• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylineRKR

So I think I'm around SL 35 and just got the the
Cathedral of the Deep.

I've put around 24 points into Dex so far (14 vit, 14 Str, 16 END, 16 Vigor if I remember correct). I'm currently using a +2 Uchi. My question is -- If I use the sharp gem, would I see a noticeable difference in damage, or do I need to be a higher level for the dex scaling to matter?

Trying to get a better handle with all these stats, and whether I should use the sharp gem on my uchi or find another dex weapon to use it with

With STR and DEX so close, why not go Refined first? But you can see the outcome before you apply them.

GulAtiCa

Oh, they can stack? I thought one cancels out the other.

They Stack! I tested to make sure. With only the other, it was 216 on the guys at U
ndead Settlement
and went to 274 or so with both equiped. I'll check tonight to see what it might go to with the F
ire
C
lutch
ring.

jg4xchamp

Enjoying the game a lot, but the greatest hits of From Software nature of the encounter design/areas in the game, plus some blatant references are a bit off putting. The game still plays beautifully, and some of the bosses have been super legit, but it just isn't as creatively interesting as Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne.

Fuck me at the difficulty spike in
Anor Londo
. Fucking Knights and other strong enemies between bonfire and a super hard boss. Hard to run past it all without taking damage.
IMO during the Japaneses release, these knights were way worst. Now they can be stagger.
somewhat compare to no stagger before :p

About the camera issue I am seeing being mention again. The camera lock on is a tool that can only be useful during the right situations. Against fast large bosses its prob best just to lock on and lock off during the fight. I believe ENB was the person that mention that.

Bowlie

Banned
I have a question about a certain enemy in (zone name)
Irithyll
:

Moving forward until Pontiff's fight, you can sometimes see a ghost of a Pontiff Knight slowly walking, and though it's intangible it leaves a shadow on the ground.

Does that mean something at all?

Anyone?

Ferr986

Meanwhile my alternate lvl 28 character designed for being a Blue/Darkmoon

siegmeyer-of-catarina-large.jpg

Now I do't know if I should level her further or not.

Jharp

I accidentally aggro'd Leonhard by falling on him twice in the same Firelink visit. It's going to cost me 48,000 to absolve my sin but since he
turns hostile later on anyways, do I even need to bother? Will he still show up as an enemy after joining Rosaria's Fingers if he's hostile, or do I need him friendly for that to trigger?

Mid-late game question:
In Anor Londo, I can see a bonfire when I turn the contraption to get to the one before the boss, but I can't seem to get to it. What's it called and how do I get over there?

Mid-late game question:
In Anor Londo, I can see a bonfire when I turn the contraption to get to the one before the boss, but I can't seem to get to it. What's it called and how do I get over there?

With the platform raised up to anor lando, go down the stairs, and step over the bridge into nothingness, it seems like you'll fall but they are actually invisible platforms, go straight until you're near the bonfire and then turn at a 90 degree angle to drop off at it

Soulflarz

Banned
I have a question about a certain enemy in (zone name)
Irithyll
:

Moving forward until Pontiff's fight, you can sometimes see a ghost of a Pontiff Knight slowly walking, and though it's intangible it leaves a shadow on the ground.

Does that mean something at all?

Maybe foreshadowing?

I actually know what you're talking about, I just have no idea. Might want to ask the lore thread. Open spoilers within.

UberLevi

Doing a playthrough as a Pyromancer. Is pyromancy viable early game if I'm using it as an offhand thing, or should I just focus on weapon and shield until midgame or so? I'm going full strength for my weapon.

Quoting for a new page. Don't wanna bother this soon if it's not going to be useful til later on.

Citadel

You can check before you commit to the infusion. When you go to infuse sharp you can see what the new damage numbers will be and just compare to what you have now. But I think around 20s sharp should start getting better than the regular one yea.
Yeah, fair enough - I just have a lot of trouble with.. actually choosing things. I'll take a look with the current weapons / gems I have, and see what fits me best. I really wanted to go with the whole 'dual wield / twin swords' thing, but people are saying not to do that so I'll stick with a light sword but with 2H. Thanks for replying!

With STR and DEX so close, why not go Refined first? But you can see the outcome before you apply them.

I was under the impression that Refined was for STR/DEX. My STR is around 10 points less, so would it still help? I really only wanted the minimum STR points so I could use weapons, which is why I leaned towards the sharp gem. But true that - Dark Souls just makes me question every decision, even with infusions like this. Never had so much trouble picking an upgrade in a game before lol. Thanks for replying !

Sullichin

Quoting for a new page. Don't wanna bother this soon if it's not going to be useful til later on.

The starting pyro spell is great against the first boss and first *real* boss.
You'll want to rely mostly on your handaxe for getting through the level though.

Sullichin

Yeah, fair enough - I just have a lot of trouble with.. actually choosing things. I'll take a look with the current weapons / gems I have, and see what fits me best. I really wanted to go with the whole 'dual wield / twin swords' thing, but people are saying not to do that so I'll stick with a light sword but with 2H. Thanks for replying!

I was under the impression that Refined was for STR/DEX. My STR is around 10 points less, so would it still help? I really only wanted the minimum STR points so I could use weapons, which is why I leaned towards the sharp gem. But true that - Dark Souls just makes me question every decision, even with infusions like this. Never had so much trouble picking an upgrade in a game before lol. Thanks for replying !

Some people won't use certain weapons if they're not the best in their class or whatever. Pretty sure if you liked some dual swords and upgraded them you'd be fine.

Nephtes

Pyromancy was super useful in the early game for me...
Lots of early enemies are weak to or staggered to fire damage... Like the zombies that have HUGE coal like beasts erupt from them.

I feel that it's usefulness in terms of damage output wanes by the 30% mark...but it's still nice to have to comfortably finish off a boss from range when they're at low life and thrashing about in desperation...

I've never put any additional points into INT or Faith... So take that for what it's worth...

The lead up animations to most pyromancies make it too scary to use for up close fights... Or fights with enemies that can close distances fast...

Sullichin

Are Spears in this game not very good or something? I've never seen anyone use them, and people rarely talk about them.

Spears are boring as hell.

Someone wrecked me with a greatlance in PVP yesterday though. But otherwise they haven't been a problem for me. I had a really hard time against spear users in DS2 PVP but not so much this time.

Sane_Man

NG++ with an int rebuild is super fun so far. Just beat P
ontif
. He went down like a bitch. A lot of the bosses seem easier with magic than melee and a few much harder.

My new favourite thing is to get invaded and then use the Chameleon spell and watch the invader run around for yonks while I watch TV on my laptop until they eventually give up.

Tarkus

Are Spears in this game not very good or something? I've never seen anyone use them, and people rarely talk about them.
I tried the Partizan for a bit. Damage is decent but the moveset sucks to me.

Spears are boring as hell.

Someone wrecked me with a greatlance in PVP yesterday though. But otherwise they haven't been a problem for me. I had a really hard time against spear users in DS2 PVP but not so much this time.
Yeah, spears could viciously combo in DS2 with high damage.

Boogdud

It's fantastic to see the colossal amount of whining from invaders that have now had the gank tables turned on them. Delicious tears. It's amazing how they don't sense the irony in it.

Sullichin

It's fantastic to see the colossal amount of whining from invaders that have now had the gank tables turned on them. Delicious tears. It's amazing how they don't sense the irony in it.

Invaders were ALWAYS the ones who got ganked the most.

If you host yourself, you didn't have to worry about getting ganked. In previous games it was always getting summoned to a world with 2 sunbros+the host farming invaders.

Just beat
High Lord Wolnir
. Is it hard as a melee character? I'm a pyromancer, and that was damn near Pinwheel tier easy. He only hit me once, probably only attacked about four times, and I only hit to hit
his hands
with about six or so fireballs to kill him. Granted, a lot of my fireballs missed due to the camera/lock-on and his moving around, but still.

EDIT: Oh... oh my. That next area. I'm guessing that this is the area people are referring to when they talk about one being absolutely beautiful. It's fucking gorgeous.

Just beat
High Lord Wolnir
. Is it hard as a melee character?

If you can't accurately predict where his hands are gonna end up after his various moves, it can drag on a bit longer than it otherwise would. Eventually he winds up spawning mobs including
Skeleton Wheels
, and if you don't kill him fast enough
and he reaches the top of the arena you apparently instantly lose
. Having to get up close can leave you vulnerable to his
death gas attack
as well.

KHlover

Banned
Just beat
High Lord Wolnir
. Is it hard as a melee character? I'm a pyromancer, and that was damn near Pinwheel tier easy. He only hit me once, probably only attacked about four times, and I only hit to hit
his hands
with about six or so fireballs to kill him. Granted, a lot of my fireballs missed due to the camera/lock-on and his moving around, but still.
Wolnir
was as if someone dropped a Zelda boss straight into a Souls game. Also not hard as a sword user imo. Hit the obvious weak spots -> done

Sephzilla

Just beat
High Lord Wolnir
. Is it hard as a melee character?
I'm a pyromancer, and that was damn near Pinwheel tier easy. He only hit me once, probably only attacked about four times, and I only hit to hit
his hands

EDIT: Oh... oh my. That next area. I'm guessing that this is the area people are referring to when they talk about one being absolutely beautiful. It's fucking gorgeous.

Naw, he's pretty easy. You just need to
take out the ring on his right arm first, it's the harder of the two hands to get to IMHO and trying to get that one later in the fight makes the fight hell

Stevey

Just got to L
othric
C
astle

Am I near the end?
Made a Heavy Claymore+10,
40 strength, slicing through most enemies

Just walk on over

invisible bridge

Walk to it ...Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade style.

With the platform raised up to anor lando, go down the stairs, and step over the bridge into nothingness, it seems like you'll fall but they are actually invisible platforms, go straight until you're near the bonfire and then turn at a 90 degree angle to drop off at it

ha, thanks all.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I heard a rumor that you could summon (Mid-late game spoiler)
Orbeck of Vinheim for Aldrich.
Anyone figured out how?

Sephzilla

So in A
nor Londo
you can summon
Solaire
. But it appears to be a one time summon because I wasn't able to summon him a second time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom