• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm six (6) V
ertebra Shackles
away from getting to
Mound-Makers
level 2. Just six away until I can stop farming the catacombs...

... and move on to farming S
ilver Knights
in
Anor Londo

*shivers*

Just 2 more rings to go..but one is behind NK.

That could be a pain in the ass with my pyro build who dies on 2 hits or so lol.

Ah, I've seen his NPC summon sign. Makes sense. Guess he's some other undead on the same journey and didn't make it or something.

He's one of the three Black Hand, an elite assasin's squad serving generations of Lothric kings. You fight one of them inside the Archives, the one who has the 2 dual wielding katanas, and the third one is unknown, hopefully we'll know more in the DLC

Skii

I'm at L
othric Castle
now. Supposed to be end game but it feels pretty fleshed out as an area.

I've just done
Dragon Barracks which I thought was going to be an absolute piece of shit considering how ruthless the dragons were as well as the enemy placements. Fortunately managed to forge a good run together after 5 deaths where I get into that room and kill that dark infected dragon (I still don't know what that is but I sure hope the ending explains that somehow). Did the same for the other dragon. I noticed a bunch of these weird sea horse dragon things floating in the sky.

Anyway, onto the boss. I think I messed up. I brought the NPC summon from Carim along as I wanted to progress his story and assumed that the game might force that. I'm a bit annoyed at the lack of character interaction in DS3 (maybe because I fucked up everyone's story) but I just wanted some more dialogue so I took him with me. Then I see a bunch of messages implying this boss is going to be tough. I already massively regret taking the NPC but I carry on. Me and him absolutely destroy the Dragonslayer's armour (3rd time we've faced him now lmao). I'm really annoyed it was over that quick. Was it a memorable fight for everyone else or is he a push over? He doesn't seem that hard even though I had help. I could see him being fairly manageable without help.

Either way, I know there's a boss fight underneath Lothric where you take the elevator down. I might do that next or I might progress down the Dragonslayer's path.

One good thing that came out of that was that I could buy the Carim set. I'm surprised that facing the dragonslayer's armour didn't trigger the ability to purchase it at the shop. I saw someone wearing one so I assume you can buy it at some point or maybe I missed it as an item in the area. Oh well.

This is probably the first time where I don't actively hate an area in a Dark Souls game. I really dislike
Irithyll Dungeon
but it's not as bad as 5-1/5-2 in Demon's and Blighttown/Lost Izalith in DS

Syder

Any decent lore videos out there yet? Vaati is fairly slow uploader and other guys I follow are still doing their playthroughs.

Blinck

So, does anyone on PS4 experience a bit of slowdown in
Lothric Castle, specifically in Dragon Barracks?
The game seems to go into a slow-mo of frame drops from time to time... really weird.
Most of the game has been flawless in regards to the frame-rate but this area seems to make the PS4 sweat a bit, I think the fan is even louder here. Anyone else experiences this?

So, does anyone on PS4 experience a bit of slowdown in Lothric Castle, specifically in Dragon Barracks?
The game seems to go into a slow-mo of frame drops from time to time... really weird.
Most of the game has been flawless in regards to the frame-rate but this area seems to make the PS4 sweat a bit, I think the fan is even louder here. Anyone else experiences this?
Yes. First area I've really had any issues in

let us not forget us guardians of the fluffy tails

No Priscilla?

Fail.

2ec.png

Meccs

Do you guys lock on in PvP? I can never aim my swings with all that lag and phantom range. A lot of streamers don't lock on though.

Do you guys lock on in PvP? I can never aim my swings with all that lag and phantom range. A lot of streamers don't lock on though.

There's an option to lock on and still able to aim your swings manually. Not as effective as manual aim, but stil a good option.

IMO with the more fast movement, no lock on is too hard, it was way easier to keep track of enemies on DS2 with manual camera movement, but I'm playing pyro and no lock to manually aim the fireballs is quite hard, when you have to run back to gain distance, move the camera and change spells at the same time. The best is a combination of both.

I got to level 125 should i stop here?

You wanna do PvP? Definetly, you are a bit too high, meta is around 120.

locking on in pvp isn't all too useful imho, if you can learn to do manual it's better. the issue is that, especially with ranged, you can't control the location of your attack so it's super easy to dodge.

Tarkus

locking on in pvp isn't all too useful imho, if you can learn to do manual it's better. the issue is that, especially with ranged, you can't control the location of your attack so it's super easy to dodge.
Ehhhh this has a lot to do with the type of weapon. Lock on seems to be better in most cases, whereas in DS2, you could build a whole strategy around not locking on.

TitusTroy

is it possible to get all the gestures in 1 playthrough (not including NG+)?...seems like the Sirris quest where you get the Darkmoon gesture and the Proper Bow gesture you get after summoning Yellowfinger Heysel conflict with each other

Robot Pants

Just 2 more rings to go..but one is behind NK.

That could be a pain in the ass with my pyro build who dies on 2 hits or so lol.

He's one of the three Black Hand, an elite assasin's squad serving generations of Lothric kings. You fight one of them inside the Archives, the one who has the 2 dual wielding katanas, and the third one is unknown, hopefully we'll know more in the DLC
No sir. Pyro is easy. Chaos bed vestiges, great chaos fireball, and black fire orb.

MilkBeard

So, does anyone on PS4 experience a bit of slowdown in
Lothric Castle, specifically in Dragon Barracks?

This area, especially right before the boss seems to be one of the worst spots in the game.

Actually, the absolute worst spot in the game is right in front of
The Curse Rotted Greatwood
bossroom. Framerate seems to chug hard right in the room with the blue flowers. It's really unusual because there doesn't seem to be anything that would cause it specifically in that area over others.

is it possible to get all the gestures in 1 playthrough (not including NG+)?...seems like the Sirris quest where you get the Darkmoon gesture and the Proper Bow gesture you get after summoning Yellowfinger Heysel conflict with each other

If anything you can get the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture first then summon Yellowfinger Heysel to get the Proper bow gesture. I would believe that is possible.

ElFly

Steam is being an asshole and either it freezes and brings down dark souls 3, or ds3 stays on an eternal loading cycle.

gg.

Sarcasm

Why does it seem like I am the only person to have trouble on trash mobs? Where as I do fine on bosses. I can deal with the glitches (like when I went through the catacombs the skeletons I know come back but the game just skips the animation and they teleport due to it).

I am going through the place after highlord (I done the bosses up to here even in SL) and these mobs just wreck me.

Kazooie

Banned
A true top tier Souls boss if you fight him head on solo. One of my faves.
I cheesed him on my NG++ play through with the Dragonslayer Greatshield and Chloranthy Ring+2. The shield is so comically OP it turns NK in to a whimpering scrub. Wouldn't recommend doing that unless you are struggling or just going for the +1 and +2 Rings.

Dereck

I've beaten this game twice and have two times, completely ignored that other place at the
Profaned Captial,
yeah,
the hand monsters were completely new to me.
It was like I was playing some DLC.

Toxic sucks

Styles

Lothric Castle(specifically the Dragon Barracks) is the least optmized level in the entire game. I've played on the PC and PS4 versions and both of them chugged through certain sections of that area.

Newboi

I just want to say, I'm on NG+ and the +10 Heavy Great Axe absolutely recks bosses so far! I have Lothric Castle and still have
ArchDragon Peak
left. I don't really care for PvP, so I just want to make the most powerful character possible. I'm wondering if the Black Knight Greataxe is better, or if I should go with Fume's Ultra Greatsword?

What weapons do you guys feel absolutely reck NG+ onwards?

Kazuhira

What's up with the cristal's sage rapier?
My stats says that i'll gain 100+ points of item discovery but when i equip it's only half of it.
I tried using both hands but it's the same.

Novocaine

I just want to say, I'm on NG+ and the +10 Heavy Great Axe absolutely recks bosses so far! I have Lothric Castle and still have
ArchDragon Peak
left. I don't really care for PvP, so I just want to make the most powerful character possible. I'm wondering if the Black Knight Greataxe is better, or if I should go with Fume's Ultra Greatsword?

I've seen a lot of people running around with the BK Great Axe but I haven't tried it. FUGS doesn't really hold up, you'll get better damage from Yhorm's Machete if you're going a STR route. Even though it's only A scaling, at 99 STR Yhorm's hits a higher AR because it's base damage is so much higher than FUGS.

You could always try Anri's SS with 50 LCK/FTH. That wrecks way more than it should.

Sarcasm

What's up with the cristal's sage rapier?
My stats says that i'll gain 100+ points of item discovery but when i equip it's only half of it.
I tried using both hands but it's the same.

• Increases Item Discovery by 50 (Ehe effect occurs even if the stat requirements are not met so long as the item is equipped in an active slot)
  • Wielding two will provide full item discovery bonus from both of the weapons, granting a total bonus of 100 item discovery.

Do you need it just equipped to get bonus or have to actually fight with it?

Alright, so a number of pages back I whinged about the un-viability of taking random drops and beating the game with them. Basically that everybody min/max's and just picks what is the best weapon based on numbers and that's mainly because you can't grab the Broken Straight Sword and win the game with it with the same general difficulty as most other weapons. This ignores of course that as the game goes on you should be finding better weapons but still. Enough of that shit.

So I said:

I dunno. I just wish I could kill a Corvian, get it's Greatknife and then beat the game with it if I play right.

And was met with the response:

Why can't you?

Which led me to investigate if a Corvian Greatknife run was viable. After a small amount of number-crunching and brainstorming, I decided to give it a go. So here's the first part of my chronicles of trying to beat the game with the Corvian Greatknife.

First of all, I needed to figure out and plan the most effective way to do the run. So first, the weapon itself. I'll talk about what I figured out before playing with it and go on to how it was in practice once I actually get to having it.

The Corvian Greatknife is the 2nd strongest knife, 1st if you discount the Tailbone Short Sword which upgrades to +5 with Twinkling Titanite. It is basically a short sword and has the range of one, maybe longer than almost any other dagger (even the Harpe) but attacks with the moveset and speed of daggers like the Rotten Ghru Dagger or any that have a Stab as their 1st R2. That is to say that it's R1 attacks come out FAST and have very good range for such a fast weapon. It does, however, have miserable scaling. At +10 it has D scaling in Strength and Dex with 184 base damage. So infusing it is probably a better idea. However, the only two infusions that give it any sort of decent scaling in Int or Faith is Lightning and Crystal at C for their respective stats. So...not really good at all. That also drops it's Str/Dex scaling to E and the base damage at +10 to 73 with 100 base infused damage. So it more than likely looks like infusing it with something that removes all scaling is the best bet as no build gives you scaling that will make a big difference. And, after examining every infusion and seeing which at +10 seems to do the most damage, it turns out to be Raw. At +10, the Raw Corvian Greatknife deals 230 base damage. Which sounds...low. BUT. It is the highest of all the daggers by a fairly large margin (other than the aformentioned Tailbone) while still keeping their quick moveset. Now, since Raw is like...the first Gem you get it's super easy to set up your Corvian Greatknife for the rest of the game.

Onto the character.

In order to get the knife as fast as possible I went Assassin. This starts me with the Estoc which lets me beat the game without switching weapons if I wanted to and Spook which lets me skip a ton of shit. To use the Corvian Greatknife I need 12 and 16 for Strength and Dex respectively. Assass starts at 10 and 14 so...easypeasy. Now, since we're going Raw we don't need any more than that which means I can put my stats into other areas. I am of two minds of this:

1. Dump everything into Vigor/Vit/Endurance. This gives a lot of survivability since fights will be taking longer due to your smaller damage. Vig and End are self-explanatory, Vit might need a bit more. I specifically am looking into raising it a bunch so that I can keep my % under 30 for quick rolls while still equipping at least decent armor and not a waistcloth. The idea is to not get hit but be able to survive if I do. This also means I can equip the Flynn's Ring for some damage boost, which isn't significant because the Ring does at max 15% more damage at it's best. This is not exactly great damage but if my dagger attacks 4 or 5 times in a row than something like 10% more damage can really add up over time. From there I would use item buffs like Resins to boost my damage, or maybe even use Great Magic or Carthus Flame Arc for a bit of a boost.

2. Dump my stats into Int/Faith up to 30 each then the rest into Vig/End. Worry less about quick rolls and Flynn's Ring and instead get my stats up so I can use Crystal Magic Weapon, Lightning Blade and shit like that to boost my damage and exploit weaknesses. This will give me much better damage output, reusable for mobs and getting to bosses. I...do not like the stat investment though. It may be a good build but also it might be hard to reach that point without dumping into Vig/End. This is the second choice if my first does not seem to be as effective and my damage output starts dropping at some bosses.

So that's the basic set up for the build. Nothing fancy, keep it simple.

And here's how it went!

Let's skip to the good stuff; you only need to kill Gundyr and Vordt to get to the Greatknife. Get to Undead Settlement, run through to the Church with the elevator, go down and avoid the asshole and come to the R
oad of Sacrifices
. There is a simple loop to kill 3 Corvians and rest back at the bonfire but I didn't even need to because I got my Knife on the 2nd Corvian.

Infuse with Raw and level it a tad and we're all set.

Now, here's what I learned about the Greatknife when I started to use it.

It deals damage FAST and that damage adds up very quickly. It also comes out very quick so I can normally get off an attack before an enemy hits me which means for enemies with low poise I can prevent them from ever attacking. It does REALLY well against dogs because it comes out so quickly and does not knock back so you can step to the side of it's attack and hit it twice to kill it before it can hop away. That was pretty impressive. It doesn't do a ton of poise damage but I did find out some fun things about it such as rapidly attacking a blocking enemy drains it's stamina QUICK. I managed to stagger Lothric Knights just by hitting their shield...4 times? I think. Which you can viably do because your attacks are so quick and have little rebound penalty. Enemies with big wind-ups you can almost always stagger by hitting them enough times before the attack comes out. The stake dudes in C
rucifixion Woods
can be staggered out of their charge attack hitting them 4 times (which is also enough to kill them so...). Now the big problems come from enemies with high poise that do not stagger easily. Those fuckers you normally want to punish their whiffs with one or two attacks then back off. You can do that with the Greatknife but it takes much longer and makes the fight not a ton of fun. So most of the time it's about baiting out attacks and hitting before dodging around and hitting more. It's much harder than normal enemies. I'm still working on how best to deal with them but it seems to be by being riskier and getting in as many hits as you can before dodging.

The dagger absolutely DESTROYS NPCs and phantoms. I fought B
utcher Knife Girl
, Y
ellowfinger
and the two dudes in front of C
athedral of the Deep
. I dismantled them all HANDILY. The attacks come out so fast they get bounced around, if they roll anywhere but backwards they roll right into my stream of attacks and they can barely get attacks off. For every swing I avoid I can punish with something stupid like 8 to 10 hits.

Now, I'll skip past any kinda boring stuff in the levels and maybe I'll post interesting things I found out. Most of the info and interest comes from how it does in boss fights. So let's get to the boss fights.

First, CRABS.

This has no relevance, I just like crabs.

First boss up:
Curse-rotted
G
reatwood

Surprisingly difficult, at least much more than my other 2 playthroughs (by which I mean I died twice). This comes from low stats due to focusing on getting to my Greatknife. Since it is a gimmick fight and my actual output doesn't matter much, this plays out much like a normal fight. I did notice something fun though. Thanks to being able to come out with attacks so quickly, I could pop his bubbles on his limbs really quick and on my 2nd attempt popped his left arm and leg and crotch before he even crushed the ground which was like...almost half his life. That made me laugh pretty hard.

So. Curse-rotted Greatwood down.

Second boss up: C
rystal
S
Holy shit. I might have set a speedrun record on this. First try, I put Magic Weapon on before entering and start running to reach him before he casts anything. Well. He casts homing mass as I start LAYING into him and doing stupid damage to him. The homing mass hits me once, I start attacking again, he uses the raining attack which I tank through and keep on hitting and finally FINALLY he teleports away after being brought down to 40% of his life! He comes up with clones and I rush the real one and smash it to the ground, tank a soul spear and kill him before he teleports away.

All in all it took me maybe...45 seconds. I was kinda shocked.

Crystal Sage down

I saved after so I will continue on once I have some time.

First impressions, at least early game, is that against bosses or enemies with big wind-ups/whiffs or longer lulls between attacks I will completely eviscerate them. The difficulty will be in high poise enemies and bosses with shorter windows to attack, making my battles with them longer due to my low damage per hit.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of the Little Red Corvian! Baby, she's much too fast.

ElFly

Slowing down the animation will make some bosses near unbeatable.

Imagine trying to find an opportunity to heal against PS, NK, SoC, or even Aldritch. Healing windows are already tight enough as it is. Making the healing animation slower will only artificially raise the games difficulty because the bosses and encounters are not designed around it.

At least a small increase in the animation ain't gonna break the PvE game; the actual health recovery needs to be much slower too and completely stop if you are hit.

Gank squads are a different problem and shouldn't be treated at the healing speed level.

ArchDragon Peak

Yhorm's Great Machete

Just finished the game doing all the bosses. Hardest for me was either
Pontiff Sulyvahn
or
Nameless King
, but neither fight felt unfair and just took practice to figure out. Used the Irithyll Straight Sword for most of the game, got it to +5 (max for that weapon I think).

Now my question is, what should I do next? Continue to NG+ with the same character or start over with a different one? Maybe I could try just switching to a different weapon on the character I already have. I've been thinking about trying a magic build but I'm not sure. I've heard you can respec in this game but I'm not sure where to go to do that. Anybody have any advice?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Pontiff Sulyvahn
or
Nameless King
, but neither fight felt unfair and just took practice to figure out. Used the Irithyll Straight Sword for most of the game, got it to +5 (max for that weapon I think).

Now my question is, what should I do next? Continue to NG+ with the same character or start over with a different one? Maybe I could try just switching to a different weapon on the character I already have. I've been thinking about trying a magic build but I'm not sure. I've heard you can respec in this game but I'm not sure where to go to do that. Anybody have any advice?

NG+ is extremely easy. I would just start a new character if you aren't interested in achievements.

Kazuhira

Do you need it just equipped to get bonus or have to actually fight with it?

The bonus goes off if you switch to another weapon but if you hold a different weapon with both hands and the rapier was in your weapon slot,you still get the discovery bonus.
So,i need 2 rapiers? bah,fuck it.

Pontiff Sulyvahn
or
Nameless King

NG+. If you want to try a different build you can respec at
Rosaria's bedchamber in Cathedral of the Deep.(Pale tongue required)

Toxi

Banned
I blame it all on the fucked up Poise system. In general all the heavy stuff seems broken in the game.
Bloodborne and Demon's Souls lacked poise too, but heavy weapons did big damage and staggered everything. I finished my first Demon's Souls playthrough with a Meat Cleaver and it was loads of fun.

Here the damage difference is marginal and it honestly feels like I'm staggering more with my straight sword. Everything in Dark Souls 3 either has no poise or has enough to tank any kind of weapon, so why use a slower weapon at all? Especially when some bosses (Looking at you Pontiff fuckface) are basically walking middle fingers to slow weapons that consume lots of stamina with each swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom