• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caim

Anyone else simply just not using a Shield? I'm coming from Bloodborne which is my first Souls game, and absolutely loved it.

I'm enjoying DSIII, but not as much as BB. So, obviously, there were no shields
except for a wooden one)[/s[poler\ in BB, so I'd rather just not use one and use the weight instead on better Armor and just getting good at Dodging.

Hope I'm not alone in this. xD
I plan on not using a shield my next playthrough. I've been getting better at dodging, but I definitely relied way too much on blocking attacks instead of just avoiding them altogether.

If Dark Souls 2 felt like a cover band, Dark Souls 3 feels like a mostly unexciting reunion tour where the band plays the old hits with some new jams now and again.

Honestly if we're staying with this analogy I feel like Dark Souls 3 is the band getting back
Together and reframing their old work in a way that's fantastic

Roussow

Will the +5 Strength ring give you more physical damage or is it just, for example, 33 >38 so you can use more weapons?

Both, the plus 5 would effect overall physical damage in the same way 5 points in Strength via leveling would. Although it's going to be most noticeable in weapons with higher strength scaling.

cyba89

Oh no. I guess my Butcher Knife is not so good against
the Lothric pair because I rarely deal damage to the younger one because of the limited reach.

I plan on not using a shield my next playthrough. I've been getting better at dodging, but I definitely relied way too much on blocking attacks instead of just avoiding them altogether.

Damn, I initially messed up that Spoiler tag so bad xD

Anyway, nice. Yeah, I mean the game seems versatile enough that you can get by without a Shield, and against bosses and stuff it seems they'll still do damage to you anyone through it, so I'd rather just dodge. Like I said, I'd rather use the weight of the Shield to just go towards better defensive armor anyway.

Anyone else simply just not using a Shield? I'm coming from Bloodborne which is my first Souls game, and absolutely loved it.

I'm enjoying DSIII, but not as much as BB. So, obviously, there were no shields
except for a wooden one)
in BB, so I'd rather just not use one and use the weight instead on better Armor and just getting good at Dodging.

Hope I'm not alone in this. xD

Also, seems whenever I have Way of the Blue equipped, I just never get invaded. lol Figured it has something to do with the game trying to arrange for someone to be summoned at the same time as the invader, but it just doesn't work right.

Nah I stopped using shields towards the end of my first playthrough. The game basically forced me to GitGud and L2Roll at the
two princes

Yogg

I'm getting completely destroyed by those transformed abyss beasts down the elevator in the left path in L
othric
C
astle
. Fire doesn't seem to help that much, and I just can't figure out where to stand, they seem to hit relentlessly in every direction.

Honestly if we're staying with this analogy I feel like Dark Souls 3 is the band getting back together and reframing their old work in a way that's fantastic

I understand that, and I've felt the same way at certain moments in the game. Some of it is wonderfully clever.

However, I can't deny that, to me, it's just not as exciting/surprising to play as every other Miyazaki game so far has been.

To me, that reframing of what came before is more exciting and clever 'on paper' than it is to play. It doesn't affect the moment-to-moment gameplay or the encounters to a degree that they feel fresh and surprising again.

pa22word

I'm getting completely destroyed by those transformed abyss beasts down the elevator in the left path in L
othric
C
astle
. Fire doesn't seem to help that much, and I just can't figure out where to stand, they seem to hit relentlessly in every direction.

Black firebombs do lots of damage on them and cause a stun animation. Reg firebombs give you the stun but obviously take a lot more to kill them.

Shredderi

I understand that, and I've felt the same way at certain moments in the game. Some of it is wonderfully clever.

However, I can't deny that, to me, it's just not as exciting/surprising to play as every other Miyazaki game so far has been.

To me, that reframing of what came before is more exciting and clever 'on paper' than it is to play. It doesn't affect the moment-to-moment gameplay or the encounters to a degree that they feel fresh and surprising again.

I think Miyazaki would somewhat agree with this sentiment because he himself said that he wants to do other things after DS3 is done.

Cob32

othric
C
astle

Tried bow and arrow?

Melchior

As per tradition of all souls games I finally finished my first playthrough of the game using no armor, shields, parries, or backstabs. I started a normal playthrough right after that and it's funny but I'm enjoying the game so much now. Its been the same for all the souls. I do the armorless run so a lot of the bosses are super hard already since its the first time fighting them but without armor I have to estus constantly after each attack and most can 1 shot me. Then I start the follow up playthrough using everything and I just enjoy the game so much more.

Now whether I would enjoy it the same if I had or hadn't done an armorless 1st playthrough is something I'll never know. But that satisfaction when I got the credits rolling was just so worth it. Also I do know that backstabbing and parrying is the least fun for me with or without the rules but it was funny accidentally backstabbing someone and since I made the rule I would just jump off a ledge or reset the zone with a bonfire.

Anyway now that I'm done blogging I was wondering if anyone here did anything special for their first playthrough. Maybe apply some rules to yourself.

mxgt

Banned
othric
C
astle

Use a bow on the left one and take them one by one. The second one did come in at one point but I managed to rush the first one down before it did.

Auctopus

So I disagree with your point on it being futile to try and chase that high. I think Miyazaki still has a lot of really exciting and innovative games in him. This just isn't one of them.

Oh no, I agree with your point there. Dark Souls 1 is my favourite Souls game so my point was really to enjoy 3 for what it is rather than expecting to be some sort re-invention and deliver that same experience that 1 (or your first Souls game) did.

Very excited to see where he's heading next though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Question; how does physical defense add up?

Which one gives more overall defense:

1. Four armor pieces (one in each equipment slot) adding up to 50 physical defense

or

2. One armor piece (example, a chest piece) that gives you 50 physical defense

or is there no difference at all? Basically, it SHOULD be the same but I'm not positive since I've heard different things from different people. The people saying that 1. is better also believes that equipping yourself with a full set of armor benefits your character much more than equipping one piece of armor with the same amounts of defense rating.

The whole system is fucked.
Just remove Way of Blue entirely, make Blue Sentinels counter any and all kinds of invasions and Blades of the Darkmoon can punish sinners (+1 sin for a red invasion done, for example). There, working covenants.

Yes more free gankers to the ganking parties. Invasions are already difficult enough without throwing blue guys in every of them.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just beat P
ontiff
S
ulyvahn
my first try, I saw the fog gate and only had 4 flasks, barely any souls on me so I figured what is the worst that can happen!

He was a pretty damn fun fight.

Ferr986

Yes more free gankers to the ganking parties. Invasions are already difficult enough without throwing blue guys in every of them.

It's an invasion, getting ganked is part of it, you can't expect 1 vs 1 rules while you can also expect the invader to wait for you to finish mobs and start an honorable duel.

They could make a cap for host, like only getting summon if there's no sunbros or something. I dunno, but something needs to be changed here.

They should put arenas though, for 1 vs 1 duels. Big misstep in Dark 3.

BigDes

Anybody else get an invalid data detected warning on the pc version?

Had the game ctd last night and when I started this afternoon the warning popped up

Says invalid data detected and then something about penalizing me if I don't remove the data which I have no idea how to do

New character time I guess?

I can see both sides. On one hand, absolutely no one uses way of the blue, so it's near impossible to be summoned consistently, making for three useless covenants. On the other, invading and having to head to a bonfire just to see three phantoms and a host chilling to Gank you is fucking bull. We need some kind of overhaul to the system.

What if bonfires were 'corrupted' during an invasion, and did DoT to anyone within range in addition to making it easier for blues to be summoned? Or perhaps, lower all cooperating phantoms' max health when a new one is summoned in? Having three near useless covenants is stupid and needs to be fixed, but so do Gank squads.

Tried creating a decent-looking new character, reminded myself that the character creator is absolute garbage. Not even able to do a proper blonde hair colour, that's embarrassing.

Still, tempted to try the no-shield cleric knight route for a second run. Just not sure whether to start with cleric or knight, though I guess you do get one of the starting miracles from the shrine handmaid.

Oh no, I agree with your point there. Dark Souls 1 is my favourite Souls game so my point was really to enjoy 3 for what it is rather than expecting to be some sort re-invention and deliver that same experience that 1 (or your first Souls game) did.

Very excited to see where he's heading next though.

I guess I expected that 'New Miyazaki Game = Exciting, surprising and a big step forward'.

His track record warranted that expectation!

Ferr986

Hmm, dancer swords, the new spinning and winning? Would love to know but it looks like it's slider night again...

They're actually spin2lose. The damage is ridiculous slow (my lvl 28 character with these swords at +2 was doing a whooping 6 points of damage with the spinshit at invaders).

It's better to just R1 to L1 but still damage is subpar because it has to go through multiple defenses.

gilljoy

So guys I've started out with a knight and I'm so far about 19str and 15dex.

Are there any strength weapons that aren't very slow? I've been trying out the claymore and I like it but I'm looking for something a bit faster.

I'm thinking of going for a Paladin style build and using the weapon buffs but I'd like to have something fast. Is it worth continuing with the knight or re-rolling as another class?

I guess I expected that 'New Miyazaki Game = Exciting, surprising and a big step forward'.

His track record warranted that expectation!
I agree with you as much as I Iove the souls games, i am beginning to feel the "soul fatigue". Even tho I really do like the game, I would def enjoy something new from Miyazaki much more. However if there is another souls game from FROMSOFT, I would still buy the super duper CE.

Brohan

So guys I've started out with a knight and I'm so far about 19str and 15dex.

Are there any strength weapons that aren't very slow? I've been trying out the claymore and I like it but I'm looking for something a bit faster.

I'm thinking of going for a Paladin style build and using the weapon buffs but I'd like to have something fast. Is it worth continuing with the knight or re-rolling as another class?

Knight is a fine starting class for a paladin style character.

I can't help you out with greatswords though.. Am running around with the Claymore myself.

Question; how does physical defense add up?

Which one gives more overall defense:

1. Four armor pieces (one in each equipment slot) adding up to 50 physical defense

or

2. One armor piece (example, a chest piece) that gives you 50 physical defense

or is there no difference at all? Basically, it SHOULD be the same but I'm not positive since I've heard different things from different people. The people saying that 1. is better also believes that equipping yourself with a full set of armor benefits your character much more than equipping one piece of armor with the same amounts of defense rating.

Also, I always wondered... does the part of your character that gets hit actually counts ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also, I always wondered... does the part of your character that gets hit actually counts ?
No, but rather which PART of the weapon hits you. If it's a thrust weapon (spears, etc), the damage peak will be at the far end of the metal compared to slash weapons, in which the weapon peaks with swining directions.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
They're actually spin2lose. The damage is ridiculous slow (my lvl 28 character with these swords at +2 was doing a whooping 6 points of damage with the spinshit at invaders).

It's better to just R1 to L1 but still damage is subpar because it has to go through multiple defenses.

I've seen as much as 200+ per LB, entirely dependent on armour.

It's irrelevant anyway, it definitely is sliding bullshit tonight. Thanks from for turning off animations, so good of you...

How frequently do you guys use the special attacks?
I'm at the very beginning of the game and I'm feeling very uncomfortable to put away my shield to use those attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom