• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Dex scaling question... I'm building a pure dexterity character and am stumped on which weapon path to take. I'm currently using an Uchigatana +5 and a Great Scythe +3. The wiki doesn't seem to have good scaling info for AR purposes, so I was wondering which weapons were great for Dex characters. I've looked at the Chaos Blade but am not enamored with losing health each hit, and the Pontiff Knight Great Scythe has great S scaling with Dex but low base attack. Any other Dex bros out there with a bit of advice would be appreciated.

Tevren

Feeling a personal mini-wall on D
ancer
. Constantly getting Unable to Summon Phantoms drags it out. When i finally did get one through, they ran to the back and ust there, defeating the purpose of summoning them.

joanot

You mean this?
ClaRphU.gif

OMG lol

New to Dark souls series. I am using the mercenary character. Anyone have suggestions or website that a new player can go to to learn about everything in the game. Such as what to upgrade, the different items, and weapons to use. Any help would be appreciated thanks
For someone just starting out, I would definitely suggest you instead start out as a Knight character. It's a more viable build for more scenarios, and will help you gain a better understanding quicker of how Souls combat works. Plus the starting shield actually blocks a lot of damage.

Ferr986

Making slow progress because I'm not having much time. Just found the Fallen Knight Armor. Thing looks fucking awesome! I will never use another armor.

Fun fact: if you read the trousers description you will find that it's probably that
the old owner pee'ed on them.

Blinck

I've only played for 3 hours or so but I just want to say that the game seems fucking awesome.
I'm a bit tired of this "world"(wish it was something new like Bloodborne), but the aesthetics and the gameplay are just top notch.

Also, maybe I'm just used to bloodborne but I notice almost no frame pacing issues on PS4. Noticed much more on BB! Did they patch it or something?

E92 M3

I am down to 2 covenants:
Darkmoon
and the
Wolf
, and definitely not looking forward to the grind. Unfortunately, the auto-summon doesn't work at all.

Is the clerics candlestick a viable magic build weapon? Since it can cast sorceries and and attack. I'm just not sure I want to invest levels into strength and faith to use it.

Spacejaws

Man I love this game but damn do I still suck at the parry system. Half the time I seem to pull off the parry and still take damage.

Trying to not be such a coward this time but I striggle to see what is parrable and what is not. In general are mostly all attacks parryable?

Darkmoon
and the
Wolf
, and definitely not looking forward to the grind. Unfortunately, the auto-summon doesn't work at all.

The wolves are not actually that hard to farm in PVE with all the added chance for item find you get by the end of the game.

Ferr986

Darkmoon
and the
Wolf

It annoys me how Im missing the big influx of players right now (game is new) to level my
Darkmoon
character because this auto-summon not working shit.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I am having a blast with this game. Still early I think, taking my sweet time trying to master each area before I move on, just getting ready to start poking around Farron's Keep, but already I can tell this is going to be quite a journey.

I seem to be settling into a "Quality" build. Toying with the idea of infusing my Fire Claymore with a Refined Gem and switching between it and the Irithyll Sword. Put a good few points in Strength at first and those big Clubs do big damage, but I think I want something quicker now. I've got back into rolling, after worrying I would miss Bloodborne's dodge-step, and I think staying under 70% for a medium roll feels just right. I'm not touching any Magick of any kind. Relying on the Longbow for ranged attacks is working out very well so far.

So yeah, having an absolute blast :)

Oh, and what the hell is up with the Crow this time?!

Tickle me pump a rump!

E92 M3

The wolves are not actually that hard to farm in PVE with all the added chance for item find you get by the end of the game.

Yeah, the wolves I'm sure I can knock out within a couple of hours, but the knights on the other hand....

It annoys me how Im missing the big influx of players right now (game is new) to level my
Darkmoon

Yeah, I wish the blue sentinels had other terms for being summoned (say anyone's world that has A
ldritch
invaders).

Maximize the damage on the swings, during his 3-4 swing he can actually completely overshoot you and you can get a few extra hits if you're feeling lucky. He can only shoulder bash if you're in front of him so try not to be at all times, and he will do it very rarely. The kick however is the hardest move, if he gets you with it just roll back and immediately try to heal.

Heh, thanks. I finally got him. 0 Estus left, too. Good lord he was tough. I would have lol'd if I beat him on my first try. He only had that one sliver of health left. I was so close.

Darkmoon

Yeah...it would be really nice to know what is causing that bug to occur. That, or From actually fixes it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyone have tips for
Champion Gundyr
? I'm fucking livid right now. I got him down to a sliver of health on my first try and haven't come that close since. Also, how do you dodge his charge move? I've done it a few times by rolling left, but it doesn't alwasy work.

I focused on parrying his most telegraphed swings and dodging everything else.

krioto

Finally! Summoning actually worked for me last night - I summoned by accident, when trying to read a note, and the phantom turned up!

I then spent the rest of the night sun-broing the Abyss Watchers boss fight - picked up 11 medals - that fight is annoying one on one, but very easy with 2.

I also now have 5 darkswords from killing the dark wraiths that walk up towards the boss door whilst waiting, plus a full dark armour set - upgraded one sword to +4 and it goes through bone like butter

I'm currently fashion souling with the Drang armour, pants and gloves, teamed with the thief's hood - quite fetching

MilkBeard

Woohoo. Been invading in the
Pontiff/Anor Londo
area as an
Aldrich Faithful.
Fun shit. It's fun in these area invading covenants, especially in areas that are heavy with pvp. Makes for some fun fights.

Man I love this game but damn do I still suck at the parry system. Half the time I seem to pull off the parry and still take damage.

Trying to not be such a coward this time but I striggle to see what is parrable and what is not. In general are mostly all attacks parryable?

I have pretty much beaten all the Souls/Bloodborne games without mastering parries. In fact, I can probably count the number of times I've done it across all the games on one hand lol. I'm just bad at timing it and prefer to roll and attack.

Arjen

I've got a Dex scaling question... I'm building a pure dexterity character and am stumped on which weapon path to take. I'm currently using an Uchigatana +5 and a Great Scythe +3. The wiki doesn't seem to have good scaling info for AR purposes, so I was wondering which weapons were great for Dex characters. I've looked at the Chaos Blade but am not enamored with losing health each hit, and the Pontiff Knight Great Scythe has great S scaling with Dex but low base attack. Any other Dex bros out there with a bit of advice would be appreciated.
Scaling seems a little weird, the chaos blade has s Scaling in DEX but only does about 10 more then a sharp uchi or washing pole at 40 dex. I went from uchi to washing pole, and I love it, it has crazy reach.

So what are the recommended one-handed swords for Pyromancers? Currently using one of the straight swords you find early in the game. I like the move set and it's fast. Is the Crystal Sage rapier worth getting? And worth putting points into DEX for?

Soulflarz

Banned
I have pretty much beaten all the Souls/Bloodborne games without mastering parries. In fact, I can probably count the number of times I've done it across all the games on one hand lol. I'm just bad at timing it and prefer to roll and attack.

I parried a ton back in dark...and parried even more in bloodborne

DS3?

The I frames are really lenient so I don't even risk the chance of messing up, and therefore rolled *everything*

Hikami

Man, I
rythill
is tough. Had to finally ditch my Uchigatana. Using an Estoc for now, much faster and uses less stamina. Is there a better rapier or katana I could be using though that I have access to at this point?

So I'm in the Catacombs and there is a skeleton with a floppy hat just running away from me, he ends up going to an alcove with a ton of pots that you can roll through, some casting spells to hurt you. I ended up killing the skeleton and he wasn't back on my second run through the area. Was I supposed to do anything special with him?

ElFly

The dude that wanted to level me up for free is randomly dead. Why and what did I miss?

You only get like 6 free level ups.

It is not a big loss; cause it still raises the cost of the other level ups; ideally you'd save him until you are ridic level high by the endgame, but alas,
he dies long before that

you don't really lose much; it is how the questline goes

UberLevi

So if I killed the
red village giant
in U
ndead Settlement
and also pissed off
Sirris
is there no way for me to join the
Mound-Makers
?

This is the best game of the gen so far, imo. So much better than Bloodborne!
This can't be the end of Dark Souls. No way...the series doesn't deserve it.

And where the hell is the item to infuse weapons with lightning, lol. Still haven't found it.

EpicnameBro sounds so freaking bored. Really disappointing playthrough so far
I'm enjoying his playthrough. He's said a few times he wants answers to some of the questions and lore from DS1, I'm not that far ahead of him as per his most recent upload, so I don't know if they're coming or not - but I kind of hope they are too and that all the throwbacks to DS1 especially so far aren't just for fanservice and there are story reasons.

rdytoroll

Well to be fair he had already played through all of the game up until recently because his SSD crashed. Maybe he will be more excited for the content he is truly blind on.

Eh, I don't know. In the newest episode he was again playing blind and it seems like he's not feeling it. Maybe I'll watch again when he reaches a certain point. Want to see his reaction to that

krioto

So I'm in the Catacombs and there is a skeleton with a floppy hat just running away from me, he ends up going to an alcove with a ton of pots that you can roll through, some casting spells to hurt you. I ended up killing the skeleton and he wasn't back on my second run through the area. Was I supposed to do anything special with him?

you kill him, and the big skeleton ball stops rolling back and forth

rdytoroll

I'm enjoying his playthrough. He's said a few times he wants answers to some of the questions and lore from DS1, I'm not that far ahead of him as per his most recent upload, so I don't know if they're coming or not - but I kind of hope they are too and that all the throwbacks to DS1 especially so far aren't just for fanservice and there are story reasons.

I suspect what his reaction might be, based on how his playthrough has been going so far, but because I finished the game everything I'll say will be a spoiler to that. So yeah, I dunno

Does anyone else find the DS2 stuff to stick out like a sore thumb aesthetically speaking?

The Drang and Mirrah sets look so damn naff/over-designed to me. They just don't gel whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom