• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's honestly pretty dumb considering all the important bosses are "spoiled" (names included, omfg souls bros better cover your ears!!111) in the opening cutscene....like every other game in the series. The rest are either "spoiled" in the boxart or "spoiled" in the all of the trailers for the game.

If your media blackout is so strong that stuff covered in trailers from 6 months ago is a "spoiler", then stay off the internet until you beat the game. I'm sorry, but common knowledge material willingly given to the public by the developer is not a fucking spoiler, and some of you need to really get a grip on reality over this.

Ive finished the game but its really not that hard to be considerate.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Was that carpet always on fire...

NG+.

2232jQw.jpg

You say carpet, I say...

WHO CARES ABOUT THE EFFING CARPET

pa22word

Ive finished the game but its really not that hard to be considerate.

There is no such thing as being considerate for material that has been willingly released and publicly available for all to see for months now, that's discussion being held hostage by a vocal minority with a giant stick up their ass.

Got the (end game boss) N
ameless King
on my second try on NG+ with a 2H Astora Greatsword :D. Your own skill improves immensely just because of the extra confidence you have by already beating a boss once. It's night and day

Auctopus

There is no such thing as being considerate for material that has been willingly released and publicly available for all to see for months now, that's discussion being held hostage by a vocal minority with a giant stick up their ass.

Doesn't sound like they're the ones with a stick up their ass. It really doesn't take much to add a spoiler tag.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's honestly pretty dumb considering all the important bosses are "spoiled" (names included, omfg souls bros better cover your ears!!111) in the opening cutscene....like every other game in the series. The rest are either "spoiled" in the boxart or "spoiled" in the all of the trailers for the game.

If your media blackout is so strong that stuff covered in trailers from 6 months ago is a "spoiler", then stay off the internet until you beat the game. I'm sorry, but common knowledge material willingly given to the public by the developer is not a fucking spoiler, and some of you need to really get a grip on reality over this.

my problem i that saying
Dancer
for example spoils nothing if you dont know what we are talking about. or
Lorian's
Greatswrod...what the fuck does that spoil? That there is a sword called
Lorian
? Who cares? But whatever

I think F
arron
K
eep
is my least favorite area of the game so far. Don't think I've died anywhere as much in anything up until then combined. And man, the A
byss
W
atchers
is such an annoying boss.
Getting damaged and staggered by the fire trails will probably make this impossible for me. I don't want to level-cheese the boss, either. I wish you didn't have to redo the first phase of the fight every time

Cracklox

Alrite I said fuck it, and Im going all the way with upgrading the claws. + 8 sharp (A dex scaling Yay!) at the moment, they tear through mobs pretty well, but not sure about bosses. Prob keep other options for them. Plus they look fuckin badass and I don't think Ive seen anyone else using them yet

pa22word

Doesn't sound like they're the ones with a stick up their ass. It really doesn't take much to add a spoiler tag.

It does when most people don't even understand what a spoiler is because the line is so vague and undefined that literally anything in the damn game can be considered a spoiler. Game has a forrest? Spoiler! Game has a castle? Spoiler! Game has a completely unknowable without context item name that might be a spoiler if you knew context! Spoiler (this one is kinda funny because crying about the "spoiler" likely spoiled more people than the original post)! Common noun that might be a boss name? Spoiler! Stuff told you literally before you even touch the controller in the game? SPOILER!!!!!!!!

It's insane and utterly out of control.

Not really we have umarked spoiler story thread. Pretty much everything spoilered is location, boss or a questline which most peope would still like to find or discover on their own. It doesnt take long to spoiler so i dont see the harm

So how viable are SL1 runs in this?

They were pretty manageable in DS1 due to reinforced club / pyro shenanigans. Never tried in 2.
I gave up when I got to Farron's Keep. I wanted to do a blind SL1 run like I did in Bloodborne, but I realised it was taking too long to do all the exploring and dying and exploring and dying, and I just wanted to get on and see the rest of the game.

I'll come back to a SL1 run, but I want to see how to get some OP stuff very early. So far (and I'm only at Cathedral of Deep) there hasn't been much chance of going off the beaten path in this game. Like in DS1 you could get chunks and large titanite shards as soon you land in Lordran if you wanted. DS3 seems way more linear like Bloodborne and seems to gate off any chance of doing this - probably for PvP considerations. Maybe there are ways to get OP early on maybe with pyromancy or something, but with no upgrade materials early on I don't see it so far. I don't want to bang my head against a wall with SL1.

DS2 gave you upgrade materials like candy, so it was pretty easy in that game. You'd probably have a few titanite slabs before you even had enough chunks to upgrade one weapon! DS3 I've cried out for more regular titanite and haven't had even a sniff of large shards yet.

Khezu

Alrite I said fuck it, and Im going all the way with upgrading the claws. + 8 sharp (A dex scaling Yay!) at the moment, they tear through mobs pretty well, but not sure about bosses. Prob keep other options for them. Plus they look fuckin badass and I don't think Ive seen anyone else using them yet

I just got some neat claws with quick step I kinda want to use, but I fucked around with a different pair earlier and thought they kinda sucked.
Probably give it another shot tomorrow, they do look cool.

Sickbean

I gave up when I got to Farron's Keep. I wanted to do a blind SL1 run like I did in Bloodborne, but I realised it was taking too long to do all the exploring and dying and exploring and dying, and I just wanted to get on and see the rest of the game.

I'll come back to a SL1 run, but I want to see how to get some OP stuff very early. So far (and I'm only at Cathedral of Deep) there hasn't been much chance of going off the beaten path in this game. Like in DS1 you could get chunks and large titanite shards as soon you land in Lordran if you wanted. DS3 seems way more linear like Bloodborne and seems to gate off any chance of doing this - probably for PvP considerations. Maybe there are ways to get OP early on maybe with pyromancy or something, but with no upgrade materials early on I don't see it so far. I don't want to bang my head against a wall with SL1.

DS2 gave you upgrade materials like candy, so it was pretty easy in that game. You'd probably have a few titanite slabs before you even had enough chunks to upgrade one weapon! DS3 I've cried out for more regular titanite and haven't had even a sniff of large shards yet.

Shame.

Used to love messing about in DS1 getting late game stuff early.

There's a great YouTube video called 'Everything Possible Before The Gargoyles' that showed some pretty good tricks for that.

pa22word

Not really we have umarked spoiler story thread. Pretty much everything spoilered is location, boss or a questline which most peope would still like to find or discover on their own. It doesnt take long to spoiler so i dont see the harm

Like I said, it becomes annoying when I don't even know what a spoiler is. It's so annoying that half the time I come in to these threads I feel like I might as well spoiler tag my entire post lest someone get upset that I spoiled the game has trees and a longsword in it.

Ferr986

I hate how people put random lore bits on the wiki that are far for confirmed like if it was true like (lore spoiler)
people assuming that Rosaria is Gwynevere just because her soul can be exchanged for a Gwynevere miracle, even though the Dancer soul also can be exchanged for one.

There's also some random shit on Aldrich page, like he did also eat Nito.

i wish they would just don't put their random's lore thoughs on these pages. They should just be for gameplay info, not lore theorycing.

Lyng

Like I said, it becomes annoying when I don't even know what a spoiler is. It's so annoying that half the time I come in to these threads I feel like I might as well spoiler tag my entire post lest someone get upset that I spoiled the game has trees and a longsword in it.

Well I for one dont really have much time to play atm and I would like to experience bosses without having their location or mechanics spoiled.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So I just killed
Deacons of the Deep
(which was ridiculously easy - Surprisingly enough). Should I explore the Cathedral further? I feel like I missed something as I more or less ended up straight at the boss, and completely ignored the
giants
. I am not sure what
pulling those levers and raising the gates
did.

I'm with you, it's ridiculous. Not spoiler tagging a boss's name that isn't a reoccurring enemy with no context.... about the only thing you could spoil is that the boss name has letters in it.

saturnine

That's my main beef with Dark Souls 3 so far : the game design feels really railroaded compared to its predecessors. Not unlike Bloodborne.

Want to find some advanced materials to make more damages? Can't have that. The game is incredibly stingy until late game.
Want to upgrade your armor to soften the challenge a bit? Can't have that. No more armor upgrade.
Want to play as a tank with heavy armor? Can't have that. Heavy armor is useless and has no poise.
Want to hide behind a shield? Can't have that. Enemies have huge combos that eat up all your stamina if you block.
Want to cheese an area with a bow because you're having a hard time with some stronger enemies? Can't have that. You're now limited to 99 of each kind of arrows. (Admittedly this isn't an issue once you have an upgraded bow, but you need materials for that, so back to square one.)

Add all that to the really linear progression, and I was left with the feeling of being constantly slapped on the wrist and being told "no, that's not how you play the game. You have to do it the proper way." The proper way being naked, two handing and rolling through every attack.

pa22word

Well I for one dont really have much time to play atm and I would like to experience bosses without having their location or mechanics spoiled.

Does the word "Nito" spoil anything at all about said DS1 boss' mechanics or location?

go to the spoiler thread if you're just going to complain about spoilers, holy shit. a huge part of this game is bosses, weapons, and locations, and people spoiler marking them is the right call. not everyone has blown through the game yet. i'm personally about 1/4 through apparently and really don't feel like having to avoid this thread due to spoilers because some people are going to drop hyperbolic bombs about needing to mark everything they post rather than just important things like the vast majority of people here are. get over it

there are characters the player hears/reads about in-game that you may or may not eventually fight. they are spoilers

Come on man you know thats hyperbole, people should spoiler better as in say what their spoiler relates to but its clear pretty much spoiler location names, quests and bosses but no one is going to get upset if you say theres a tree or a bridge.

ramyeon

Pretty much. I don't know how to tag my spoilers anymore. If I post the boss's name someone will get pissed off, if I post the location someone will get pissed off. Only way is to tag the whole post (Or the crude solution, tag everything but the first letters of the name).

Milijango

Ending talk:
Lackluster? I'm not mad, seeing as the tail end of the game is so strong, but I fail to see how any of the four endings provide any kind of narrative closure to the series at all. In fact, from a presentation standpoint they're really sloppy. Bloodborne's endings were confusing but they still looked amazing.

Guerrilla

The first soulsborne game I played through was Bloodborne and I loved it. I'm now half way through DS3 I think and I love it.

I'm now thinking about picking up DS2:Sotfs next time it goes on sale. Will I also probably love it, or is it vastly worse in some regards to BB and DS3?

I'm a pyromancer, and feel like I'm doing pretty well so far. I just reached
the Catacombs of Carthus
, and nothing has given me too much trouble. I even beat
The Abyss Watchers
on my first attempt. My main spells are Fire Orb and Great Combustion.

That said, I'm still using the Deep Battle Axe I got from the very start of
High Wall of Lothric
. It doesn't scale, so it's good for classes that don't invest in STR or DEX, but I was hoping I'd have found something else by now, as I've been using basicaly this one melee weapon for 20 hours. I've found the
Saint Bident
which scales with Faith, but having checked it's stats, it looks like it's not enough to outperform the Deep Battle Axe. Unless upgrading it means it's Faith scaling increases exponentially. But to test it, I'd need to upgrade it multiple times and level up my DEX by 3 levels to wield it. I don't want to risk wasting a bunch of materials and 3 level ups.

Any weapon suggestions for somebody with 12 STR and 9 DEX?

saturnine

Which stats should a Knight be focused on upgrading? Right now I'm leveling up my Vigor, Vitality, Strength, and Stamina all at the same time.

Entirely depends on what build you want to end up with (how heavy is your weapon, how many swing before you're out of stamina?). Starting class has no meaning in the long run, but you really can't go wrong with vigor in the beginning. Don't put too much point in your main offensive stats at first, because your damage upgrade will mostly come from upgrading your weapons.

So basically : More HP, then enough STR/DEX to use the weapon you want, and enough Vitality to still be under 70% equip load. Then enough stamina to be able to do more than two swings before being out of breath. And then if you don't know where to put your next levels, back to more HP.

eot

Banned
So how viable are SL1 runs in this?

They were pretty manageable in DS1 due to reinforced club / pyro shenanigans. Never tried in 2.

They've been viable in every game thus far. Dark Souls was just easier than the rest, not just because of Pyro but also because of how good the shields you could use were. DS2 was much harder in comparison, with like half the base stats, no viable shields, almost no iframes etc. Got easier with the DLC though. Bloodborne was less interesting because there was so little you could do in terms of gear, and the NPC hunters... :lol

With how much damage everything does in DS3 I could see most things one shotting you. Then it comes down to how well designed the bosses are. Bullshit bosses, or camera problem bosses that one shot you get tedious quite fast.

The first soulsborne game I played through was Bloodborne and I loved it. I'm now half way through DS3 I think and I love it.

I'm now thinking about picking up DS2:Sotfs next time it goes on sale. Will I also probably love it, or is it vastly worse in some regards to BB and DS3?

In some ways yes, in others no. How much you like it will depend on what you value in these games. I think the combat feels worse and the level design is a lot less interesting. But it's a huuuge game with a lot of variety.

Which stats should a Knight be focused on upgrading? Right now I'm leveling up my Vigor, Vitality, Strength, and Stamina all at the same time.

Vitality doesn't need much attention unless you specifically want to equip heavy stuff that would result in you slow rolling. You may not want to equip stuff that heavy, and if you do, you might prefer to be more of a tank and block hits rather than roll-dodging. I'd only recommend upgrading Vitality when you feel it becomes necessary. But that's just me.

Personally, I think you should definitely be upgrading VIG, END, and STR. Possiblt DEX also, depending on what kind of weapons you want to wield. If you want full flexibility, upgrade STR and DEX evenly, as you can then wield pretty much anything and do good damage. If you upgrade just STR, you'll limit yourself to only weapons that require high strength, which limits your options significantly (mostly to weapons that are slow to swing), but you'll do crazy damage with them. So it depends on what you want to go for.

Smouldering Lake is much bigger than I thought it was. I don't get why there's that last bonfire though, what's the point?
There's the Estus Shard and the pyromancy tome but that's it

Luigiv

C
hampion
G
undyr
is a complete scrub when you learn to parry him.

I don't have a shield. D:

But yeah he's not too bad. Got him down to 5% health on my second go. Hopefully third times the charm.

Also, it has to be said:
My little tutorial boss can't be this hard.

Yeah... invading in the last area in A
rchdragon
P
eak
is pointless. Had a dozen invades in a row where the host is already summoning to go fight the boss or they enter the door before I finish spawning. And the one time they stopped to try and kill me I kept pointing at the fog gate and dropping I'm sorries as they ganked me (all four of them). I mean if you're obviously gearing to do that, I haven't done shit to you, and I'm motioning to go through, you would think you would.

No one uses their brains in this game, I swear.

Veelk

Banned
s
mouldering lake
was weird. boss is right near the entrance more or less.

Yeah, as far as I was concerned, I had no reason to explore the
caverns
after that. Maybe if they weren't
caverns
, because fuck
caverns
, but since they are
caverns
, if there's no boss for me at the end, I'm not willing to bother.

Yeah, as far as I was concerned, I had no reason to explore the
caverns
after that. Maybe if they weren't
caverns
, because fuck
caverns
, but since they are
caverns
, if there's no boss for me at the end, I'm not willing to bother.
There are some extremely useful items down there.

TitusTroy

good god how do you beat
King of the Storm
...how do you avoid his fire from above AOE move...there doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding it except if you get lucky with your rolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom