• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazooie

Banned
I think there can be a lot of different interpretation of bosses in Dark Souls 3. A lot of people expressed how hard or beautiful Dancer was as a fight but I honestly just find the fight annoying and actually easier than Pontiff or Aldrich and finished it by myself after maybe a handful of solo tries.

So I can understand someone saying NK was very hard and someone else thinking NK was a great fight.
Is Dancer considered hard? You can just pin her face first against a wall and hack her back to pieces.

ExVicis

Well, at least I'm glad it's not just me.
They're tough because they never stop attacking. So yeah be patient and keep your distance on them. The Pontiff Knights thought are nothing compared to the very annoying
Fire Witch
that's coming up. Then of course there's the Jailers in the
Dungeon

NK is ten times easier than the last boss.

I have beaten him twice now solo and did it on the first try both times. I had to summon for the last boss on my first playthrough and have tried 10 times on ng+.

NK is an awesome boss fight nit I don't understand what part gives people trouble. Now the last boss, whew boy.

NK is an extreme camera control battle. Last boss is just patience and pattern recognition.

ExVicis

Is Dancer considered hard? You can just pin her face first against a wall and hack her back to pieces.
I think she's been regarded as such but I found her really annoying for the first 3 to 4 fights then beat her and felt extremely unsatisfied with how I did it. And I didn't pin her into walls or cheese her or anything but I finished the fight not really feeling that killing a boss rush. It felt almost undeserved and not really that fun. I might have enjoyed it more if I had summoned a bunch of phantoms to help now but no first run is always solo bosses or an NPC for the quest.

Lothric Knight Greatsword is insanely good! Even with its inherent Lightning damage, it can still be buffed and infused... that's pretty darn scary and awesome at the same time.

Lightning Clutch Ring
Lloyd's Sword Ring
C/C at +10 Refined at 40/40 DEX/STR

I said wow.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm around 5 hours into the game and I just beat the second boss (V
ordt of the Boreal Valley
). I feel like I'm making very slow progress, but man this game does not fuck around. That second boss is a jackass, and it took me probably 10 tries to finally take him out. His first two forms I can handle, but his third form is just impossible to dodge. The only reason I finally beat him was because during my last try his third form didn't trigger until he was at 15% health, at which point I wailed away at him during his transformation animation and managed to kill him before it started.

I wouldn't mind fighting him so many times if the run back from the bonfire wasn't so damn annoying. You have to make it through a bunch of dogs and axe wielders, then jump in the elevator, and then hope to God you survive the 4 hollows who all spawn at the same time and ambush you. Sometimes I would get to the fog door having already used one or two of my Estus Flasks, which obviously does not set me up for success.

I'm now in U
ndead
S
ettlement
and this area seems pretty creepy and appears to have a lot of blowdart enemies, which I'm not a huge fan of. Plus, the
giant with a huge greatbow standing on top of a tower
is freaking me out. I don't know when he's going to trigger but I know it won't be fun lol.

Anyway, I'm seeing all these purple summon signs and they all say that these are "mad phantoms." What the hell does that mean? And why are there so many of them in this area?

Gestahl

She's harder on lower levels because of how damaging a single attack is and given how easy it is for the suspicious types to accidentally trigger her early it's not totatlly unlikely for that happen. The problem is that by the proper point to fight her, most people are lv 70-80 or some shit and just curb stomp her with +7 or 8 quick, staggering weapons. Also melts to a little carthus rouge and god forbid if you're using a natural bleed weapon on top of that.

I got all the way to
catacombs
and now find out I completely missed an area (
cathedral of the deep
). Way overleveled for it now.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think it's kinda amazing that I finished the game with my starting Sellsword Twinblades. I did have them +10 sharp and had 40 dex so was doing almost 400 damage but wow did I love those blades.

I'm watching FightingCowboy's 100% walk through now though and I missed a fair amount optional areas and bosses. I am able to go back and do most if not all of that stuff before I start 'journey 2' right? Also the stuff I have in my inventory carries over right and will I get boss souls again because I ate a fair bit of those because the stuff offered just didn't suit my Dex build at all.

Sorry for all the questions about new game this is the first souls game I've managed to be able to finish.

ramyeon

ENB not even trying to
cut the bridge in Catacombs
despite noticing all the hints is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen in a Let's Play.

ExVicis

She's harder on lower levels because of how damaging a single attack is and given how easy it is for the suspicious types to accidentally trigger her early it's not totatlly unlikely for that happen. The problem is that by the proper point to fight her, most people are lv 70-80 or some shit and just curb stomp her with +7 or 8 quick, staggering weapons. Also melts to a little carthus rouge and god forbid if you're using a natural bleed weapon on top of that.

Oh. 70-80 is the usual level for Dancer? I took her on at 50. Well whatever she's long since been dead now.

I need to stop being stingy about leveling up though, apparently I'm far behind the level curve.

Kazooie

Banned
I think she's been regarded as such but I found her really annoying for the first 3 to 4 fights then beat her and felt extremely unsatisfied with how I did it. And I didn't pin her into walls or cheese her or anything but I finished the fight not really feeling that killing a boss rush. It felt almost undeserved and not really that fun. I might have enjoyed it more if I had summoned a bunch of phantoms to help now but no first run is always solo bosses or an NPC for the quest.
Interesting. How did you kill her?

I'm about to face NK but I've read online that it is a tough boss.

I love this game and some of the boss battles have been brilliant but not really hard. I want a battle like Artorias the Abysswalker, O&S, Fume Knight, Defiled Watch Dog of the Old Lords... just something that'll make me pull my hair our for hours on end. Hope the DLC has a massive difficulty spike.

KHlover

Banned
I'm around 5 hours into the game and I just beat the second boss (V
ordt of the Boreal Valley
). I feel like I'm making very slow progress, but man this game does not fuck around. That second boss is a jackass, and it took me probably 10 tries to finally take him out. His first two forms I can handle, but his third form is just impossible to dodge. The only reason I finally beat him was because during my last try his third form didn't trigger until he was at 15% health, at which point I wailed away at him during his transformation animation and managed to kill him before it started.

I wouldn't mind fighting him so many times if the run back from the bonfire wasn't so damn annoying. You have to make it through a bunch of dogs and axe wielders, then jump in the elevator, and then hope to God you survive the 4 hollows who all spawn at the same time and ambush you. Sometimes I would get to the fog door having already used one or two of my Estus Flasks, which obviously does not set me up for success.

Lesson for all future boss runs: Once you found the shortest way from the bonfire to the boss just run past all the enemies, don't bother fighting them. You have nothing to gain by doing that, besides a few souls which are always easily obtainable.

Santiako

Oh. 70-80 is the usual level for Dancer? I took her on at 50. Well whatever she's long since been dead now.

I need to stop being stingy about leveling up though, apparently I'm far behind the level curve.

No, 50 is fine for that part. 70-80 is endgame level, quite overleveled for the dancer imo. I killed her first try at level 48-50.

KHlover

Banned
GTImt0N.jpg

Farming Proof of Concord in a nutshell (image from reddit)

DietRob

ENB not even trying to
despite noticing all the hints is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen in a Let's Play.

Yep, I've been watching this too since finishing the game and it is SUUUUPER frustrating. I know it's a blind play-through but he's missing stuff a noob to the series like me found blind.

Hmmm..ummm...hummm.... what is From trying to tell me with the placement of _____. LOL

I'll keep watching though because I'm interested and he's really knowledgeable about the lore so that's the big draw for me.

gaugebozo

I think there can be a lot of different interpretation of bosses in Dark Souls 3. A lot of people expressed how hard or beautiful Dancer was as a fight but I honestly just find the fight annoying and actually easier than Pontiff or Aldrich and finished it by myself after maybe a handful of solo tries.

So I can understand someone saying NK was very hard and someone else thinking NK was a great fight.

Pontiff and Aldritch made me question whether I was any good at all, and maybe this (my 4th Souls game) was just too hard. Everything since then has been dead by my second try and all I have left is NK and the last boss. It's always weird what other people think is hard (Watchdog of the Old Lords never killed me either. Even the defiled version.)

ExVicis

Interesting. How did you kill her?
Well it was said early that bleed effects makes her easy and I've been running with a decent Bleed Weapon (Grave Warden Twinblades) for pretty much the whole game and I am overstocked on Kukuris. After I figured out her dumb move set I very much just bleed her to death. Whenever she's doing her dumb spin moves I just went to the other side of the room and threw knives until she died.

Pontiff and Aldritch made me question whether I was any good at all, and maybe this (my 4th Souls game) was just too hard. Everything since then has been dead by my second try and all I have left is NK and the last boss. It's always weird what other people think is hard (Watchdog of the Old Lords never killed me either. Even the defiled version.)
As much as I butt my head against Pontiff, I really enjoyed that fight and I could noticeably feel the improvement in attempts as I kept trying more and more. Probably one of my more favorite fights, maybe not so much if I had tried the parrying strategy but the way I did it was a lot of fun.

Aldrich however just made me upset. Aldrich has been maybe the only boss this game that made me so upset I had to put the controller down and go walk off my frustration. And I know exactly why I dislike Aldrich. It's those fucking arrows. Those goddamn fucking arrows.

I'm with you on the other bosses though. I think it's been mas 3 tries the bosses I've fought post-Dancer, but I'm not quite finished with everyone yet so we'll see.

Toxi

Banned
I just reached Irithyll, and
those fucking Pontiff knights with the curved swords
are ridiculous.

So many enemies in Dark Souls 3 just combo the fuck out of you. It's weird how hard some common enemies are in comparison to the bosses.

Floody

I have beaten him twice now solo and did it on the first try both times. I had to summon for the last boss on my first playthrough and have tried 10 times on ng+.

NK is an awesome boss fight nit I don't understand what part gives people trouble. Now the last boss, whew boy.

I found NK much harder than any boss, the last boss I beat on my 3rd attempt solo (probably my favorite fight though), NK took me 2 days worth of trying, but I eventually got him.

It just depends on the playstyle, my guy was a slow, but hard hitting greatsword user with no shield (I've heard a shield makes NK a lot easier), so I could get like 1 hit in every 5 or 6 of NK's attacks.

I was in the low 60s and felt quite overleveled for her, the area right after her gave me a nice reality check though.

Skii

ENB not even trying to

Yeah he's usually so observant. Even I figured that out and I'm pretty bad with that stuff in Souls games.
But I didn't have the insight to climb down the bridge to get to Horace. He's probably dead by now and Anri is probably going to commit suicide :(

MilkBeard

Yep, I've been watching this too since finishing the game and it is SUUUUPER frustrating. I know it's a blind play-through but he's missing stuff a noob to the series like me found blind.

Hmmm..ummm...hummm.... what is From trying to tell me with the placement of _____. LOL

I'll keep watching though because I'm interested and he's really knowledgeable about the lore so that's the big draw for me.

I don't know, you can't expect everyone to find everything on first playthrough, even a Souls vet like him. Sometimes that's just the nature of things. He has been extremely good at finding everything up until the Cathedral of the Deep, finding stuff that I didn't notice until later. Sometimes things just get overlooked.

Here's what gives me trouble with NK:

Phase 1: the fucking camera
Phase 2: His hits have such weird delayed animations that it's really tough to time your dodges and if you get hit once in a combo then you won't be able to dodge the subsequent attack and then you're dead

x3r0123

been playing the game without posting here so just wanted to say the game is a decent send off to the series. Bosses were hardly a challenge except for
nameless
king. Currently trying to farm the covenant items....

thankfully I'm done with that but now I have vertebra shackles left to do...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Lesson for all future boss runs: Once you found the shortest way from the bonfire to the boss just run past all the enemies, don't bother fighting them. You have nothing to gain by doing that, besides a few souls which are always easily obtainable.

I'm not sure how doable that is, considering it's a relatively long run and there's a lot of enemies. I tried making a run for the elevator once and got flattened by one of the first axe wielding guys.

Getting Darkmoon covenant items was making me tear my hair our last night. Like, summoning does not fucking work. Anywhere. Tried Undead Settlement, Irithyll, Archdragon Peak, etc. And killed about 30 knights without getting a single Proof drop at 415 item discovery. Like what the fuck.

I'm not sure if this would even be possible but I'd really like to see automatic level scaling when being summoned through concord (similar to password matching), enabling blues to help players of any level, and being able to be summoned to any area (maybe any area where the boss has been defeated) from any area. Like, fuck. It's so hard to get summons.

myco666

Not to me. Last boss is annoying but easy for me.

NK however has first phase that has the worst camera I've ever seen in a videogame and it makes me feel bad with all the sway. Even if I get through that with no damage I am on tilt because it sucks so much so I start the second phase not feeling good about the fight already. Then add all those just a bit too long wind ups and high damage together and you have a very hard combination. I dodge constantly too early and eat every single hit because of it. Doesn't help that lock-on breaks sometimes and you get blindsided by some attacks.

That is probably the worst moment when farming Proofs. You get every single other drop but not the one you want. Ended up having enough full sets to have my own army after getting enough Proofs.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
NK is an extreme camera control battle.

Its really not.

No need to lock on at all for first form unless you are a caster class, and even then you're only going to hit when he's landed. For all melee fighters, its not a hard target to hit and you're going to do a far better job of baiting his attacks with a free camera.

DietRob

I don't know, you can't expect everyone to find everything on first playthrough, even a Souls vet like him. Sometimes that's just the nature of things. He has been extremely good at finding everything up until the Cathedral of the Deep, finding stuff that I didn't notice until later. Sometimes things just get overlooked.

Oh I know. Just like I posted earlier I missed tons of stuff myself. Not trying to knock ENB at all. Dude has taught a Souls noobie like me tons about the lore of the game. I guess it's more frustrating because even though he's super meticulous he's missing stuff and I'm genuinely enjoying his perspective on things.

KHlover

Banned
I'm not sure how doable that is, considering it's a relatively long run and there's a lot of enemies. I tried making a run for the elevator once and got flattened by one of the first axe wielding guys.

From memory:

Bonfire -> Kill crossbow guy on the wooden roof near bonfire -> drop down -> sprint towards stairs -> roll past axe guy -> enter elevator -> sprint past those 4 guys who need to climb up first -> another crossbow guy, instead of running past him in a straight line go right and drop down two ledges -> sprint/roll past spear guys -> enter Vordt boss room

Seriously though, if you sprint past enemies and keep sprinting they usually won't be able to get you. There'll be some close calls and sometimes you'll get hit, but unless you really screw up you'll still end up with more Estus at the start of the fight than after a run where you engaged all the enemies.

Oh I know. Just like I posted earlier I missed tons of stuff myself. Not trying to knock ENB at all. Dude has taught a Souls noobie like me tons about the lore of the game. I guess it's more frustrating because even though he's super meticulous he's missing stuff and I'm genuinely enjoying his perspective on things.

To be fair, I missed that too. There was a message by the bridge that said something along the lines of "secret ladder"...and it didn't click. I knew the bridge was able to be destroyed from the launch trailer, but I had no idea you could climb down it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Does he quit being such a downer about the connections to the previous games?

DietRob

Does he quit being such a downer about the connections to the previous games?

Yes, he's seemed to turn that corner with it at or around
The Cathedral
. I'm very interested on his perspective on the later game areas and end game

N
ameless
K
ing's
2nd form is destroying me. The first phase is ridiculously easy, I just spam Great Deep Soul on the head, then do a critical and it's done. His flying DBZ move in the 2nd phase is what gets me.

Any tips?

test_account

XP-39C²
been playing the game without posting here so just wanted to say the game is a decent send off to the series. Bosses were hardly a challenge except for
nameless
king. Currently trying to farm the covenant items....

thankfully I'm done with that but now I have vertebra shackles left to do...
Vertebra shackles can be gotten by doing PVP, so that is at least more obtainable than having to rely on luck/farming. FROM Software should have made the covenant items as purchaseable items in NG++ and above like the did in DS2 or made them all available trough PVP and coop.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
N
ameless
K
ing's
2nd form is destroying me. The first phase is ridiculously easy, I just spam Great Deep Soul on the head, then do a critical and it's done. His flying DBZ move in the 2nd phase is what gets me.

Any tips?

Roll towards it when he is still in the air.

Macattk15

I had zero problems with the last boss. Walked in and killed him solo .... I never saw the Curved Sword transform in Phase 1 though.

Pontiff gave me the biggest problem .... I died many times to him.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
After finishing the game earlier today, I decided to go back and do the only boss I had left to kill, The Nameless King. My god what a pain in the hole, as if the boss wasn't hard enough, I had to fight the bloody camera as well. First part is a nightmare as a melee character. I got a pretty good job the other day (after trying for a while) and I still think killing this bastard was my biggest achievement this week.

Decided after I killed him that I would spend a while helping others out, which was a lot of fun. I have never been summoned so fast for any other boss in the game.

SkylineRKR

He's a great cashcow though lots of hosts will also die.

N
ameless
K
ing's

Any tips?

Flying move is what I always want him to do, I evade it 100% of the time. Wait until he starts the dive, you need a bit of patience, then roll to the side. And you can safely hit him twice or so. For his moves, they are rather slow and most have the same timing. Wait till he actually swings and roll into it.

But you can also block quite a bit with the Lothric shield, its useful against him. I mostly block his lightning AoE since its sort of hard to evade.

I had zero problems with the last boss. Walked in and killed him solo .... I never saw the Curved Sword transform in Phase 1 though.

Pontiff gave me the biggest problem .... I died many times to him.

Pontiff is really hard if you try to fight him honestly. He just has too many attacks and too much damage. I beat him by
circling around with my shield up and hitting him in the back. Surprisingly effective, he can't keep up. Also some of his horizontal swings will miss if you keep him by the stairs.

Floody

N
ameless
K
ing's

Any tips?

If you're a magic user you can just keep your distance and snipe him, he'll mostly just slow walk at you, though he will start doing the flying attack a lot towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom