• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Ravn

Banned
First stage of NK is relatively easy. Second? Not so much.

Really?
I always thought the second form was much easier than the first. Then again, the first form isn't really hard either. It's just that the camera continuously flies all over the place. Once I learned that I should be locking on to him all the time and just switch to the King of Storms when I wanted to attack the damned bird made it even easier.

As for strategy...
Overall, I don't think it's that hard of a boss. He's no Orstein & Smough, that's for sure. If you want my opinion, just dodge everything and don't get greedy. I barely used my shield during the fight and mostly relied on rolling around. Stay close to him at all times (unless you need to heal), dodge his attacks, stab him once (or twice, but be careful) and give yourself some time to fill up your stamina bar. Never let it deplete, since you'll need to dodge two to four attacks in a row. At that point it's more of a battle of attrition than anything else: whether he manages to kill you before you can slowly kill him.

So to get Patches I need to get armour that only Patches can provide? What is this nonsense?

These Dark Souls side quests have always been unnecessarily stupid.

He means that you can have acquired the armor in a previous cycle and carry it over to NG+ and beyond. So you wouldn't need to trigger Patches in order to get the armor to save the other NPC.

test_account

XP-39C²
I realised this in Bloodborne when I was fighting Father Gascoigne. His final stage nearly killed me and I was like, "Well, time for another round of ride the elevator back to the boss door", but then I got a popup saying that I got a message rated and my PC got back up and that's how I beat Father Gascoigne the first time.

I noticed that the same life-bar refill thing happens in DS 3 too while on the High Wall of Lothric.
That is a cool feature in the game =)

So to get Patches I need to get armour that only Patches can provide? What is this nonsense?

No no :) I just mean that its possible to get
Siegward out of the well in NG+ without meeting Patches, because you can get Siegward's armor set after freeing him. This carries over to NG+.

He means that you can have acquired the armor in a previous cycle and carry it over to NG+ and beyond. So you wouldn't need to trigger Patches in order to get the armor to save the other NPC.
Indeed :)

mulac

Best the game last night and after spending some time wandering around kicked off NG+ and hunting around for my +1 rings.

Are most people rocking NG++++ by now or restarted with new characters?

Was thinking of going for the Plat but reading PSTrophies it looks to be just annoying.

I missed pretty much all the NPC Quests also :( Except Onion Knight.

As I understand it you need to open all of the double doors (the giant blue/green ones and the shortcuts to the bonfire) in the Cathedral of the Deep to get Patches to show up at Firelink.

That is a cool feature in the game =)

No no :) I just mean that its possible to get
Siegward out of the well in NG+ without meeting Patches, because you can get Siegward's armor set after freeing him. This carries over to NG+.

Indeed :)

But Patches never came in my first playthrough. He has never appeared for me. Not once.

As I understand it you need to open all of the double doors (the giant blue/green ones and the shortcuts to the bonfire) in the Cathedral of the Deep to get Patches to show up at Firelink.

I'll give this a go. Thanks.

Septimius

Now farming the three fat knights on top of G
rand Cathedral
to buy all the armour from the Handmaiden.

Best farming spot I've found, and I've done the math on quiet some, is Grand Archives. From the GA bonfire, run to the four first wax people near the little pool, then continue going till you've cleared the next section. You end up killing eight wax dudes and seven thralls, netting you 19k souls per minute. That's 1.1 mill per hour. Shield Of Want, Sign of Averice, Silver ring.

Floody

Best the game last night and after spending some time wandering around kicked off NG+ and hunting around for my +1 rings.

Was thinking of going for the Plat but reading PSTrophies it looks to be just annoying.

I just stopped at NG for now, the Platinum is too grindy for me to want to get it and playing the Old Hunters on NG+4 gave me a lesson I'll never forget. Might back it up and go through NG+ closer to a DLC release though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Really?
I always thought the second form was much easier than the first. Then again, the first form isn't really hard either. It's just that the camera continuously flies all over the place. Once I learned that I should be locking on to him all the time and just switch to the King of Storms when I wanted to attack the damned bird made it even easier.

When it comes to
larger bosses in the series, I've never locked on so the camera wasn't a problem. The moves are all telegraphed well before they come, so once I knew them I'd say 9 out of 10 times I get through him.

As for strategy...
Overall, I don't think it's that hard of a boss. He's no Orstein & Smough, that's for sure. If you want my opinion, just dodge everything and don't get greedy. I barely used my shield during the fight and mostly relied on rolling around. Stay close to him at all times (unless you need to heal), dodge his attacks, stab him once (or twice, but be careful) and give yourself some time to fill up your stamina bar. Never let it deplete, since you'll need to dodge two to four attacks in a row. At that point it's more of a battle of attrition than anything else: whether he manages to kill you before you can slowly kill him.

I guess one of the issues is I do get too greedy.
I'm also finding his moveset difficult to read, so I make moves too early and get punished. Terrible combination. Plus, my +10 WP does pretty poor damage (I guess he's slash resistant?), so I have to keep up the rhythm for longer than my nerves can handle :D

Thanks for the tips, man. I'll let you know how it goes!

Meccs

OMG! People weren't kidding when they said Aldrich the Faithful and Anor Londo is active in terms of PvP! I will probably stay SL65 forever! Invasion are instand as well as auto summons for Aldrich! I need to unequip the covenant item to make any progress. I'm having so much fun. This is the best random PvP I had in DKS3. Most invasion end up as 2vs2 or being so chaotic with reds joining in that I can't stop playing! I missed out on that with my first character because my SL was already too high.

Quick question though: there is a cooperation with an NPC to kill
Aldrich
. This doesn't have any effect on my world though, does it? I mean, I still can get invited and stuff?

I guess one of the issues is I do get too greedy.
I'm also finding his moveset difficult to read, so I make moves too early and get punished. Terrible combination. Plus, my +10 WP does pretty poor damage (I guess he's slash resistant?), so I have to keep up the rhythm for longer than my nerves can handle :D

Thanks for the tips, man. I'll let you know how it goes!

If you're having trouble reading him, it's a very normal thing coz he has some really slow swings mixed in with some really fast thrusts. I had a really hard time with
Nameless King
till I decided to NOT attack him at all in the second phase till I had seen all his attacks. So I just dodged his attacks as best as I could and didn't attack him for like the first 5 minutes to get a read on his swing and thrust timings. After that, I perfected him without taking a single hit. I think faster weapons are better if you're soloing him coz most of the faster weapons can hit him twice and still give you a decent window to dodge away.

Quick question though: there is a cooperation with an NPC to kill
Aldrich
. This doesn't have any effect on my world though, does it? I mean, I still can get invited and stuff?

Nope. When you get summoned, you only kill
Aldrich
in that particular NPC's world not yours.

Meccs

Nope. When you get summoned, you only kill
Aldrich
in that particular NPC's world not yours.

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure since PvP in this place is so much fun! Thanks!

Edit: I just tried this NPC coop summon (
Aldrich
) and did load in but after walking one step it booted me back to my world. Strange.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If you're having trouble reading him, it's a very normal thing coz he has some really slow swings mixed in with some really fast thrusts. I had a really hard time with
Nameless King
till I decided to NOT attack him at all in the second phase till I had seen all his attacks. So I just dodged his attacks as best as I could and didn't attack him for like the first 5 minutes to get a read on his swing and thrust timings. After that, I perfected him without taking a single hit. I think faster weapons are better if you're soloing him coz most of the faster weapons can hit him twice and still give you a decent window to dodge away.

That's a good idea.

I need the WP's reach for the first phase and don't have time to switch out for the second because the swine starts... doing his thing. I'm just going to have to sacrifice my below 30% loadout to switch quickly.

Thanks again!

Meccs

That's a good idea.

I need the WP's reach for the first phase and don't have time to switch out for the second because the swine starts... doing his thing. I'm just going to have to sacrifice my below 30% loadout to switch quickly.

Thanks again!
The secret to NK like most of the bosses in DKS3 is a fast weapon. You only have a very small window to attack. I did it with the Dark Sword but anything faster should work even better. I did my first playthrough with the Claymore but always switched to a fast weapon for a boss.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
At this point, there are 4 playthroughs you can watch, all entertaining for different reasons

- ENB
- Kay (just started)
- Jeff Green
- OnlyAfro

Candyland!

Tarkus

I've finally decided to finish the game and focus on PvP. It's a shame; however, there is drastically less action at SL110 compared to SL<100. 80 seemed like the most active. Are there any other hot spots besides Pontiff and High Wall 1st bonfire?

Meccs

I've finally decided to finish the game and focus on PvP. It's a shame; however, there is drastically less action at SL110 compared to SL<100. 80 seemed like the most active. Are there any other hot spots besides Pontiff and High Wall 1st bonfire?

Anor Londo. But yes, 80-90 seems to be the most active.

Styles

lewl, just got 5 concords in one session on the PS4. Invaders kept spawning right as we killed one. of them. It was hilarious.

Ready to just give up on NK and just shelve the game until the DLC.

He doesn't seem too difficult, it's just that spending a few minutes on the first phase to die in under 10 seconds makes learning the second part incredibly tedious.

Meccs

I can see this for invasions, but not for Red Sign summoning. Where exactly? In the lower portion?
Yes, if you want to invade. For 1vs1 there are just those two you mentioned. I'm not a big fan of fight clubs though.

Ready to just give up on NK and just shelve the game until the DLC.

He doesn't seem too difficult, it's just that spending a few minutes on the first phase to die in under 10 seconds makes learning the second part incredibly tedious.
That's what annoyed me the most. Having to go through the first phase again and again. Don't give up though!

Finished the XB1 version, and I want to play the PC version, but is it worth getting at present? I heard there were bugs and problems with cheaters/softbans in PvP.

Having already played through it, I'm more than willing to hold off on a second playthrough until things improve if things are still bad.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone keeping up with ENB's playthrough?
I have never been annoyed by a lets play before but honestly don't bother watching episode 27 and 28. He spends about 45 minutes fighting Pontiff, getting him down to one hit from dying and then stops and says 'no I don't understand the battle yet' and just lets himself be killed.
Yeah that's just really stupid and annoying. Another reason why I never watch LPs, even so-called quality youtubers don't sound fun to watch at all.

NEO0MJ

Had my first session helping someone defeat invaders in Anor Londo. So many of them, and I one time lost the host, lol.
I feel a lot of players haven't familiarized themselves with the Dragonslayer Swordspear's art and so I was landing it a lot.

pa22word

Anyone having better luck with BS/Darkmoon summons lately? Decided to take a break from the game for a bit until they get it sorted.

Finally beat the final boss
soul of cinder
at sl1 shieldless. What a total pain in the ass boss, I can't believe it took me 5 days of attempts to down this bastard

Kill video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9awTHx3Zso (spoilers!)

Anyway now that I've logged 100 ish hours in the game since the jp version, I'll probably put it down for a little while and pick it up in a month or so to get the plat trophy. Shame that ds3 didn't turn out to be as good as bloodborne :/ Guess the latter really is a once in a lifetime type of game

I think this depends on how you play. Bloodborne has some really absurdly lenient dodges and dashes and movement options, which just do not exist in Souls, so your iFrames and general avoidance are a lot worse for wear. But if you just hide behind a shield, Souls will be considerably easier (and slower).

Also I found parrying to be far easier and far less punished in Bloodborne.

I don't think thats true.
I'm playing DS3 just like I play every DS. No shield except for parrying + stat boost and high DEX dodge build. I can get away with so much more in this game. Take the Lord of the Abyss here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYI2a4MweUM

Second try on them. No problem. I haven't had one boss or NPC that has been an issue. I can always count on the invincible frames plus getting behind them to take them out. In BB thats just not the case. I died over and over and over despite the fact that I had the Viscerals down perfectly it just varies the enemies enough that its really unpredictable.

I am not saying that makes me enjoy DS3 any less just that it really puts all that BS people were trying to say about BB into even more perspective.

Finally beat the final boss
soul of cinder
at sl1 shieldless. What a total pain in the ass boss, I can't believe it took me 5 days of attempts to down this bastard

Kill video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9awTHx3Zso (spoilers!)

Anyway now that I've logged 100 ish hours in the game since the jp version, I'll probably put it down for a little while and pick it up in a month or so to get the plat trophy. Shame that ds3 didn't turn out to be as good as bloodborne :/ Guess the latter really is a once in a lifetime type of game

BB is a masterpiece. Truly a rare game. I'm not surprised about DS3. All of these games are amazing but you can only make perfection so often.

onionfrog

Here's how to fuck him up at sl1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1SHAsczXY (spoilers)
I'm really shit at this.
Spent 3 and a half hours trying this last night.

When I landed the parries right I still died since I don't quite have the DPS to finish him before he can even do anything in phase 2... Then I'd fuck up and get killed in phase 2. Made it really close a couple times though.

If nothing else, I'm really fucking good at the run up to the boss now!
:p

I'm gonna take a few days break and try it again later.

oracrest

Go NG+ these games are known for having new things happen in NG+

I just stopped at NG for now, the Platinum is too grindy for me to want to get it and playing the Old Hunters on NG+4 gave me a lesson I'll never forget. Might back it up and go through NG+ closer to a DLC release though.

Bloodborne has by far the toughest NG+ scaling in the series. DS3's NG+ feels much more like DS1's which is at most points completely negligible because you'll still be whacking down regular mobs in one hit and many bosses feel even easier than in NG.

I'm really shit at this.
Spent 3 and a half hours trying this last night.

When I landed the parries right I still died since I don't quite have the DPS to finish him before he can even do anything in phase 2... Then I'd fuck up and get killed in phase 2. Made it really close a couple times though.

If nothing else, I'm really fucking good at the run up to the boss now!
:p

I'm gonna take a few days break and try it again later.

Damn dude :/ What's your weapon upgrade level? I had a raw broadsword +7 iirc. Also you really need to max out your dps to burst him during the transition to phase 2, so I recommend Lloyd's Sword Ring + Flynn's Ring (take off your armour too, it won't help) + Cloranthy Ring + maybe Pontiff's Right Eye (the one that boosts attack as long as attacking persists)? I used the Shield Ring so I could survive after a failed parry but maybe the former will work better for you. Good luck, pontiff can be really tough but once you nail this strategy you'll experience the great feeling of completely trivialising him :D

zoukka

Ah finally beat
champion grundur or whatever
, what a pain in the ass. The longer attack chains were so hard to read...

The following story bit was haunting and whwn you give the key item to fire maiden shit got real epic and depressing. Goddamn this game is good.

I finally transitioned to a new weapon. Rocking the Dragonslayer Axe, seems quite potent.

Tactics18

At this point, there are 4 playthroughs you can watch, all entertaining for different reasons

- ENB
- Kay (just started)
- Jeff Green
- OnlyAfro

Candyland!

There's also A German Spy's playthrough but it's getting a little irritating.
I mean, I like the guy and I don't have any problems with criticising the game, but.. idk.

Gbraga

Personally I also think that Dark Souls 1 is a "once in a lifetime game". Bloodborne is my personal favorite among all of them, but I can still call Dark Souls a masterpiece without anything like it because it's just that good. This is most definitely not a series where you have no real reason to play the previous games once you have the newest.

I'm still on my first playthrough of Dark Souls III (
just beat High Lord Wolnir last night, ~79 hours
), but I'm getting the same feeling. This game is just brilliant. I feel like Bloodborne will still be my favorite, but I'll constantly play Dark III as well. Can't wait to do some quests differently on NG+. I really missed this kind of stuff in Bloodborne.

They're just special in particular ways, which is great because you always have reasons to come back to each of them and it'll feel like a completely different experience.

onionfrog

Damn dude :/ What's your weapon upgrade level? I had a raw broadsword +7 iirc. Also you really need to max out your dps to burst him during the transition to phase 2, so I recommend Lloyd's Sword Ring + Flynn's Ring (take off your armour too, it won't help) + Cloranthy Ring + maybe Pontiff's Right Eye (the one that boosts attack as long as attacking persists)? I used the Shield Ring so I could survive after a failed parry but maybe the former will work better for you. Good luck, pontiff can be really tough but once you nail this strategy you'll experience the great feeling of completely trivialising him :D
I'll need to get Flynn's ring and take off my armor for the extra dps.

I've got a raw broadsword +9 and carthus flame arc.

If I can get to the point where he never has a chance to attack it'll be fine.

NEO0MJ

Bloodborne has by far the toughest NG+ scaling in the series. DS3's NG+ feels much more like DS1's which is at most points completely negligible because you'll still be whacking down regular mobs in one hit and many bosses feel even easier than in NG.

Yeah, BB had the most extreme difficulty hike of any Souls game. I was freaked out by how strong Father Gascoine was when I fought him.

Ah finally beat
champion grundur or whatever
, what a pain in the ass. The longer attack chains were so hard to read...

One of the best bosses in the game, though. He deserves a spot in the Souls boss hall of fame.

I've got at least 1 or 2 weapons up to +10, but the supreme reinforcement trophy hasn't popped for me. Is it glitched?

That's strange. While I maxed out out two weapons before I got it with my thirs the first two were boss weapons. What weapons have you maxed?

Yeah, BB had the most extreme difficulty hike of any Souls game. I was freaked out by how strong Father Gascoine was when I fought him.

One of the best bosses in the game, though. He deserves a spot in the Souls boss hall of fame.

That's strange. While I maxed out out two weapons before I got it with my thirs the first two were boss weapons. What weapons have you maxed?

Black Knight Great Sword +5, and the Astora Straight Sword +10

chunk3rvd

Thinking I could have a tonne of fun with an Unbreakable Patches build and the mound-makers covenant. What would I need to get my cosplay build just right? He uses a winged spear and the twin dragon shield I think? What armour does he wear? Has anyone aggravated him and if so, does he still use miracles in this game? Also, any ring suggestions? I'm thinking a Hornet Ring for the occasional traitorous back stab once we reach the boss fog haha

NEO0MJ

I thought Dragonslayer Armour was more epic though. Maybe Pontiff too.

Those were also really nice fights. That fight felt a bit more spacial for me, though. Everyone has a fight that they prefer. It seems the
Crystal Sage
fight isn't liked here but I had fun with it. Like, not top ten but still thought it was a nice if gimmicky boss fight.

Black Knight Great Sword +5, and the Astora Straight Sword +10

I can understand a bit if the Black Knight Great Sword doesn't trigger it but the Astora Straight Sword should have done so.

Weirdest things you did for Fashion? I am currently having a char that is running dual Scimitars, but I have Mirrah Greatsword on my back... purely because it looks cool on the back.

GorillaJu

Thinking I could have a tonne of fun with an Unbreakable Patches build and the mound-makers covenant. What would I need to get my cosplay build just right? He uses a winged spear and the twin dragon shield I think? What armour does he wear? Has anyone aggravated him and if so, does he still use miracles in this game? Also, any ring suggestions? I'm thinking a Hornet Ring for the occasional traitorous back stab once we reach the boss fog haha

He sells the black leather armor set that he wears.

As for miracles, I don't believe he does.

DedValve

Banned
Does anybody HATE kicking in this game? Its so bloody awful.

Everytime I want to do a combo I accidentally kick at some point screwing me royally and sometimes even taking a life. Infuriating when it happens with bosses. Just fucking infuriating.

Never had this problem in DS1 or 2 but for some reason the changes in DS3 I'm kicking all the goddamn time now and I feel like I have to be super careful not to really touch the left stick at all when I'm attacking which is not how I played the last 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom