• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionpants

I tried that and it became pretty much a full day of hitting my head against the wall. Happy to say I got through it by a combination of running, clever kills
(cheesing them with height)
and arrows. Was able to even turn off the the
Ballista/Crossbow
as well as kill the boss. Kinda sad at how little I got to show for it though.
Ya, it was weird to have no boss fight at the end. They should've moved the
Demon King's
boss room behind the
ballista
or something. Weird how it's at the beginning.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Right, I have tried The Abyss Watchers 30 times now. I'm giving up, this boss is absolutely ridiculous and I can't beat it. I just don't have the skill. First phase is fine but the second is completely impossible. He closes the distance in a nanosecond and his attack range is the length of a motorway. I have gotten to this part 10 times and have only hit him twice, on both of those occasions he killed me straight away.

If I block him my stamina goes immediately and then he kills me
If I try to roll around him he uses a sweeping attack and then he kills me
If I try to use my flask he uses the opportunity to close the distance and then he kills me

I spent 3 grand on a TV last year, and I was dangerously close to putting my foot thru it. I tried. I'm not good enough for this game.

Fuck this game
Fuck Miyazaki
Fuck FROM
Fuck Sony
Fuck everyone
Fuck you
Fuck me
and Fuck Konami as well I suppose.

I just beat him.

Catacombs was a pain and I died
with the ball trap
So I'm hoping there's a way I can use spook to jump down areas and not have to go all the way around fighting all those enemies again.

Imma just say, yeah, the best way to tackle that area is to just run through grabbing items and not fighting ninja skellis. I Spooked my way through 90% of that level

So apparently I missed the
Smouldering Lake
entrance? Difficulty wise would that come before
Irythyll (however it's spelt)
?
If so I'll go back and do it first.

ExVicis

Ya, it was weird to have no boss fight at the end. They should've moved the
Demon King's
boss room behind the
ballista
or something. Weird how it's at the beginning.
The boss was easier than getting to that damn thing quite honestly. I was almost certain those already dead guys near the thing were gonna get up and try to fight me.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, L
othric
and L
orian
are utter monsters to my poor, slow ass Great Sword. In the time it takes me to recover from my swing, he can hit me twice back and forth, taking atleast 80% of my life it not killing my outright. When I had this issue with A
byss
W
atchers
, I was using a claymore, and managed to beat them by finding a greatsword, leveling up enough to use it, upgrading it, and utterly wrecking their shit through sheer power.

But I've already given the Titanite Slab treatment to it and leveling won't help me too much at this state in the game. It does decent damage, but not decent enough. So yeah, I think this is going to be a long one.

I just beat him.

You guys ever wonder why this happens? What is it about bitching about it on the internet that gives us the power to win it next time we play?

lionpants

So apparently I missed the
Smouldering Lake
entrance? Difficulty wise would that come before
Irythyll (however it's spelt)
?
If so I'll go back and do it first.
I found it to be one of the worst areas in the game for a melee character. If you're a caster/ranged it should be easy peasy though.

I'm running my Dark Souls build on this, so a DEX/END build with Uchigatana and Pharis Bow in my right hand and Shotel and Pyro flame in my left. However, due to how different Pyromancy works on this, I'm not sure how many points I need to put in INT and FTH to make pyromancy effective. Do I need an even spread, or can I just put points in one of them as long as I have enough in both to actually cast the pyromancy? So say if there was a pyro that needed 15 FTH and 20 INT, could I just go 15 FTH/30 INT, or would I need to bring FTH to the same to get a damage increase?

I don't want to put too many points in them, because I'm only gonna be casting the occasional spell, rather than spell slinging constantly. I just want to have a decent strength pyro to throw out when I need to.

Listening to G
undyrs
track again and its such a waste how this wasnt used for another more powerful boss. I didnt even get to listen to half of it during the fight.

PVP covenants working as intended for the first time in the series history is so nice. Some crazy things can happen. I fought 2+2 invaders for about 20 minutes. In that time 3 different blue sentinels joined me one after another before getting rekt by the angry mob of respawning(!!!) red and purple phantoms. I guess blue-bros are not of the highest quality these days. Baiting the different factions of the 4 concurrent invaders into hitting each other when they tried to rush me down was the most fun I had in any souls game to date. Add the regular enemies attacking EVERYTHING due to the popped seed and the chaos is perfect. I didn't even care that they got me after friggin 20 minutes when my flasks ran out. It was simply amazing.
I really wanna do blue sentinels, but i don't wanna stop being a sunbro. I guess the upside is you can switch the covenant by equipping the different items so before a boss fight I can always switch to sunbro again.

Lakitu

st5fu
The thief shopkeeper from Firelink went on a voyage to I
rithyll
to get some stuff and hasn't returned. This a glitch?

jorgeton

So the
Irythill Dungeon
is terrifying. Holy hell. Literal nightmare fuel. Was not a smart idea to play that right before bed with all the lights out.

pa22word

Listening to G
undyrs
track again and its such a waste how this wasnt used for another more powerful boss. I didnt even get to listen to half of it during the fight.

tumblr_inline_n5f0y0vpdJ1qhyycq.gif

Ertai

If it helps, you only really need to fight the three of them that you encounter when you first get to that area. The other ones roam around the city and can be stealthed around

That's great to hear, i managed to reach the bonfire after them and was afraid i'll have to deal with a lot more of them. I'll take another critical look at my gear, doesn't feel like i should stuggle as much with them

Nere

Okay, L
othric
and L
orian
are utter monsters to my poor, slow ass Great Sword. In the time it takes me to recover from my swing, he can hit me twice back and forth, taking atleast 80% of my life it not killing my outright. When I had this issue with A
byss
W
atchers
, I was using a claymore, and managed to beat them by finding a greatsword, leveling up enough to use it, upgrading it, and utterly wrecking their shit through sheer power.

But I've already given the Titanite Slab treatment to it and leveling won't help me too much at this state in the game. It does decent damage, but not decent enough. So yeah, I think this is going to be a long one.

I was at your shoes and had issues with the bosses. If you want my advice ditch the greatsword and level a straight sword. Right now greatswords are slow and aren't worth the miniscule extra damage they do. I leveled fully a broadsword and had a super easy time the whole game after I ditched my zweihander, it was doing enough damage yes but not enough to compencate for the slow speed.

I was at your shoes and had issues with the bosses. If you want my advice ditch the greatsword and level a straight sword. Right now greatswords are slow and aren't worth the miniscule extra damage they do. I leveled fully a broadsword and had a super easy time the whole game after I ditched my zweihander, it was doing enough damage yes but not enough to compencate for the slow speed.
I second this advice. The damage/speed tradeoff you get from using a greatsword just isn't even close to worth it imo. Stick with straight swords if you're having difficulty.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
When is best to infuse your weapon? I have a +7 weapon but I want to put a balanced gem in it. Have I already fucked up? Does it not even matter?

lionpants

Okay, L
othric
and L
orian
byss
W
atchers
They were a bitch during my greatsword play-through as well, whereas most bosses were pretty easy. There's very few moments where it's safe to take a swing. Ensure
he
has completely finished a combo before swinging. When the
brother
comes in to the fight, try and swing from behind to hit them both with each swing.

In the end, I resorted to rolling R1 attacks because they were so much faster with the greatsword I was using

You guys ever wonder why this happens? What is it about bitching about it on the internet that gives us the power to win it next time we play?
I've always chalked it up to having taken a break and taking some time to chill out. I've been stuck on bosses late at night where I am determined to beat them before going to bed. Usually, if I just go to bed and take a break; the next day I - more often than not - beat them in one try.

pa22word

Okay, L
othric
and L
orian
are utter monsters to my poor, slow ass Great Sword. In the time it takes me to recover from my swing, he can hit me twice back and forth, taking atleast 80% of my life it not killing my outright.

Lbros are easy with counter attacks. Roll to the backside of them and immediately press R1, or R2 if you are feeling ballsy, for a good amount of damage.

myco666

Doing some clean up before moving up to NG+ and I feel like (late game optional area spoilers)
I am missing stuff in Untended Graves. Is there anything in those towers that you need a key for in Firelink Shrine? I saw a message behind one of the doors so I know that you can get there somehow.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Did you have a breakthrough or did you just have better luck? How do you see the boss now you've beaten it?

I'd say it was a combination of a few things. I was level 40/41 when I first start trying, which I don't think was under-levelled. I went off and beat
the Crystal Sage & Deacons
bosses (which I had completely missed).

I was doing plenty of damage the first time so I stopped levelling my Str/Dex and put points into Vigor and Stamina as well. I also lowered my equip load to 69% to help with the rolling, as blocking was getting me nowhere. Was level 45 when I beat him.

I just think my character build was completely the wrong approach for the boss at my particular skill level (my first DS, only played BB). Seems to me a lesson I would have needed to learn at some point in these games, and The Abyss Watchers was my trial by fire. He was still tough and I had to be fast with my rolls and quick attacks.

Jintor

upgraded bandit axe doing okay but man i'm getting #rekt if I time my rolls badly

where I am (l
othric
c
astle
) is sapping me, but it's not too big and at least it's not some fucking rock caverns or dungeons

I'd say it was a combination of a few things. I was level 40/41 when I first start trying, which I don't think was under-levelled. I went off and beat

I was doing plenty of damage the first time so I stopped levelling my Str/Dex and put points into Vigor and Stamina as well. I also lowered my equip load to 69% to help with the rolling, as blocking was getting me nowhere. Was level 45 when I beat him.

I just think my character build was completely the wrong approach for the boss at my particular skill level (my first DS, only played BB). Seems to me a lesson I would have needed to learn at some point in these games, and The Abyss Watchers was my trial by fire. He was still tough and I had to be fast with my rolls and quick attacks.
If you were originally fat rolling then it's no surprise you were having trouble lol.

Never fat roll.

Noobish question - If I get summoned and beat a boss I havent beat in my world yet, do I get to progress in my world or do I have to beat the boss again?

lionpants

When is best to infuse your weapon? I have a +7 weapon but I want to put a balanced gem in it. Have I already fucked up? Does it not even matter?
  • If you have an even amount of STR/DEX go with refined
  • If you're near the beginning of the game use raw/element until you get some more stats
  • Lots of STR? Use heavy
  • Lots of DEX? Use sharp
It's not always as cut and dry, but ultimately, just compare the damage changes shown in blue when selected over each infusion.

Markitron

If you were originally fat rolling then it's no surprise you were having trouble lol.

Never fat roll.

I wouldn't have even attempted if it was possible to block him. After the big deal being made of shields being absent for BB, I assumed they would be useful in this game. Have they been nerfed since DS1/DS2?

Not sure where to go next after beating a certain boss

Anor Londo

or

Irithyll Dungeon

I'm leaning towards exploring the latter.

lionpants

Not sure where to go next after beating a certain boss

Anor Londo

or

Irithyll Dungeon

I'm leaning towards exploring the latter.
It doesn't matter really. They can be done in either order. I always do
Anor Londo
for some reason.
Shorter path to the LoC, but harder boss fight.

p3n

I really wanna do blue sentinels, but i don't wanna stop being a sunbro. I guess the upside is you can switch the covenant by equipping the different items so before a boss fight I can always switch to sunbro again.

As far as I can tell switching on the fly doesn't have any negative effects outside of some NPC quest lines. In NG I was constantly switching between sunbro (when reaching a boss) and the two auto-invade covenenants (while exploring the areas).

I'm level 30 and still haven't reached the 3rd boss yet (doing some level grinding) but I was curious....I'm a Warrior with both a Longsword +1 and Butcher's Knife +1 , anybody use the Butcher's Knife? Starting to use this more and seems like the obvious choice due to A str rating. Only crappy part is how heavy it is, so had to downgrade my shield so I could roll properly.

Auctopus

I'd say lowering your equip load below 70% would've been key. It's unfortunate that DS3 and BB allow for a much slimmer build variety than previous games (roll or die). Congrats, nevertheless!

Jesus,
Nameless Kings
attack power is insane. I can handle the
King of the Storm
portion well enough, but shit gets serious after that.

My controller met the wall for the first time. I've had smooth sailing (as far as Souls go) this far, but A
ldrich is turning out to be a major roadblock for me. I feel like I have invested far too little in endurance to manage all the rolling and still get to hit her with my greatsword. I think I know 100% what to do, just can't execute. Her powers take around half my HP per hit and often the camera makes dodging impossible.

Shit this makes me angry and my dog panics and I have to comfort him.

And please now lol that boss is actually easy here's me oneshotting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom