• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
The C
rystal
S
boss was almost as scrubby as some of these mage characters I keep invading. Damn that was an easy boss

Easiest for me as well but I think it's a lock harder if you're too dependant on lock-on.
I really just rushed, backtrack and
when the boss started teleporting, I'd spin the camera around in one place waiting to see the first one with purple magic and then run to it.
Died once because I was not expecting a boss there at all haha.

I beated the game!!1 For a seasoned souls player this is definitely really balanced. Never too frustrating, didn't have a lot of trouble with any boss really save 1 or 2 but even then it was very doable. Great game. The design is incredible. Miyazaki is a G.

shadewolf

Just looking for some direction, and have been trying to stay spoiler free so far ... I cleared out the
Catacombs
and can now go through either
Irithyll
or the
Cathedral of the Deep
... Currently level 47ish.

Tecnniqe

Banned
jesus guys quick tip

if you're having a duel, don't heal. What a dick move. I beat a guy who heaed 4 times while I didn't heal once in a duel
Yeah duel is a honor game, no scrub heals.

Invasions on the other hand is free for all, anything goes.

On the other hand I'm considering starting a pyro build, any of you done that yet?
Is it hard to get going?

Ferr986

You best be joking. Anyone remember Arcane rifle spear back in Bloodborne? That shit was a completely broken weapon and it could two-three hit bosses and made overall PvP an extremely asinine experience, plus it took From almost a month to fix it with a patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRdbO7Nb9yA

I said overall balancing (in, straight swords and estocs are so way better than using any of the slower weapons). The rifle was 1 weapon that had a bug with ARC gems scaling.

I said overall balancing (in, straight swords and estocs are so way better than using any of the slower weapons). The rifle was 1 weapon that had a bug with ARC gems scaling.
You mean Bloodborne didn't have any balancing issue with people just abusing bloodtinge chikage/evelyn builds? Those two weapons pretty much made the overall pvp experience garbage.

Drake

I know you're not supposed to chug Estus during duels, but what if someone invades you while you're pve'ing?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any suggestions for a weapon for crystal infusion on my mage? Considering rapier, estoc, four-pronged plow (I like having a trident looking weapon lol), something with low dex/str requirements until I find the
MLGS

I'm at the
Catacombs
boss (cleared
Smouldering Lake
so I got a chaos gem). Speaking of, that last area (SL) was absolute pain with my mage until my friend joined me for coop. I was still using a fire-infused Astora Straight Sword, which sucked there, but magic wasn't doing so well either. At least pew pewing the boss worked this time, lol.

Anyone?

Whats a good dex weapon that hits hard?
The katanas are good. Uchi, and later in the game
onikiri and ubadachi, and the chaos blade

Solo smelter blue + solo lud and zallen are easily harder than anything in DS3 tbqh...
I don't think Smelter is that hard (but the area before him can eat a dick), I agree with Lud & Zallen though. Fume Knight and Sir Alonne are also harder than almost any DS3 bosses. Retried them way more than even TNK.

MilkBeard

Yeah duel is a honor game, no scrub heals.

Invasions on the other hand is free for all, anything goes.

On the other hand I'm considering starting a pyro build, any of you done that yet?
Is it hard to get going?
Many of the pyro spells have little or no stat requirements.

Ferr986

You mean Bloodborne didn't have any balancing issue with people just abusing bloodtinge chikage/evelyn builds? Those two weapons pretty much made the overall pvp experience garbage.

Chikage wasnt't really that OP IMO. Especially not in PvP, when it only had R1 spam so you were an easy prey to someone that know to parry.

Still, of course every Souls game had balancing problems. I just think this one has the most IMO. I think it's also part of being a more fast paced Souls.

Portugeezer

Damn, I loaded an old cloud save to see if I could get the different ending...

Time of the save looked good, then I load it and see it's a few days old... time of save was good, but not the date... feelsbadman. And of course it overwrites the original save.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Damn, I loaded an old cloud save to see if I could get the different ending...

Time of the save looked good, then I load it and see it's a few days old... time of save was good, but not the date... feelsbadman. And of course it overwrites the original save.

That'll teach you to save scum. :p

Yeah I've definitely hit an enjoyment wall with this game, unfortunately. Beat Dancer, but barely had fun with it, and the area directly after is the pits. Nowhere near as enjoyable as Bloodborne was for me.

Really hope a sequel for that is coming.

that's fine in PvE

but in duels it's a dick move

I'm not sure. I'm certainly okay with invaders and hosts healing.
I feel like it adds another step/layer to the fight where you are essentially managing resources. More importantly, it can influence weapon selection.

I can heal safely (most of the time) if someone is using a great sword. However, the quicker weapons make it much more difficult and I'm at risk of wasting my time or dying during the animation.
I get the other perspective, but at this stage it's not really bothered me.

Taruranto

So I just rescued
Yoel
and I have the option to draw out my true power.

My understanding is this gets you a free level when you use it, but I still don't understand the penalty. You get a dark sigil, right? Which makes you hollow.

But hollowing doesn't seem to have any real negative effect like in DS2. So why wouldn't I do this? Is it just something to do with what ending you get? Or am I missing something?

It makes your character ugly. You'll have to spend a shitons of souls later to remove the curse (Permanently? Haven't tried it).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, goddammit...I was trying to do an 'all quests' run and i just decided I didn't like the one assassin, so I said fuck it and killed him.

Now I regret it... :(

Yeah I've definitely hit an enjoyment wall with this game, unfortunately. Beat Dancer, but barely had fun with it, and the area directly after is the pits. Nowhere near as enjoyable as Bloodborne was for me.

What happens to me with these games is I hit a wall, then a few days later I'm still thinking about it.

I'll think of another strategy, take it really slow, give it another go. Unless you are a Soulsborne master/enthusiast, these games are best completed over the course of a few weeks.

They are designed to frustrate you, try to make you quit. Bloodborne was a little more forgiving in that regard. You couldn't really screw up your build or equipment.

Does anyone have recommendations for NPCs that should be killed to ensure the survival of others? I suppose I'm still fairly early in the game heading toward C
athedral of the Deep
while having strayed far enough into F
arron's Keep
to reach the O
ld Wolf
bonfire. I tried using the thread search without any immediate results. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Chikage wasnt't really that OP IMO. Especially not in PvP, when it only had R1 spam so you were an easy prey to someone that know to parry.

Still, of course every Souls game had balancing problems. I just think this one has the most IMO. I think it's also part of being a more fast paced Souls.
It's not the Chikage, it was the use of both Chikage and Evelyn Bloodtinge scale that had the balancing issue. And for the game that really didn't have that many weapon variety, the game was mostly filled with people just using these two weapons and exact same builds.

Anyway, my point is that DS3 comes to pale in balancing issue compared to DS1 and Bloodborne. So far, the only thing I hear complain from people is mostly the Estoc issue.

I know you're not supposed to chug Estus during duels, but what if someone invades you while you're pve'ing?

If I got invaded while minding my own business, anything goes. If I summoned that red or purple sign myself, I don't touch that yellow juice until my opponent does.

silva1991

Don't we all? :(

I'm not a fan of the areas after the dancer either, but i love pretty much all of their bosses.

People really need to pump up their VGR. I invaded the same person twice in I
rithyll
D
ungeon
and they literally went down with just 2 R1 hits.

pa22word

If I'm invading then I wait to see what the other guy does after I find them. Luckily in NG+ at SL120 most of the time when I'm invading I get caught in a fight club with like 6 other people who are all there to do the same thing anyways, and we all know the rules of the game.

What irks me is when I do courtesy moves like letting the dude slay the enemies first if he's in the middle of a mob, then do a gesture, and end up getting sword in the mouth for it. That happened one time and I got lucky by backstepping and catching the dude in a long combo that pretty much insta killed him. Black Knight Greatsword is no joke this time around bros, without a doubt the best version of it I've used in any game. It's two handed R1 combo is nasty. The second hit comes out as a delayed uppercut after an overhead, so if I miss a dude and he moves in to punish I unleash that and usually a third of his health bar just evaporates instantly. I can't count how many dudes I've caught with it and killed. That + knight slayers ring = lots of pissed off people in PVE lol >.>

My first save I'm a Herald that only has the Nameless King and the final boss left, so I started a new game for a sorcerer build and holy shit this is fun. I'm wrecking dudes I struggled with using the melee class. I'm at halfway fortress with 31 Intelligence, 24 Attunement, and a Hand Axe

SkylineRKR

Holy shit Luck build is real. Only 40 luck, rest allocated as I saw fit. Hit for over 400 damage with this game's blueblood sword maxed out. Higher att than my Heavy Dark Sword +10 on a 42 STR build, and hits faster. Put maxed Hollow shield next to it, and run with Blood Uchi.

Its also raining twinkling and scales from those 4 rolling fucks.

LiK

After 2 hours, I only got 9 Proofs. I think I'll just take my time farming them while I watch ENB videos. I don't wanna go insane before I jump into NG+.

What happens to me with these games is I hit a wall, then a few days later I'm still thinking about it.

I'll think of another strategy, take it really slow, give it another go. Unless you are a Soulsborne master/enthusiast, these games are best completed over the course of a few weeks.

They are designed to frustrate you, try to make you quit. Bloodborne was a little more forgiving in that regard. You couldn't really screw up your build or equipment.
Yeah I'll definitely come back, honestly these games stay in my head space until I've seen everything and beaten it, I can't quit even if I wanted.

Don't we all? :(

I'm not a fan of the areas after the dancer either, but i love pretty much all of their bosses.
I don't know what the rumors are but the gun parrying and regain system made for the most enjoyable core combat system I've ever played. I need more.

Did I screw something up? I'm in I
thryl
D
ungeon
and I got to the part with the elevator that goes up. I immediately jumped off to get the item that was right above, and the elevator continued up. Problem is, there is no lever or anything that lowers it back down, so it is just up there at the top. Is there anything I can do now, or did I miss out on something?

jesus guys quick tip

if you're having a duel, don't heal. What a dick move. I beat a guy who heaed 4 times while I didn't heal once in a duel
Just curious, I've never gotten in PVP in a Souls game but why is this a thing? I keep seeing that it's an unspoken rule that you shouldn't heal, but doesn't healing leave you open to attack? I can see how it would prolong an encounter and make thins annoyingly long, is that the reason it's frowned upon? Because maybe I'm missing something but it sort of seems like people complaining that someone is using fireballs in Street Fighter, if you don't like it learn to punish it.

Ferrio

Banned
Just curious, I've never gotten in PVP in a Souls game but why is this a thing? I keep seeing that it's an unspoken rule that you shouldn't heal, but doesn't healing leave you open to attack? I can see how it would prolong an encounter and make thins annoyingly long, is that the reason it's frowned upon? Because maybe I'm missing something but it sort of seems like people complaining that someone is using fireballs in Street Fighter, if you don't like it learn to punish it.

It's actually a lot harder to punish than you think. Also invaders have less estus, so if you summon someone specifically for a duel but then start chugging estuses the other guy is at a massive disadvantage. It's a dick move.

It's mainly for better experience for both players. If you wanna heal, heal.

But it's just more natural to work on a single health bar, instead of stretching battle to the point when it's more of an annoyance to both players.

All invaders and phantoms can heal in this one, so heal all you like. Healing was only annoying and in some cases frowned upon in Dark Souls 2 because invaders had very limited healing options (one slow Pyromancy and a few miracles) and hosts had literally hundreds of ways to heal. Now that the playing field is more even (both sides have estus and can also gain used flasks back by killing invaders/phantoms) I think that no matter what you're doing you should heal as much as you want to.

Of course, if you're actually in communication with the people you're fighting against and you all agree to no heals, then you should follow the rules. Otherwise I reckon healing is totally fair game in this one.

Gotthard Twinswords are ridiculous. Very, very good in PVE and PVP. They can scale pretty well with quality strength/dex builds but what really helps make them OP is their moveset. the rolling L1 attack is very strong.

Just saw your post, thanks. Yeah I have that and noticed, just wasn't sure about them. I may upgrade them on my next run.

Demoskinos

I so so so hate when someone summons your PvP marker and then boss gates or has like 3 phantoms with him. Like WTF is the point. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom