• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Alright, so a number of pages back I whinged about the un-viability of taking random drops and beating the game with them. Basically that everybody min/max's and just picks what is the best weapon based on numbers and that's mainly because you can't grab the Broken Straight Sword and win the game with it with the same general difficulty as most other weapons. This ignores of course that as the game goes on you should be finding better weapons but still. Enough of that shit.

So I said:

And was met with the response:

Which led me to investigate if a Corvian Greatknife run was viable. After a small amount of number-crunching and brainstorming, I decided to give it a go. So here's the first part of my chronicles of trying to beat the game with the Corvian Greatknife.

First of all, I needed to figure out and plan the most effective way to do the run. So first, the weapon itself. I'll talk about what I figured out before playing with it and go on to how it was in practice once I actually get to having it.

The Corvian Greatknife is the 2nd strongest knife, 1st if you discount the Tailbone Short Sword which upgrades to +5 with Twinkling Titanite. It is basically a short sword and has the range of one, maybe longer than almost any other dagger (even the Harpe) but attacks with the moveset and speed of daggers like the Rotten Ghru Dagger or any that have a Stab as their 1st R2. That is to say that it's R1 attacks come out FAST and have very good range for such a fast weapon. It does, however, have miserable scaling. At +10 it has D scaling in Strength and Dex with 184 base damage. So infusing it is probably a better idea. However, the only two infusions that give it any sort of decent scaling in Int or Faith is Lightning and Crystal at C for their respective stats. So...not really good at all. That also drops it's Str/Dex scaling to E and the base damage at +10 to 73 with 100 base infused damage. So it more than likely looks like infusing it with something that removes all scaling is the best bet as no build gives you scaling that will make a big difference. And, after examining every infusion and seeing which at +10 seems to do the most damage, it turns out to be Raw. At +10, the Raw Corvian Greatknife deals 230 base damage. Which sounds...low. BUT. It is the highest of all the daggers by a fairly large margin (other than the aformentioned Tailbone) while still keeping their quick moveset. Now, since Raw is like...the first Gem you get it's super easy to set up your Corvian Greatknife for the rest of the game.

Onto the character.

In order to get the knife as fast as possible I went Assassin. This starts me with the Estoc which lets me beat the game without switching weapons if I wanted to and Spook which lets me skip a ton of shit. To use the Corvian Greatknife I need 12 and 16 for Strength and Dex respectively. Assass starts at 10 and 14 so...easypeasy. Now, since we're going Raw we don't need any more than that which means I can put my stats into other areas. I am of two minds of this:

1. Dump everything into Vigor/Vit/Endurance. This gives a lot of survivability since fights will be taking longer due to your smaller damage. Vig and End are self-explanatory, Vit might need a bit more. I specifically am looking into raising it a bunch so that I can keep my % under 30 for quick rolls while still equipping at least decent armor and not a waistcloth. The idea is to not get hit but be able to survive if I do. This also means I can equip the Flynn's Ring for some damage boost, which isn't significant because the Ring does at max 15% more damage at it's best. This is not exactly great damage but if my dagger attacks 4 or 5 times in a row than something like 10% more damage can really add up over time. From there I would use item buffs like Resins to boost my damage, or maybe even use Great Magic or Carthus Flame Arc for a bit of a boost.

2. Dump my stats into Int/Faith up to 30 each then the rest into Vig/End. Worry less about quick rolls and Flynn's Ring and instead get my stats up so I can use Crystal Magic Weapon, Lightning Blade and shit like that to boost my damage and exploit weaknesses. This will give me much better damage output, reusable for mobs and getting to bosses. I...do not like the stat investment though. It may be a good build but also it might be hard to reach that point without dumping into Vig/End. This is the second choice if my first does not seem to be as effective and my damage output starts dropping at some bosses.

So that's the basic set up for the build. Nothing fancy, keep it simple.

And here's how it went!

Let's skip to the good stuff; you only need to kill Gundyr and Vordt to get to the Greatknife. Get to Undead Settlement, run through to the Church with the elevator, go down and avoid the asshole and come to the R
oad of Sacrifices
. There is a simple loop to kill 3 Corvians and rest back at the bonfire but I didn't even need to because I got my Knife on the 2nd Corvian.

Infuse with Raw and level it a tad and we're all set.

Now, here's what I learned about the Greatknife when I started to use it.

It deals damage FAST and that damage adds up very quickly. It also comes out very quick so I can normally get off an attack before an enemy hits me which means for enemies with low poise I can prevent them from ever attacking. It does REALLY well against dogs because it comes out so quickly and does not knock back so you can step to the side of it's attack and hit it twice to kill it before it can hop away. That was pretty impressive. It doesn't do a ton of poise damage but I did find out some fun things about it such as rapidly attacking a blocking enemy drains it's stamina QUICK. I managed to stagger Lothric Knights just by hitting their shield...4 times? I think. Which you can viably do because your attacks are so quick and have little rebound penalty. Enemies with big wind-ups you can almost always stagger by hitting them enough times before the attack comes out. The stake dudes in C
rucifixion Woods
can be staggered out of their charge attack hitting them 4 times (which is also enough to kill them so...). Now the big problems come from enemies with high poise that do not stagger easily. Those fuckers you normally want to punish their whiffs with one or two attacks then back off. You can do that with the Greatknife but it takes much longer and makes the fight not a ton of fun. So most of the time it's about baiting out attacks and hitting before dodging around and hitting more. It's much harder than normal enemies. I'm still working on how best to deal with them but it seems to be by being riskier and getting in as many hits as you can before dodging.

The dagger absolutely DESTROYS NPCs and phantoms. I fought B
utcher Knife Girl
, Y
ellowfinger
and the two dudes in front of C
athedral of the Deep
. I dismantled them all HANDILY. The attacks come out so fast they get bounced around, if they roll anywhere but backwards they roll right into my stream of attacks and they can barely get attacks off. For every swing I avoid I can punish with something stupid like 8 to 10 hits.

Now, I'll skip past any kinda boring stuff in the levels and maybe I'll post interesting things I found out. Most of the info and interest comes from how it does in boss fights. So let's get to the boss fights.

First, CRABS.

This has no relevance, I just like crabs.

First boss up:
Curse-rotted
G
reatwood

Surprisingly difficult, at least much more than my other 2 playthroughs (by which I mean I died twice). This comes from low stats due to focusing on getting to my Greatknife. Since it is a gimmick fight and my actual output doesn't matter much, this plays out much like a normal fight. I did notice something fun though. Thanks to being able to come out with attacks so quickly, I could pop his bubbles on his limbs really quick and on my 2nd attempt popped his left arm and leg and crotch before he even crushed the ground which was like...almost half his life. That made me laugh pretty hard.

So. Curse-rotted Greatwood down.

Second boss up: C
rystal
S
Holy shit. I might have set a speedrun record on this. First try, I put Magic Weapon on before entering and start running to reach him before he casts anything. Well. He casts homing mass as I start LAYING into him and doing stupid damage to him. The homing mass hits me once, I start attacking again, he uses the raining attack which I tank through and keep on hitting and finally FINALLY he teleports away after being brought down to 40% of his life! He comes up with clones and I rush the real one and smash it to the ground, tank a soul spear and kill him before he teleports away.

All in all it took me maybe...45 seconds. I was kinda shocked.

Crystal Sage down

I saved after so I will continue on once I have some time.

First impressions, at least early game, is that against bosses or enemies with big wind-ups/whiffs or longer lulls between attacks I will completely eviscerate them. The difficulty will be in high poise enemies and bosses with shorter windows to attack, making my battles with them longer due to my low damage per hit.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of the Little Red Corvian! Baby, she's much too fast.

This is an interesting development. I think, because the knife is quick, in a game where speed in attack will give you a great advantage, it makes it worthwhile.

I might also recommend going for a Hollow/Luck build with the knife. If it has evenly distributed scaling between strength and dex, then Hollow has the chance to have a higher attack value than any other. Not to mention the scaling with Luck. Buff it with Carthus Rouge and you might have a secretly OP dagger.

Manu

I think I might have screwed myself out of coop by overleveling, so now I'll have to farm enemies for covenant items.

Well, shit.

Hyunkel6

What is up w/ invaders running away and playing hide and seek? Takes forever for the fight to end, and it takes the fun out of it. Enemies should be hostile towards both the invader and the invaded.

DarkKyo

I'm having a lot of trouble beating the
Pontiff in the Boreal Valley
and I'm level 55, should I be able to do it by now?

Toxi

Banned
If Artorias were in Dark Souls 3, he'd probably be three times faster and chain his running stab into a leaping attack into three overhead swings into an AOE blast that releases homing magic missiles out his ass.

Git gud?

Champion G - Top 3 Souls boss? I love that guy

Well he is up there with Flamelurker, Fume, Sir Alonne and Artorias when it comes to ferocity. I guess closest to Flamelurker as they both just never let you go. RELENTLESS.

I loved him. He massacred me so many times before I finally beat him. Felt so damn good when I downed him after 2 hours of trying.

Namikaze1

So holy shit!

So I've been taking my sweet ass time progressing further into the game. Had the game since launch and am currently at 50+ hours and after calling it a day earlier, reached soul level 100. I would say more than 60% of those 50+ hours have been farming the Dark Wraith in High Wall that gives you the Red Eye Orb the first time you beat it for that one NPC's quest (can't remember the dude's name. All I recall is that he's part of the Rosaria covenant). I definitely have gotten way over 1 million souls farming that one spot (mostly did it for pale tongues. Got 25 so far from farming). Anyway, I managed to get to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley yesterday after completing both the Catatombs and Smouldering Lake. Wasn't planning on actually playing today since I wanted to rest but I still ended up playing. Got to Pontiff Sulyvahn and beat that fucker in one go. It was a very tough fight. Ran out of flasks and was nearly one hit away from dying. Still couldn't believe that I somehow managed to roll through that last attack and land the finishing blow. But this is not why I was freaking the fuck out. No. It was the area after this. Holy shit! The moment I began to go up the roof and got nearly thrown off due to a greatarrow and seeing those assholes again, followed by pulling the lever and watching the tower before you rotate down, and ending with lighting up the bonfire up top and seeing the words "Anor Londo" show up on the screen will forever be one of my favorite moments in gaming. I can't fucking wait to explore the area once I'm done with Irithyll Dungeon. I wanna complete everything else before going there.

He is very beatable at your level. Take time to learn the attacks and know when it's OK to go in for a hit.

He is parryable, so play with that.

Toxi

Banned
Use a weapon that attacks quickly and doesn't consume lots of stamina. Strafe to his left and be ready to I-frame.

Or parry.

So holy shit!

So I've been taking my sweet ass time progressing further into the game. Had the game since launch and am currently at 50+ hours and after calling it a day earlier, reached soul level 100. I would say more than 60% of those 50+ hours have been farming the Dark Wraith in High Wall that gives you the Red Eye Orb the first time you beat it for that one NPC's quest (can't remember the dude's name. All I recall is that he's part of the Rosaria covenant). I definitely have gotten way over 1 million souls farming that one spot (mostly did it for pale tongues. Got 25 so far from farming). Anyway, I managed to get to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley yesterday after completing both the Catatombs and Smouldering Lake. Wasn't planning on actually playing today since I wanted to rest but I still ended up playing. Got to Pontiff Sulyvahn and beat that fucker in one go. It was a very tough fight. Ran out of flasks and was nearly one hit away from dying. Still couldn't believe that I somehow managed to roll through that last attack and land the finishing blow. But this is not why I was freaking the fuck out. No. It was the area after this. Holy shit! The moment I began to go up the roof and got nearly thrown off due to a greatarrow and seeing those assholes again, followed by pulling the lever and watching the tower before you rotate down, and ending with lighting up the bonfire up top and seeing the words "Anor Londo" show up on the screen will forever be one of my favorite moments in gaming. I can't fucking wait to explore the area once I'm done with Irithyll Dungeon. I wanna complete everything else before going there.

Haha yes single best moment of the game right there. Pretty magical how they all set it up. It's up there with Maiden Astraea when it comes to being memorable!

Dahbomb

If Artorias were in Dark Souls 3, he'd probably be three times faster and chain his running stab into a leaping attack into three overhead swings into an AOE blast that releases homing magic missiles out his ass.
Not to mention his sword would be on fire because everything in Dark Souls 3 is on fire.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Is summoning busted atm? Was trying to summon ppl earlier by
nameless king
and it failed every time. I know signs disappear if you place em on the mist but these were all around the bell.

Toxi

Banned
Well he is up there with Flamelurker, Fume, Sir Alonne and Artorias when it comes to ferocity. I guess closest to Flamelurker as they both just never let you go. RELENTLESS.

I loved him. He massacred me so many times before I finally beat him. Felt so damn good when I downed him after 2 hours of trying.
Flamelurker is a really great boss and definitely my favorite from Demon's Souls.

He's honestly what bosses like Pontiff should be. He hits hard, he attacks often, but he doesn't have ridiculous tracking and he has large openings in his attacks. You can master the fight with tight I-frames, or you can just get good at knowing how to get out of the way when the AOEs are coming.

Though I don't understand why his jumping attack in the second phase does so little damage.

So holy shit!

Hey Nami, great to hear your having a good time. Tons of cool things await. Although, I will say your penchant for grinding may be your undoing here, being level 100 will make things very easy to the end. I finished at level 85 and arbitrarily stopped myself there near the end since that felt like a good spot.

Regardless, enjoy.

Not to mention his sword would be on fire because everything in Dark Souls 3 is on fire.

Easiest way to nerf turtles (like me) in SP. And it goddamn worked because I had to drop my greatshield for majority of those boss battles.

Imagine all those bosses with this item, though:

untitled6hjoy.png

:'(

KingKong

On that note, its funny how slow and clunky DS1 seems after 3. Enemies are practically moving in slow motion

not to mention how empty and lifeless the environment feels, but this is something you notice with pretty much every game from previous generations (try going back to 90s and mid 2000s fps games fpses for example)

Kalentan

I'm currently in Irithyll Valley... I used a branch and am hiding from 2 players. I'm scared. XD

I think it maybe the first area I need to go offline for.

Croc

Banned
Is summoning busted atm? Was trying to summon ppl earlier by
nameless king
and it failed every time. I know signs disappear if you place em on the mist but these were all around the bell.

this is a total guess but I think it might be cause of the frequency of people trying to summon for him. I thought I was having the same problem but then I noticed it would only work when I was super fast and literally clicked a sign right as it appeared. Otherwise it would fail so I assumed someone had gotten to them first.

Namikaze1

Hey Nami, great to hear your having a good time. Tons of cool things await. Although, I will say your penchant for grinding may be your undoing here, being level 100 will make things very easy to the end. I finished at level 85 and arbitrarily stopped myself there near the end since that felt like a good spot.

Regardless, enjoy.
How else will I get the enemies' armors? :p

But for real, I really don't care if I end up making things easier for me in the end. I'm all about exploring. Once I feel like I had fully explored every nook and cranny in an area, I move on to the next. Pretty much why I just got to that area mentioned above today after such a long time. Would have been done with the game if I didn't feel like taking my time exploring the areas and taking multitudes of screenshots. If I end up being overpowered, so be it. Not like I'll be doing much PvP anyway. Not really into that anyway. (and this is why I'll never be getting the platinum)

Been enjoying the game so far. It's looking like it'll end up being my favorite entry in the Dark Souls series. That moment I wrote about earlier was a really nice surprise. It may end up being the reason why I may pick Dark Souls 3 over Uncharted 4 or any other game this year come GAF's GOTY thread.

Kalentan

My apologies. :p

*is invading Irthyll right now*

Damn you!! ;)

So I just got to...
Anor Londo
and well... what? How does that..? Does the game explain this?

Also the difficulty curve seemed to have just.. shot the fuck up. Like, suddenly enemies can easily do huge chunks of my health with two hits.

On that note, its funny how slow and clunky DS1 seems after 3. Enemies are practically moving in slow motion

not to mention how empty and lifeless the environment feels, but this is something you notice with pretty much every game from previous generations (try going back to 90s and mid 2000s fps games fpses for example)
Haha I actually played ds1 for a little bit. I was in anor londo and able to parry every single knight perfectly. And I am decent at parring in ds3.

Lmao this is so true. I replayed DS1 after my 2nd playthrough of 3 and it was tough going back. 3 is just way more fluid.

I actually hate invading Irthyll now. I only end up invading the world of a guy that keeps beating me in a 1 v 1 duel every time instead of this ridiculous mess of a world where everything is going wrong.

How else will I get the enemies' armors? :p

But for real, I really don't care if I end up making things easier for me in the end. I'm all about exploring. Once I feel like I had fully explored every nook and cranny in an area, I move on to the next. Pretty much why I just got to that area mentioned above today after such a long time. Would have been done with the game if I didn't feel like taking my time exploring the areas and taking multitudes of screenshots. If I end up being overpowered, so be it. Not like I'll be doing much PvP anyway. Not really into that anyway. (and this is why I'll never be getting the platinum)

Been enjoying the game so far. It's looking like it'll end up being my favorite entry in the Dark Souls series. That moment I wrote about earlier was a really nice surprise. It may end up being the reason why I may pick Dark Souls 3 over Uncharted 4 or any other game this year come GAF's GOTY thread.

You can 1000/1000 this game totally offline. Like all other Souls games :)

I haven't found a set I like better than Fallen Knight.

Which I guess works well because it puts me at 69% equip load at my starting 8 vigor.

Manu

I didn't realize you lose your souls when you die as an invading Mound Maker.

I just lost EIGHT MILLION SOULS. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom