• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

what-ok

When should I meet up with the
dancer
? Isn't it back at the beginning of the game somewhere or was that only in the demo? I just killed the
Pontiff
to give reference to where i am at.

Jintor

yeah it's kind of irritating the camera fucking around like crazy, either losing the lock-on or the camera getting pressed right up against someone's ass, is still by far the worst enemy in all of Souls

hollerphonix

Neo Member
Being fairly new to the souls games (put an hour or so into demons and bloodborne). Does anyone have suggestions on character builds for me. I'm not consistently good with dodging and such but certainly assume I'll have to learn at some point. I'd like to, ideally, have this character for the long term and sink some hours into the game. It'd just be nice to be able to kinda slowly get used to the game a little bit and not stress myself out off the bat.
So any help soulsgaf?

Nephtes

So apparently I missed the
Smouldering Lake
entrance? Difficulty wise would that come before
Irythyll (however it's spelt)
?
If so I'll go back and do it first.

I did it afterwards but before
Irithyl Dungeon
and I felt good about it...

sobaka770

Banned
Not being funny but I find it difficult to believe you found it easy, unless you were following a guide while playing.

Nah, man, I also found this area very easy, or at least not harder than any other. Especially compared to
Farron Woods (but maybe I was playing worse because how disgusting the whole are is)
. If you found
Catacombs
hard, you just wait for what comes next because it only gets worse. It's short, if you aggro
Skeletal Warriors
one by one they can be dealt with quite easily, all the other enemies are pushovers. The boss went from 90% HP in one fight to 0% in the next
Once you know to hit the bracers, the fight becomes a joke, poor bloke didn't even manage to spawn additional skeletons

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Being fairly new to the souls games (put an hour or so into demons and bloodborne). Does anyone have suggestions on character builds for me. I'm not consistently good with dodging and such but certainly assume I'll have to learn at some point. I'd like to, ideally, have this character for the long term and sink some hours into the game. It'd just be nice to be able to kinda slowly get used to the game a little bit and not stress myself out off the bat.
So any help soulsgaf?

I was in a similar situation (only beat BB before) and the Knight is working out fairly well for me. Has good strength, health and armour starting out.

Iorv3th

Well, that doesn't sound good. Will I ever see him again? Still some stuff I want to buy from him.

That depends, have you beaten the boss in that area yet? There is some things you need to do to keep him safe.

either have the onion knight in that area through his quest line or tell patches where he went

If you already beat the boss of that area and sent him without aid

he will be dead but you can get his ashes from the sewers

Manu

My controller met the wall for the first time. I've had smooth sailing (as far as Souls go) this far, but A
ldrich is turning out to be a major roadblock for me. I feel like I have invested far too little in endurance to manage all the rolling and still get to hit her with my greatsword. I think I know 100% what to do, just can't execute. Her powers take around half my HP per hit and often the camera makes dodging impossible.

Shit this makes me angry and my dog panics and I have to comfort him.

And please now lol that boss is actually easy here's me oneshotting it.

Nope, it was one of the hardest bosses for me. But let me give you the trick that did it for me, I got him on my first try after doing this:

Lock on to him ALL. THE. TIME. While you're locked in you can sprint away from his attacks (including the arrow shower) while being able to see behind you to make sure you're avoiding his other attacks as well. As long as you never break lock-on, you should be able to see and avoid his attacks at all times.

Sullichin

Invested 18 faith to use Sacred Oath with my BK Greataxe. While the damage is insane (751 AR with sacred oath and warcry skill active), it's not worth the ring slot I need for the extra miracle slot or all those levels of faith for this build.

Going to respec and spread those points out on some more vig,vit,end,str. Going to be around 110-115 and continue end game pvp.

pa22word

yeah it's kind of irritating the camera fucking around like crazy, either losing the lock-on or the camera getting pressed right up against someone's ass, is still by far the worst enemy in all of Souls

It's mostly FOV. I don't know why, but they narrowed the FOV something fierce in this game. Much easier to tell on PC when you have all three games available to compare instantly, but the best example is in Lothric High Wall after Vordt. When the camera zooms a bit, that's basically the fov from DS2. Huuuge difference.

I can't wait until souls braver than me attempt to mess with it, because while the default FOV is dreadful, I don't want to eat a ban for changing it =\

Dimmle

I have to say I dig the structure of DS3's world. It's a well balanced mix of Demon's Souls' more accessible worlds and Dark Souls' meandering thread-pulling. After reaching mid-game there always seems to be multiple areas to explore and I don't find myself missing the well-connected world of DS1. It's a little friendlier but in no way a compromise of the series tenets.

So any help soulsgaf?
Are you starting a new character? Knight with a fire gem is a good friendly choice. The knight starts with a 100% physical resistance shield. The fire gem will do good dmg and stagger. It doesn't scale with strength or dex so you won't have to "worry" about leveling those up at first but you should still over time. That will let you priorities other stats that might be more helpful to new players such as more hp and stamina.

Regardless you will eventually get the dodge and rolling down since later enemies' attacks will drain your stamina when you block. So it's better to avoid getting hit. But that's later in the game.

Vitor711

I wouldn't have even attempted if it was possible to block him. After the big deal being made of shields being absent for BB, I assumed they would be useful in this game. Have they been nerfed since DS1/DS2?

Not at all - they're great against low level mobs but shields were never that useful against the bosses in the other games either.

You're really meant to roll out of most attacks - any large bosses are just going to take away all your stamina with each hit and it's always been like that. The shields are useful when learning the boss's movesets as they let you eat a free hit or two and survive (as long as there's no follow-up).

Okay I was ready to bitch about Farron Keep, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. Who cares about poison when you have 8 estus shots lmao.

I just beat him.

I just beat them too. Wasn't hard for me, though. I feel like I may be overleveled (Lv. 40 now). Haven't been grinding or anything, but I don't think I've lost a single soul yet.

Pejo

Really really enjoyed the A
byss
W
alkers
boss. I ended up staying and helping others for about an hour after beating it just because I enjoyed the music and the fight so much.

Nose Master

The camera and lock-on in this game are the worst they've ever been. You drop lock-on at least 20 times every fight.

Forkball

If I infuse a sword with a Heavy Gem, can I still upgrade it with Titanite?

Also I got to CotD. I have no idea where the eff I am going. I am almost certain I found the boss door before any other bonfire and seemingly backtracked through a huge chunk of the level I never saw.

I'm about 6 bosses in, just got to
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
and I wanted to ask how much game is left?

If you got to the boss of Irithyll, then you missed
3 boss fights
, if you didn't reach that boss yet,
you missed 2

I just finished that area so I don't know how much more is left but I know that you're missing some boss fights.

E92 M3

Also I got to CotD. I have no idea where the eff I am going. I am almost certain I found the boss door before any other bonfire and seemingly backtracked through a huge chunk of the level I never saw.

Yes, you sure can.

lionpants

My controller met the wall for the first time. I've had smooth sailing (as far as Souls go) this far, but A
ldrich is turning out to be a major roadblock for me. I feel like I have invested far too little in endurance to manage all the rolling and still get to hit her with my greatsword. I think I know 100% what to do, just can't execute. Her powers take around half my HP per hit and often the camera makes dodging impossible.

I'd suggest taking a bit to calm down and then give it another shot with these tips that I use below - if you want.

** BOSS FIGHT SPOILERS BELOW - TAGGING LISTS IS A PAIN **

In general, always try and be mid-range to the boss, even as a ranged build. This will lower its chance of using barrage.

Phase 1
  • Approach to mid-range
  • If it uses the magic missles, do not attack and just dodge until they're all gone
  • If it goes for a big swing, wait a bit (its highly telegraphed) then dodge once followed by an R1 attack and maybe a R2 attack. This should cause it to start spewing black shit and teleport away. Sprint towards it to close the gap.
  • If it starts the barrage, do not attack - close the gap and dodge to the left or right just as the arrows start hitting the floor, the arrows will continue forward and you should be able to get in a good 2-3 hits (this will not work in Phase 2). It should then teleport like above.

Phase 2
  • A couple things change in this phase - its attacks are fire and barrage is more deadly and follows you better, it uses soul spear, and there is also fire on the floor
  • Use the same strategy as Phase 1, except when barrage happens - DO NOT ATTACK - wait for it to begin, get your distance and sprint around the room to outrun the barrage, get ready to dodge 1-2 times near the end of the barrage when it casts soul spear
  • The biggest killer in this phase is the barrage and soul spears - it will only ever cast 2 soul spears in a row, so always be ready for two
  • Again, try and close the gap and only attack after the big telegraphed melee swings when there are no magic missles out

This was one of my fave boss fights, its very structured and has a bunch of different mechanics. Felt like a WoW boss. :)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

There is really only 1 bonfire of note in this area, and there are 3 separate shortcuts to it (4 if you count the open window you can drop through). Just focus on opening up the shortcuts as they are essential to that area, and not just for the boss. There are maybe 5 doors that look like they could lead to a boss, so I wouldn't assume anything.

SkylineRKR

I think Farron is the best swamp area in the franchise. I just liked it a lot. And it was less of a chore to play than Blight Town and Defilement.

w0s

The ember system seems to kinda break boss fights. Since they give you way more consumable now (I think I am up to 19 embers). I was having trouble with A W in the second phase and it dawned on me that if I am having a good run just pop an Ember mid fight. Needless to say I did that and beat him. I realize you don't have to use this strategy and honestly I'm not a DS purist but it kinda made me laugh when I realized I could do this.

Dimmle

The ember system seems to kinda break boss fights. Since they give you way more consumable now (I think I am up to 19 embers). I was having trouble with A W in the second phase and it dawned on me that if I am having a good run just pop an Ember mid fight. Needless to say I did that and beat him. I realize you don't have to use this strategy and honestly I'm not a DS purist but it kinda made me laugh when I realized I could do this.

19 at A
byss Watchers
?! Um?! How?!

Edit: oh, ha, nevermind. I was thinking Estus.

Cracklox

Not gunna say i one shot him, long way from that, but I didn't find him too bad. Magic resist gear helps and
he has big fuck off tail that makes for easy wailing on. Also, you probably figured out, but when he teleports its always to the far opposite corner, so beeline towards that. Second phase wasnt too bad. If he casts fire around him, just wait a bit and he'll move out. Also the arrow death attack is better avoided by breaking lock and fucking bolting

Other then that there's probably no real trick. Like you say, you know what to do, just gotta execute. If you get too frustrated go beat up some things you know you can, or go for a bit of an explore and come back. Playing angry and/or frustrated just makes things worse.

Good luck!

Any tips for the
Dragonslayer Armour
boss?

Summon? What I did after 5 hours of failure

Sullichin

On my first playthrough for some tough bosses my strategy was to use an ember only if I could get to the second phase easily just like you said. I wouldn't call it game breaking but I see what you mean.

To actually trivialize bosses, use the ember before the fight like normal and summon a phantom or two :p I farmed like 1.2million souls last night doing bosses and in coop you can melt endgame bosses in under a minute that are way more difficult and nerve wracking solo.

Nazo

So do NPC invaders work the same way as in the other games where if you beat the area boss they no longer will spawn?

Eh, it is only a useful trick for the first few bosses, as you have huge amount of estus on the latter bosses, and the healing really isn't an issue when fighting them, it's just about actually finding the chance to do it.

J-Rod

So do NPC invaders work the same way as in the other games where if you beat the area boss they no longer will spawn?

Yes. I think there may be a couple of exceptions, but most if not all stop respawning after you clear the area boss or kill the npc.

Manu

Lord knows I've popped lots of humanities against Ornstein and Smogh and Four Kings in DS1.

Any tips for the
Dragonslayer Armour
boss?
Don't get greedy, because he punishes you if you try to do a string of attacks. Get your roll timings down because all of his attacks can be avoided except
if he gets you with his double shield bash. if he hits you with the first, he's gonna hit you with the second one.
Just take your time with the fight, and when you hear the sound of
the pilgrim butterflies charging up their projectiles,
be ready to make a straight dash across the bridge to avoid getting hit.

Oh, and make extra sure to time your dodge through his
charged swipe.
That attack would one shot me unless I was at basically max health.

Mutombo

Not gunna say i one shot him, long way from that, but I didn't find him too bad. Magic resist gear helps and
he has big fuck off tail that makes for easy wailing on. Also, you probably figured out, but when he teleports its always to the far opposite corner, so beeline towards that. Second phase wasnt too bad. If he casts fire around him, just wait a bit and he'll move out. Also the arrow death attack is better avoided by breaking lock and fucking bolting

Other then that there's probably no real trick. Like you say, you know what to do, just gotta execute. If you get too frustrated go beat up some things you know you can, or go for a bit of an explore and come back. Playing angry and/or frustrated just makes things worse.

Good luck!

Summon? What I did after 5 hours of failure

I found Aldritch to be one of the tougher fights as well.
What I found was that switching to big ass heavy gear with magic and fire resist (and flash sweat will help too) was better than trying to roll. When trying to roll I kept rolling into the arrow barge. But when I walked slowly, the arrow barged seemed to slow down as well, and I could quite easily block the rest of the rain and start hitting away again.

Sullichin

I think Farron is the best swamp area in the franchise. I just liked it a lot. And it was less of a chore to play than Blight Town and Defilement.

I might put Blighttown above it because I really like the verticality of that level and how it fits into the game world. But Farron fits into the world well too. It just kinda feels like you have to muck your way through this swamp that no one in their right mind would traverse to get to the other side. I like the layout and the light-the torches mechanic. It's not the type of thing Souls usually does. Feels like a really light Zelda style mechanic. Light enough that it's not annoying to do on subsequent playthroughs.

K' Dash

I'm 50% done with this and still missing a Boss Battle as epic as Smough and Ornstein, I hope the bosses pick up because they're not as impressive as DS.

rtcn63

Lord knows I've popped lots of humanities against Ornstein and Smogh and Four Kings in DS1.

Yeah humanity was pretty abundant in DS1. I gave like 40 to spider-gwen to open the shortcut to Lost Izalith, kindled a few bonfires, and still had plenty to spare. You can farm then from the white rats in Ariamis among others.

Cracklox

Don't get greedy, because he punishes you if you try to do a string of attacks. Get your roll timings down because all of his attacks can be avoided except
if he gets you with his double shield bash. if he hits you with the first, he's gonna hit you with the second one.
Just take your time with the fight, and when you hear the sound of
the pilgrim butterflies charging up their projectiles,
be ready to make a straight dash across the bridge to avoid getting hit.

Oh, and make extra sure to time your dodge through his
charged swipe.
That attack would one shot me unless I was at basically max health.

Ya, that last attack I think is specifically designed to punish, auto-left-dodgers, like me. Go right through that one

K' Dash

I might put Blighttown above it because I really like the verticality of that level and how it fits into the game world. But Farron fits into the world well too. It just kinda feels like you have to muck your way through this swamp that no one in their right mind would traverse to get to the other side. I like the layout and the light-the torches mechanic. It's not the type of thing Souls usually does. Feels like a really light Zelda style mechanic. Light enough that it's not annoying to do on subsequent playthroughs.

Blighttown could do without the toxic darts, getting hit with that shit meant going back to the bonfire or die for my Knight.

sora87

So I'm approaching the end it seems, missing some estus shards, if I go back now will they be there or are some locked out when you progress?

I'm 50% done with this and still missing a Boss Battle as epic as Smough and Ornstein, I hope the bosses pick up because they're not as impressive as DS.
while on the whole, DS has the more consistently amazing bosses, the latter half of DS3 definitely has the better boss fights of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom