• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised I'm an idiot. Currently at the
Grand Archives
and last night I finally managed to take
Champion Gundyr out in the Unattended Graves
. I was having such a hard time of it and I've just realised what I was missing. I haven't been
burning the undead bones at Firelinks Shrines bonfire, aka I'm an idiot that has been using the basic Estus Flask heal from the very start of the game, even with the increased number of uses from Estus Shards

Note to self learn to read item descriptions. What makes this worse is that I have gained the Platinum for every other Souls game including Bloodborne. Feel like such a n00b lol.

Roussow

I have a question about the Rosaria's Fingers covenant,
So I returned to her to find her dead, and she had a Black Eye Orb on her, just like the Fire Keeper in Dark Souls 1. The only location name dropped in the description is Irithyll, I ran around the entire zone but couldn't find somewhere to use it, where can I use the item and invade the assassin? I can't be bothered wandering any further.

LiK

It's really the one enemy in the game that truly bothers me.

I think everyone mentioned that there are more mimics in the game than real chests. Pretty true cuz I killed so many. Kinda annoying cuz they used to be more special when you only fought them a few times.

knitoe

I finally beat the A
byss
W
atchers
. That was a trial and a half. I hated it while I endured through it (despite recognizing that it was a clever battle), but the relief at the end made it all better. However, now Yoel
is dead for some reason. He only let me level up once with him. Lame

I also got a new mask for my thief.
From this...

...to this.

Not quite as stylish as the Penal Mask from DS2 (which I wore with the Throne Watcher armor), but I do like the stats on it.

I'm currently level 19. What stats are you other thieves investing your points into?

fr023T8.jpg

(Maybe I should just keep pumping levels into her Dexterity.)

Wait. You beat AW at lvl19? I am lvl 42 on my 3rd playthrough and haven't fought him yet.

Aldrich
was a really good fight, not so difficult but enjoyable.
Dancer
was a royal pain in the ass, I just had to summon a friend to beat her. The camera in that bossfight is just bs.

I feel I just want this game to come to a finish, I enjoy Souls games a lot but after 30-35 hours I just want them to end and never play it again. They're like a "nightmare" for me after a certain point, R&C coming out today also doesn't help.

myco666

I have a question about the Rosaria's Fingers covenant,
So I returned to her to find her dead, and she had a Black Eye Orb on her, just like the Fire Keeper in Dark Souls 1. The only location name dropped in the description is Irithyll, I ran around the entire zone but couldn't find somewhere to use it, where can I use the item and invade the assassin? I can't be bothered wandering any further.

The room where Gwynere was in Dark Souls 1.

Lyng

Just beat
Vordt
but now I want to farm the
Lothric Knights

I have a noob problem though, I have no clue how to sidestep. Can anyone explain for me? I am playing on pc with a 360 controller.

IbukiLordSA

Man I really wish that they would allow Mound-Makers to stay in the world when the player enters a fog gate. 2 hours of invading last night and I only managed to fight 6 or so people. The rest either bolted for the fog gate or already entered the fog gate as soon as I arrived.

You have 2 other people with you why are you running away :(

Styles

Really cool that you can choose to reset (probably not a spoiler, but w/e)
stats AND appearance

I missed that option in Bloodborne.

Man I really wish that they would allow Mound-Makers to stay in the world when the player enters a fog gate. 2 hours of invading last night and I only managed to fight 6 or so people. The rest either bolted for the fog gate or already entered the fog gate as soon as I arrived.

You have 2 other people with you why are you running away :(

Don't invade near the boss gate, go to mid level or something.

Had my first duel/invasion today as
Watchdog of Farron
, I was using my Lothric Knight Sword and the other player was using the Uchigatana and kept going into its stance mode trying to bait me - he got punished severely for that. I'm glad my first invasion didn't end up in a disconnect or a coward running away. Straight 1 vs 1.

Whatever happened to the Statute of Limitations on invasions from DS1 and 2?

I very vividly remember Dark Souls 1 having a 30 minute minimum gap between invasions (Both if you killed the invader or died, and after bosses), and Dark Souls 2 having the same thing represented as a status effect under the HP/Stam bars which you could disable at a bonfire.

Annoying as hell being forced to traverse zones with an associated Invasion covenant in an unembered state because if you DARE be embered prepare to be double invaded by
Farron Watchdogs
/
Aldrich Faithful
, with the potential for a Finger or Moundmaker to be No.3.

Whatever happened to the Statute of Limitations on invasions from DS1 and 2?

I very vividly remember Dark Souls 1 having a 30 minute minimum gap between invasions (Both if you killed the invader or died, and after bosses), and Dark Souls 2 having the same thing represented as a status effect under the HP/Stam bars which you could disable at a bonfire.

Annoying as hell being forced to traverse zones with an associated Invasion covenant in an unembered state because if you DARE be embered prepare to be double invaded by
Farron Watchdogs
/
Aldrich Faithful
, with the potential for a Finger or Moundmaker to be No.3.

Just summon people, wear way of the blue and feed the chaos.

Question: Can you farm all of the covenant items via PvE?

Yes, but don't do it, is a slog. Just join us in the online fun.

Wait. You beat AW at lvl19? I am lvl 42 on my 3rd playthrough and haven't fought him yet.
I'm not crazy enough to attempt a SL1 run, at least! I played through Bloodborne at level 20 as well. It was a lot of fun. Plus, I suck at deciding what stats to focus on.

myco666

Question: Can you farm all of the covenant items via PvE?

Yes. Droprates are ridiculous though and it takes hours to get all items for even one covenant. It took me way over 6 hours to get all Darkmoon items via farming for example. So if you have access to the online portion of the game I would highly recommend doing it that way.

Swhalen

I finally beat the A
byss
W
atchers
. That was a trial and a half. I hated it while I endured through it (despite recognizing that it was a clever battle), but the relief at the end made it all better. However, now Yoel
is dead for some reason. He only let me level up once with him. Lame

I also got a new mask for my thief.
From this...

...to this.

Not quite as stylish as the Penal Mask from DS2 (which I wore with the Throne Watcher armor), but I do like the stats on it.

I'm currently level 19. What stats are you other thieves investing your points into?

fr023T8.jpg

(Maybe I should just keep pumping levels into her Dexterity.)
Theif here. In my opinion you could use a bit more vigor and endurance.

Sawneeks

Banned
Well, beat the game. Kinda sad at how easy the last few boss fights were, especially the final boss, but that might be because this is my 4th Soulsborne game. Still, it was disappointing. :(

Going to start looking up all the lore theories and maybe run through the game again though. It was fun but it's definitely not my favorite by From Soft.

Sanctuary

So what was the big fuss about ultra greatswords in the import OT? Especially Fumes. I know that weapon got nerfed before the world release, but it still has relatively high AR. Anyway, a lot of people kept talking about how great ultras were in not just PvP, but PvE.

Say what? No matter what weapon, of the larger and much slower variety I try out, they all just fail misterably hard compared to literally any straight sword, or even a rapier or estoc. They take up 3x - 5x as much stamina per swing, and barely do more damage per hit than the smaller, faster weapons. The only thing they have going for them is hyper armor and up to 50% more range. For PvE though, they're completely worthless.

Raw Astora's is flat out the new Drakesword or "real" Claymore of this game, and the Dark Sword is completely amazing after around level 60 or so. FROM really needs to rebalance this shit too, because for as many weapons and weapon skills there are, very few are actually comparably good. UGS might be okay in PvP, but an estoc or even longsword user can run circles around them.

Hyper armored golf club swings only do that much against inexperienced players, and they don't do jack shit in PvE aside from guaranteeing (when the hyper armor actually works, since some enemies still plow through it...) you get a hit off, while also taking damage.

Too bad poise does nothing in this game.

So what was the big fuss about ultra greatswords in the import OT? Especially Fumes. I know that weapon got nerfed before the world release, but it still has relatively high AR. Anyway, a lot of people kept talking about how great ultras were in not just PvP, but PvE.

Say what? No matter what weapon, of the larger and much slower variety I try out, they all just fail misterably hard compared to literally any straight sword, or even a rapier or estoc. They take up 3x - 5x as much stamina per swing, and barely do more damage per hit than the smaller, faster weapons. The only thing they have going for them is hyper armor and up to 50% more range. For PvE though, they're completely worthless.

Raw Astora's is flat out the new Drakesword or "real" Claymore of this game, and the Dark Sword is completely amazing after around level 60 or so. FROM really needs to rebalance this shit too, because for as many weapons and weapon skills there are, very few are actually comparably good. UGS might be okay in PvP, but an estoc or even longsword user can run circles around them.

Hyper armored golf club swings only do that much against inexperienced players.

try Lorians Greatsword
you wont regret it

Maybe it's just me, but I feel the same way about the Uchigatana (even though I like using it). Though I've had less luck with it in PvP than PvE.

Zocano

Wat.

Wat.

What damn game are you playing where the straight swords do relatively similar damage per swing to an UGS.

First playthrough I did with the game was all-in UGS STR and it was and still is the easiest of my playthroughs I've had with the game. Doing 600-700 damage a swing to most bosses is crazy. You bring up the stamina and swing rate as if that's somehow a thing you expect from UGSs. In PvE they are entirely a attack once and only once playstyle. And I'll also mention that that first playthrough was practically shield-less past the first few hours. Once I get an UGS I just roll 2hand all the time every time.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel the same way about the Uchigatana (even though I like using it). Though I've had less luck with it in PvP than PvE.

Uchi is good and it has the bleed to boot.

UGS is about that stagger and hyperarmor. The FUGS could stagger you in one hit and kill you with the next one.

Also it's charged R2 2-handed knocks down and destroys everything in his path. Same with the stance attack.

Have yet to try other UGS, but the FUGS owned before nerf. I also would say that is was just people not knowing how to deal with the weapon. It was slow enough to be punished with parries or quick attacks.

Edit: Also, yeah you don't use UGS 1-handed.

Sanctuary

I tried really hard to enjoy the katanas. I can't actually say they are "bad", because I like the various katana movesets, but other than having slightly better reach than a straight sword (if barely), they seem to primarily be better for PvP than PvE due to the bleed damage. I haven't actually seen bleed to much of anything in PvE. Either the enemy just dies from normal swings, or it's immune.

Wat.

Wat.

What damn game are you playing where the straight swords do relatively similar damage per swing to an UGS.

First playthrough I did with the game was all-in UGS STR and it was and still is the easiest of my playthroughs I've had with the game. Doing 600-700 damage a swing to most bosses is crazy. You bring up the stamina and swing rate as if that's somehow a thing you expect from UGSs. In PvE they are entirely a attack once and only once playstyle. And I'll also mention that that first playthrough was practically shield-less past the first few hours. Once I get an UGS I just roll 2hand all the time every time.

I love it when people make posts like this, yet forget that they weren't doing 600 - 700 for the majority of the game. You need not only very high stats, but essentially fully upgraded weapons to see that kind of damage per swing. You can do that much damage with a straight sword in much less time, and generally it's more guaranteed to hit and stagger before you are at any risk of being hit, despite the shorter range.

Do you even Dark Sword bro? Because that's essentially a short UGS damage wise.

Rocketz

What's so bad about P
ontiff
. He doesn't seem so bad. Just got to learn his swings and it's not too bad.

*phase 2 starts*

Oh

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I see why

Zocano

I love it when people make posts like this, yet forget that they weren't doing 600 - 700 for the majority of the game. You need not only very high stats, but essentially fully upgraded weapons to see that kind of damage per swing. You can do that much damage with a straight sword in much less time, and generally it's more guaranteed to hit and stagger before you are at any risk of being hit, despite the shorter range.

You get to that dmg range pretty fast if you actually rock the UGS style correctly. Hitting 40 STR takes almost no time if you devote most your points to it. You don't need much else but stamina/equip load after that.

If you're getting hit before you swing with an UGS you're playing wrong. PvE is a joke with any UGS. Also has always will be.

I may have made a mistake not leveling past 50. I can't seem to beat the T
win
P
rinces
solo.

I've spent the vast majority of the game using the Claymore and I've done fine. This is the first real wall I've hit, but its also pretty late and I'm tired. The stagger from the larger weapons is incredibly useful against a lot of the stronger enemies like the red eyed knights. It takes twice as long to trigger a stagger with the smaller weapons.

knitoe

I'm not crazy enough to attempt a SL1 run, at least! I played through Bloodborne at level 20 as well. It was a lot of fun. Plus, I suck at deciding what stats to focus on.

I was just wondering why you are hoarding the souls collected, or if, you are doing a limited lvl run. The game lets you respec later on so don't need to worry about putting points in the wrong stats.

Sanctuary

You get to that dmg range pretty fast if you actually rock the UGS style correctly. Hitting 40 STR takes almost no time if you devote most your points to it. You don't need much else but stamina/equip load after that.

If you're getting hit before you swing with an UGS you're playing wrong. PvE is a joke with any UGS. Also has always will be.

Except for the fact that they have always been grossly inferior on bosses. Also, if you haven't done it yet (assuming you haven't by your post), try out a Dark Sword...

Zocano

Except for the fact that they have always been grossly inferior on bosses. Also, if you haven't done it yet (assuming you haven't by your post), try out a Dark Sword...

I have. My PS4 STR playthrough used Dark Sword for a good bit of the start. It was strong. What do you want me to say?

I still don't understand what game you're playing where you say UGS are inferior against bosses. Maybe if all you do is try greed swings but again, one swing only ever.

UGS were hilariously powerful in DS2 and it carried over pretty strongly to this game.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I got an item in a difficult place, but I was so busy panicking and trying not to die that I have no idea what I picked up. Maybe you guys can tell me.

The location is
Irithyll Dungeon
and the item in question is located
in the arms of the chained sleeping giant

Can anybody please tell me what it was? It's driving me crazy. I have so much inventory I can't make heads or tails of what's new or not.

Zocano

I got an item in a difficult place, but I was so busy panicking and trying not to die that I have no idea what I picked up. Maybe you guys can tell me.

The location is
Irithyll Dungeon
and the item in question is located
in the arms of the chained sleeping giant

Can anybody please tell me what it was? It's driving me crazy. I have so much inventory I can't make heads or tails of what's new or not.

Soul of a Crestfallen Knight iirc

If not that then the soul size below it (Large Weary Warrior?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom