• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

What does a stat distribution look like for a build that uses FUG? I know 50 Strength is the requirement but how much vitality is needed to keep your equip load reasonable.
Considering that Vitality is a garbage stat in this game, you just put enough vitality so you can actually wield the weapon, maybe a shield and then the cheapest clothes you can wear.

You can level up Vitality to the first soft cap which is around 25-27ish (I forgot how much exactly). You get like 2 Physical resistance per upgrade which is nice but that's about it.

Armor you have on doesn't make a big enough difference to damage mitigation for physical attack (might make a difference for other resistances) as long as you have something equipped in the all the slots. The only major thing that armor changes is give you more poise but even then poise itself is not a strong stat in this game either and it's very hard to make your character tank through virtually anything.

My current stats are 50 Str, 40 Endurance (cap), 35 Vigor, 28 Vit. Rest are unchanged. The weapon hits like a truck and I can take out the first phase of NK in like 4-5 hits plus the Visceral.

kagamin

image.0.png

Excellent. I genuinely like a few NPCs, and would hate to see them harmed. Except that
Leonhard
guy. I straight up killed him in the Shrine.

For that guy, if you do his quest line, you get to kill him AND you get a sweet weapon off of him, missed opportunity imo.

SkylineRKR

I didn't invest in Vit at all and can run those swords. Its about wearing lighter stuff, perhaps using Havel ring and Ring of Favor.

Ah, damn. I hadn't looked into the endings too much, as to not spoil anything, but I wanted to make sure to finish her (and a few other NPC) questline and make sure they don't die. I dun goof'd?

Pretty sure if she's at firelink after you met her at the Church of Yorshka, then you're still good for her questline.

Sullichin

Like you were going to put any points into anything else in the first place. My favorite requirements are with Morne's Great Hammer 50 Str and 30 Faith. Have fun having no points in anywhere else.

How is the weapon skill with that? I noticed it doesn't scale with faith

Citadel

For that guy, if you do his quest line, you get to kill him AND you get a sweet weapon off of him, missed opportunity imo.

.. CRAP. Yeah, all he dropped was his mask when I got him. Welp, I'll probably replay this game at least twice more. Incredibly fun, and the story is so open-ended. I'm rolling with a "nice-hearted" character who's a part of the Covenant of the Sun, so next time I'll try his quest-line and join Rosaria's Fingers

Pretty sure if she's at firelink after you met her at the Church of Yorshka, then you're still good for her questline.
Phew, OK, great to hear. I was worried that I had screwed up and inadvertently killed her.

Thanks for all the responses

Spoo

I have some questions regarding achievements since I've decided to try to get all of them.

On Rings:
I am missing a few rings already from NG that I cannot get anymore -- either because they are tied to broken subquests, or because you have to grind them out. I understand that some rings are only acquirable on NG+* modes, which is fine, but do any of the rings on regular NG become impossible to acquire if you roll over into NG+*? Will the regular NG rings still be available even if + version are (meaning, there will be two of the rings in the game on NG+, and 3 of them on NG++?). Also, will I be able to continue grinding for the covenant rings on NG+* modes?

Are there any major "lockouts" that will occur from rolling into NG+* modes? (things I can't get anymore that are tied to achievements for *only* NG mode?)

Also, does anybody have a decent guide for the sidequests so I can track my progress easily? Feels like, even if you know what you're doing, it can be easy to break those sidequests which are necessary for certain items. Thanks in advance!

DSmalls84

Considering that Vitality is a garbage stat in this game, you just put enough vitality so you can actually wield the weapon, maybe a shield and then the cheapest clothes you can wear.

You can level up Vitality to the first soft cap which is around 25-27ish (I forgot how much exactly). You get like 2 Physical resistance per upgrade which is nice but that's about it.

Armor you have on doesn't make a big enough difference to damage mitigation for physical attack (might make a difference for other resistances) as long as you have something equipped in the all the slots. The only major thing that armor changes is give you more poise but even then poise itself is not a strong stat in this game either and it's very hard to make your character tank through virtually anything.

My current stats are 50 Str, 40 Endurance (cap), 35 Vigor, 28 Vit. Rest are unchanged. The weapon hits like a truck and I can take out the first phase of NK in like 4-5 hits plus the Visceral.

What armor and shield are you able to wear? I am using the Fallen Knight's armor and the Shield of Want and hopefully I can keep those while wielding it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
5 Ashen Estus for now. It's more than enough. I mostly cast my way through things too. But it's always good to have my Raw Estoc on me depending on the situation.
5 ashen vs how many standard? I don't know how far you are or if you got all 15 or what. ^^

Right now I roll with 2 ashen and 8 normal so it's not bad, but before I found a couple of shards I found it pretty gimping to sacrifice normal Estus...

The annoying thing is the huge stat investment before you actually feel like you're playing your build.

Pure melee you just need to invest some phys damage stats, and the rest are free for health and endurance. Go caster and you have to level FP, faith or int as well, and you have to buy spells, and you have to upgrade your catalyst alongside the weapon, and you have to rescue NPCs/find scrolls/etc, and designate some of your estus to mana

Feels like it took forever for my pyromancer to really get going. And now all 4 of my ring slots are devoted to pyro dmg/spell cast time so I have no freedom there either.

Just had a much breezier time swinging around heavy STR weapons.
This. Agreed with all of the above. In my early mage playthrough I was barely levelling up because I spent all my souls on buying spells.

Plus the Estus sacrifice. It's crippling at the start, you make one mistake and say, need 2 estus to refill your health, bam, you're already down to 1 or 2 left (assuming you kept 1 or 2 towards Ashen).

I feel like one of these things could have balanced the game for early-game mages (without being too game-breaking powerful):
- Don't allocate Estus vs Ashen Estus. Start everyone with 1 Ashen Estus, and find blue shards to upgrade them (or maybe make them buyable/quest rewards for magic-specific quest lines, like buying spells from/bring scrolls to Orbeck and he gives you an additional Ashen flask or something). Maybe up to 5 max in the game. Gate the additional Ashen flasks behind int/faith stat requirements if you feel it'd make non-magic weapon arts too powerful, maybe.
- Remove Ashen flasks altogether. Make FP refillable by consumables like spice/amber herbs.
- Make early spells consume less FP. If you want to play a pure mage you run out real fast otherwise. Orrrr make spells a bit more powerful so you don't need to cast as many.
- A combination of 1 and 2: have some automatic Ashen Estus, maybe 1 or 2, so you always have something to refill FP and don't need to farm, but have additional, perhaps semi-rare (like Amber Herbs), consumables to refill FP when you run out of Ashen Estus. Hidden Blessings are way too rare and expensive so they can't fill that role.
- Just like killing some enemies sometimes give you a bonus Estus, have the same for Ashen Estus.

Yeah, I'm bitter about the Ashen Estus thing lol. I don't like it right now. Maybe I'll appreciate it later, but I'm already at the Catacombs and I still don't feel like a pure mage at all and use my sword pretty often. So far, I feel like DS2 had the best magic system.

Anyone got any tips for
the two dog creatures behind the illusory wall in Anor Lando?
Lure one with the bow (I usually pick the one that's on the left of you since one day I lured the other and while fighting I aggro'd the other so he seems to aggro more easily) to fight them 1v1.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyone got any tips for

Bow to aggro. Climb up ladder and wait for it to move to a convenient location. Double tap "Run" to drop off the ladder and do a drop attack. Should give you an edge. After that fight it as far back as possible so the other doesn't aggro.
Currently fighting
the dancer
,how far am i? 70%?

Ish, depending on how much optional stuff you want to do.

eot

Banned
Just got to P
rofaned
C
apital(?)

There were two cells I never managed to find the key for. One, seemingly empty one, down on the floor with the 6 jailor assholes, and one on the floor the prisoner kicks you down onto (with an item inside). It felt like a self contained area so I was expecting to be able to open them. Didn't find any illusory walls though.

Holy shit, just started this game. The first boss is amazing. Took at least 5 tries to beat it, I started as Deprived and man, that's a tough battle until you've learned when to roll. I've been playing DS2 because I had never beaten that game, and DS3 just feels so fresh despite being another game in the same series. Really loving the changes in the battle system that I'm immediately feeling. Thank god ranged attacks don't track ridiculously anymore! And no more insta-rotating of enemies! This is gonna be a great ride.

Sblargh

Banned
Just got to P
rofaned
C
apital(?)

There were two cells I never managed to find the key for. One, seemingly empty one, down on the floor with the 6 jailor assholes, and one on the floor the prisoner kicks you down onto (with an item inside). It felt like a self contained area so I was expecting to be able to open them. Didn't find any illusory walls though.

There is a key on this area that opens two doors on the area you just passed through.

So I'm at A
rchDragon Pea
k and there's a message saying don't ring the bell if I want to continue on
the Path of a Dragon
. What does this mean?

psychotron

The Dark Sword. Using that weapon with a strength build and using a heavy gem after you reach level 40, will turn the game into easy mode.

I'm Level 46 atm, and level 27 strength. +4 Dark Sword with Heavy Infusion. Haven't met an enemy yet I couldn't chop down.

Sblargh

Banned
So I'm at A
rchDragon Pea
k and there's a message saying don't ring the bell if I want to continue on
the Path of a Dragon
. What does this mean?

If you don't ring the bell, you can keep going and eventually find an item. After ringing the bell, you open the way to the boss, but lose the item. So, so just grab the item, backtrack, then ring the bell.

Lakitu

st5fu
If you don't ring the bell, you can keep going and eventually find an item. After ringing the bell, you open the way to the boss, but lose the item. So, so just grab the item, backtrack, then ring the bell.

What's the item? I missed it.

Anyone have any useful tips for the
Nameless King
, it seems hit or miss to dodge attacks in his first phase. Is it possible to summon friends for the fight? I see summon signs but they never work, the one guy I managed to summon by the bonfire left when I went to go into the fog door. I am using the Spirit Tree shield, and a +10 weapon.

Yeah its have the same issue it's bugged. Someone tried to tell me it's totally not a bug and relating to me not pressing x before someone else gets the summon. Only had this issue in this specific area. Just had no problems summoning for a different boss.

The other I have is that it takes ages for even 1 summon sign to appear. Yet other areas are totally covered.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone have any useful tips for the
Nameless King
, it seems hit or miss to dodge attacks in his first phase. Is it possible to summon friends for the fight? I see summon signs but they never work, the one guy I managed to summon by the bonfire left when I went to go into the fog door. I am using the Spirit Tree shield, and a +10 weapon.
Dodge a lot. Don't get greedy. One hit at the time, two at the most (if you have a very fast weapon). Block with your shield on emergencies only (this one has good lightning block at least, right?), since he drains a lot of stamina, so dodging is better.

Some of his attacks can be dodged too soon, others too late, so it's difficult to get the timing right. When he leaps in the air, wait at least one or two seconds before dodging (too soon and he'll track you). When he does weapon swings, make sure he finished his combo before getting a hit in, or you'll trade hits (or worse, get interrupted and take tons of damage).

He's really hard, probably the hardest boss of the game for me. Good luck.

Two handing adds half of your str as a bonus (at least in other DS games).
It was 2x in DS2, so you needed 25 strength to two-hand a 50 str weapon. I'm not sure about DS3 though.

Currently fighting
the dancer
,how far am i? 70%?
Hmm depends if you did optional areas like
Smouldering Lake
. If so, I'd say 75-80%, if not, yeah 65-70% maybe?

Double tap "Run" to drop off the ladder
Ohhh so that's how you do it. Thanks. In DS2 it was just tapping once.

Jelle

Man, so frustrating. I was miles away from the last bonfire, I get invaded for the second time by some warrior, I dodge and run, while holding off a huge undead guy that walked around on that spot, managed to escaped both, running and thinking the next bonfire would be near. Instead, I run into into a killing field of enemies and lost my souls dying. Aaargh!

My heart is still racing.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but is anyone else getting occasional stuttering in-game? It seems to happen intermittently, when the game it loading something new, like an enemy appearing, or the moment I pick up an item. I have 8gb of ram, and I've recently copied over DS3 to my main SSD hard drive, but the problem is still there..

Lux R7

On armors, i experienced a considerable difference between taking hits with a complete "heavy" set equipped vs any medium armor.
I think armor matters, but you have to spend points in vitality of course.

Anyone got any tips for

As soon as you get down the ladder use a bow on the one directly in front of you, you can then fight that one in the corner 1v1. As long as you don't go in the line of sight of the other then it should be fine

I have some questions regarding achievements since I've decided to try to get all of them.

On Rings:
I am missing a few rings already from NG that I cannot get anymore -- either because they are tied to broken subquests, or because you have to grind them out. I understand that some rings are only acquirable on NG+* modes, which is fine, but do any of the rings on regular NG become impossible to acquire if you roll over into NG+*? Will the regular NG rings still be available even if + version are (meaning, there will be two of the rings in the game on NG+, and 3 of them on NG++?). Also, will I be able to continue grinding for the covenant rings on NG+* modes?

Are there any major "lockouts" that will occur from rolling into NG+* modes? (things I can't get anymore that are tied to achievements for *only* NG mode?)

Also, does anybody have a decent guide for the sidequests so I can track my progress easily? Feels like, even if you know what you're doing, it can be easy to break those sidequests which are necessary for certain items. Thanks in advance!

Nothing in the game is missable, all rings respawn on NG+. The +1 and +2 are all in different locations form the normal rings

Dodge a lot. Don't get greedy. One hit at the time, two at the most (if you have a very fast weapon). Block with your shield on emergencies only (this one has good lightning block at least, right?), since he drains a lot of stamina, so dodging is better.

Some of his attacks can be dodged too soon, others too late, so it's difficult to get the timing right. When he leaps in the air, wait at least one or two seconds before dodging (too soon and he'll track you). When he does weapon swings, make sure he finished his combo before getting a hit in, or you'll trade hits (or worse, get interrupted and take tons of damage).

He's really hard, probably the hardest boss of the game for me. Good luck.

Yeah I'm using the Lothric Straight Sword at +10 with a sharp gem. I just wish I could consistently get him to the second phase. 90% of my issues stems from keeping a target lock on the dragon.

gk1225

Neo Member
I can hook you up, but I won't be home to do it for another 6-7hrs ; ;

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I was trying other ways to get it, even rented another copy of the game for my brother's PS4 but I can't seem to get the password matchmaking to work. It's like the game really doesn't want me to have the item. Anyway, I'm going to keep trying but if it still doesn't work, I'll send you a PM later. Thanks again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it worth it to attune spells at a bonfire with a strength build?
Eh... depends? If you have a bit of int and/or faith, some support spells like Magic Weapon, Tears of Denial etc. can be useful, but most str builds tend to be melee only and do just fine too. It's really up to you.

Personally, Tears of Denial saved my ass during the final boss (I had low faith and even equipped the +5 faith ring to attune it, lol), but YMMV. :D

Definitely not 2x in DS3... I wasn't able to wield it with str 30.
Ah okay, must be back at 1.5 then.

kagamin

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but is anyone else getting occasional stuttering in-game? It seems to happen intermittently, when the game it loading something new, like an enemy appearing, or the moment I pick up an item. I have 8gb of ram, and I've recently copied over DS3 to my main SSD hard drive, but the problem is still there..

My issues relating to this were derived from saving, dunno if you have the same problems.

Korosenai

Omg, I forgot I need to get the five free levels from Yoel in ng+, which means i'll have to level to 105 :( but I like being level 100 :(

Citadel

I'm pretty sure that's just the engine that DS3 uses. Bloodborne (I believed) suffered from the same frame-pacing problem, where even though a game could be hitting a fluid 60fps, it may still appear stuttery at times.

(I could be wrong though, I'm not that technologically proficient)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I summoned the Firekeeper and killed her
but didn't get any Achievement for it...so I guess you only get them for
the 3 other endings?

Edit: I just read dmaul1114's post which stated that the ending I chose has no achievement...I wonder why that ending didn't deserve an achievement

Yeah, it's odd that they didn't have an achievement/trophy for that ending. I don't really give a shit about trophies in general, but it's mildly annoying to not have the ending one since it looks like you didn't finish, and I doubt I'll ever do another playthrough.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah I'm using the Lothric Straight Sword at +10 with a sharp gem. I just wish I could consistently get him to the second phase. 90% of my issues stems from keeping a target lock on the dragon.

Don't lock the dragon. Keep your camera trained on him manually. It makes it a lot easier. Lock when he starts to fly around, if you want, since the movement is stable. Otherwise your camera will spazz out trying to keep track of him on the ground.

ISee

I'm pretty sure that's just the engine that DS3 uses. Bloodborne (I believed) suffered from the same frame-pacing problem, where even though a game could be hitting a fluid 60fps, it may still appear stuttery at times.

(I could be wrong though, I'm not that technologically proficient)

It's not that. So far frame pacing @ 60 fps seems to be okay on PC. It's a saving problem. Many people have it occasionally and it doesn't matter how fast/good your hard drive/ssd is. Nobody seems to be sure why it occurs.

saturnine

Ok that's enough. I'm fucking done with pvp. I can't believe how they managed to shit the bed so thoroughly. Fifth game in the series, each selling more than the last, and that shit is still a busted mess. They even managed to make it worse than in Dark Souls 2 for fuck's sake.

My game drops frames like they're going out of style if I travel to too many places without closing out of the game in-between. I can see all of the textures and lighting load in during the slideshow, even with graphics on the lowest settings, and it's kicked me to the title multiple times because of it. I have the same ram as you and a pretty sizable pagefile, so I don't know :/. Might just be my 6850 showing its age.

Starting to really get into this now and as with Bloodborne the more I play the more I love it. Overall I think the game is great so far, but maybe just a hair away from the brilliance of Bloodborne, mostly when it comes to the level design, this doesn't quite have the perfect flow as BB and to the art direction. Still I'm absolutely loving the game and I can already now say this will be high when it comes to my GOTY. Just recently beat
High Lord Wolnir and after entered the beautiful snow filled world
. Can't wait to play more tonight.

gk1225

Neo Member
Would anyone be willing to test password matchmaking with me? I am trying to match with my brother but it is not working and I really want to know if there is problem with the connection (we are on the same network) or maybe there is a problem with High Wall of Lothric. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom