• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Huh! I would certainly have missed the latter area if it requires a gesture to access it. Cheers!

Me too, so many of the secrets/conditions for quests in this game are so obscure that you need to regularly consult a wiki whilst playing.

KHlover

Banned
this to me is why getting tounges is hard... i guess i just got unlucky but i farmed dark wraiths ... i killed like 70 or something only got 2 tounges... 2

�� why cant invasions ever be 1v1
Because that's what Red Soapstones are for :p

NEO0MJ

Me too, so many of the secrets/conditions for quests in this game are so obscure that you need to regularly consult a wiki whilst playing.

Yeah, this has always been a thing with Souls game. Like, how were you supposed to know in DaS that
the only way to save Solaire was to collect over 30 humanities, pledge allegiance to the chaos covenant, go to a secret door, and kill the bug before it exits the place?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Today I got the whole afternoon to myself for a change and instead of cutting the grass or looking at any of those odd-jobs that need done around the house, I just got comfortable and put on Dark Souls.

First off, my god
Irithyll Valley is some beautiful scenery. Simply stunning.

Had a really fun time with 2 bosses though.

Sulyvahn and Aldritch.

Summoned Anri and the Black Hand guy for Sulyvahn. First time I've used any Summons in this game and it made for a nice change of pace, not having all the boss's aggro to deal with. It also worked out quite funny when Sulyvahn summoned his own back-up, making it 2v2 as The Black Hand had already died. Anri and me finished the job.

Then I pushed on and discovered Anor Londo, and found The Silver Knights Archers have returned! Loved the whole area and I think Aldritch is a great boss. He's squishy and leaves very obvious openings to attack, but has some very dangerous moves of his own. Makes for a good balanced challenge, I think.

You couldn't make up how my fights against him went. I helped Anri first and it took us 3 tries because she kept dying to his crazy arrow storm attack. I was like, "Good god woman get back!!!". Then we killed him and all 3 of us died at the same time, in the arrows. I was in too close, swinging away and never noticed he had pulled back his bow. Got my Ember though and Anri's sign vanished, so I knew we'd got him. (Got her sword now as well).

Then I took him on myself and killed him on the 2nd attempt...and we both died at the same time, in his arrows....Honestly...No word of a lie. He had a sliver of health left and I charged in for a running jumping R2 attack. I was committed, when once again he pulled back his bow...I held my breath as we died together, again, and then I got the on-screen confirmation along with his Soul and Cinder thing, before being put back at the last Bonfire.

It was an eventful, enjoyable afternoon.

joanot

Darkmoon covenant is so broken is frustrating, I have been reading a book with the game running for 5 hours, been summoned twice, both times the inavder went back to his world... Patch this shit from & give rewards if the invader goes away pls

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah, this has always been a thing with Souls game. Like, how were you supposed to know in DaS that
the only way to save Solaire was to collect over 30 humanities, pledge allegiance to the chaos covenant, go to a secret door, and kill the bug before it exits the place?

Yea, personally I don't like the excessive obscurity. So many of the quests seem dependent on you stumbling across a certain character in a random previously visited location. It gives you zero indication of what you are supposed to do to advance them. Basically every quest character disappeared on me thoughout the game without explanation.

I know people could argue that it adds to the mystery or whatever but I think it's just irritating to have to play the game with some sort of guide so as to not miss out.

ok so if im a finger i get a tongue if i win pvp...😮 but i did this once and didnt get a tongue after a win..?

Ive been getting tongues pretty much every time.
You're supposed to beat the host to get the tongue. Just checked my inventory and from doing pvp outside S
ullyvan
ive got 36

Molemitts

I finished the game. I liked it a lot. The level design is great, the combat is fun, the NPCs, though I missed many, were pretty well done.

Spoilers from here, I guess.

I don't like how much the game relied on the previous entries. Sometimes a reference will make you smile, but the game really lacks its own identity, in the way Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne do. I kind of expected this but in general, I'm not a fan of what the sequels have done to the lore of Dark Souls 1, but I can still appreciate that game in a vacuum so it's not a big deal. I hope the Dark Souls series ends here for reasons that I'm sure have been stated many times. I would really like to see Miyazaki work on a new IP with an entirely new formula. Maybe there could be a Souls style game every so often, though. One thing I really appreciate with Dark Souls III is Siegward's story, it is a clever subversion of Siegmeyer's story, with a brilliantly climatic ending. That's the kind of call back I want.

I have complaints, but the game is a lot of fun.

Ladekabel

I didn't play much in the last week so I just arrived at Irythyll or however it is written. I found a Claymore and love it. But I'm looking to make a dex based character. But I'd like to use the Claymore. Should I infuse it with an element, refined or sharp? And how far is the Washing Pole?

And I found Smouldering Lake because I read about it. But I thought the fights there were a little bit hard though I beat the worm thanks to the spears being shot at me. Should I do that area now or safe it for later?

I didn't play much in the last week so I just arrived at Irythyll or however it is written. I found a Claymore and love it. But I'm looking to make a dex based character. But I'd like to use the Claymore. Should I infuse it with an element, refined or sharp? And how far is the Washing Pole?

And I found Smouldering Lake because I read about it. But I thought the fights there were a little bit hard though I beat the worm thanks to the spears being shot at me. Should I do that area now or safe it for later?

Washing poles after the first boss in Irithyll.
You get it from the
handmaiden by giving her Eastern warriors ashes that you find

Markitron

Smouldering Lake is a pretty tough area, and extremely irritating, but there are some decent items in the catacombs. he point of going thru the catacombs is to stop the ballista - which seems excessive to me for an area you won't be revisiting. My advice would be to ignore the underground parts for now and just do the boss, which is easily accessible straight away. Be sure to get the bonfire close to the fog door. If your feeling up to it you could just try and dash thru the catacombs and grab all the items, clearing out the enemies is extremely tough and could take a long time.

DPB

Also, the means of getting to the DLC area was needlessly obscure. There was no reason to go back to that area which was completely out of the way.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Sharp Gem is the one for a Dex build. I know Refined is for a Quality build, it's the one I used on my Claymore.

Steel

Banned
There is always someone that makes this complaint for any PvP game and almost everytime they speak for everyone o_O

I do not share your opinion

The truth is that it varies. Sometimes it's almost perfect, others it's slightly off enough to piss you off, then even others are complete and utter shitfests with people teleporting.

MrHoot

Question for NG+

Does killing Emma early and accessing Lothric castle to get some chunks before going to Undead settlement fucks up future NPC questline or will they go as planned ?

Ladekabel

Washing poles after the first boss in Irithyll.
You get it from the
handmaiden by giving her Eastern warriors ashes that you find

Smouldering Lake is a pretty tough area, and extremely irritating, but there are some decent items in the catacombs. he point of going thru the catacombs is to stop the ballista - which seems excessive to me for an area you won't be revisiting. My advice would be to ignore the underground parts for now and just do the boss, which is easily accessible straight away. T Be sure to get the bonfire close to the fog door. If your feeling up to it you could just try and dash thru the catacombs and grab all the items, clearing out the enemies is extremely tough and could take a long time.

I think the Sharp Gem is the one for a Dex build. I know Refined is for a Quality build, it's the one I used on my Claymore.

Thanks.

Kazooie

Banned
How many weapons have had A scaling to strength in the last games? Currently rocking a Heavy Dark Sword with 45 strength and it just destroys everything in PvE. I'm sad there is no twinblade equivalent from DaS 2.

Noobcraft

Just beat the game. Took me 70 hours and 27 minutes. Definitely harder than Bloodborne despite BB being my first dive into fromsoft games. I liked it. 9.5/10

Markitron

Just beat the game. Took me 70 hours and 27 minutes. Definitely harder than Bloodborne despite BB being my first dive into fromsoft games. I liked it. 9.5/10

And I thought I took far too long with 41 hours! What level did you finish the game at?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely harder than Bloodborne despite BB being my first dive into fromsoft games.

People usually say your first one is the hardest, and it's true in my case. I've played through Dark Souls 1, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and now I'm on DaS 3. For me Dark Souls 1 is the toughest bastard of them all.

I'm almost 30 hours into DaS 3 so far, and I might think it's the easiest one yet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid question:

I messed up opening the mound-makers covenant this playthrough and I'm collecting
katanas
. Anyone have a
Bloodlust
they're not using and are okay parting with? Gladly swap for whatever I have in stock.

usp84

PvP is just so 👌👌👌
Getting summoned into Fight Clubs is great

Yes for the first time in my Souls history i actively engage in PvP. I didnt care much on the other games not because it was worse or anything, it's just that for some reason i like it in this game .

SDR-UK

Stupid question:

I messed up opening the mound-makers covenant this playthrough and I'm collecting
katanas
. Anyone have a
Bloodlust
they're not using and are okay parting with? Gladly swap for whatever I have in stock.

PS4? (Also do you have at least a +2 weapon? - for some reason I upgraded mine to that).

JDB

Banned
Defeated the Abyss Watchers on my SL1 playthrough! The first boss I've had trouble with so far. The flame trail of his attacks in the second phase is a real pain in the ass.

Minamu

Consider backing up your NG save to revisit when the DLC becomes available. I personally thought the Bloodborne DLC was a little too taxing on NG+ so was glad to have a NG file to return to.
Yeah I thought so too. And I was in NG++++ I think :/ But, it was a nice challenge, and I'm already in NG+ now so ^^

There is always someone that makes this complaint for any PvP game and almost everytime they speak for everyone o_O

I do not share your opinion

you can call it opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that there is lag, massive ghost range, phantom hits, and exploitations that have plagued the series since DS1. There's videos on how to use the shitty online lag to your favor

Noobcraft

People usually say your first one is the hardest, and it's true in my case. I've played through Dark Souls 1, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and now I'm on DaS 3. For me Dark Souls 1 is the toughest bastard of them all.

I'm almost 30 hours into DaS 3 so far, and I might think it's the easiest one yet.
I didn't really have any trouble with BB bosses because they were all pretty much the same. BSB gave me a bit of grief but other than that Ludwig's Holy Blade carried me through the rest of the game pretty easily.

Cyrano

Has anyone done any research on where plinking (range where weapon bounces off walls/shields) range is for large weapons (greatswords in particular)? It seems really inconsistent.

IbukiLordSA

Hectic, a Russian hero

zbnKGbw.jpg

FaintDeftone

Damn man I have totally hit a wall with
Dancer of Boreal Valley
. This thing is ruthless. Even if I summon two other players we all die within the second stage. Shit is rough!

Yuria/Ending question:

So I'm pretty sure I got the Usurpation of Fire ending, that's the one where you grab the fire and walk past people chanting about Londor right? Well I chose not to go into New Game + and back at firelink Yuria is still there. I thought she was supposed to be gone and have left her equips?

Also now that ive been paying attention what even is the point of durability, did i unlock some special mode or glitch cause everytime i come back to FLS it automatically goes back up to normal.

What even is the point?¿?

So is getting the 'good' ending even worth it? Seems like it's extremely lackluster and vanilla as fuck.

Also now that ive been paying attention what even is the point of durability, did i unlock some special mode or glitch cause everytime i come back to FLS it automatically goes back up to normal.

What even is the point?¿?

Durability is only an issue if you keep invading/co-oping without using a bonfire. Every X amount of tries my weapon is at risk. It's been much better than in DS1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom