• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Well, my SL1 No Upgrade run turned into a low upgrade run (Going to +2), but it's been going just fine! Made it through
The Catacombs and Wolnir
and I beat the fight I was most worried about starting the playthrough
Pontiff Sulyvahn (Youtube link)
. Man, I really had to work on my parry skills for this one, but it all worked out in the end!

I love this game much more now, and I look forward to playing through on a normal run again after this. I don't want to play anything else, haha.

I don't even understand this. I spent all night trying to beat this boss and here you are parrying the fuck out of it.

I don't even understand this. I spent all night trying to beat this boss and here you are parrying the fuck out of it.
Trust me, you don't see all the times I die after the first two attacks, lol.

You can only parry the
Fire sword
. Using a small shield like a leather shield or a parrying dagger (my recommendation) makes the parry frames come out much closer to when you press the button. Once I figured those two things out, I pretty much just threw myself against a brick wall for 2-3 hours, haha.

Ogawa-san

Talking about magic, what'd be a good caster spec at sl120? While doing NK co-op every now and then I get a host that also summons someone that can WRECK the boss with spells, especially sorcery. I wanna try it but I only have a couple pale tongues so I can't go around testing stuff myself.

Also, how do you deal with mana management? I figured it'd be like DeS where you'd mostly keep your mana for bosses and harder stuff while hacking everything else with whatever weapon you have. Even with the ashen flask I guess you can't be too liberal with spells.

Peterthumpa

Jesus, I'm so bad with Souls games. Just killed the tutorial boss, and now after reaching the shrine and trying to leave by a pathway to the left, there's a skinny guy with a sword that is stronger than the fucking boss before it.

Robiin

Do I go to the swamp (Farron Keep?) or Cathedral of the Deep first? Both areas are kicking my ass. Found one new bonfire in the seamp and kicked down a ladder for a shortcut in the cathedral. But I can't decide what to do first. The poison is annoying, will I find better armor for it somewhere?
Jesus, I'm so bad with Souls games. Just killed the tutorial boss, and now after reaching the shrine and trying to leave by a pathway to the left, there's a skinny guy with a sword that is stronger than the fucking boss before it.
Don't worry about him for now. Or
kick him down the cliff.

Do I go to the swamp (Farron Keep?) or Cathedral of the Deep first? Both areas are kicking my ass. Found one new bonfire in the seamp and kicked down a ladder for a shortcut in the cathedral. But I can't decide what to do first. The poison is annoying, will I find better armor for it somewhere?

Doesn't matter. It's up to you. I did the Cathedral first, personally.

Really? With it taking like 3 damn seconds to launch one arrow and they take off a sliver of health of most enemies and you can't even aim it at shit unless you're relatively close to enemies that are usually pretty aggressive and quick in this game?

That shit was awful for a while. I did such little damage to anything until my intelligence got to level 22 or so.

Yeah, I kill enemies in 1 or 2 hits with heavy soul arrow. My INT is at like 38 right now lol. Just got to Itheryl dungeon.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It is so easy to screw up side quests with one little mistake. Regarding Si
egward:
I KNEW you were supposed to meet him in the kitchens before heading to the dungeons. I even saw the path to the kitchen from the lake but got distracted exploring by the cliff and ended up inadvertently wandering off the wrong direction into the dungeons. All I did was step into the area, I didn't hit the bonfire or go any further, but he was not in the kitchen when I went back to it. He's currently locked up in the dungeon, and from what I've read his quest is pretty much dead for me. I also waited to send Greirat to Irithyll after Siegward moved on from the Cathedral well, but I believe by not meeting Siegward in the kitchen I've killed off Greirat.

It's a shame because his actual quest, and the ending, is awesome, but the specifics and requirements are finnicky and pretty much impossible to get without using a guide.

Take his second location for example:
he's in a well outside of the bonfire chapel, but he only appears there if you've opened up the huge doors of the cathedral, which means you're almost done with the area. If you don't go outside and use the shortcuts inside, chances are big you'll never know he's there. You have to really be looking for him.

As for his jail cell: the game is pretty dark so I never even noticed those windows you could jump in til I read their specific location. Cool secret, but again very tough to find on your own.

Peterthumpa

Don't worry about him for now. Or
kick him down the cliff.

Wut? Can I do that? I guess I missed the message explaining this. Thanks.

Naite

It is so easy to screw up side quests with one little mistake. Regarding Si
egward:
I KNEW you were supposed to meet him in the kitchens before heading to the dungeons. I even saw the path to the kitchen from the lake but got distracted exploring by the cliff and ended up inadvertently wandering off the wrong direction into the dungeons. All I did was step into the area, I didn't hit the bonfire or go any further, but he was not in the kitchen when I went back to it. He's currently locked up in the dungeon, and from what I've read his quest is pretty much dead for me. I also waited to send Greirat to Irithyll after Siegward moved on from the Cathedral well, but I believe by not meeting Siegward in the kitchen I've killed off Greirat.
Same shit just happened to me with my second character.
I wanted to fight the npc invader that dropped the murakumo, went inside the dungeon since the bonfire was nearby, and then realized my mistake on the way to the kitchen. Really hope they patch it so they he doesn't move as soon you enter that place because it's so easy to accidentally mess that part of the quest up.

joesmokey

Also, how do you deal with mana management? I figured it'd be like DeS where you'd mostly keep your mana for bosses and harder stuff while hacking everything else with whatever weapon you have. Even with the ashen flask I guess you can't be too liberal with spells.
For Pyro most trash mobs die in two hits and heavies take about 4. Usually you take down most of their health with spells then it's easy to finish mobs off with a sword.

Toward the end of the game you get so many flasks and you can refill basically all of your mana pool with
+9 estus
. Leveling and going through the game can be quite challenging though.

Jamiaro

Who is the guy that plays DS3 in the video "This is how you DON'T Play Dark Souls 3" and is he for real? Guy whines about everything.

Tingle

What you said didn't contridict what I said.

You said that
he is only Gwyn because the other people who linked the flame were Gwyn's reincarnations. I don't think they were his reincarnations at all, and I think the boss is actually just partly Gwyn's own soul.

Ugh. First Farron Keep, then Catacombs, now Cathedral of the Deep. Three consecutive garbage areas that is. I feel like souls games always start out strongly, then turn to shit.

What the hell was that Cathedral boss lolz.

Cyrano

Talking about magic, what'd be a good caster spec at sl120? While doing NK co-op every now and then I get a host that also summons someone that can WRECK the boss with spells, especially sorcery. I wanna try it but I only have a couple pale tongues so I can't go around testing stuff myself.

If you want this game to be easy mode, get
Hidden Body and Slumbering Dragon Ring
. Congratulations, you've just beaten 99% of the game. (
These two things combined make you invisible to almost everything except bosses
).

For bosses, Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow are all you need (
Farron Flashsword
is nice but not necessary). Other spells are nice but far too expensive to be used for anything other than PvP. In order to do decent damage with these you need a ton of INT (60 is the soft-cap) and all the magic-damage stacking items (there's a hat, an off-hand, 3 rings and a fourth ring that speeds up casting time). Some end-game spells, fully powered, can hit targets for 1200+ damage, which is enough to one-shot most stuff (Great Heavy Soul Arrow will hit for about 1k, which is also great damage).

Robiin

Wut? Can I do that? I guess I missed the message explaining this. Thanks.
Either attack him towards the cliff, make him attack when there's a hole between you (a small gap) or forward+R1 to do a kick. If you do this, quit and reload your game, his drop will be where he spawned, at the top of the stairs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How are people saying sorcerer is not playable lol? The game is laughably easy compared to my melee character.
How far are you? So far I'm at
Irithyll
and I find it much harder than with my dex for 95% of the time. o_O

It's hard because the first half of the game is nothing but slow-ass soul arrows, unless you go for pyromancy.
Exactly. And pyros are strong but typically lack range. And soul arrows have range but lack power. I preferred bows for ranged attacks since you can free-aim too.

Demoskinos

There's not a single fight I've found up to -[spoilerCathedral of the Deep[/spoiler] that I would say benefits a magic user, and the early spells are shit. Everybody is better off dodged and stabbed.

Yup. I hate that kind of bullshit in games, personally.
I could never find Catarina after Undead Settlement. Apparently you had to talk to him halfway up the elevator in the tower but I could never figure out how to. I got to the kitchen before going to the Dungeon but he wasn't there. He hasn't been in my game at all since Undead Settlement. I hate his stupid quest, but I wanted his miracle

I dunno I did pretty okay with the ring that reduces spell cast time and Heavy Soul Arrow for a good bit of the game with my magic character.

Robiin

Oh yeah, I was meaning to ask, what are the soft-caps for vigor and endurance this time? And are dex/strength still 40?

Has anyone playing on PC had SSAO not show up on any setting? I just realized I wasn't getting any AO even though I have it set to high.

Works on my end. The effect is subtle though.

On
ds3ao1_by_realghostvids-da05jgd.jpg

Off
ds3ao2_by_realghostvids-da05jg7.jpg

Cyrano

Irithyll

Exactly. And pyros are strong but typically lack range. And soul arrows have range but lack power. I preferred bows for ranged attacks since you can free-aim too.
Sorc is so much easier, but it does require you to think laterally about how to play. A couple of bosses will be harder because you'll be squishier, most bosses will be much easier because you can kill them at range. Beaten the game three times now with Sorc (and not really using weapons - I have a Rapier but once I got over the initial hump - i.e. got my gear, I can't remember the last time I used it for anything other than killing Crystal Lizards).

If you want this game to be easy mode, get
Hidden Body and Slumbering Dragon Ring
. Congratulations, you've just beaten 99% of the game. (
These two things combined make you invisible to almost everything except bosses
).

For bosses, Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow are all you need (
Farron Flashsword
is nice but not necessary). Other spells are nice but far too expensive to be used for anything other than PvP. In order to do decent damage with these you need a ton of INT (60 is the soft-cap) and all the magic-damage stacking items (there's a hat, an off-hand, 3 rings and a fourth ring that speeds up casting time). Some end-game spells, fully powered, can hit targets for 1200+ damage, which is enough to one-shot most stuff (Great Heavy Soul Arrow will hit for about 1k, which is also great damage).

What off hand boosts magic dmg?

Cyrano

What off hand boosts magic dmg?
Scholar's Candlestick
Worth noting that you don't need the stats to wield it to get the bonus (and since it's a FTH-based weapon, I'd suggest against it unless you're making a Dark build).

edit: Also, for Sorc to work you gotta roll deep. Pretty much any points into stats other than ATN and INT until you hit 24 & 60 respectively will affect your power a lot (a single point in INT can increase your spell damage by 20 or more points, depending on the spell).

Irithyll

I'm at irithyll dungeon too lol. My INT is around 40. Shit I'm still using Heavy Soul arrow, didn't even know I missed the spell NPC with Great Heavy Soul Arrow back at the
sage boss
. Was going to sleep, but damnit I think I'm about to hop back on lol

Vorheez

UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM
UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM
UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM
UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM
UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM
UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM
UNABLE TO SUMMON PHANTOM

fuck off

ISee

He's only
"Gwyn reincarnated" inasfar as every Lord who ever linked the fire is Gwyn reincarnated. Read the description of the soul that drops, he's an amalgam of previous fire linkers. That's why he cycles through different weapon types i.e. strength build with Great Sword, Dex & Pyromancy build, Sorcery build.

That makes sense. Thx.

trying out fist weapons in PVP

rvek4Tm.gif

lol and very accurate.

Brakke

Banned
You said that
he is only Gwyn because the other people who linked the flame were Gwyn's reincarnations. I don't think they were his reincarnations at all, and I think the boss is actually just partly Gwyn's own soul.

"he's an amalgam of previous fire linkers"

Risette

A Good Citizen
It has to be patched eventually right

I don't even care if they're rare normally but I feel like with 40 luck, the crystal sage rapier, gold serpent ring, mimic head, and rusted coin, the items should be dropping like candy. Instead they're dropping maybe 1/10 runs, if that
Based on my attempt at farming covenant items in DS2, I'm pretty sure it's deliberate across games. Covenant drops seem to be an offline failsafe, it's not meant to be easy.

(DS2 stuff before anybody gets confused) I soul mem'd myself out of summoning for awhile and wanted the Sun Sword so I tried farming the NPCs that dropped them w/ CoC infinite spawning. I had all the high discovery gear I could get and maybe got 7 drops after a 5 hours and gave up then sped through to later portions of the game with agape ring on where I could get summoned more easily.

takriel

Damn this game is bigger and has more content than I thought. All the while maintaining that excellent level design everywhere you go. It's really satisfying to explore every nook and cranny. I'm pleasantly surprised! It really seems to combine the scale of Dark Souls 2 and level design of Dark Souls 1. I'm so glad.

KHlover

Banned
How do I invade? I'm embered and I have the red eye orb but it doesn't work.
If you can't invade you're either getting invaded yourself right now or you're in one of the few transition areas without a boss. For example the small area between
Crystal Sage
and
Chapel of Cleansing

pa22word

Best way to do Aldrich faithful?

Ran through sunbros, mound makers, and rosaria's without much problem but Ive been sitting here forever waiting to be summoned for this thing to no luck. Is grinding out the silver knights really my only hope here? Ng+ dude at 120

The road of sacrifices and the poison swamp is huge.

I like the changes they did to poison. It does less damage per second but the effect takes longer to wear off. Pretty great area.

FtHTiny

Ran through sunbros, mound makers, and rosaria's without much problem but Ive been sitting here forever waiting to be summoned for this thing to no luck. Is grinding out the silver knights really my only hope here? Ng+ dude at 120

Silver knights drop for darkmoon, i think you need to farm deacons. Had no problem getting summoned in NG so can´t really talk about NG+. Can only tell you that farming silver knights is a disaster.

Tingle

The
Silver Knights
drop the item for the
Blue covenants, not the Aldrich Faithful.
You would want to grind
the deacon enemies in Anor Londo.
But yeah, you seem to be a bit overleveld to be getting PvP for the Faithfuls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom