• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracklox

TW3 is one of my favorite games of all time, but combat is the thing with Souls games. TW3 outdoes it in every other department, but the core gameplay of Souls is what keeps me coming back 5 games in a row now. I've never found it's attempts at plot or characters even remotely decipherable, but there's an entire thread on that so I guess I've been missing something for... how long has it been since Demon's, 6 years now.

Haha. I could have written that exact post. Everything from w3 thoughts to the lore in these games is pretty much how I feel.

I mean shit, I think I've already stuffed everybody's sidequests in my current play through. May give them a go on my next run but most of that stuff doesn't interest me that much. Except maybe for Eileen in BB. She was cool.

Acorn

TW3 is one of my favorite games of all time, but combat is the thing with Souls games. TW3 outdoes it in every other department, but the core gameplay of Souls is what keeps me coming back 5 games in a row now. I've never found it's attempts at plot or characters even remotely decipherable, but there's an entire thread on that so I guess I've been missing something for... how long has it been since Demon's, 6 years now?

Yeah, don't bother. Enemies do more damage and are more relentless than ever before, blocking and dodging is way more important. If you have high vit a really strong shield is better than strong armor.

go fashion

some medium-heavy armor is cool looking so you will still need some vit to medium roll, and vit gives you more defense too

up to you.

But yeah, wearing armor for poise/defense has only been a thing in ds1 where everyone was giant(dad)/full havels

Honestly from what i've tried armor is super useless in this game, especially the heavy ones.
Thanks duders.

Styles

God, I fucking love Adrich's theme.

ZXLRI2G.gif

ramyeon

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

Holy shit....
Irithyll used to be Anor Londo.
This game man

Yeah - that was a proper "woah shit" moment when you realise.
I started catching on as I was climbing past the Silver Knights with the Greatbows, and then when you get to the old Darkmoon tomb and the elevator it dawned on me.
So fucking good.

I started catching on as I was climbing past the Silver Knights with the Greatbows, and then when you get to the old Darkmoon tomb and the elevator it dawned on me.
So fucking good.

and those
knights
cant be poisoned anymore

so git gud

Fbh

Finally had time to start this.

Initial impressions are really good so far

-Looks nice graphically
-Performance is holding up nicely on Ps4 so far. Mabye I got used to frame pacing issues after going through Bloodborne 3 times but I'm finding the issue to be less noticeable here
-First boss looked cool (was super easy, as first bosses generally are in these games)
-Holy shit did they just make one of the first enemies in the game drop an
Uchigatana
? Awesome
- Was automatic HUD a thing in the previous games? Because I just found out about it and it's great

Finally had the time to dive in and played for 2 hours. Had some diffifult time at the high walls of Lothric. Feels more difficult than the starting areas of DS1 and 2. Choose deprived btw, probably not helping.

Don't understand all the references like the throne and the giants. Is Lothric Drangleic?

Durante

I haven't posted on GAF at all for a few days now, which is pretty rare.
Between VR and Dark Souls 3 I have been spending more time actually playing games than at any other point during the past year that I can remember.

I have to say that I love the new invasion mechanics (which seem to favor invading the worlds of people who play in coop). We usually play this game in coop with a set group and have never already been invaded almost 100 times so far.

Also, a bit further into the game now (level 62) I'm exceedingly happy right now with sorcery, which I didn't expect from the early game or other people's reports. It's quite effective in PvE, and almost none of the many invaders I fought seem at all prepared to go up against a pure sorcery build and what it can throw at them in terms of damage output.

Here's a screenshot of a 3v3 battle (while using the Dried Finger, which is also amazing in this game in terms of what it does to invasions):

My only issue with the game is still that I find the aesthetic variety and nonlinearity in locations very lacking compared to DS2.

McBryBry

I thought I saw something about there being a negative effect for switching covenants a lot, but I must have made that up, haha.

There isn't that I know of. Just use whatever suits you at the time. However, I'll ALWAYS recommend that anyone just rolling PvE, equip Way of the Blue. That way if you ember and get invaded, the Blue Sentinels can get some work.

I'm at the base 8 VIT you start with as pyro and am sitting at 69.6% with three pieces of the Fallen Knight set with the Pyromancer gloves.

So considering how sexy it looks I'll likely never level VIT unless I grab a weapon heavier than the Uchigatana I'm using atm.

Before i put the game down i wanted to beat
dancer
as i hate leaving things at a boss. So this was easily the hardest boss by far. You know why? Its yet another large boss in a small room that makes the camera go to shit when you get close to a wall. I had to change my hat because i like to use that huge
witch hat thing
and several times the camera zoomed in so far all i could see was hat.

So damn annoying. After getting the boss to just a few hits away multiple times I got so annoyed i decided to just summon and get it over with. Well first time the guy died right away and i died soon after. Second time the guy also died right away. He got grabbed then stabbed and i went on to solo the whole fight anyway so theres that i guess. Took me an hour (i dont have much patience for games these days due to time constraints).

Stick this boss in a bigger room and i might have liked it but it was just constantly annoying for me. Dying because you cant see wtf is going on is a problem that is unfortunately consistant through out the series.

Before i turned the game off i decide to do a quick scout of the next area. Yet another
ruined castle full off hollows and knights and dragons breathing fire on a bridge.
its like they ran out of ideas.

Its a shame because i think this is easily the best made dark souls game. Its just all so familiar that after playing 1 and 2 its not doing much for me. However i would easily recommend it as the one to play to anyone new to souls. I wish i could erase 1 and 2 from my mind so that i could enjoy this one.

I fucking love this game so much.

Bloodborne habits have gone right out the window now. I'd love a Demon's Souls or even DS1 remaster with the same graphical fidelity that DS3/bloodborne has.

I'm 14 hours in and only just arrived at Farron Keep. Think this game is going to last me a while..... Exploring every inch, and I've still missed a few secret areas.

Dinda

Between VR and Dark Souls 3 I have been spending more time actually playing games than at any other point during the past year that I can remember.

I have to say that I love the new invasion mechanics (which seem to favor invading the worlds of people who play in coop). We usually play this game in coop with a set group and have never already been invaded almost 100 times so far.

Also, a bit further into the game now (level 62) I'm exceedingly happy right now with sorcery, which I didn't expect from the early game or other people's reports. It's quite effective in PvE, and almost none of the many invaders I fought seem at all prepared to go up against a pure sorcery build and what it can throw at them in terms of damage output.

Here's a screenshot of a 3v3 battle (while using the Dried Finger, which is also amazing in this game in terms of what it does to invasions):

My only issue with the game is still that I find the aesthetic variety and nonlinearity in locations very lacking compared to DS2.
Durante, do you have plans to maybe make gedosato compatible with ds3? Or with dx11 in general? I would especially love to use some of the texture swapping stuff like in the other dark souls.

Roarer

So, is it really rare to get summoned while in a Covenant, or get invaded as well for that matter?

Been playing for 30 hours or so, tried both Watchdogs of Farron and Blue Sentinels and I've never been summoned. Do you have to be at a specific location? Have an active ember? My covenant symbol is pulsating (which used to indicate that you could get summoned in previous games) but nothing ever happens.

Likewise, I've only ever been invaded once in 30 hours.

I've managed to summon a few phantoms and dark phantoms, though it does take a while to find someone that actually connects.

Playing on PC btw.

pa22word

Durante, do you have plans to maybe make gedosato compatible with ds3? Or with dx11 in general? I would especially love to use some of the texture swapping stuff like in the other dark souls.

It'd probably be pointless considering FS turned an about face with scholar and are now banning people for basically even sniffing the game files.

Cracklox

Sooo I used homeward bone after beating Aldrich. Now I don't know where to go. :|

Was he the 3rd Lord you killed? A cutscene should have triggered if he was. If not it sounds like you need to go for a jaunt through
irithyll dungeon

Mist

Banned
How easy is it to upgrade weapons? I'm always afraid to just reinforce my weapons, because I might come across that cool weapon later on and then I don't have enough Titanite. Right now I'm still using the Broadsword and sometimes the Deep Battle Axe.

Knuf

So, last night I bought the
grave key
and entered the
catacombs
in the undead settlement: I've seen a corpse hanging high over the canyon right before
freeing Irina
: how in the world do I manage to hit that damn corpse to get the object it's carrying?

IbukiLordSA

How easy is it to upgrade weapons? I'm always afraid to just reinforce my weapons, because I might come across that cool weapon later on and then I don't have enough Titanite. Right now I'm still using the Broadsword and sometimes the Deep Battle Axe.

Upgrade away, eventually you can buy most of the upgrade materials, and also you get quite a lot of slabs in the game, I am not even finished and already have 5 +10 weapons.

AlanOC91

Had my first experience summoning a Purple phantom in the Cathedral.

He walked in and did the "come at me" kind of animation. I expected a fight, I slowly raised my shield and waited to see what he would do. We walked right up to me, I was completely paranoid at this stage. I felt like he was trying to go for a backstab, so I ran out of the room. He followed and suddenly killed a mob in front of me. I was slightly less paranoid at this stage and figured that maybe, just maybe he wants to help. I proceeded through the area cautiously, keeping my distance and back away from him.

Slowly but surely we proceeded through the area. Killing mob after mob. He led me to many many treasures and shortcuts. I still felt like he was waiting for one cruel moment to backstab me.

Then, in one room. I opened a chest and
got eaten by a mimic
. I had a sliver of HP left when he burst into the room and started helping me. He could have easily killed me in that moment.

After that, I cleared most of the area with his immense help. He was excellent, better than most white phantoms I've summoned in most Dark Souls games.

The thrill of it all was just brilliant. It really is moments like this that make the Dark Souls franchise what it is.

pa22word

Weapon upgrade items are entirely area locked based on % of game done, so don't worry about it. If you are really worried about it (and have balls of steel) you can break into the last 3rd of the game early to score materials. The game is never going to lock you into an unwinnable situation based on titanite, though.

So, last night I bought the
grave key
and entered the
catacombs
in the undead settlement: I've seen a corpse hanging high over the canyon right before
freeing Irina
: how in the world do I manage to hit that damn corpse to get the object it's carrying?
Bow and arrow.

myco666

9 Proofs farmed in two hours. Sometimes those drop like candy and other times it feels like that item doesn't even exists. Also hit a cap for Titanite Shards. What I am going to do with 700 Shards?

So what is the
Draw Out True Strength
from the Yoel dude?

-You get a free level, at the cost of a dark sigil for each level you take

-When you die, you gain one point of hollowing for each dark sigil in your inventory

-Each level from Yoel requires a higher hollowing value, up to five levels

-Hollowing makes your character fugly

-After you take five levels from Yoel, something happens. Brilliant, right? Not much to go on, but I have a feeling that won't stop you.

Vorheez

So fucking good.

It was so good. I finally realised when the
Spiral stair case came up
when you pull the leaver and i was like Gdamnnn
Yep. Great moment.

And now I can't do shit about the boss... Lol

60 wonderful hours of my life is what it took me to finish NG. I love DS3 and it turned out to be my favourite From game! :D

Now there's a question for you guys in NG+ (spoiler taged, refers to an ingame questline):
I did the Ursupation of Fire questline and look like beef jerky now. Should I bother to remove my dark sigils and hollowing or does it reset in NG+ anyway? I'm not keen on spending over 500k souls on it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can we start talking about bosses and weapon names without spoilers now? its getting silly

Sickbean

So how viable are SL1 runs in this?

They were pretty manageable in DS1 due to reinforced club / pyro shenanigans. Never tried in 2.

MUnited83

For you.
So, is it really rare to get summoned while in a Covenant, or get invaded as well for that matter?

Been playing for 30 hours or so, tried both Watchdogs of Farron and Blue Sentinels and I've never been summoned. Do you have to be at a specific location? Have an active ember? My covenant symbol is pulsating (which used to indicate that you could get summoned in previous games) but nothing ever happens.

Likewise, I've only ever been invaded once in 30 hours.

I've managed to summon a few phantoms and dark phantoms, though it does take a while to find someone that actually connects.

Playing on PC btw.
Same happens to me basically. Shit servers. I can go from periods of intense activity to a very large dry period where I barely can find any phantoms to summon or barely getting any sucessful invasions... it's annoying.

You get plenty so if you have a weapon you like, upgrade the hell out of it as it helps loads. You also get the option to
buy them as you find ash

As well as this there are multiple types of weapon upgrade materials. For example i have a a boss weapon i am upgrading with scales, a sword that upgrades with twinkling titanite and a sword, bow and shield i upgrade with normal materials.

Also dont be afraid to make a weapon RAW for early game. Gives you better damage while you have low dex / str allowing you to up other stats in the early game (health and stamina for example). Then later when you have upgraded your damage stat you can switch the weapon infusion.

What kind of spells are you using?

pa22word

bah humbug

It's honestly pretty dumb considering all the important bosses are "spoiled" (names included, omfg souls bros better cover your ears!!111) in the opening cutscene....like every other game in the series. The rest are either "spoiled" in the boxart or "spoiled" in the all of the trailers for the game.

If your media blackout is so strong that stuff covered in trailers from 6 months ago is a "spoiler", then stay off the internet until you beat the game. I'm sorry, but common knowledge material willingly given to the public by the developer is not a fucking spoiler, and some of you need to really get a grip on reality over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom