• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, every door or open area, or large room I think "oh no boss battle! I am not ready" only to have the door open to an elevator or a bonfire.
Then a giant tree attacked me and I fell down. I had no idea that was going to happen.

Question: Is
Havel's armor
in the game?
is it me or are the bosses somewhat easier the very first time you encounter them?...many times I fought a boss for the first time and thought "this isn't so bad" and got his health bar under 50%...but then on subsequent tries he seems much harder for some reason...is it my imagination or is the AI easier the first time?

Don't think so. It's just a lot easier to face some of them when you don't know what they can actually do to you.

Ignorance is bliss!

Thanks for the advice, I tried this but it still isn't working. I don't know if its the network (on the same network) or the location (High Wall) but I just can't get it to work. All I want to do is get to the first
mimic
to use the charms to get the
symbol of avarice
because I killed them all in my game and didn't get it.
Is there a big differences in level? That will also make the search longer as well.

Ferr986

is it me or are the bosses somewhat easier the very first time you encounter them?...many times I fought a boss for the first time and thought "this isn't so bad" and got his health bar under 50%...but then on subsequent tries he seems much harder for some reason...is it my imagination or is the AI easier the first time?

your imagination. AI doesn't change. It's probably you losing focus when you keep dying. It happens.

2AdEPT

Oh, wow. I've invaded at least a hundred times so far and haven't had that kind of lag. It's closer to DS2 to me, where there's a ton of phantom range. I haven't even seen a lagstab yet, lots of whiffed backstabs which I'm glad are still a thing from DS2, this time doing an attack, though.

I did have only a few, like 5 or 6 cases, where there were no animations from my opponent and he was just sliding around, that was weird. Fixed it by restarting the PS4.

The phantom range is crazy large, but overall I'm happy with it. Will take some getting used to.

Im pretty sure the lag is caused not as much by anything FROM is doing but in the wide variety of internet connections and speeds across regions. Although I have good multiplayer most of the time, the enemies usually take the short end of it and freeze. Although several times I couldnt engage the boss door despite seeing the host inside fighting the watchers, for example. THis likely is caused by a disparity in internet connections...my upload speed is 6MBPS and my download is 100. If the dedicated servers are less than this (likely) we are the mercy of the servers as the common denominator, but if someone is lower than the servers speed my guess is that it causes problems.

Ogawa-san

Followed Orbeck's questline to the letter. Gave him all tomes, bought everything, he
left "satisfied"
, in the end I didn't get the gesture. Good thing I wasn't going for a platinum or completion, or I'd be buying a physical copy of the game so I could stomp it.

Also finally gotten the
hollow
ending. A true dead dove moment, I don't know what I expected. It was very much not worth the time I've put into it. But I'm sure
I'll find a perfectly good fan explanation to make sense out of that 10s cutscene, and why it should've been awesome

I guess I'm just tired of all the From obtuseness, from NPC queslines to the story.

I've kinda felt like most bosses go into one of 2 states upon starting the battle. First there is just the normal well rounded mode where you get a good variety of moves and is not super aggressive. The other mode is the boss just being a complete troll jerk and just spams their most annoying moves non-stop, refer to
Aldrich spamming the arrows over and over again

To be serious though, I think the bosses react more to how you are fighting and the range you are engaging at.

Unai

This was beautiful and got me by surprise:

13071954_1159045877447179_5810209527025168094_o.jpg

Jamesways

Damn you. I only have 9 luck, but I must have tried at least 10 times so far. I can only get the Lothric stuff, apparently.

Is the
Dark Sword
even that good? I have a +6 Heavy Broadsword that will eventually do A scaling with STR, which is what I'm rolling with... How much better can that sword be?

The funny thing is the regular Longsword ends up with better stats than the Broadsword.

I'm using the Lothric Knight sword this time around, doesn't scale as well, but I like the reach and look of it better.

gk1225

Neo Member
I'm sure you've probably already done this, but make sure you set summon sign visibility as unrestricted in the options menu and set regional matchmaking off, too (although that second one shouldn't matter). Can you see other summon signs? I assume you are using the new character to summon since the character that needs the item has probably already cleared the zone and can't summon.

Yea I have done all that. Both characters are embered, passwords and settings are the same but the sign just wont show up in the new characters game.

Is there a big differences in level? That will also make the search longer as well.

The difference in level is 14 for the summoner to 119 for the summoned. I thought password matches didn't have any restrictions, does level still matter? Even if it does, I have been waiting for over an hour at various locations. It is becoming really frustrating.

z3phon

I've got a question about
Archdragon Peak
and how to get there.
So you need to use the Path of the Dragon gesture next to the petrified dragon statue to be transported to Archdragon peak.
I was watching a twitch stream and that's what helped me figure out how to get to
Archdragon Peak.
So if someone's playing the game blind. How does a player figure out to do this on their own?

edit: added spoilers

ElFly

Orbeck disappeared from the Shrine.

I never gave him any stupid scrolls (cause I never found any???! where the fuck are they)

*sigh*

Where can I get his ashes so the lady can sell his stuff.

myco666

Ok that's enough. I'm fucking done with pvp. I can't believe how they managed to shit the bed so thoroughly. Fifth game in the series, each selling more than the last, and that shit is still a busted mess. They even managed to make it worse than in Dark Souls 2 for fuck's sake.

Was it ever good though? Honestly only fun thing about invading for me is causing as much chaos as possible. For that the PVP still works fine but I feel like there should be way more trolling stuff like scraping spear.

Followed Orbeck's questline to the letter. Gave him all tomes, bought everything, he
left "satisfied"
, in the end I didn't get the gesture. Good thing I wasn't going for a platinum or completion, or I'd be buying a physical copy of the game so I could stomp it.

Also finally gotten the
hollow
ending. A true dead dove moment, I don't know what I expected. It was very much not worth the time I've put into it. But I'm sure
I'll find a perfectly good fan explanation to make sense out of that 10s cutscene, and why it should've been awesome

I guess I'm just tired of all the From obtuseness, from NPC queslines to the story.

You are not supposed to get a gesture from that. Only a ring.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh, wow. I've invaded at least a hundred times so far and haven't had that kind of lag. It's closer to DS2 to me, where there's a ton of phantom range. I haven't even seen a lagstab yet, lots of whiffed backstabs which I'm glad are still a thing from DS2, this time doing an attack, though.

I did have only a few, like 5 or 6 cases, where there were no animations from my opponent and he was just sliding around, that was weird. Fixed it by restarting the PS4.

The phantom range is crazy large, but overall I'm happy with it. Will take some getting used to.
Yeah I don't know why it's been that bad for me. It wasn't like that in the other games. Maybe I'm just unlucky and keep getting Japanese players? Or wait, are people playing the Japanese version even on the same server?

Question: Is
Havel's armor
in the game?
Haven't found it but I did find
his weapon and shield

Tarkus

This was beautiful and got me by surprise:
I must know where this is. I'm at Farron Keep. How far away?
The funny thing is the regular Longsword ends up with better stats than the Broadsword.

I'm using the Lothric Knight sword this time around, doesn't scale as well, but I like the reach and look of it better.
Lothric Knight Sword is basically designed for Refined infusion. Goes to B/B. Read the Refined Gem's item description.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
I've got a question about Archdragon Peak and how to get there. So you need to use the Path of the Dragon gesture next to the petrified dragon statue to be transported to Archdragon peak. I was watching a twitch stream and that's what helped me figure out how to get to Archdragon Peak.
So if someone's playing the game blind. How does a player figure out to do this on their own?

When I played the game, the area to go to the peak seemed out of place compared to the rest of the dungeon. The "spot" next to the petrified being implied that you needed something(just like the painted world in dk1). When I got a certain gesture, I figured out what to do. I recently played bloodborne though, so I figured the developers would do something similar in fashion.

2AdEPT

LOL. YOu will get all kinds of people that swear there was a leak in Bloodborne but it was never officially reported. The wide range of variability in the AI, and all bets are off if using multiplayer, my assisting on the Lord Boss in Carthus had him freeze and do nothing, e.g. but there naturally is a wide range of things the boss can do at a certain time. The stupid King of Demons Ruins boss OHK me a couple times with a combo of his best and fastest attacks, but this didtn happen all the time, and more often than not most experienced players should be able to one shot this boss (meaning get it first try.)

So is the DEmon King a "hard" boss? It depends....this can be said for all bosses. My winning run on the Watchers was a breeze, thanks in large part owing to me kiting the Darkwraiths to the fog door, but I died on the first phase (as seen in this video) just prior to my winning run.

Jamesways

Lothric Knight Sword is basically designed for Refined infusion. Goes to B/B. Read the Refined Gem's item description.

Indeed, that's what I'm using. I like this infusion system this time, you can really craft something to your build's strengths, and still buff something on top if it's not element infused.

It's nice that you can remove or change them easily too.

daninthemix

Just got spanked by the Twin Princes which surprised me as I did 6 of the 7 previous bosses in one attempt, and no-one ever seems to mention this fight.. Had the NPC with me, and the problem is he just has so much health, when you count both phases.

Unai

I must know where this is. I'm at Farron Keep. How far away?

It's on the
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
just after the first boss there. I think it's two of three areas after where you are, depending of you already did the other area that you could be right now.

I wonder if Poise really does do anything, really. I'm gonna make a warrior character specifically for max poise. I will need enough VIT to at least fat roll along with a three rings I have in mind. Will be difficult considering everything not including my weapon will weigh 83.7. Though, three out of four rings should increase max equip load too. I plan for at least 60 VIT.

Tarkus

It's on the
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
just after the first boss there. I think it's two of three areas after where you are, depending of you already did the other area that you could be right now.
I completed the other area. Thanks! I will fast track to get there and explore later.

Ferr986

Just got spanked by the
Twin Princes
which surprised me as I did 6 of the 7 previous bosses in one attempt, and no-one ever seems to mention this fight.. Had the NPC with me, and the problem is he just has so much health, when you count both phases.

Nah, they're (with the final boss) are the boss that gave me more problems.

Didn't do NK so that may change. Was going to do it tonight but I'm somewhat drunk right now.... So I'll stay here wishing someone will summon my Bluebro ass.

Thorgal

Goddamn , the white ring is amazing for stalking and trolling people .

In case you don't know about it it causes
you to appear as a white phantom when you invade someone .

i feel like such a bastard .

go inside another players world ,act all friendly like , engage in jolly co-operation and then when i have won his trust ,BAM ! Backstabbed the poor sod .

ZangBa

Im pretty sure the lag is caused not as much by anything FROM is doing but in the wide variety of internet connections and speeds across regions. Although I have good multiplayer most of the time, the enemies usually take the short end of it and freeze. Although several times I couldnt engage the boss door despite seeing the host inside fighting the watchers, for example. THis likely is caused by a disparity in internet connections...my upload speed is 6MBPS and my download is 100. If the dedicated servers are less than this (likely) we are the mercy of the servers as the common denominator, but if someone is lower than the servers speed my guess is that it causes problems.

I think you may be right, especially so in highly populated areas. Maybe the worse lag will die down after awhile?

Yeah I don't know why it's been that bad for me. It wasn't like that in the other games. Maybe I'm just unlucky and keep getting Japanese players? Or wait, are people playing the Japanese version even on the same server?

Haven't found it but I did find
his weapon and shield

Like 2AdEPT said, might be the servers capping out with so many people trying to play at once. It is the fastest selling Souls game so maybe that's part of it. Could also be you're PvPing in a high activity area? I do all my invading in the
Smouldering Lake
. I don't know how much activity there is at that place compared to others.

Ferrio

Banned

Except we're seeing issues not present in any of the other souls games. So just saying "oh well their connection sucks" doesn't work because that's always been a factor.

ElFly

Goddamn , the white ring is amazing for stalking and trolling people .

In case you don't know about it it causes
you to appear as a white phantom when you invade someone .

i feel like such a bastard .

go inside another players world ,act all friendly like , engage in jolly co-operation and then when i have won his trust ,BAM ! Backstabbed the poor sod .

Wait.

Don't they get the typical

Dark Spirit xxxSaiyanSephiroth420xxx has invaded

banner?

Except we're seeing issues not present in any of the other souls games. So just saying "oh well their connection sucks" doesn't work because that's always been a factor.

Maybe it is the same thing, but the engine change causes different symptoms

cause in DS2 you had the whole crazy-out-of-sync-hitting-people-where-they-were-three-seconds-ago common incidents

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
i'm confused. guess i should just look up the trophy list once i beat the last boss.
One trophy requires you to get 5 "free" levels. If you do this questline in NG+ after reaching a certain level, well, that means you need to go over the level you had (in his case he wanted to stop at level 100 but for the trophy will have to go to 105).

Of course I don't know why he doesn't just create a new character... :p

Ferr986

Wait.

Don't they get the typical

Dark Spirit xxxSaiyanSephiroth420xxx has invaded

banner?

Not using that ring, but I'm using the Dark one, that makes you appear normal as a phantom, and it tells I'm the host, so there's actually 2 host for the invader.

phierce

i'm confused. guess i should just look up the trophy list once i beat the last boss.
He's talking about one of the trophies from one the endings.
In order to get this ending/trophy, you must take the free 5 levels from Yoel.

LiK

One trophy requires you to get 5 "free" levels. If you do this questline in NG+ after reaching a certain level, well, that means you need to go over the level you had (in his case he wanted to stop at level 100 but for the trophy will have to go to 105).

Of course I don't know why he doesn't just create a new character... :p

ohhh, i think i know what you'rer talking about. i got that on my own blind playthrough.

He's talking about one of the trophies from one the endings.
In order to get this ending/trophy, you must take the free 5 levels from Yoel.

ok, thanks. yea, i got that.

I wonder if Poise really does do anything, really. I'm gonna make a warrior character specifically for max poise. I will need enough VIT to at least fat roll along with a three rings I have in mind. Will be difficult considering everything not including my weapon will weigh 83.7. Though, three out of four rings should increase max equip load too. I plan for at least 60 VIT.

LtSquigs over at Giant Bomb's forums did a breakdown of the armor types and their overall value, and the results aren't pretty for heavy armor. It's a shame.

Mollymauk

Damn you. I only have 9 luck, but I must have tried at least 10 times so far. I can only get the Lothric stuff, apparently.

Is the
Dark Sword
even that good? I have a +6 Heavy Broadsword that will eventually do A scaling with STR, which is what I'm rolling with... How much better can that sword be?

It's good. You can get it to A scaling with a heavy gem too. I had enough stuff to get it to +4 right away, and it does more damage than my
+2 Ithryll Straight Sword

saturnine

I know right...

Demon's Souls still had the best PvP. Kinda crazy.
Sadly I was late to the Demon's Souls party, and as a newbie I spent all my time as a phantom.

Red sign soapstone pvp has been awesome in my experience

I'm not looking for duels. I want the organic experience of invasions, without the min/maxing and the highly optimised gear. I mean, duels are cool and all, I had some great ones, but it's not the same thing.

You've seen the light. I "quit" about three times, but would eventually pick the game back up for the night and give pvp a try again, until a couple days ago, when I just realized that no matter how much effort I put into it, there was nothing I could do to make it suck less. Not only are game mechanics heavily weighted to make pvp less fun this time around (i.e. infinite rolls, estus chug), but this is by far the worst implementation of covenants they've ever done. There isn't even an arena in this game at release, whereas a game released in the same series two years ago had that. How hard was it going to be to just transition that arena into this game?

That's about right. I want to like it, I really do, but it honestly feels like From just didn't give a fuck. The covenant/invasion system is a GREAT idea, and outside of Dark Souls 2 it seems like they are doing everything in their power to not expand on it bar scraping it altogether.

What I absolutely can not comprehend is how they went back on the improvements that DS2 did, especially regarding covenants. This is mind boggling.

As it is, Dark Souls 3's invasion mechanic is not working. The number of time where I'd see "phantom I****yourmom has been summoned" the second I would spawn, and I'd find the host and their retinue milling about at the bonfire instead of making progress, waiting for me to get my ass ganked or black crystal out.

It wouldn't even be hard to balance that shit : just give an item for invaders so they can summon backup if the host has an escort. Bam. Done.

While we're at it, make it so way of blue and the blue sentinels are the exact same covenant. You get help when invaded, and you get summoned when one of your bro is being invaded. And give purple nurples their reward after a number of enemy kills too. I'll wait for my check, From.

Of course, that would still leave the issue of the shittastic netcode and the fucked balance.

Was it ever good though? Honestly only fun thing about invading for me is causing as much chaos as possible. For that the PVP still works fine but I feel like there should be way more trolling stuff like scraping spear.
Chaos can be fun. I had a great invasion as a mad phantom with every color of the rainbow in the fray, and it was hilarious. But that's fairly rare in my experience, except for a very specific area.

Grudy

Am I supposed to be at Irithyl at SL 48? The enemies in this area kill me in 2 hits (also fuck the range on these casters). I can't think of anywhere else to go after killing W
olnir

How is New Game+ and beyond in this game?
Everything I've read about it makes it seem lackluster. No new weapons/spells/armor like Dark Souls 2? Just upgraded rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom