• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some assistance... Bought my buddy the game. Trying to play together.... Having real issues. How the hell do I summon him or have him summon me? We are both at the same Bon fire. We both ate embers and laid down white soap stones... Are we not able to play together? This is frustrating.

Did the sequence break on NG4 and took out
Dancer, Dragonslayer Armor, Ocieros, and Champ
all before going to the Undead Settlement.

Heehee, that was fun.

Doop

Need some assistance... Bought my buddy the game. Trying to play together.... Having real issues. How the hell do I summon him or have him summon me? We are both at the same Bon fire. We both ate embers and laid down white soap stones... Are we not able to play together? This is frustrating.

In the options set your network password to the same thing.

SkylineRKR

Spoilers: That is every boss in the Souls franchise that isn't a gimmick boss.

No. Its different in this one. You could beat bosses like Aava, Freja, Sif etc with Ultra Greatswords or spells. They weren't gimmick bosses, but no Bloodborne tier either. There was more hitstun and generally a lower pace. I beat Fume and Alonne with the Moonlight Greatsword and it was perfectly doable.

In DS3 like 90% of the bosses are quick, hard hitting mofos without any stun. There is little difference in the fights and little reason not to use long swords.

It's actually a lot harder to punish than you think. Also invaders have less estus, so if you summon someone specifically for a duel but then start chugging estuses the other guy is at a massive disadvantage. It's a dick move.

All invaders and phantoms can heal in this one, so heal all you like. Healing was only annoying and in some cases frowned upon in Dark Souls 2 because invaders had very limited healing options (one slow Pyromancy and a few miracles) and hosts had literally hundreds of ways to heal. Now that the playing field is more even (both sides have estus and can also gain used flasks back by killing invaders/phantoms) I think that no matter what you're doing you should heal as much as you want to.

Of course, if you're actually in communication with the people you're fighting against and you all agree to no heals, then you should follow the rules. Otherwise I reckon healing is totally fair game in this one.

So can both players heal equally or no?

Thanks for the responses though, makes sense. I've never done PVP but I also got into the other games way after they came out, I'm thinking about trying more multiplayer stuff this time since the community still has some players who aren't crazy good.

Is there a trophy tied to the Seigward quest? Pretty sure I failed it as he's not appearing
in the kitchen past the sewers in Irithyll after I gave him his armor back

jett

D-Member
Tell me about it. My dancer char is my hard mode.

Overall,weapon balance in this game is terrible, propably the worst Souls in that regard.

It really is pretty shit. What's the point of using/upgrading the big-ass, ultra-slow ultra greatswords that only give you a couple of hits before depleting your entire stamina bar when my fully maxed out sellsword blades do just as much damage, hell even more when I set em on fire? Pointless fucking weapons.

Just went through the areas in U
ntended Graves

Oh my.

Also, it seems to me that From has been trying to make healing more viable as an aspect in PvP, but it's still largely regarded as a huge no no in duels. I kind of hope this attitude changes some day, because not everybody is "in the know" when it comes to the no healing rule.

Mollymauk

Gotten super lucky with my drops and I only have 7 luck. Scored a
refined gem
from the
red eyed knight
outside of
Emma's church
on my first try. Rocking a
+4 Refined Dark Sword
and I'm just passed the
crystal sage

#blessed

So can both players heal equally or no?

Thanks for the responses though, makes sense. I've never done PVP but I also got into the other games way after they came out, I'm thinking about trying more multiplayer stuff this time since the community still has some players who aren't crazy good.

Heals are not totally equal as phantoms and invaders have their total amount of flasks cut in half.

No. Its different in this one. You could beat bosses like Aava, Freja, Sif etc with Ultra Greatswords or spells. They weren't gimmick bosses, but no Bloodborne tier either. There was more hitstun and generally a lower pace. I beat Fume and Alonne with the Moonlight Greatsword and it was perfectly doable.

In DS3 like 90% of the bosses are quick, hard hitting mofos without any stun. There is little difference in the fights and little reason not to use long swords.

I think maybe they tried to balance it for PvP. The main armour is by level and is a flat damage soak by armour type so a weapon that does all physical in one big lump has a mathematical advantage. Greatswords also apparently have "hyper armour" on attack that gives you an advantage on trading damage with other players.

But in the main game straight swords seem to be good for breaking boss poise and greatswords don't?

Souls games are known for being weird and counter intuitive when it comes to design so you have to take your lumps I guess.

Is there any barriers for summoning friends? We can't summon each other and it's so frustrating we both have the same password set up.... I ate an ember. So did he... Still can't see soap stone. Ugh

Sblargh

Banned
While weapons are blowing me away with how varied and fun they all are and feel, spells are on the opposite end of the spectrum, all seemingly ranging from useless to "very situational" to "a ranged option that could be easily replaced with a bow".

Going pure sorcery turned out frustrating because enemies just run at you and start attacking and I am like "boy, if I were using any weapon right now, that would be better".
Hybrid builds feel better, but still, every point into int. or fth. (or both in the case of pyro) feels like a wasted point into a more traditional build.

MilkBeard

A lot of DS3 bosses actually can be stunned. Hit them on the head, or during their windup phase at the right time, or with a succession of 4-5 hits they will get stunned. I've seen it a lot in late game actually. NK in particular can be stunned in one of his animations, I watched a summon do it. Many can also be parried as well.

Playing more PvP. One last round:

Final thought?

Estoc is Bestoc. It's crazy how many people I can beat with it. The times I've gotten beat are when the other player have a greatsword/ultra greatsword and phantom range gets me. i underestimate where they can hit me.

Ogawa-san

A lot of DS3 bosses actually can be stunned. Hit them on the head, or during their windup phase at the right time, or with a succession of 4-5 hits they will get stunned. I've seen it a lot in late game actually. NK in particular can be stunned in one of his animations, I watched a summon do it. Many can also be parried as well.
Pretty sure stuns don't necessarily have to do with counter-attacks, I've stunned NK myself in between his attacks many times. It feels they have a hidden "stun" gauge, after X attacks (not consecutive) they'll go down but like bleed or poison it can decay and reset.

Besides, with most bosses having infinite poise and you having close to none even while swinging a cinderblock, trying to counter-hit is conceding a free hit.

MilkBeard

I'm curious now. The Darkdrift has a FP attack that will 'pierce through any shield.' The only thing is that it's really hard to land a hit. I wonder if it will do damage through the Havel shield.

This is absolutely gold.

I wonder if a hollow twin dagger + bleed (bleed build up ignores shield) would do well against such builds
Chaos Blade has bleed and it didn't do shit.

--

Really, I'm surprised none of these guys did the ol' trick of circle strafe for the backstab fishing. Seems like it will work against it as long as you don't get stunned from the shield.

zma1013

So what level is everyone ending at? Im 75, havent been grinding, and i think im maybe 2/3rd done with the game? I feel super powerful too.

Man the servers have been lagging all day and does anyone know if From caps the soul level of invaders? Because does 2 shopped me with a thrusting sword which was crazy.

MrHoot

I'm curious now. The Darkdrift has a FP attack that will 'pierce through any shield.' The only thing is that it's really hard to land a hit. I wonder if it will do damage through the Havel shield.

Chaos Blade has bleed and it didn't do shit.

--

Really, I'm surprised none of these guys did the ol' trick of circle strafe for the backstab fishing. Seems like it will work against it as long as you don't get stunned from the shield.

Wait so it COMPLETELY blocks off bleed unlike small/mid shields ? Even with the resin ? Dayumn son

I'm running with a pure STR build, Heavy Great Club and
Old King's Great Hammer
as needed. The build seems REALLY good (for PvE). I one shot most things.

Soul level 51, 30 STR. Heavy gem.

Side note: The
Skeletons in Catacombs
SUCK.

I'm a level 31 knight and trying to figure out what to level. So far I've pumped most of my points to Vigor (25). I noticed if I level Strength my weapon attack power is unchanged. I remember in Bloodborne I would level Strength and my character would significantly improve his attack. Is that not the case here? Should I not be putting points into strength?

I'm using a fire Uchigatana.

lmao @ both videos doing the exact same thing to a Chaos Blade user

Anything Havel related: ruining PvP since 2011.

I wonder if a hollow twin dagger + bleed (bleed build up ignores shield) would do well against such builds
Iron Pinapple's vid features him fighting a player with a Shotel (which should have bleed) and it didn't even create the slightest build up of bleed.

MilkBeard

lmao @ both videos doing the exact same thing to a Chaos Blade user

Anything Havel related: ruining PvP since 2011.

Iron Pinapple's vid features him fighting a player with a Shotel (which should have bleed) and it didn't even create the slightest build up of bleed.

I suppose this will get a nerf soon, just like the ninja flipping full Havel set users in Dark Souls back in the day.

Baalzebup

I'm a level 31 knight and trying to figure out what to level. So far I've pumped most of my points to Vigor (25). I noticed if I level Strength my weapon attack power is unchanged. I remember in Bloodborne I would level Strength and my character would significantly improve his attack. Is that not the case here? Should I not be putting points into strength?

Fire weapons don't gain any bonus damage from any stats. Zero scaling. What stats improve your attack, and how much, depends on the weapon and the possible modifications you've done on them. The latter is also true for Bloodborne.

A normal uchigatana scales with dex and not strength. If you infused it with a fire gem then it stops scaling with any stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom