• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionpants

Yeah the
extra guys behind the barricades,
very cool

I've opened up the shortcut from
the dancer's bonfire to the lift to dragonslayer to the princes lift.
Longest shortcut ever lol
You can just run from the Dragonslayer bonfire guys...

Should the huge enemy on the
Irithyll
bridge have died with one hit or did my game glitch? One great chaos fire orb and he was toast.

silva1991

Yeah, pretty much. Watching DSP do this boss almost had me pulling my hair out.
The D
eacon mob
boss was probably the easiest boss in this game. Was it this game's joke boss?

It depends. I fought him with my STR/DEX characters easily, but with my pyro character using an upgraded crystal mage rapier it was the hardest thing ever >.>

I actually had to re-spec just to beat the boss.

or maybe the crystal mage rapier is shitty and I made teh fight harder for no reason.

Sephzilla

I'm just saying it shouldn't be. Especially since they keep giving pointless bonfires after boss fights that you don't use because the first bonfire of the new level is a few feet away. I laughed when I beat D
ragonslayer armor,
lit it's bonfire, walked 30 feet, and there is another bon fire.

Just give me a bonfire outside every boss arena. There's no reason not to.

Yes there is. I hate to use the "git gud" phrase but the reason they don't give you bonfires right outside of boss arenas is because you're supposed to learn how to get through the level while taking minimal damage and/or learn the shortcuts of a level to shorten the length of time back to a boss. Additionally if you get up to a boss door and you're not at full health or have used a bunch of your Estus Flasks you now have to face the choice of going back and refilling everything (and respawning the level) or facing a boss when your'e not at 100%.

Oh, let me guess, your objection is that a game wasting your time is not as severe as domestic abuse, therefore my comparison is flawed?

I swear to god, no one knows how analogies work anymore. Whatever. You're clearly not interested in having a discussion. Enjoy happily having your time wasted I guess.

Nobody is going to entertain your discussion seriously if you're making analogies to level setups in a video game to domestic abuse. C'mon man.

You need to go back to
Lothric Castle
and go through the garden. That'll give you what you need to unlock the optional area where you
can find that boss.

I found a
lift that took me to a new area in castle's garden but there I only found a Dragon like creature that was said to be one of the Seath's descendents. Should I explore that place more?

Honestly tho, that last boss was pretty lame and quite tame. Got him on my second try.

Still love playing as a Mad Phantom. Sometimes I come into games and people just want to duel, which is fine I guess, I'll oblige.

Other times we'll get into a bit of a duel and then an actual invader will come in, I always try to fight the invader if the host will let me at that point. Even better is when it turns into a 1v1v1 FFA.

A few times I'll actually coop with the host and help him through, depending on how I'm feeling I'll either help him and then leave without killing him (I'm nice like that). Often, the host will get killed by his/her own doing and I get credit without being a murderer.

Other times, I just decide I'm going to kill them after I gain their trust. However, I always try to be considerate if I'm going to do this. I always wait until they found a bonfire or have arrived at a short cut or easy to return to spot.

Purple for lyfe.

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman
for a day. I'm playing solo. I've a lot of hp and strength and I'm a knight with a flame sword. I've a lot of weapons in my inventory. I try new things but my basic setup I can get him to half health every 1/8 tries but that's it. Any advice?

Zocano

Sorry, but I actually like the high reward/high risk of parry. Is like asking they should stop making bosses with weaknesses,..well actually that dosn't work, since only one of the both actually requires skill.

Actually, yes, I'd prefer bosses that aren't exploitable/have weakness.

ZangBa

Sorry, but I actually like the high reward/high risk of parry. Is like asking they should stop making bosses with weaknesses,..well actually that dosn't work, since only one of the both actually requires skill.

What they should really fix is the highly exploitable boss patterns. Probably not the easiest thing to adjust, but if not you get this. I found an exploit with Ebrietas' AI so all she did was a hand swipe. :/

I found a
lift that took me to a new area in castle's garden but there I only found a Dragon like creature that was said to be one of the Seath's descendents. Should I explore that place more?

Honestly tho, that last boss was pretty lame and quite tame. Got him on my second try.
After beating
the dragon
, you should have continued on down that chamber and found the
dragon gesture.
If you think back, there was a noticeably strange place earlier on where people left messages like
"Try Gesture." You need to use that gesture there.

That place was in
Irithyll dungeon
, located right before the
entrance to the Profaned Capital.

GulAtiCa

And what is that price? I don't wanna screw up
Yuria's
quest line.

Buy the 4500 stone from
Yuria's
. It will:
Reset your hollowing to 0, make you look normal again. But won't get rid of your Dark Sigils, so won't mess up the quest. Keep in mind, it resets to 0, so as you die again, you will start looking like bacon again!

taybul

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman
for a day. I'm playing solo. I've a lot of hp and strength and I'm a knight with a flame sword. I've a lot of weapons in my inventory. I try new things but my basic setup I can get him to half health every 1/8 tries but that's it. Any advice?

Stick to his left side and a lot of his attacks will just miss.

LiK

It depends. I fought him with my STR/DEX characters easily, but with my pyro character using an upgraded crystal mage rapier it was the hardest thing ever >.>

I actually had to re-spec just to beat the boss.

or maybe the crystal mage rapier is shitty and I made teh fight harder for no reason.

might be the weapon. i was using a Bastard Sword.

chris-013

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman

He's very easy to parry.

Damn SL1 Challenge is so good... even better than DKS1.

Nameless

haha Heavy Dark Sword +10 with ring buffs and fire resin does 568 damage, which is nuts for a weapon that fast. Had good fun mopping up in the makeshift pvp Arena last night and invading. Great weapon users are pretty much dead already unless I slip up.

Might go ahead and respec my now pointless Dex points into strength because why not?

Nephtes

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman

Use an ember... There are 3 NPC summons right there that can help.

NPC summons don't count as real people helpers... So I won't think less of you.

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman

For you parry.

If you're a pyro like me, just use the great chaos fire orb and laugh. He literally can't even created clones of himself because the fireballs kill them while he also takes damage.

LiK

i seriously wish NPC summons were easier to see without having to play offline. wish they had a different colored sign.

MUnited83

For you.

Well, depends on the situation. Like on my video, the long swipe is pretty easy to parry, and you can manage to bait the boss to do it consistently by remaining at a certain distance. The faster attacks or the jumping powerful ones seem way more fair to be able to parry.

What they should really fix is the highly exploitable boss patterns. Probably not the easiest thing to adjust, but if not you get this. I found an exploit with Ebrietas' AI so all she did was a hand swipe. :/

Definetly not my experience with that boss, he pulls his really fast break guard with the arm more often that I would like.

KingKong

Has anyone been playing NG+? Are rings the only new thing or are there differences in enemy layout?

Well, depends on the situation. Like on my video, the long swipe is pretty easy to parry, and you can manage to bait the boss to do it consistently by remaining at a certain distance. The faster attacks or the jumping powerful ones seem way more fair to be able to parry.

in this case it does seem too much, but to me its part of learning the boss patterns. it makes sense that if they have some attacks they only do at long range or short range, you should be able to avoid them. baiting attacks is part of that too. now ideally it would be a tradeoff, like you dont need to worry about a lunge move but its also harder to estus without getting hit.

also they should definitely fix some bosses doing really obnoxious moves randomly, like the arrows or the fire breathing

neoism

soo guys about onion bro quest...

i bought all his armor and gave it to him in the well... but he is not at Irithyll in the kitchen anywhere... ive done killt the boss... whats the deal??

Nameless

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman

This and Ludwig in the Bloodborne DLC were the two times I one shotted aboss and didn't feel great about it. Just a super sloppy fight on my part that I survived by the skin of my teeth.

Been stuck on
Pontiff Sulyman

If you have high strength, you shouldn't be using a flame weapon. Elemental infused weapons lose their str and dex scaling.

Also, use a good shield with high stability as a backup. But try and dodge a lot and circle to your left/his right. Some of his quick attacks will go over your head if you're on his right side.

Zocano

Part of why Artorias, Flamelurker, and Allant are great is because they're not very easily exploitable. Yah they have moves that leave them open a few seconds but aren't completely ruined by a single crippling weakness. Parrying in itself is fine, but they have a habit of making too many moves that are too easily parryable.

Really? That one required me to actually roll around to avoid the projectiles. The other one I just wailed on them until they died.

I think it's a gear/level check. I was able to take them down easily with the wolf knight's great sword, but my friend tried with the Irithyll straight sword and he had a lot of trouble since they would spawn faster than he could kill them, so it ended up overwhelming him at the end.

Veelk

Banned
Yes there is. I hate to use the "git gud" phrase but the reason they don't give you bonfires right outside of boss arenas is because you're supposed to learn how to get through the level while taking minimal damage and/or learn the shortcuts of a level to shorten the length of time back to a boss. Additionally if you get up to a boss door and you're not at full health or have used a bunch of your Estus Flasks you now have to face the choice of going back and refilling everything (and respawning the level) or facing a boss when your'e not at 100%.

I don't agree. When I respawn away from a boss fight, I don't ever learn to skill set I need to beat it. I learn the fastest route I need to sprint there, I learn the level desing to use the short cut, I learn how to avoid enemy (in the sense of running past them, not fighting them), and even if I fought enemies, since they're not the boss and not using the boss's moves, I don't learn how to avoid the bosses attacks, so it's something that would only help starting players at best, not late game ones who wouldn't be there if they hadn't learned to avoid enemy attacks. None of that helps me learn how to play the game except how best to mitigate the game's time wasting mechanic.

And how is the latter any help at all? "Either go into the fight handicapped or redo the level, which basically is the same as dying and respawning so you might as well just go for it"

Nobody is going to entertain your discussion seriously if you're making analogies to level setups in a video game to domestic abuse. C'mon man.

Only because people don't know how analogies work anymore.

Look, the argument being used to counter what I'm saying here is "DS3 is better because it has more generous bonfires." The principle of that argument is "More of (Bad thing) is worse than less of (bad thing)." To which I counter that it's better to not have (bad thing) at all.

You can substitute (bad thing) for literally any bad thing. Disease. Headaches. Cochroaches. The entire point of analogies is that things that are descriptively distinct are similar relationally. And that's word, relationally, is the key here, because no one here is saying, least of all me, that domestic violence is similar discriptively to a time wasting game, just that they are both in the extremely broad catergory of stuff no one really wants and for that reason function best when there is zero amount of them.

It's really simple, but SO many people fundamentally misunderstand how analogies work nowadays and I swear to god it didn't used to be this way. Now you say that an orange is like a potato in that you can peel them both with a knife, and people object "but oranges are fruit and potatoes are a vegatable! They're nothing similar!" You can compare Obama to donuts, to the sun, to a porcupine, to a fart, anything, so long as there is a relational link. Descriptive features don't matter.

silva1991

Yah that sure made Gwyn a satisfying fight.

Gascoigne and Gehrman were just short of perfection but they fucked it up and made really easily parryable moves.

Add Maria and Gundyr to that list and I totally agree. I'm not against parrying bosses, but i'm against making all their moves parryable with few exceptions.

imo Bayonetta did it right.just because Bayo can stop time. she couldn't do it all the time against late enemies/bosses.

soo guys about onion bro quest...

i bought all his armor and gave it to him in the well... but he is not at Irithyll in the kitchen anywhere... ive done killt the boss... whats the deal??

Did you accidently go to Irithyll Dungeon before going to the kitchen? Because doing that will make him disappear from the kitchen.

Zocano

Add Maria and Gundyr to that list and I totally agree. I'm not against parrying bosses, but i'm against making all their moves parryable with few exceptions.

imo Bayonetta did it right.just because Bayo can stop time. she couldn't do it all the time against late enemies/bosses.

Gracious and Glorious are bosses in their own right.

Dimmle

Part of why Artorias, Flamelurker, and Allant are great is because they're not very easily exploitable. Yah they have moves that leave them open a few seconds but aren't completely ruined by a single crippling weakness. Parrying in itself is fine, but they have a habit of making too many moves that are too easily parryable.

consider that you are probably very good at Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom