• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Just summon. I don't get why there's shame in that after trying so many times. I summon the first try every time because I'm a casual, it's still fun as hell.
Preach.

I'll try once or twice solo then holla for some phantom buddies.

I wanted to shout out a big "F*CK YOU" to this knight-enemy, that guards the door in Un
dead Settlement
leading to the Ro
ad of Sacrifices

That bastard was harder to take down than V
ordt of the Boreal Valley
somehow ... fast as heck, hits like a truck, oh and have fun with frostbite! What? You want to cast some fireballs on him? Nah, he just jumps across the whole freaking room, taking down nearly half of your health as a bonus!

Died more to that regular(?) enemy than i did in all areas and bosses before it together.

Bogeypop

Didn't feel like making progress today so I fired up DaS III anyways to do some coop and PvP. Was joining a session as a W
atchdog
of F
arron
when my game crashed during a load screen. Thought no big deal been crashing quite often. Load up the game "Save corrupted". No cloud saves, and the old work arounds for DaS I save corruption weren't working either. Thankfully I have a "Restore previous version" of my Save from Friday so I only ended up losing 20 hours of progress according to my save file's playtime (at least maybe 10 of those hours were spent PvPing and cooping) and quickly caught up to where I was in about 3-4 hours. Will most definitely be backing up my saves after I reach a new bonfire or defeat a boss from now on. Hope a new driver or patch is coming out soon that'll fix these constant crashes.

There is one place in Irythil that I cannot figure out how to access. Near the beginning of the area there is a locked door with some creature making god awful noise. I cleared the area through the boss and never found a way in there. Any ideas?

I couldn't imagine trying to do a ng+. I mean I've already seen everything. Whatmore is there to see? The endings are all meh too. I like the one but beyond that. That's it.

How are you all able to go thru this game again?

Also, you know what's crazy? Witcher 3 on the higher difficulties is just as difficult, if not more so than this game.

There is one place in Irythil that I cannot figure out how to access. Near the beginning of the area there is a locked door with some creature making god awful noise. I cleared the area through the boss and never found a way in there. Any ideas?

Do you remember where there was a crystal lizard on a stone balcony looking thing? It's pretty near the start. There's
an illusory wall on the right side of the balcony railing.

TheFlow

Banned
Had to summon for two bosses. Warning End game bosses in spoilers

Elder and younger brothers and Lord of cinder

spent hours on these bosses and by time i got to the end I was exhausted after the 4th try.
edit: I started at 1 am and it is now 4 am so y
but a win is a fucking win.

Will attempt Nameless king solo and if it takes more than an hour then yea summon time.

Ogawa-san

Before I waste twinkling titanite, is anyone using scythes? I want to try one but apparently there's a "sweet spot" mechanic where you don't do full damage unless hitting with the blade, not sure how it'd work out for bosses where you gotta be close like NK.

I couldn't imagine trying to do a ng+. I mean I've already seen everything. Whatmore is there to see? The endings are all meh too. I like the one but beyond that. That's it.

Fun? I doubt youve seen everything in your first playthrough, if so probs to you.

Also, you know what's crazy? Witcher 3 on the higher difficulties is just as difficult, if not more so than this game.

So? There are a lot of games that are difficult, thats doesnt make them better or worse or anything than DS. And Id prefer DS combat over Witcher combat at any time.

sappyday

Man I had the craziest laggiest match ever. The boss and host were literally sliding and me and the other phantom were whamming on him without ever getting hurt or anything. Then at the end after killing him he finally attacks us even though he's already dead.

like dark souls 2, better rings exclusive ng+ spells (albeit idk if this game has them...), harder bosses. besides at certain levels you need to do ng+ when the pvp meta goes to higher levels etc

Fun? I doubt youve seen everything in your first playthrough, if so probs to you.

So? There are a lot of games that are difficult, thats doesnt make them better or worse or anything than DS. And Id prefer DS combat over Witcher combat at any time.

Yeah I guess. I duno what else there could have been to see though. I never did play Scholar of the First sin so theres that. But I guess I'm just not much for replaying games. It's rare I'd do so. Maybe Skyrim or Fallout before. But not fallout 4 and definitely not Dark Souls 3. Not unless there were somethign different to see or do, like DLC.

I duno. The combat in the souls series can never seem to get rid of that thing where you press the attack button twice and it attacks twice. I get that it makes "sense" for that to happen. But you swing things so slow, that sometimes by the time your next attack gets there the guys long gone. I feel Witcher 3 has much more fluid, almost more realistic, combat. And in Witcher 3 you have a lot less cheating cheap enemies I felt. Also you can jump and climb up stuff instead of walking all the way round to get back up.

like dark souls 2, better rings exclusive ng+ spells (albeit idk if this game has them...), harder bosses. besides at certain levels you need to do ng+ when the pvp meta goes to higher levels etc

Co op would be sweet. But i'm not into pvp too much. Plus I cheated and used a trainer most of the time.

Moff

simple
because it just plays so good we don't have enough, yet.

Yeah I guess. I duno what else there could have been to see though. I never did play Scholar of the First sin so theres that. But I guess I'm just not much for replaying games. It's rare I'd do so. Maybe Skyrim or Fallout before. But not fallout 4 and definitely not Dark Souls 3. Not unless there were somethign different to see or do, like DLC.

I duno. The combat in the souls series can never seem to get rid of that thing where you press the attack button twice and it attacks twice. I get that it makes "sense" for that to happen. But you swing things so slow, that sometimes by the time your next attack gets there the guys long gone. I feel Witcher 3 has much more fluid, almost more realistic, combat. And in Witcher 3 you have a lot less cheating cheap enemies I felt. Also you can jump and climb up stuff instead of walking all the way round to get back up.

Co op would be sweet. But i'm not into pvp too much. Plus I cheated and used a trainer most of the time.
tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

MicSte79

Neo Member
My guy is fat rolling because of the rings I now wear. Am I right in saying that if I keep levelling up my Vitality it will eventually stop me fat rolling?

TheFlow

Banned
Having to take away two health bars for a boss and then starting all the way over if you die is annoying. Probably one of my few nitpicks about the game

Just got done with my first extended PvP session with my Saber RP. I went about 45 minutes 1v1 with about 11 phantoms before one finally got me. Never experienced Dark Souls PvP, but I'm hooked. Also, seems like people can't read the
Lothric Holy Sword's projectiles
just yet.

Cracklox

Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, but the argument that it's combat is better will not go down well. Particularly in this thread. As Forest Gump once said, 'and that's all I'm going to say about that'

Roussow

Good lord, the music cue when you give the
Fire Keeper
the eyes is absolutely magical, I love this dark conspiracy I seemingly have planned for the ending. All the pieces seem to be in place.

TheFlow

Banned
Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, but the argument that it's combat is better will not go down well. Particularly in this thread. As Forest Gump once said, 'and that's all I'm going to say about that'
They can't be compared not because one is better than the other but simply because there games play was designed with different intents and purposes.

It was just too much of the same thing as the past FOUR soulsborne games. Nothing changed. I kind of felt maybe they'd try to do more. But nothing. Not even able to climb up a ledge knee-height.

Yeah those hc souls fans are very protective about their souls games.

knitoe

Thanks. Silly question but is there a fast roll and a medium roll? Or just normal and fat?

30.0% or less Fastest state: very fast rolls that go the furthest, with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.
30.1% – 70.0% Regular state: medium rolls with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.
70.1% – 100.0% Slow state: "fat" slow and short rolls with 12 iframes. Slow backsteps.
100.1% or higher Overburdened: cannot roll, backstep or run.

MicSte79

Neo Member
30.0% or less Fastest state: very fast rolls that go the furthest, with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.
30.1% – 70.0% Regular state: medium rolls with 13 iframes. Fast backsteps.
70.1% – 100.0% Slow state: "fat" slow and short rolls with 12 iframes. Slow backsteps.
100.1% or higher Overburdened: cannot roll, backstep or run.
Thanks for the detailed answer!

Puppen

Banned

TW3 is one of my favorite games of all time, but combat is the thing with Souls games. TW3 outdoes it in every other department, but the core gameplay of Souls is what keeps me coming back 5 games in a row now. I've never found it's attempts at plot or characters even remotely decipherable, but there's an entire thread on that so I guess I've been missing something for... how long has it been since Demon's, 6 years now?

What's the verdict with armour for heavys? Don't even bother and go medium?

Yeah, don't bother. Enemies do more damage and are more relentless than ever before, blocking and dodging is way more important. If you have high vit a really strong shield is better than strong armor.

I don't do much PvP, but do you get covenant rewards for Summoning a Red Phantom soapstone or only when you do invasions?
I don't believe I've received rewards for killing phantoms I've summoned. If you need more invasions, though, try the dried finger. It helps to prioritize you in the queue.

MicSte79

Neo Member
Don't want to take the thread too far off the beaten path but I found the Witcher 3 to be boring crud. The story was like something from an Enid Blyton novel and the combat was awful. Geralt felt floaty and the cut scenes dragged.

Dark Souls games remind me of the old Knightmare tv show I watched as a kid in the 80s.

A superior game IMO.

What's the verdict with armour for heavys? Don't even bother and go medium?

go fashion

some medium-heavy armor is cool looking so you will still need some vit to medium roll, and vit gives you more defense too

up to you.

But yeah, wearing armor for poise/defense has only been a thing in ds1 where everyone was giant(dad)/full havels

Cracklox

They can't be compared not because one is better than the other but simply because there games play was designed with different intents and purposes.

Oh I agree completely. I just wanted to warn the poster of the potential hyperbolic responses he may receive. Witcher combat isn't held in too high regard around these parts of the internets. Personally I thought it did it's job well, after you got use to the particularly odd rhythm

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
It was just too much of the same thing as the past FOUR soulsborne games. Nothing changed. I kind of felt maybe they'd try to do more. But nothing. Not even able to climb up a ledge knee-height.

So that makes witcher better? Or are you saying that climbing ledges would make dark souls better? Better tell from software to advertise ledge climbing on the back of their next game's case.

In all seriousness, they're both completely different games. I still haven't been able to muster up the time and energy to finish the witcher 3, but I can happily play through the souls games again and again... Except dark souls 2, but that's a story for a different thread.

And funnily enough, ledge climbing was a thing in demon's souls.

pa22word

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

Holy shit....
Irithyll used to be Anor Londo.
This game man

Honestly that entire area is huge fan service to Dark Souls fans by taking the most reknowned levels from both games and mashing them together.

Anor Londo from Dark Souls and Eleum Loyce from DS2

EDIT: and I guess three if you count tower of latria basically being Irithyll Dungeons

ramyeon

P
ontiff
S
ullivan
down on my first go! What a great boss. Uploaded a video as commemoration because my heart was beating like crazy after I was done. So many bad plays in this video but I had basically gone in to see what the boss was like and learn some of his moves so I'm shocked I managed to beat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom