• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

Yo, f**k the
catacombs
, seriously. I've been stuck after the first bonfire for a couple of hours.

Ouch, you're not even at the worst part of that area, wait until you see the S
moldering
L
ake
and the O
ld
K
ing's
A
ntechamber
that's coming up.

knitoe

I am surprise you don't get anything for killing the NPC
Mound Maker covenant guy in the Greatwood boss room.
He was cheap and tough with constantly parry / counter, spell healing and flask.

yuraya

Yo, f**k the
catacombs
, seriously. I've been stuck after the first bonfire for a couple of hours.

That place is really great to grind shards tho. Spend a 5-10 hours in there and you'll have enough to upgrade just about everything in your inventory.

Ilive1up

if I'm still on my first
play through but I'm helping others through the soapstone can I be matched up with people on NG+?

_Legacy_

Yep, one of the best bosses in Souls games
the music, the arena getting burned with her attacks, her footstep sounds, the way she moves when circling you (with her curved stancing), her breath sounds when attacking...

Sucks that I already fought her to death in the beta, so it was easy for me in the full game.

Got any tips? I got summoned for her a few times now and end up getting reckd when she hits half health, even with three players on occasions! Is it me or does she seem to slow down your movement? Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me.

Cob32

Lol just got summoned as a blue sentinel to kill an invader who was role playing a darkwraith. Had the hand shield thing aswell. Cool idea never seen that before although I didn't pvp much on the other games.

JudgeN

Do proof of concord in my inventory carry over to NG+? I had to kill the poor girl because I messed up the quest. Wondering if I should farm my proofs now or wait till NG+.

Catacombs was a pain and I died
with the ball trap
So I'm hoping there's a way I can use spook to jump down areas and not have to go all the way around fighting all those enemies again.

Got any tips? I got summoned for her a few times now and end up getting reckd when she hits half health, even with three players on occasions! Is it me or does she seem to slow down your movement? Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me.
You just gotta be algile. Like all sword wielding bosses in this game, basically all of her attacks can be rolled through to avoid all damage. Just a matter of getting familiar with her moves etc and getting good at timing your rolls. She actually gives you way more opportunities to attack her than many other swordsmen in the game.

So I heard there was a
optional boss at top of Cathedral of the Deep, yet all I can find is nothing with mrs slug lady and a path outside
, Can someone explain were to find it?

myco666

Do proof of concord in my inventory carry over to NG+? I had to kill the poor girl because I messed up the quest. Wondering if I should farm my proofs now or wait till NG+.

Oh god I didn't even think about this. They should carry over though like all items except for key items.

_Legacy_

I am surprise you don't get anything for killing the NPC
Mound Maker covenant guy in the Greatwood boss room.
He was cheap and tough with constantly parry / counter, spell healing and flask.

If you return to area after defeating him, you'll get an armour set. This is the only fight so far where I've actually used an estus blocking item! It's almost as if his stamina doubles when he hits 5% hp, he seems to do rolls for an infinity until he's clear for an estus heal.

pa22word

So I heard there was a
optional boss at top of Cathedral of the Deep, yet all I can find is nothing with mrs slug lady and a path outside
, Can someone explain were to find it?

I think whoever was talking to you was probably BSing, unless I seriously missed something.

I've been wandering around going through older areas and I think I fought a boss way later than I should have. I encountered the C
rystal
S
sage
. It was waaaaaay easy. Of course, I'm having tons of trouble with the ODK in S
mouldering Lake

Catacombs was a pain and I died
with the ball trap
So I'm hoping there's a way I can use spook to jump down areas and not have to go all the way around fighting all those enemies again.

If you
take a right after you first enter the Catacombs from the Abyss Watchers bonfire, you can fall down a few levels, safety, and mostly bypass that ball trap.That's what I was able to do to skip most of it.

Ouch, you're not even at the worst part of that area, wait until you see the S
moldering
L
ake
and the O
ld
K
ing's
A
ntechamber
that's coming up.

Lol....currently "fighting" my way through the second part. When I say fighting more like "oh shit oh shit run"

I've been wandering around going through older areas and I think I fought a boss way later than I should have. I encountered the C
rystal
S
sage
. It was waaaaaay easy. Of course, I'm having tons of trouble with the ODK in S
mouldering Lake

If you
take a right after you first enter the Catacombs from the Abyss Watchers bonfire, you can fall down a few levels, safety, and mostly bypass that ball trap.That's what I was able to do to skip most of it.
Sounds good will try. I can always go back up and pick up my souls just don't wanna have to go down.

ugoo18

An with that
Flame link
Sorcerer Rahl has finished the game with all the optional bosses cleared, overall DS3 is a bit of a let down. Apart from the
Abyss Watchers, Yhorm and the Nameless King
the bosses were pretty disappointing. The world was up and down, some areas were fantastic and others were just flat, bonfire placement was all over the place (Some bordered on nonsensical in regards to how close they were). The Bloodborne influences imo were there in things like enemy aggression but they proved quite jarring when attempting to cross it with more traditional DS elements (Some of the bosses became an exercise in frustration with how aggressive they are vs how you move in DS and your stamina).

Not the biggest fan of the gimmick bosses also (The exception being
Yhorm but only because i didn't know of Stormrender
till after the first couple of times i fought him, without that being there he'd have been an amazing boss). An some elements in DS3 felt like they were put there simply to annoy the player or make them panic, also wasn't a fan of the more is better approach to enemies in this. Prime example being getting to
Anor Londo
, in DS1 mention the
Anor Londo archers
and anyone who's played them will instantly know what you're talking about and only 2 were needed. In DS3 how can we up the ante...... lets throw another couple
archers
there because why not, was it needed no but what the heck make them panic. It's not DS2 levels of gank squad enemies mobs but again it feels like another what can we easily do to make the player panic.

Absolutely loathed the use of mimics in this, the first ever time you get killed by a mimic is an absolute Dark Souls moment in DS1. That moment made you ultra careful with chests from then on and because they were rare you could become complacent once again. It's completely trivialized in DS3 with the sheer number of mimics everywhere. When it gets to the point that i'm actually surprised a chest isn't a mimic i feel something is wrong.

DS1 still the best for me by a long shot, then Bloodborne, DS3 currently just edges out DS2. If i were to give numerical ratings i'd say DS1 is an outright 10 for me, Bloodborne is a 9, DS3 is at its best a 7.5 and DS2 a 7. DS3 is the first Souls game i really don't feel like playing subsequent playthroughs on which is disappointing, onto the hopefully better DLC. I did like how precise the hitboxes were, had more than a few moments when i ended up recreating that famous DS1 gif with the Silver Knight attack hitbox.

pa22word

I loved the
Catacombs.
Awesome atmosphere and creatures.

Other than the
Smouldering Lake
entrance gimmick, I thought it was kinda boring honestly.

I mean it's ultimately like three rooms,
one of which you can completely skip with an easy to find shortcut
, then W
olnir
, who is like the easiest boss in the game if you notice the bracelets.

Other than the
Smouldering Lake

, then W
olnir
I was also pretty disappointed by that area. Just felt like it was over before it really got going.

I think I got lucky with D
ancer of the
B
oreal Valley
... killed her on my first try VERY easily because she was hardly attacking at all, just kind of slowly walking backwards. Greataxe demolished her very quickly....

Yeah I got that glitch while sunbroing last night

what-ok

Pontiff
was such a rad fight. I thought I would be stuck there for awhile, but after helping others beat him and learning some of his moves I was finally able to beat him. Big thanks to a sun bro for the assist. Point being that if you keep trying you will overcome anything standing in you r way. (=

This is something I am having issue with the game so far, enemies are pretty fast and you are slow, at least in Bloodborne you were also fast .

I agree with this, even thought I got through this game easier than any of the others (never stuck on a boss, even if the normal mobs are harder), but it's just something that annoys the hell out of me when combined with some of the other issues.

-The fast, spinning enemies make all the issues the Souls games have with the camera even worse.
-Blocking an attack when not locked on seems much harder. It looks like I'm facing the enemy, but it doesn't hit the shield. If I'm locked on, no problem. Of course in the Souls games, you can target an enemies exposed head or feet, but it will still hit their shield.
-Enemies can sneak in attacks, even if you're using a "fast" straight sword. The delay for the first attack is too great now with the faster enemies.
-I use a poke attack and bounce my weapon off a wall, while the enemy goes right through the wall to hit me.
-I messed around a little bit with a spellcaster, and are they serious with how long it takes to cast some spells, when enemies are faster and more aggressive?

I think the game is great, but I sure would love them to polish up some of the questionable stuff before pumping out another game.

Other than the
Smouldering Lake

, then W
olnir

I still need to go back and fight him. I died on my first try but I wanted to explore a bit before I got back there.

p3n

PVP covenants working as intended for the first time in the series history is so nice. Some crazy things can happen. I fought 2+2 invaders for about 20 minutes. In that time 3 different blue sentinels joined me one after another before getting rekt by the angry mob of respawning(!!!) red and purple phantoms. I guess blue-bros are not of the highest quality these days. Baiting the different factions of the 4 concurrent invaders into hitting each other when they tried to rush me down was the most fun I had in any souls game to date. Add the regular enemies attacking EVERYTHING due to the popped seed and the chaos is perfect. I didn't even care that they got me after friggin 20 minutes when my flasks ran out. It was simply amazing.

ExVicis

Lol....currently "fighting" my way through the second part. When I say fighting more like "oh shit oh shit run"
I tried that and it became pretty much a full day of hitting my head against the wall. Happy to say I got through it by a combination of running, clever kills
(cheesing them with height)
and arrows. Was able to even turn off the the
Ballista/Crossbow
as well as kill the boss. Kinda sad at how little I got to show for it though.

knitoe

If you return to area after defeating him, you'll get an armour set. This is the only fight so far where I've actually used an estus blocking item! It's almost as if his stamina doubles when he hits 5% hp, he seems to do rolls for an infinity until he's clear for an estus heal.

Damn. I reload to an early save thinking I got nothing and it might mess up something later. Have to fight him again. Shouldn't be hard now that I figure out what to do.

Edit: Wait. Are you talking about getting set at the end of the questline? This is guy isn't related to that.

Edit: Killed him again. Reload game, got put outside room,
cage guy hostile so can't use him to return
, only option was kill the boss and nothing there.

I've been rocking Astora's straight sword with raw infusion. Think it had something like 225 atk at +4, felt like a really OP weapon and made me think why I even need DEX/STR

My Deep Battle Axe is doing about 280 damage at +4, so that would still be a downgrade (except against enemies that resist Dark, as the DBA does 50% physical damage and 50% Dark). I'd understand if the DBA had a slow attack speed, but it doesn't.

Mupod

Not being funny but I find it difficult to believe you found it easy, unless you were following a guide while playing.

I found it short and didn't die once, but that's because I pretty much just ran for my life through the whole thing.

Not being funny but I find it difficult to believe you found it easy, unless you were following a guide while playing.
Uhh why? There's like two types of enemies, skeletons that die in three hits and the bigger meaner undead guys. Plus a couple rats and slimes.

The ball trap killed me once because I didn't expect it though.

pa22word

I was also pretty disappointed by that area. Just felt like it was over before it really got going.
Totally agreed. It really seems to me that at some point in development they arbitrarily made SL an entirely seperate area, because that entire dungeon would make so much more sense if it led up all the way through
Demon's Ruins 2 and into a Wolnir with an actual health bar, that has a chance to do some of his more interesting things like summon skeletons, something I have never seen after beating the game almost three times.

I still need to go back and fight him. I died on my first try but I wanted to explore a bit before I got back there.

He's really not that bad once you understand where the fight is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom