• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of playing through Dark Souls 3 and editing down a series in which I chronicle EVERY death. I tried doing this with DS2, but I lost all my footage to a HDD failure.

The Many Deaths of Dark Souls 3

I'll be uploading an episode every couple days. Feedback is appreciated. If submitting self created content is not allowed here I'll take it down. Thanks all!

Zocano

but then he has too much downtime otherwise and becomes trivial. This is a issue in general with most of the DS3 bosses. Hopefully they step it up on the DLCs.

It's an issue with every boss ever. The problem is sometimes they kinda go overboard and make bosses to "thrashy". That's equally not as fun.

I think another good boss I like a lot is Sif (though I think they should have made her move more if you are standing under her). CG is my favorite boss in the game for the reason you describe (and why I am not fond of NK).

Zeliard

My first invasion :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X0ckiUtAho

didn't realize you can earn other coveneants medals by invading

Bug maybe? If not this changes everything. I'm gonna be a massive ass

It's intended. If you co-op with a phantom of a different covenant, or you're in a game where an invader of another covenant dies, you get their currency too.

I have like 25 Sunlight Medals and have never once put down a yellow sign.

Wow, it literally takes less than a second to be summoned for
Nameless King
. Happens instantly every time.

What an amazing fight, btw. One of the hypest parts in the entire game for me. The camera can get a bit wonky if you don't keep distance but everything about it is just so gooood

ApharmdX

Banned
So I'm already planning my next playthrough and I'm interested in a bleed/Luck build. Is anyone running this kind of build? Not seeing much online about it yet but bleed seems strong, and I could infuse with a Hollow Gem.

It would be really cool if they made bosses keep up the pace more often. C
hampion
G
undyr
had some potential and when he's on ultra-agressive mode he's super fun

https://giant.gfycat.com/PastelBiodegradableDuckbillcat.webm

but then he has too much downtime otherwise and becomes trivial. This is a issue in general with most of the DS3 bosses. Hopefully they step it up on the DLCs.

Unless they don't want magic users to finish the game, the bosses needs some downtimes.

An Orphan of Koss boss in DS3 would have been downright impossible for mages and possible other builds,
Nameless King
is the closest thing and is already hard enough.

Edit: Yeah, that gif was basically my whole first fight with him, it was crazy.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Now that I think about it, saying "rolling to the right" breaks a boss is like saying getting to avoid damage breaks the boss. And like I said, I'd prefer more reactive/proactive play over standing and waiting. It's why I dislike most bosses that stand there and rotate in place. Part of why I think NK is kind of a boring fight. CG is my favorite fight in DS3 because of how mobile the fight plays. It's why I name Flamelurker. Bosses that actually play the spacing game are great. It's why I named Allant.

Orphan of Kos is fine second phase but I don't care much for the first half and don't think fondly of it because it left a sour taste in my mouth from that DLC. Just felt like a wet fart to end that DLC on. Ludwig is alright but I haaate bosses that just thrash and thrash and thrash.

When I say I dislike the exploitability, it mostly applies to parrying. Flamelurker being weak to magic is "okay" to me because I never roll magic. It's not a fun way to play the game.

edit: I think what I mean is that if I have to "play less skillfully" to make a boss more challenging, it is a bummer. Doing challenge runs, using different builds, bosses having elemental weaknesses is "fine" (to an extent).

I loooove the witches.

The fucking witches may honestly be the most grotesque characters I've ever encountered in gaming, and that includes the Souls series.

Seriously, Witcher 3 boasts some incredible art.

Kaname

So I currently started my NG+ and was wondering what's the sweet spot to stop leveling at? Around 100-120? Aside from PvP I still have to farm the items for the
Wolf of Farron
covenant and don't want to make it harder than what it currently is to get summoned.

MUnited83

For you.
Unless they don't want magic users to finish the game, the bosses needs some downtimes.

An Orphan of Koss boss in DS3 would have been downright impossible for mages and possible other builds,
Nameless King
is the closest thing and is already hard enough.

Good point, although in general they should have reworked magic a bit and make it faster to compensate for the fact that every enemy is a fast fucker now.

Zocano

The fucking witches may honestly be the most grotesque characters I've ever encountered in gaming, and that includes the Souls series.

Seriously, Witcher 3 boasts some incredible art.

Their music is probably my favorite on the soundtrack as well. Though I love Hunt or be Hunted a loooot.

Anyone have tips for beating
Pontiff
?

Beat him last night, at first I thought it was going to be a really long fight because the first 3 to 4 tries he killed me almost instantly but then
I found that every time you can dodge towards him and stay in his back most of his attack don't hurt you, you even have time to heal yourself so, try that.

Manu

Guys, I know some of you are awesome at the game but some of your suggestions to make bosses harder would make them borderline impossible for us, the simple mortals.

I mean,
Champion Gundyr
having too much downtime? Think of us poor casuls. ._.

CHC

I thought Y
horm
was awesome actually. Learning the timing on the sword was fun, and the sound of the big ass attacks connecting was really gratifying. It was also a cool callback to Demon's Souls.

I don't mind a novel boss fight every now and then, not everyone has to be a straight toe-to-toe showdown.

Did I just screw myself out of getting a ring?

I missed the Speckled Stoneplate Ring in Smouldering Lake and I already turned off the catapult. Am I screwed? New game plus changes ring locations, right?

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
Late game boss rant:

I killed the first prince almost perfectly and watched the sequenz in awe... unfortunately it seems to be so long that my Pad shut off and I couldn't move after it :(

Zocano

I missed the Speckled Stoneplate Ring in Smouldering Lake and I already turned off the catapult. Am I screwed? New game plus changes ring locations, right?

You can go back and turn it on. But no, that's the only location for *that* specific ring.

Oh my god that screamer in the D
ungeon
. Fuck that shit.
I play with a headset, volume quite high, it scared the shit out of me. Dropped the controller and went full nope

MUnited83

For you.

You can turn on the catapult again I believe.

Shmuppers

Also enhances the effect of blood/poison weapons.

Didn't know that, dayum.

So the items that work off critical damage only proc when you parry or counter?

There are a couple "critical hit" states like the ones you mentioned and counter-hits, but to my knowledge, there isn't any random crit mechanic in the game. In DS2 you could get a pair of gauntlets that let you randomly crit, but I don't know about this game.

There's a crit stat.

WAT. Okay disregard lol.

I went back to DS2(my favorite in the series) and played some. Most enemies and bosses were so slow and easy to read in comparison after playing this game. Didn't remember it being that slow haha

CHC

There are a couple "critical hit" states like the ones you mentioned and counter-hits, but to my knowledge, there isn't any random crit mechanic in the game. In DS2 you could get a pair of gauntlets that let you randomly crit, but I don't know about this game.

Yeah there is definitely a more pronounced counter / stagger attack, it makes a thumping sound almost like shield parries used to in the other Dark Souls games. It's hard to say what triggers it, but I think it comes when an enemy is considered "off balance" - whether it's mid-attack or whether the guard has just been broken. Also managed to do it to a player one time, but I couldn't repeat it on command or anything.

Good point, although in general they should have reworked magic a bit and make it faster to compensate for the fact that every enemy is a fast fucker now.

I think it's a very hard balance between PvP, PvE, action oriented mechanics vs how magic works on rol games (ranged).

Dragon's Dogma did well, but that game had no PvP (imagine a caster standing like one minute to cast an spell on a PvP match?).

Is not like it can't be done, but I hope they can find the formula. IMO they should limit the number of ranged spells, and focus on a greated variety of close combat spells, that pyro grab attack is awesome and they should push forward that path.

SkylineRKR

I just got to Ir
ithyll
and god damn, this is the first time since my original Dark Souls playthrough that I'm having to rely on a shield. I like two-handing large strenght weapons, but the enemies hit so hard and are so aggressive that I get wrecked. It's made even worse by the poise system in this game. Really great enemy designs though, especially the fire guys.

Also,
when exiting the catacombs I noticed a large building up on a mountain, and one down in a forets. I hope those are real places. Please DS3! Finally, someone mentioned a large electric eel in the catacombs, which I never found and I thought I explored that place quite thoroughly (it's not that big). Is there more to that area than I discovered?

Yeah there is more in that area.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I hate
Farron
so much, just an awful area all around. Thankfully it's done as is the area boss but that's enough for me tonight. Definitely didn't enjoy that zone more second time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom