pontiff Sulyvahn:
Old Demon King:
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods:
Yhorm the Giant:
Dancer of the Boreal Valley:
Dragonslayer Armour:
Oceiros, The Consumed King:
Champion Gundyr:
Lothric, Younger Prince:
Soul of Cinder:
Ancient Wyvern:
Nameless King:
Around 20

My boss deaths:

Iudex Gundyr:
Vordt of the Boreal Valley:
Curse-rotted Greatwood:
Crystal Sage:
Deacons of the Deep:
Abyss Watchers:
High Lord Wolnir:
Pontiff Sulyvahn:
Old Demon King:
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods:
Yhorm the Giant:
Dancer of the Boreal Valley:
Dragonslayer Armour:
Oceiros, The Consumed King:
Champion Gundyr:
Lothric, Younger Prince:
Soul of Cinder:
Ancient Wyvern:
Nameless King:
Around 20

Ooo...man i've gone onto NG+ now but i think i was roughly....

Iudex Gundyr 0
Vordt of the Boreal Valley 0
Curse-rotted Greatwood 2
Crystal Sage 0
Deacons of the Deep 0
Abyss Watchers 0
High Lord Wolnir 0
Pontiff Sulyvahn 0
Old Demon King 0
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods 4 or 5
Yhom the Giant 1
Dancer of the Boreal Valley 0
Dragonslayer Armour 0
Oceiros, the Consumed King 0
CHampion Gundyr 0
Lothric, Younger Prince 0
Soul of Cinder 0 (favourite boss)
Ancient Wyvern 0
Nameless King probably 8-10

feels like i died more to the mobs than bosses, but i think after starting with ds1 i've just gotten better.

Where do Blue bros spawn btw? I've had some really weird spawning so far. Both times I was miles away from the host. One time I spawned into a group of enemies. Like wtf.

PhaZZe

Banned
I died with the most easy bosses but with
dancer
0 deaths. the only boss that makes me rage was in
Anor londo (something about eating gods) was a pain in the ass, his stupid arrows and little sparks!!
Amazing game right now i killed
the first boss again in that weird dark zone
Im awful with names hahaha

Blobbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6z5OUO-KEk

NsexdVt.jpg

More Untended Graves info if you didn't see it earlier...
so I left a message where Patches normall is in Firelink in Untended Graves, only to discover later that my message showed up in Firelink as well... interesting

Yeah, that's also a mind-bender. Kinda ties into how that area is
basically a shadow of the 'original' starting area.
Though I kept finding amusing "WTF this shit again?!" messages instead.

Mogwai

The
pole guys
are the major issue. They have ridiculous reach, can stagger you all day every day and have really wonky super armor on some of their moves which makes crowd control a pain. At close range they have wide sweeps, and if you try to zone them they will go for a charge. Most of the time you end up facing three of them, so it's a luck toss to see if they're going to sync up perfectly and ruin your day or act dumb and get dispatched easily. And if you mess up your footwork while fighting more of them can join the fray, because of course there's an absolute shitton of them.

The
big crabs
you can avoid easily, except when you trigger some bullshit hidden aggro flag. Try
walking through the water in front of the ruins
and see how the one next to the bonfire will make a beeline for your ass.

The
crucified dudes
are more scary than dangerous, you can empty your whole stamina by stunlocking them when there's an opening, and there's very few of them, always isolated from other enemies.

There's also the constant invasions if you're embered, which you should be because
there's an npc invader that drops unique gear in there.

Add to all of that the really boring level design of the place.

I really don't like this area.
Just roll towards them, backstab and finish them off. Simple and easy ;)

But I agree, it's not an interesting area. Who is this NPC you're mentioning?

SnowDrops

Fucking champion asshole piece of shit, final boss was easier than this shitheel and his endless combos

roll roll roll untill he does his jump-attack. Then eighter attack him or heal. Repeat untill he's dead.
Also, watch out for his backwards kick, stay to his left when near him after he does the initial two swings of his combo so he doesn't do the kick and you can land one more hit untill you have to retreat.

Finally said fuck it and summoned help for the first time for A
byss Watchers.
That fight went from really demanding to a joke, it's so easy to set up back stabs with another person to draw agro. Sort of disappointed I didn't solo it but it feels really good to be finally making progress again after being stuck there for hours.

Tak3n

Banned
I dont get why when you join the mound makers covenant it does not show you as a normal phantom with normal summon sign, as surely the whole Idea is for the player who summons you not to know you are about to try and kill them?

Jintor

roll roll roll untill he does his jump-attack. Then eighter attack him or heal. Repeat untill he's dead.
Also, watch out for his backwards kick, stay to his left when near him after he does the initial two swings of his combo so he doesn't do the kick and you can land one more hit untill you have to retreat.

as with most times i immediately got him after posting my angry diatribe

seriously though that guy was harder than the final boss, i swear to god

Tak3n

Banned
Finally said fuck it and summoned help for the first time for A
byss Watchers.
That fight went from really demanding to a joke, it's so easy to set up back stabs with another person to draw agro. Sort of disappointed I didn't solo it but it feels really good to be finally making progress again after being stuck there for hours.

I always try and try for about 5 or 6 times, to the point where you have seen the fight enough, then I summon to get that little extra help...nothing wrong in that, the whole game system is set up to receive help

saturnine

Just roll towards them, backstab and finish them off. Simple and easy ;)

But I agree, it's not an interesting area. Who is this NPC you're mentioning?

Yellowfinger Heysel. Wears the full xanthous set and drops the headpiece and a weapon that can also cast sorceries. Also invades in the poison swamp. After being killed, her summon sign can be used for the Abyss Watchers, which is the only way to gain a specific gesture.

SnowDrops

as with most times i immediately got him after posting my angry diatribe

seriously though that guy was harder than the final boss, i swear to god

True that, I was stuck there for atleast 2 hours. Didn't have all that much trouble with him in NG+ tho.

TitusTroy

I finished the game for the first time yesterday and decided to look at a walkthrough to see what I missed...I missed the
Yorel/Yuria quest lines
...looking at the wiki/walkthrough it seems extremely convoluted and complicated...had to read it a few times and it still doesn't 100% make total sense...I can't believe people actually did this quest by going in blind...seems way more complicated then any of the quests in the previous Souls games

saturnine

I dont get why when you join the mound makers covenant it does not show you as a normal phantom with normal summon sign, as surely the whole Idea is for the player who summons you not to know you are about to try and kill them?

because you can also win by killing any other invader.

the idea is good : being a wildcard that can either help or hinder, but like so often with covenants, the execution is seriously half assed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom