• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

Hosted a spontaneous fight Club tonight, I was surprised how quick everyone understood my intention, it was fun, one dude back stabbed me, but he got taken care of real quick Hehe.
I love when someone heals in a club and everybody jumps them.

ramyeon

I don't know, you can't expect everyone to find everything on first playthrough, even a Souls vet like him. Sometimes that's just the nature of things. He has been extremely good at finding everything up until the Cathedral of the Deep, finding stuff that I didn't notice until later. Sometimes things just get overlooked.
I mean it's just frustrating because he saw ALL the hints.
He saw the developer note about the bridge being weak, he saw the platform with an enemy on it directly below the bridge and he even saw Horace and the items down in the Smouldering Lake. Yet he didn't even TRY to cut it down, just ran across it a couple of times.

Zemm

NK is an extreme camera control battle. Last boss is just patience and pattern recognition.

NK got 10 times more manageable once I quickly figured out that not going underneath him was the plan for the fight. If you do go underneath then the dragon will do the fire attack and you'll also have problems with the camera if you're locked on. Just playing it by standing back a bit makes the fight more fun and also easier. Get two birds stoned at once.

gaugebozo

Pontiff is really hard if you try to fight him honestly. He just has too many attacks and too much damage. I beat him by
circling around with my shield up and hitting him in the back. Surprisingly effective, he can't keep up. Also some of his horizontal swings will miss if you keep him by the stairs.
That was my strategy in other Souls games, but the way they keep 100% block shields with decent stability till later as well as have fast aggressive bosses meant I focused on twohanding instead. On my next play through, I'm going to try to make a shield viable earlier.

I don't think a shield is viable for Aldritch though. He fires at you WHILE the arrows are going, you need to be mobile.

ExVicis

Does he quit being such a downer about the connections to the previous games?

I haven't yet started following the ENB playthroughs yet but, being a downer in what way? If it's in references to the previous games I'm actually really enjoying the ways they're doing it.

ramyeon

I haven't yet started following the ENB playthroughs yet but, being a downer in what way? If it's in references to the previous games I'm actually really enjoying the ways they're doing it.
At the start he felt that it was too much fan service and was concerned whether there would be a good enough reason lorewise to be doing it.

He's been pretty positive recently, I mean he even loved D
eacons of the Deep
which I thought was a pretty terrible boss.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Early in the playthrough he is pretty down on all the references to other games and it sort of makes it less fun to watch.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't played DS1, are there any decent videos/articles that explains the link between the games? Had a feeling I was missing out on a lot.

Stat!

Can anyone help me in the area after the
Pontiff fight
? Trying to get to
Anor Londo
and struggling.

Im on Ps4. My PSN is Stat_09

You can backstab great crabs (yet its from the front) lol!

There are a few things that you can do "visceral" attacks to from the front when you have hurt them enough that they get stunned. It's normally bigger things like the crabs or the wolf beast thing. This happens to bosses as well. Did it to both N
ameless
K
ing
and his mount.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can anyone help me in the area after the
Pontiff fight
? Trying to get to
Anor Londo
and struggling.

Im on Ps4. My PSN is Stat_09

Just run past everyone and go straight for the lift.

Wow, this game's difficulty curve just spikes after you get to
Lothric Castle
huh? Been banging my head against the Consumed King's Garden for half an hour now. :|

That area is actually really small, just sneak around the guys at the start (or run past em), it's not worth taking them on unless you can deal fire damage. Just be sure to get the Estus shard on the lift down.

Samaritan

Lothric Castle
huh? Been banging my head against the Consumed King's Garden for half an hour now. :|

ExVicis

At the start he felt that it was too much fan service and was concerned whether there would be a good enough reason lorewise to be doing it.

He's been pretty positive recently, I mean he even loved D
eacons of the Deep
which I thought was a pretty terrible boss.
Eugh. I disliked the boss to be honest.

Glad he's getting better, one of my least favorite criticisms of Dark Souls 2 was people getting upset about the references to Dark Souls 1. I've been holding off on ENB because I've been hearing quite a few complaints but if he's better now though maybe I'll start checking out a few.

Lothric Castle

That was one place I never even bothered exploring very much. I grabbed the items and stuff and killed the boss but never stuck around to bother killing the enemies. Really not worth the effort.

Keinu

Lothric Castle

What's troubling you there? Remember to have plenty of firebombs to deal with the dark monster thingies.

Roll towards it when he is still in the air.

He's a great cashcow though lots of hosts will also die.

Flying move is what I always want him to do, I evade it 100% of the time. Wait until he starts the dive, you need a bit of patience, then roll to the side. And you can safely hit him twice or so. For his moves, they are rather slow and most have the same timing. Wait till he actually swings and roll into it.

But you can also block quite a bit with the Lothric shield, its useful against him. I mostly block his lightning AoE since its sort of hard to evade.

If you're a magic user you can just keep your distance and snipe him, he'll mostly just slow walk at you, though he will start doing the flying attack a lot towards the end.

Thanks for the tips. I'll get back on later and see what I can do.

Samaritan

Which part? I found the garden super easy once you find all the shortcuts.

The sludge snake monsters (don't know what to call them) are just hugely difficult to kill consistently. They're so large and their movements are so erratic that they're difficult to successfully dodge all the time, and if they manage to land two hits, it's lights out.

I've been breezing through the game up to this point, but these snake things are wrecking me.

Should probably mention I'm playing a DEX build, so standing there and blocking hits isn't really going to work for me.

mxgt

Banned
I think the Dark Souls parry sound might be my favourite sound in all of games. Especially when you get it in PvP.

The sludge snake monsters (don't know what to call them) are just hugely difficult to kill consistently. They're so large and their movements are so erratic that they're difficult to successfully dodge all the time, and if they manage to land two hits, it's lights out.

I've been breezing through the game up to this point, but these snake things are wrecking me.

Should probably mention I'm playing a DEX build, so standing there and blocking hits isn't really going to work for me.

I just cheese them with firebombs and fire arrows. Just can't be bothered fighting them 1v1.

UrbanRats

Fire weapon sends them into a stagger dance.

Keinu

As I posted above, they become trivial with some firebombs :)

SkylineRKR

Not only firebombs, pyromancy as well. And fire weapons. I usually threw a fireball, got a combo in, got out of range and repeat.

Samaritan

Wow it really sounds like cheesing them with firebombs is the only way to go, huh? I've kind of been avoiding that cause it feels cheap, but I suppose if it's in the game use it...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

How to easily own those guys.

Fire damage stuns them. But, there's a period of latency between the stun effect proccing successively. So for example, you shoot a fire arrow, then follow up with a few regular arrow shots while they are squealing. Wait a second or two, then repeat the process.

Works with melee strikes too. Fire hit to stun, then follow up with a volley of hard straight physical hits.

Stat!

Just run past everyone and go straight for the lift.

That area is actually really small, just sneak around the guys at the start (or run past em), it's not worth taking them on unless you can deal fire damage. Just be sure to get the Estus shard on the lift down.

Literally impossible cause I keep getting invaded by multiple people. Like 2 at a time. I didn't even know you could get invaded by 2 people at once.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
From memory:

Bonfire -> Kill crossbow guy on the wooden roof near bonfire -> drop down -> sprint towards stairs -> roll past axe guy -> enter elevator -> sprint past those 4 guys who need to climb up first -> another crossbow guy, instead of running past him in a straight line go right and drop down two ledges -> sprint/roll past spear guys -> enter Vordt boss room

Seriously though, if you sprint past enemies and keep sprinting they usually won't be able to get you. There'll be some close calls and sometimes you'll get hit, but unless you really screw up you'll still end up with more Estus at the start of the fight than after a run where you engaged all the enemies.

Hmm I guess that's doable. It's probably more tense to run through the zone than to fight through it, but I bet it's also less frustrating. I'll give it a shot next time!

Keinu

Wow it really sounds like cheesing them with firebombs is the only way to go, huh? I've kind of been avoiding that cause it feels cheap, but I suppose if it's in the game use it...

Huh? Not sure I agree on your definition of cheesing. The game teaches you to use fire against these dark enemise in the very first level, firebombs is the easiest available source.

SDR-UK

Literally impossible cause I keep getting invaded by multiple people. Like 2 at a time. I didn't even know you could get invaded by 2 people at once.

Alright my sign is down straight outside of the door with the password NGAF and Cross Region Matchmaking enabled. Hopefully you can pick me up and we can get you through this area.

Finished!

Archdragon's Peak and Lothric Castle
might be two of my favorite Souls levels out there to explore. Loved them both. The Nameless King was a complete pain in the butt as mentioned earlier but good lord he looked amazing and that was just EPIC!

Soul of Cinder
was also a much better finisher than Gwynn. Similar in some ways but definitely a fun fight to figure out.

I apparently got the secret
usurpation of fire ending
which was pretty bad ass.

At the moment - game of the year. Bar none. This is everything I wanted and more from a sequel to Dark Souls and it helps wipe away the bad taste in my mouth left by DS2 which is a game that just never clicked with me no matter how hard I tried with it.

Miyazaki, I kneel before you. Now give me Bloodborne 2 please.

Samaritan

Huh? Not sure I agree on your definition of cheesing. The game teaches you to use fire against these dark enemise in the very first level, firebombs is the easiest available source.

I suppose it ultimately comes down to how we find enjoyment with these games, but when you first encounter these enemies and you see the firebombs next to them, it felt like the game was telling you "Hey, these guys are REALLY tough. So tough, in fact, that you'll need to cheese them down with firebombs for now because you really aren't ready to take them on."

So coming across them much later on in the game, I felt like it was time for a rematch, but they're still just as much of a pain in the ass after all.

MilkBeard

I mean it's just frustrating because he saw ALL the hints.
He saw the developer note about the bridge being weak, he saw the platform with an enemy on it directly below the bridge and he even saw Horace and the items down in the Smouldering Lake. Yet he didn't even TRY to cut it down, just ran across it a couple of times.
See below.

Oh I know. Just like I posted earlier I missed tons of stuff myself. Not trying to knock ENB at all. Dude has taught a Souls noobie like me tons about the lore of the game. I guess it's more frustrating because even though he's super meticulous he's missing stuff and I'm genuinely enjoying his perspective on things.

I think From actually botched the bridge a little bit, because
you can only cut it from one side. So what happens, you try the first side, nothing happens, and then people usually don't even try the other side. The should have made the uncuttable side attached another way, so that it has the desired effect without seeming like weird game logic. Epicnamebro tried to cut the uncuttable side and then gave up that idea.

Gestahl

No, 50 is fine for that part. 70-80 is endgame level, quite overleveled for the dancer imo. I killed her first try at level 48-50.

It depends on the playstyle. If you explore thoroughly and die occasionally but always recover your souls, have the serpent ring or shield of want equipped in the later areas, and prioritize leveling over buying cosmetic items you can easily end up in the low-mid 70s at that point without it feeling strange

Though levels aren't the main issue here, since it's more how much damage you can deal by the time you're supposed to fight her that makes her so flaccid an encounter. If you have Carthus Rouge unlocked you can be level whatever and it won't change how fast she melts.

UrbanRats

It depends on the playstyle. If you explore thoroughly and die occasionally but always recover your souls, have the serpent ring or shield of want equipped in the later areas, and prioritize leveling over buying cosmetic items you can easily end up in the low-mid 70s at that point without it feeling strange
Yeah, I rarely waste Souls, I usually level up because DkS2 conditioned me to, and I was level 82 by the end.
And I never farmed, nor I used the 5 free levels.

x3r0123

Shackles are easy. Equip Mound-makers and put a red sign down outside the Pontiff bonfire. You'll get constant summons for PvP which gives shackles as a reward. Also works for pale tongues.

Vertebra shackles can be gotten by doing PVP, so that is at least more obtainable than having to rely on luck/farming. FROM Software should have made the covenant items as purchaseable items in NG++ and above like the did in DS2 or made them all available trough PVP and coop.

well if someone here could help me cheaply farm then that would be awesome otherwise i'll just go to popular pvp spots

Did they increase the drop rate of covenant items from pve kills? I was able to farm Proof of Concord Kept a lot faster after the latest patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom