• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

The three silver knights. Getting one in 3 hours has really soured me on the game. I think I'm just going to quit until they patch this bullshit like they did in the previous games. Seems like they always start out with a ridiculously low drop rate and then fix it later.

It's just not fun anymore.

Yah it's shit and their handling of the Blue covenants is really awful this time around. I mean, it wasn't good in DS2, but at least the blues could still sin-invade rather than being invasion police.

Way of Blue should just be like a default thing you have to have on you if you don't equip any other covenant.

Leezard

The only other place I can think to go is down the elevator in the spear guy's tower, but
there enemy down there that's like a mini version of Vodt (sp?) slaughtered me last time, and when I went back to the tower I thought "Oh, OK, you're supposed to die there so that you come back and the elevator is positioned to take you up. There's probably some item or something down there I'll be able to get later."
But now that's the only place I can think of to go.

Yeah, that's the place.

Soodanim

I just remembered played a bit past C
athedral
boss 1. I got invaded by Aldrich Faithful Ornstein last night, I thought it was an AI at first as it followed an AI invasion, and I got excited.

I also got invaded at the base of the cathedral. Dude ran straight past me in one direction, then straight past me again, then came back and finally saw me (I was out in the open the whole time and didn't move). I waited for the customary bow, but just got shotgun blasted with what I assume is the Avelyn's special move. One shot, one kill. Great fun that was.

Back to PVE, I laughed my head off when I got to the
Silver Knight archers. Especially just after yesterday's LTTP about DS1 that talked about that bit.

Zocano

I just remembered played a bit past C
athedral
boss 1. I got invaded by Aldrich Faithful Ornstein last night, I thought it was an AI at first as it followed an AI invasion, and I got excited.

That reminds me, I miss being Sir Alonne for Dark Souls 2 PVP ):

I loved that weapon and its moveset.

Playing this game has just made me want to replay Dark Souls 2. That DLC so goooooooooood.

How much is everyone using skills? I've barely bothered, maybe it's just the weapons I've been using but they don't seem worth using up meter for. And even if you don't use meter they don't seem to do much more damage than a regular strong attack, and they still cost stamina.

I just leveled up even to use a Scythe I found awhile back and its description mentions that its Skill acts a headshot. I haven't used it yet but that sounds promising.

The controls for them seem weird too, I guess it's setup like this on purpose but if you have two weapons or a weapon and a shield you basically have to choose which one you want to have the strong attack for and which you have the skill for, right?

Khezu

Pontiff
for some reason has given me a lot of trouble, more so then the vast majority of bosses in these games, and I continue to learn absolutely nothing and do the same things over and over to him because I'm stubborn as hell.

Alderach or blob w/e his name is
on the other hand did not seem to scale as well in NG+ dude went down in like two teleports.

How much is everyone using skills?

I use quckstep a lot in water areas, and I use the stomp skill a lot with my Dark Blade, the hyper armor into counter hit heavy attack is really good for some enemies.

Well, nevermind, remembered a trick I heard.

We are born by the Ladder, made Men by the Ladder, undone by the Ladder.

EDIT:

NEVERMIND!

Only works on the first one.
Second one doesn't get stunned by a plunging attack.

ISee

How much is everyone using skills? I've barely bothered, maybe it's just the weapons I've been using but they don't seem worth using up meter for. And even if you don't use meter they don't seem to do much more damage than a regular strong attack, and they still cost stamina.

I just leveled up even to use a Scythe I found awhile back and its description mentions that its Skill acts a headshot. I haven't used it yet but that sounds promising.

The controls for them seem weird too, I guess it's setup like this on purpose but if you have two weapons or a weapon and a shield you basically have to choose which one you want to have the strong attack for and which you have the skill for, right?

So far only in PvP. Never during boss fights and maybe sometimes during normal PvE. But it's way to early to say if they're useful or useless as I'm still on my first play through. Half of the time I just don't think about them.

myco666

The three silver knights. Getting one in 3 hours has really soured me on the game. I think I'm just going to quit until they patch this bullshit like they did in the previous games. Seems like they always start out with a ridiculously low drop rate and then fix it later.

The third one doesn't drop them at all. Or atleast it didn't drop it during my farming. All the farming has soured the game for me too. I wouldn't mind as much if the covenant worked but since all of them are broken for me I had no other option but to farm everything. At least Mound-makers work so I don't need to farm those.

Ogawa-san

Every attack skill I've tried does less or at best as much damage as one R1 attack. I don't get it.

daninthemix

How much endurance should one have? Originally it was meeting the soft cap at 40, but many people say 20 is enough unless you are using heavy weapons like the Ultre Greatsword. And I never really noticed much difference going from 20 to 30 END using the Zweihander. What do you guys think?

If you haven't noticed a difference then don't bother.

Personally I think END is by far the most important stat in the game, by a very great margin. END is more important than HP imo.

SeanTSC

The third one doesn't drop them at all. Or atleast it didn't drop it during my farming. All the farming has soured the game for me too. I wouldn't mind as much if the covenant worked but since all of them are broken for me I had no other option but to farm everything. At least Mound-makers work so I don't need to farm those.

I haven't been killing the third one since it's faster to just kill the first two and reset. Good to know though if I ever am feeling masochist enough to try this bullshit again. I was killing them at a fairly good pace too, since I could usually two-shot the suckers with one of the big bows at +5.

Banzai

Before I go into NG+: What actually carries over? Or rather, what doesn't? For example, do I keep covenant items? Will all turned in covenant rewards be reset? What about Hollowing/Dark Sigils?
edit: nevermind, I should really check the wiki for these kinds of questions.

I also need recommendations for a weapon for a sorcerer build. Something I can infuse to scale with INT, obviously. Should I just go with a moveset I like?

daninthemix

One thing I think's a bit odd is how several of the rings have downsides:

"increase fire damage but decreases defense"

"increase rolling i-frames but decreases defense"

Am guessing that's primarily a PvP balance thing?

How much endurance should one have? Originally it was meeting the soft cap at 40, but many people say 20 is enough unless you are using heavy weapons like the Ultre Greatsword. And I never really noticed much difference going from 20 to 30 END using the Zweihander. What do you guys think?

25 imo. Later bosses you need to dodge like crazy. I don't know why FROM think it's a good idea to make bosses have no "relax" state. They didn't give me time to use Estus

The red eye silver knight "can" drop the item but you can guess how rare that is :lol I think I have only gotten one to drop from him. But IMO its faster to kill those 2 on the stairs and run back to the bonfire.

Before I go into NG+: What actually carries over? Or rather, what doesn't? For example, do I keep covenant items? Will all turned in covenant rewards be reset? What about Hollowing/Dark Sigils?
edit: nevermind, I should really check the wiki for these kinds of questions.

I also need recommendations for a weapon for a sorcerer build. Something I can infuse to scale with INT, obviously. Should I just go with a moveset I like?

Everything but keys, important story related things, etc. Pretty much the same things from previous souls games will transfer over. You do keep covenant items and the covenant rank you have.

Not sure about the Hollowing/Dark Sigil. I kinda want to assume no but I could be wrong.

usp84

You can get your item discovery up to 500+ with covetous ring+2, symbol of avarice and the Crystal Sage soul weapon plus the Luck stat.

But yeah the drop rate is really low and i never get summoned as a blue sentinel

Every attack skill I've tried does less or at best as much damage as one R1 attack. I don't get it.

Some have additional inputs that aren't immediately obvious. I already forget what class I started as but it starts with a pair of scimitar-looking swords. Mercenary I think. Anyway, I thought the exact same thing at first, "The skill barely does the same damage as a regular attack, why would you waste meter on this?" But you have to press strong attack during the skill animation and you get the "real" skill attack where you do a spin and strike with both swords.

I still don't get the point, it takes a decent chunk of meter and still doesn't seem to do much more damage than a regular strong attack, but there may be other weapons that require an additional input to activate their skill. I also found one weapon that has a skill that makes you do a special animation, while you're doing it you get increased poise and damage resistance. I didn't like the weapon enough to mess around with it, but it could be cool if there's more like that.

I was expecting the skills to be a game-changer along the lines of Bloodborne's morphing weapons, they seem like a dud so far though.

Shifty

Praise the second OT.

So, A
nor Londo
was pretty great. Wasn't expecting A
ldrich
to look like that though, not after the intro cinematic.
The dialogue you get from A
ndre
when you hand in the G
iant's Coal
is very interesting, implies some stuff about the timeline relative to Dark Souls 1.

Also From pls fix everybody t-posing in online mode. All my internet gubbins is configured properly, and yet it seems the only thing that helps is disabling windows firewall, which already has the appropriate Dark Souls 3 exceptions in it. Grump.

Auctopus

Praise the second OT.

So, A
nor Londo
was pretty great. Surprised that it was ultimately optional though, unless I've missed something big.
ndre
when you hand in the G
iant's Coal
is very interesting, implies some stuff about the timeline relative to Dark Souls 1.

Uhh, you have missed something huge if you think that area is optional.

Mendrox

Ugh, I'm totally stuck. I "made peace" with the spear guy (hopefully that's vague enough to not require spoilers) but I'm not sure what good that did. I had already gotten by the area he watches over by just running. I thought he would open up a new path or something, but it doesn't seem like he has. The boss near him where you
fight that fire demon with help from the DS1 cameo guy
was cool, but I guess that fight and the small area around it are optional?

The only other place I can think to go is down the elevator in the spear guy's tower, but
there enemy down there that's like a mini version of Vodt (sp?) slaughtered me last time, and when I went back to the tower I thought "Oh, OK, you're supposed to die there so that you come back and the elevator is positioned to take you up. There's probably some item or something down there I'll be able to get later."
But now that's the only place I can think of to go.

The sorcerer guy was interesting,
when he went back to the Shrine and gave me the "Unleash hidden potential" option or whatever it was I almost didn't do it. I went back and forth wondering whether the game would screw me over somehow later for accepting cheap level-ups, but I guess you only get the one. Pretty nice bonus, especially since it gives you a reward for finding him even if you're not using magic.

The sorcerer guy gives you more than one level and there is no reason not to that except for fashion. :)

Question: this is my first Dark Souls game (finished Bloodborne 5 times), loving it, up to the Catacombs, but I'm not engaged in the lore at all.

Been watching ENB's lets plays of the first one: is the one I should be watchint his 'from the dark' series or is there a more lore heavy playthrough?

z3phon

I apologize if this has been asked already but is there any way to invade peoples world with my friend, co-op invading some how.
Also is it possible if my friend is invaded and I put down a white summon sign for him to summon me while he's already been invaded?

There has been several instances when we are playing together and end up being invaded by 2 people. How does that happen, how can I basically do the same thing with my friend to other people?

Scher

Praise the second OT.

So, A
nor Londo
was pretty great. Surprised that it was ultimately optional though, unless I've missed something big.
ndre
when you hand in the G
iant's Coal

As for the place you went to,
It's not optional. You have to kill a boss there in order to progress.

ISee

Question: this is my first Dark Souls game (finished Bloodborne 5 times), loving it, up to the Catacombs, but I'm not engaged in the lore at all.

Been watching ENB's lets plays of the first one: is the one I should be watchint his 'from the dark' series or is there a more lore heavy playthrough?

ENB is on his first playthrough right now, so he doesn't know stuff about the DS3 lore atm... will surely change and generally his souls game playthroughs are nice to watch. One of the very few YTs I watch sometimes.

You could also check out VaatiVidya. He was one of the YT go to guys when it comes to souls lore. But there was some sort of drama (no idea what tbh) and some people dislike him now (never followed the drama and I have no idea what happened...). Still you can watch some of his DS lore stuff to get a quick overview.

I hate to admit it, but this game has more in common with Dark Souls 2 than it does with any recent Miyazaki game.

It's nowhere as compelling to me as DS1, DeS or Bloodborne.

It doesn't make any relevant steps forward like those games did, and even feels like a step back from Bloodborne in places.

If Dark Souls 2 felt like a cover band, Dark Souls 3 feels like a mostly unexciting reunion tour where the band plays the old hits with some new jams now and again.

I apologize if this has been asked already but is there any way to invade peoples world with my friend, co-op invading some how.
Also is it possible if my friend is invaded and I put down a white summon sign for him to summon me while he's already been invaded?

There has been several instances when we are playing together and end up being invaded by 2 people. How does that happen, how can I basically do the same thing with my friend to other people?
I dont believe so regarding the coop invading you mention. It is possible if you friend has been invaded and you put down your white summon sign, for your friend to summon you. My friend and I actually did that and he summon me when he was trying to defend against a invader.

Invaded by 2 people? Did the Phantom have a special color? Unless you used a Dried Finger, there can only be 1 red invader (excluding NPC invaders I think ). However if you are in an area that a covenant protects, you can be invaded by a (multiple?) covenant defender and a invader.

Banzai

Blue Sentinels would get a lot more work if the covenant wasn't explicitely about fending of RED phantoms. Also, who honestly keeps Way of Blue equipped?

Jombie

Not having a good time. I accidentally fucked up Anri's questline; drop rates are so awful that I tried to do some pvp to get covenant items but I'm horrible and keep getting R1 spammed to death. I'm still in NG+ and I'm already sick of this game - never felt that way about a Souls game before. I know I'm in the minority, but the whole thing just feels kind of cheap to me.

Leezard

Blue Sentinels would get a lot more work if the covenant wasn't explicitely about fending of RED phantoms. Also, who honestly keeps Way of Blue equipped?

Also because there's a huge delay. The few times I've had way of blue equipped and gotten invaded I've either already beaten the invader or gotten killed once the blue sentinel message pops up.

I hate to admit it, but this game has more in common with Dark Souls 2 than any recent Miyazaki game.

It doesn't make any relevant steps forward like those games did, and even feels like a step back from Bloodborne in places.

If Dark Souls 2 felt like a cover band, Dark Souls 3 feels like a mostly unexciting reunion tour where the band plays the old hits with some new jams now and again.

I agree so far, and that's a great analogy. I definitely think it feels better designed than 2 so far, but it's still Dark Souls. It's still great, but it's not exciting anymore.

Banzai

Also because there's a huge delay. The few times I've had way of blue equipped and gotten invaded I've either already beaten the invader or gotten killed once the blue sentinel message pops up.

The whole system is fucked.
Just remove Way of Blue entirely, make Blue Sentinels counter any and all kinds of invasions and Blades of the Darkmoon can punish sinners (+1 sin for a red invasion done, for example). There, working covenants.

Roussow

Last Lord of Cinder boss spoilers
I can't believe they fixed Dark Souls 2's Watcher & Defender boss, they took a really interesting idea that wasn't executed properly the first time around, and utilized it to make a bloody phenomenal boss.

Auctopus

I hate to admit it, but this game has more in common with Dark Souls 2 than with any recent Miyazaki game.

I'd rather have an aging version of my favourite band playing their hits rather than a cover band that can't quite play the songs correctly.

Also, nothing can replace the first time you saw that band live so there's no point in trying to chase it.

myco666

The red eye silver knight "can" drop the item but you can guess how rare that is :lol I think I have only gotten one to drop from him. But IMO its faster to kill those 2 on the stairs and run back to the bonfire.

That droprate must be really bad. I stopped farming it after losing 200k Souls twice because of that asshole. Doing farming with base level stats sucks so much.

z3phon

I dont believe so regarding the coop invading you mention. It is possible if you friend has been invaded and you put down your white summon sign, for your friend to summon you. My friend and I actually did that and he summon me when he was trying to defend against a invader.

Invaded by 2 people? Did the Phantom have a special color? Unless you used a Dried Finger, there can only be 1 red invader (excluding NPC invaders I think ). However if you are in an area that a covenant protects, you can be invaded by a (multiple?) covenant defender and a invader.
Thanks. I can't remember the colour of the phantoms that invaded us but I'm definitely sure that they were both players who invaded us.

I'd rather have an aging version of my favourite band playing their hits rather than a cover band that can't quite play the songs correctly.

Also, nothing can replace the first time you saw that band live so there's no point in trying to chase it.

Absolutely, I prefer that too! And I love seeing this band again, to stay within that analogy. It's still great, and noone else can do what they do.

But it's not exciting. And going from Demons to Dark to Bloodborne was really exciting.

So I disagree with your point on it being futile to try and chase that high. I think Miyazaki still has a lot of really exciting and innovative games in him. This just isn't one of them.

Shredderi

I wonder if they can have their next game be technically on the same level as something like Lords of the Fallen. The one good thing in that game is that it actually looks pretty nice and it would be great to see From's godlike art be brought alive like that.

ISee

There is some interesting stuff in there, but generally I agree. I really start to feel a bit bored by some areas. There is your deep water/toxic stuff area. There is your underground dungeon area. There is your archers fire on you while you try to reach them area. A lot of stuff feels like 'been there, done that already'. Even the combat feels a bit like a step back after BB (at least for me).
That said I still enjoy the game, but I'm starting to get used to it (if that makes any kind of sense). I hope they start a new IP based on the combat system instead of doing a DS 4...

edit: I'd still buy a DS 4, but I think starting fresh with a new IP would be better (when it comes to creativity).

So has anyone actually cleared the basement with the two
dragon salamanders in lower Anor Londo yet?

That shit seems actually impossible without a partner.

are you talking about the crocodile dog things?

If so, yes it's actually quite easy. Just shoot one with an arrow and Aggro him back to the ladder

Caim

I apologize if this is old news and if this has been posted recently but I came across a image gallery on the JP DS3 reddit of armor and weapons that didn't make it into the game. Perhaps they are saving it for the DLC?

https://imgur.com/a/olgvn

Anyone else simply just not using a Shield? I'm coming from Bloodborne which is my first Souls game, and absolutely loved it.

I'm enjoying DSIII, but not as much as BB. So, obviously, there were no shields
except for a wooden one)
in BB, so I'd rather just not use one and use the weight instead on better Armor and just getting good at Dodging.

Hope I'm not alone in this. xD

Also, seems whenever I have Way of the Blue equipped, I just never get invaded. lol Figured it has something to do with the game trying to arrange for someone to be summoned at the same time as the invader, but it just doesn't work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom