• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok that's enough. I'm fucking done with pvp. I can't believe how they managed to shit the bed so thoroughly. Fifth game in the series, each selling more than the last, and that shit is still a busted mess. They even managed to make it worse than in Dark Souls 2 for fuck's sake.

I've been rather enjoying PvP, or rather invasions and being invaded.

I've never been about fight clubs cause you know it's gonna have some BS and/or min-maxing in it.

I typically feel out what build I like while I go through 100% achievement running, then I make a new game and optimize that build for invasions and such.

This is the only game out of the three where I've handily managed 1v3 invasions and lived.

ISee

Would anyone be willing to test password matchmaking with me? I am trying to match with my brother but it is not working and I really want to know if there is problem with the connection (we are on the same network) or maybe there is a problem with High Wall of Lothric. Thanks!

Posting your system of choice would probably help ;)

So, I chose the
Wolf Knight's
Greatsword over the
Farron
Greatsword. I like the moveset on the first GS better. That spin attack reminds me of Guts from Berserk.

Citadel

It's not that. So far frame pacing @ 60 fps seems to be okay on PC. It's a saving problem. Many people have it occasionally and it doesn't matter how fast/good your hard drive/ssd is. Nobody seems to be sure why it occurs.

Ah, my mistake then - thanks for clearing that up.

myco666

Starting to feel the burnout on this trophy hunt. Good game but god is getting all these trophies taxing.

How is the weapon skill with that? I noticed it doesn't scale with faith

Haven't tried it since the stat requirements are so ridiculous and don't really want to waste materials upgrading it.

ZangBa

Never released how literally Castlevania these games are until I thought about it. Just like Castlevania,
you beat the game and everything repeats. Castle comes back but with a different layout, undead player character is basically a new Belmont every game.

Spoilered because, I guess it can be seen as an ending spoiler, but come on.

Mollymauk

Thought I'd try farming for the
Dark Sword
at the bottom of the
High Wall of Lothric
. I only have 7 luck and I got it on my 2nd try.

#blessed

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok that's enough. I'm fucking done with pvp. I can't believe how they managed to shit the bed so thoroughly. Fifth game in the series, each selling more than the last, and that shit is still a busted mess. They even managed to make it worse than in Dark Souls 2 for fuck's sake.
I know right...

Demon's Souls still had the best PvP. Kinda crazy.

Sullichin

I tried farming the goat demon thing right near the Old King's Antechamber bonfire for a while for a chaos gem with no luck. They can drop them right?

Citadel

Dark Sword
at the bottom of the
High Wall of Lothric

#blessed

Damn you. I only have 9 luck, but I must have tried at least 10 times so far. I can only get the Lothric stuff, apparently.

Is the
Dark Sword
even that good? I have a +6 Heavy Broadsword that will eventually do A scaling with STR, which is what I'm rolling with... How much better can that sword be?

Is it worth it to attune spells at a bonfire with a strength build?

Definitely. I have a strenth, sorta, build and keep Heal and Caressing Tears miracles with me for that extra healing when I can take my time and to cure ailments. I try to avoid using estus until I hit something big and do Heal instead.

Sullichin

Red sign soapstone pvp has been awesome in my experience

MrHoot

Imma make a build full luck

No one will be able to hit me because they'll be constantly slipping on banana peels and whatnot and miss. Like woop Vordt your hammer slipped through your hands and bonked your head

if only

Never released how literally Castlevania these games are until I thought about it. Just like Castlevania,
you beat the game and everything repeats. Castle comes back but with a different layout, undead player character is basically a new Belmont every game.

Spoilered because, I guess it can be seen as an ending spoiler, but come on.

Always tempted to go with the whips because of it.
The graveyard area in Cathedral of the Deep is beyond Casstlevania with those reanimating zombies

Tarkus

I know right...

Demon's Souls still had the best PvP. Kinda crazy.
viewFile.html
😛

Forkball

Jesus christ that dungeon. They could really cut it out with the SCREAMING. I left a lot unexplored but screw it, I wanted out of there. I almost bit it at the end where
a fucking GARGOYLE jumps down on the bridge. I saw the next bonfire so I just sprinted past him to light it. I had no Estus so it was do or die.

Also IotBV is invasion central.

Ferr986

Got summoned on Farron, supposedly for a coop boss because I was tired off standing idle waiting for any Bluemergency. When I popped there's absolutel a shitstorm of ghost going on: purple, red, blue, blueishfarron dudes.... we managed to kill them all and then proceed to run around killing invaders.

Fun, but I did envy every Bluebro that popped to aid.

You've seen the light. I "quit" about three times, but would eventually pick the game back up for the night and give pvp a try again, until a couple days ago, when I just realized that no matter how much effort I put into it, there was nothing I could do to make it suck less. Not only are game mechanics heavily weighted to make pvp less fun this time around (i.e. infinite rolls, estus chug), but this is by far the worst implementation of covenants they've ever done. There isn't even an arena in this game at release, whereas a game released in the same series two years ago had that. How hard was it going to be to just transition that arena into this game?

psychotron

Damn you. I only have 9 luck, but I must have tried at least 10 times so far. I can only get the Lothric stuff, apparently.

Is the
Dark Sword
even that good? I have a +6 Heavy Broadsword that will eventually do A scaling with STR, which is what I'm rolling with... How much better can that sword be?

Yes, it's great. Infuse with heavy gem and you'll end up with a fast sword that has A scaling in strength. I'm wrecking people with it.

Huh...so apparently I've completely missed an area that isn't optional and had a pretty hard time finding. I don't think that's ever happened before in a Souls game.

gk1225

Neo Member
Yo just a heads up try placing the summon sign away from the bonfire. My friend and I had to do that to summon each other.

Thanks for the advice, I tried this but it still isn't working. I don't know if its the network (on the same network) or the location (High Wall) but I just can't get it to work. All I want to do is get to the first
mimic
to use the charms to get the
symbol of avarice
because I killed them all in my game and didn't get it.

ZangBa

Man, I don't know, I enjoy the PvP a lot. Once I got that BKGA to +10 and started invading these 3v1's and if I'm really lucky, 4v1's, and still winning hilariously, I felt really pleased.

MrHoot

Huh...so apparently I've completely missed an area that isn't optional and had a pretty hard time finding. I don't think that's ever happened before in a Souls game.

Was it
cathedral of the deep
by any chance ? happened to me too. I fought the boss, didn't see a path and then went the other way, completely forgetting about it until I had to go back for reasons

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
?
No, I am not sarcastic whatsoever. Demon's Souls has my favourite PvP still despite its flaws.

I tried farming the goat demon thing right near the Old King's Antechamber bonfire for a while for a chaos gem with no luck. They can drop them right?
....I have no idea what part of the game you are referring to. Goat demon? Old King Antechamber? What the hell are those? o_O

I'm sure it's gonna be obvious but right now I'm just confused lol. Are the goat demons those monsters in
Demon Ruins
?

Was it
cathedral of the deep
by any chance ? happened to me too. I fought the boss, didn't see a path and then went the other way, completely forgetting about it until I had to go back for reasons

Exactly that one! I need to
find the doll
and I had absolutely no fucking clue what to do. Asked here for a slight hint but I couldn't get anywhere. Eventually I looked up the "order" of locations and found
Cathedral of the Deep
in between
Road of Sacrifices
and
Farron's Keep
and was like "wait WHAT".

I'm gonna look around some more. I'm sure when I find it I'll feel like the dumbest person ever but right now I don't know how I could've possibly missed
an entire boss + new area
. Maybe the linearity is conditioning me to not seek stuff out? Hell, I made it to S
mouldering
L
ake
on my own and that's an actual optional area!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Second Chance was a little silly, tho.
Silly how?

Second Chance was mandatory for high level organized PvP. *shrugs* I don't see the problem. In a game where a single backstab can OHKO players at 50 VIT, it's quite necessary.

I remember Demon's having really good netcode, probably the best. I wonder if Atlus had anything to do with that.
Yup, and it was still rife with lagstabs and the likes.

And yet... almost every PvP encounter in DS3 has worse lag. I can't count the number of times where I'd hit r1, and then a full second later hear the clang on the shield (or the damage dealt). This sort of delay was fairly rare in DeS and only happened when playing against people with either extremely bad connections, or when people cast Anti-Magic Field (lol). Hell I played against Japanese players on the NA server and it wasn't even that bad but it's super common in DS3. WTF...

Zocano

Silly how?

Second Chance was mandatory for high level organized PvP. *shrugs* I don't see the problem. In a game where a single backstab can OHKO players at 50 VIT, it's quite necessary.

I suppose that's true. edit: In a vacuum, I think it's a bit overpowered (to basically have 2 full lives) but I agree it's helpful against crazy backstabs.

I've never been a fan of any of the pvp, though. I put up with it but "fair" pvp has never been my thing. Bring back the scraping spear.

Dark Sword
at the bottom of the
High Wall of Lothric

#blessed

Congrats! I like to hear that, as my luck is at 7 too. I was planning on farming it a couple of days ago, but I think I'm just now able to do it. I'm so bad at this game. I really need to learn how to use a shield effectively.

J-Rod

Thanks for the advice, I tried this but it still isn't working. I don't know if its the network (on the same network) or the location (High Wall) but I just can't get it to work. All I want to do is get to the first
mimic
to use the charms to get the
symbol of avarice
because I killed them all in my game and didn't get it.

I'm sure you've probably already done this, but make sure you set summon sign visibility as unrestricted in the options menu and set regional matchmaking off, too (although that second one shouldn't matter). Can you see other summon signs? I assume you are using the new character to summon since the character that needs the item has probably already cleared the zone and can't summon.

Finally found the
Ring of Steel Protection
last night, haven't had a chance to really try it out though, what do people think of it so far?

I'm currently using
Chloranthy Ring + Ring of Favour + Ring of Steel Protection + Knight Slayers Ring
and have focused more on STR/END/VIT using
Outrider Knight Armor and Heavy Exile Greatsword
. I've been thinking about playing around with
Prisoners Chain but don't really like the increase to damage taken
also have my eye on the
Wolf Ring
. Which rings are other melee characters using?

ZangBa

Yup, and it was still rife with lagstabs and the likes.

And yet... almost every PvP encounter in DS3 has worse lag. I can't count the number of times where I'd hit r1, and then a full second later hear the clang on the shield (or the damage dealt). This sort of delay was fairly rare in DeS and only happened when playing against people with either extremely bad connections, or when people cast Anti-Magic Field (lol). Hell I played against Japanese players on the NA server and it wasn't even that bad but it's super common in DS3. WTF...

Oh, wow. I've invaded at least a hundred times so far and haven't had that kind of lag. It's closer to DS2 to me, where there's a ton of phantom range. I haven't even seen a lagstab yet, lots of whiffed backstabs which I'm glad are still a thing from DS2, this time doing an attack, though.

I did have only a few, like 5 or 6 cases, where there were no animations from my opponent and he was just sliding around, that was weird. Fixed it by restarting the PS4.

The phantom range is crazy large, but overall I'm happy with it. Will take some getting used to.

TitusTroy

is it me or are the bosses somewhat easier the very first time you encounter them?...many times I fought a boss for the first time and thought "this isn't so bad" and got his health bar under 50%...but then on subsequent tries he seems much harder for some reason...is it my imagination or is the AI easier the first time?

Sullichin

?
No, I am not sarcastic whatsoever. Demon's Souls has my favourite PvP still despite its flaws.

....I have no idea what part of the game you are referring to. Goat demon? Old King Antechamber? What the hell are those? o_O

I'm sure it's gonna be obvious but right now I'm just confused lol. Are the goat demons those monsters in
Demon Ruins
?

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. The guys down there that make fire orbs. There's a bonfire with one near an illusory wall that I was farming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom