• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cracklox

So
Nameless King
for one of the best if not the best boss fights in a souls game. Definitely the best atmosphere and boss level though. Fight was awesome. Praise the Sun.

Fuck nameless king. Fuck him. I have been stuck on this fuck for 2 days now. Rerolling away from my Thor build because of one fucking boss.

Heh. And there you have it. There are no tough bosses just tough bosses for different sorts of builds

My beautiful (!!) character:

2auqyo50bc1tz9i9iffq.png

These things are among my most hated enemies of all time! :|

iemmyexk2w8i7flgfwed.png

I don't use magic, do I need that blue bar?

Anyone know if the Brigand Twindaggers are viable as a main weapon? I LOVE the dodge ability (just like Bloodborne's) but I'm worried the FP usage of dodging like that all the time will make them useless. Guessing you can't dash-dodge if you don't have FP left? And I'm also worried about their low damage output...

THEY LOOK AWESOME THOUGH

Riposte

I feel like I've been "pinned" to walls, where all I can do is roll in place, by enemies more times in this game than any previous one.

Freeman76

After 28 hours i still feel this is a superb entry in this series. I just got to Boreal Valley, probably closing in on the end section (i guess?) and it feels a bit short, thats probably just me wanting too much though. I still think Demons is my favourite, the tension i felt in some areas of that game is unmatched in any game ive ever played, and even though they have refined the systems to the pinnacle of perfection now, Ive not felt that same level of awe since. I love the design of this map too, you can see where youve been and everything feels connected, similar to DS1 without being the same.

Jamaro85

Mad phantoms can choose to help the host but you never know. They get credit for killing anyone

Yeah, I just summoned another mad phantom and he didn't attack initially, but as soon as another invader jumped in they teamed up on me. Guess I won't be waiting around for them to make a move anymore.

Szadek

I'm currently stuck on
The Abyss Watchers the first one slaps my shit around then more of them come along and slap my shit around I've tried pulling back when the third appears cuz he helps you kind of but the main one is so freaking fast it's nuts!
I'm so glad that I can snip this boss with spells.

MUnited83

For you.
PvP is strange yet awesome so far. I decided to try my first intentional PvP at the beginning of the Crucifixion Woods. The mad phantom I summoned didn't even try to fight me. It was like he didn't realize we were in PvP. He went around clearing everything and beckoning me to continue with him. He helped me clear out a couple of pretty strong mobs, had every opportunity to attack me from behind but never attempted it. I really didn't understand what his intention was.

In the middle of our PvP-co-op session I got invaded by two additional invaders within less than ten seconds of one another. I thought it was curtains for me and that I was going to get ganged up on. When the first new invader approached I bolted to get to more open ground away from the mobs in the area, and as I looked back to him it appeared that my PvP-co-op partner was beating him down. The new invader died, and I guess the PvP-co-op partner used the separation crystal to exit.

The other new invader came into sight, and we squared off for a good five minutes before both being down to about a quarter health. He got off a couple more hits and reduced my life bar to nothing, at which point I went all in knowing one of us were going to die after my last combo attempt. Somehow he got me down to 1 HP. Is this pure luck, or is there a mechanic that causes this to happen with some frequency? I am using the Blue Tearstone Ring and wonder if perhaps that is what saved me.

I still have no idea why that first guy laid down a PvP glyph to begin with though. I'm guessing it's pretty hard to confuse a PvP player and a cooperator with the different color highlighting.

That's the beauty of the mad phantoms. They can choose to be your enemy or your friend :). They don't need to kill you, just any phantom the comes to your game is fair game. So by getting rid of the invader he completed is objective!

Mutombo

Damn, I really really wanted to use the dancer blades, was stoked to see they buffed it, but it's still pretty crap. I've got it +4. The weapon art is useless, literally, you have to empty your stamina and fp bar for one normal enemy, while it takes about two L1 presses to kill that same enemy.

Luigiv

Hmm, I wonder how hard it would be to inject a new character model/object into the game?
Probably impossible without the source code but I digress.
Because, Revolver Ocelot, we need your services again.

Meccs

So how is the patch? Will I notice a difference with Greatswords on lower levels too?

I had to summon someone for the first time yesterday. The P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
boss was annoying as f*ck. It felt a bit like I'm playing Devil May Cry or something. I'm too old for that kind of twich based encounters. I did regret it though. Should have tried harder...

My stats at the end of the game, farmed to round em up a little bit:

Should I maybe lower my VIT? Is armor even good? With the VIT I have, there are some armors that I can manage to equip a bow with too.
I always use as much VIT as I actually need. You should have an idea what armor you're using now. I raise it to stay just below 70%, depending if you use the ring or not. More is a waist imho.

Daante

No effence against DS2 (i rated it a solid 8 with the DLC included) but so far 15 hrs into DS3 i already think its a better game.

Art direction and atmosphere is top notch!

Zoggy

Wow, the PVP really sucks ass in this game. Why would you let someone invade another player who has 3 other players with him? Fucking stupid, sorry. No one who is looking to PVP wants to do it outnumbered 4 to 1

invaders looking to ruin other peoples time, gets their time ruined and complains about it.

the hypocrisy is so thick an Ultra Greatsword can't through it.

After 28 hours i still feel this is a superb entry in this series. I just got to
Boreal Valley
, probably closing in on the end section (i guess?) and it feels a bit short, thats probably just me wanting too much though.
Arriving at the
Boreal Valley
is the
half-way point

Moff

I'm the worst pvper ever, I have a success ratio of maybe 10 or 20%

I understand I have a pyro/dark sword hybrid build that is amazing for PVE, but bad for PVP.
but damn I want the madness convenant pyro reward

I am still having fun, especially since I have instant invasion on the untended graveyard

Cracklox

Anyone know if the Brigand Twindaggers are viable as a main weapon? I LOVE the dodge ability (just like Bloodborne's) but I'm worried the FP usage of dodging like that all the time will make them useless. Guessing you can't dash-dodge if you don't have FP left? And I'm also worried about their low damage output...

THEY LOOK AWESOME THOUGH

I tried them up to +4 in an attempt to recapture that oh so sweet BoM feel from bloodborne. Never really tried on a boss but mucked around with mobs, and they ok. I went back to 2h the Uchi though, just better range, better damage, fights didn't get so scrappy etc

I do really dig that Art though. I haven't tried it myself but I'm sure I saw someone mention earlier in the thread you could use it without FP. May have misread though.

Xux

Jeeze, these
dragon men things in the Irithyll Dungeon that look like the bird men that the Ooccoo in Twilight Princess are based on
and the
fat dudes with hands for a head
are crazy designs.

Can I do anything with
the dragon dude that's just standing on a wall staring at me?

THEY LOOK AWESOME THOUGH

I tried them up to +4 in an attempt to recapture that oh so sweet BoM feel from bloodborne. Never really tried on a boss but mucked around with mobs, and they ok. I went back to 2h the Uchi though, just better range, better damage, fights didn't get so scrappy etc

I do really dig that Art though. I haven't tried it myself but I'm sure I saw someone mention earlier in the thread you could use it without FP. May have misread though.

You can use it without FP but you lose invincibility. It's still great for traversing deep water quickly.

Jamaro85

Yeah, I just summoned another mad phantom and he didn't attack initially, but as soon as another invader jumped in they teamed up on me. Guess I won't be waiting around for them to make a move anymore.

That's the beauty of the mad phantoms. They can choose to be your enemy or your friend :). They don't need to kill you, just any phantom the comes to your game is fair game. So by getting rid of the invader he completed is objective!

Whoops. Did another one and the phantom didn't attack, again helping me clear the area. I summoned another phantom and my first guy went at it with the new guy 1v1 and defeated him. An invader joined and he tried to help me but I was already down to nothing at that point.

I see what you mean and really welcome the intrigue and tension with this.

Acorn

invaders looking to ruin other peoples time, gets their time ruined and complains about it.

Eh invading ain't for me (bluebro 4 life)and it gets ridiculous in some parts but it is a mechanic of the game.

Fumpster

So I just got to C
athedral of the Deep
and encountered
Patches. I killed the giant before getting tricked by him and the dialogue was really amazing.

Question about it though:
I thought maybe more would come of him, but I got over to the other side via the rafters and he wasn't there? I made it to Rosaria but if he's supposed to be over here he's not. Where should he be? I looked around Firelink but didn't see him anywhere.

Can Blade of Darkmoon people or Blue sentinal people help on boss fights? or do they just get desummoned?

Basically, I want to be a different colour phantom for fun, are standard white, and Sun gold ones the only real ones you can coop with?

Lemonheap

Banned
Can anyone explain the
first flame ending
to me and what I accomplished in the game? I have not played the previous 2 games so it figures I didn't learn anything, but would still be fun to know what I progressed towards and achieved.
Asking again, cuz wanna know.

Burt

I'm the worst pvper ever, I have a success ratio of maybe 10 or 20%

I understand I have a pyro/dark sword hybrid build that is amazing for PVE, but bad for PVP.
but damn I want the madness convenant pyro reward

I am still having fun, especially since I have instant invasion on the untended graveyard

I was in the same boat, and then I learned how to properly use my greatshield.

Certain covenant reward/old item callback spoilers

Wolf-knight Greatshield (aka Greatshield of Artorias) from the Watchdogs of Farron Rank 2 is a fantastic option if you aren't pure strength. 30 strength requirement, 3rd highest stability I've seen behind Havel's and Black Knight Greatshield but half the weight, perfect for my 30/40 STR/DEX build.

Hold L1, press up on your opponent real hard, and let them burn up their stamina on your shield, then lay 'em out. That's it. You'll get wrecked occasionally by 'gud' people, but you'll trash the vast majority of them. Just don't get baited into getting parried and you're set.

Meccs

So I just got to C
athedral of the Deep
and encountered
Patches. I killed the giant before getting tricked by him and the dialogue was really amazing.

I thought maybe more would come of him, but I got over to the other side via the rafters and he wasn't there? I made it to Rosaria but if he's supposed to be over here he's not. Where should he be? I looked around Firelink but didn't see him anywhere.
Did you buy the T
ower Key
? If you did that then he should be on the top left side of the Shrine on the door that leads to the tower.

co1onel

So I just got to C
athedral of the Deep
and encountered

Have you looked in the bell tower behind firelink

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Honestly, that's a bullshit response. You can put out symbols to be summoned to duel people (if you don't feel like invading) , and many times before they summon you, they'll summon 3 Sunbros to crush you. Your salt at being invaded is really clear, and I'm sorry you seem to be having a hard time.

I think it's a valid concern that PVP can be rigged to be basically unwinnable, it's just a weird dynamic.

Zoggy

Eh invading ain't for me (bluebro 4 life)and it gets ridiculous in some parts but it is a mechanic of the game.

i didn't say it wasn't, i'm just saying its funny that invaders are complaining about getting killed when their goal is to grief others.

you can't go looking for a fight and then cry victim if you lose.

Alright finally got Carthus Flame Arc.

How does it stack with infusions? Does it work alongside crystal/fire etc? Or do I have to use sharp/raw? Does it even work with them?

What about dark that I get later that gives int/fth scaling? Will that by itself out damage Flame Arc anyway?

Cracklox

Can I do anything with
the dragon dude that's just standing on a wall staring at me?

Make a note of that for later.
theres an optional area accessible from there, that you can't get to till a bit later

Alright finally got Carthus Flame Arc.

How does it stack with infusions? Does it work alongside crystal/fire etc? Or do I have to use sharp/raw? Does it even work with them?

What about dark that I get later that gives int/fth scaling? Will that by itself out damage Flame Arc anyway?

When I use Carthus Flame Arc on my +7 Sharp Uchigatana, I get around 100 fire damage on top of my physical.

When I use Carthus Flame Arc on my +7 Sharp Uchigatana, I get around 100 fire damage on top of my physical.
Ok cool. Sharp with my 16 dex only changes the damage of my Uchi+4 from 187 to 194, so for the time being I think I'll go Raw which gives me 204.

Once I level my stats a bit more I'll change it.

Ok cool. Sharp with my 16 dex only changes the damage of my Uchi+4 from 187 to 194, so for the time being I think I'll go Raw which gives me 204.

Once I level my stats a bit more I'll change it.

Yeah, I remember the numbers favoring raw or fire until I had like 25~30 dex, though I had already used my sharp infusion gem and at the time I didn't know when I would get another, so I stuck with it.

I thought infused weapons could not be buffed?

I tried applying some item buff to my Blessed Claymore and it would not work.

I assume that's because Blessed is "elemental"/"magic". I haven't tested every infusion type, but at the very least, Sharp and I assume Heavy can definitely be buffed.

Edit: And Raw and Refined; forgot about those, but those are pure physical so they should work.

Puppen

Banned
Fuck nameless king. Fuck him. I have been stuck on this fuck for 2 days now. Rerolling away from my Thor build because of one fucking boss.

Just summon. I don't get why there's shame in that after trying so many times. I summon the first try every time because I'm a casual, it's still fun as hell.

I thought infused weapons could not be buffed?

I tried applying some item buff to my Blessed Claymore and it would not work.
Heh that's why I was asking. I thought it might be the magic ones that can't be buffed which seems true.
Heavy/Sharp/Refined/Raw should all be buffable.

Spoiler for an optional area you can only access near the end game:

The Nameless King was a real motherfucker of a fight. I haven't had too much trouble with any of the bosses ao far, killing most in a few tries, but I was stuck on this guy for over an hour. Beating him felt so fucking good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I haven't said this since Dark Souls 1. This is my favorite of the SoulsBorne games. I don't know what it is exactly, but this has captivated me just as much as Demon's Souls and then Dark Souls. I was meh on DS2 and BloodBorne was alright, but this one is just the bestest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom