• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

N° 2048

How are you getting killed by them? try to roll into their left or right side so you can backstab them or roll and hit them no more than two times so you can recover to dodge their counter attacks.

I roll and by the time I attack they have already hit me, it's like my animation is too slow. I also feel like the dodge is super slow.

GulAtiCa

I want nothing more then to go home and start invading people. I think I won like about half NY invasions last night. So much fun.

Love using pyro spells on people that fat roll. They can't escape.

Ferr986

I do hope they add an item/covenant or something that increases the HP of enemies depending on how many players you add to the game. Something like a 25% HP boost for each player summoned and bosses get a few extra moves that deal better with multiple players. Everyone wins.

I wouldn't want extra moves behind a coop covenant because I want to experience all of the boss moves when I do it solo.

I don't care about the HP thing, fine by me, but again, I don't know why people care that much. I know I'll always do my first run solo, if others don't , then good for them.

As long as people keep giving money to FROM to make awesome games I'm happy.

zewone

My boss "reviews" if anyone cares:

Gundyr - ok
Vordt - ok
Greatwood - lame
Sage - extremely lame
Abyss - ok
Deacons - extremely lame
Wolnir - extremely lame
Old Demon King - lame
Pontiff - liked it
Yhorm - extremely lame
Aldrich - ok/liked it
Dancer- liked it
Dragonslayer - ok
Oceiros - liked it
Gundyr - ok
Lothric - awesome
Wyvern - extremely lame
Nameless King - liked it
Soul of Cinder - liked it

I know I'm still really early on. I've just beat 2 bosses and I just got to
Pharros
but I've yet to be summoned by a covenant or been invaded at all.

Has this been common for most people?

derFeef

I should try banging my head against dead ends more often. Suddenly I try new things (like routes or tactics or armor...) and then in works. I don't want to look stuff up but sometimes I have to :(

If I ever get to play BB I go in blind and stay blind.

Lightning resist and coop with at least one other player will make him easier. You're 130 on your first playthrough? That's crazy overlevelled btw.

This is what it happens when you grab that silver ring too soon. I'm with 60 hours now (first playthrough) and angry because that son of a....... I need to calm down.

But come on.... I can't throw him out of the brigde, and he did it 5 times in a row. Not to mention, the last time, the first strike he missed, the second I was dead. Come on.... it's just frustrating.

Onemic

I roll and by the time I attack they have already hit me, it's like my animation is too slow. I also feel like the dodge is super slow.

They will sometimes attack more than once. Learning their attack patterns is key. For me, I usually roll and wait to see if they follow it up because more often than not another attack is coming. If they do a heavy attack then I always go in.

I know I'm still really early on. I've just beat 2 bosses and I just got to
Pharros
but I've yet to be summoned by a covenant or been invaded at all.

Has this been common for most people?

Are you embered?

I do hope they add an item/covenant or something that increases the HP of enemies depending on how many players you add to the game. Something like a 25% HP boost for each player summoned and bosses get a few extra moves that deal better with multiple players. Everyone wins.

I thought enemies/bosses already got an HP boost from adding co-op players? Either way, a co-op version of the DS2 Champion covenant would be pretty cool.

Sullichin

the game is a total joke when using summoning help...I tried it out with the Gundyr boss fight and having 2-3 people turns the game into a super easy mode...From Software needs to make changes with summoning to either limit it in some way or make there be some kind of penalty for using it too much...if someone sucks at the game then Dark Souls might not be the game for them...the game is the greatest gaming series of all time and to see it watered down by summoning is annoying

summoning goes against everything the series is about...Miyazaki stated many times that the game is not meant to be hard but forces the player to learn and adapt...how will people learn anything by summoning through every challenge?

I wish the marketing of Dark Souls didn't just talk about the game being difficult because that coupled with elitist attitudes like that, I imagine can turn a lot of people off the game who would otherwise enjoy it.

The ember system is their way of limiting it. Players who coop every boss and die a lot will have to help people or eventually farm for them. They don't seem like a limited resource when you're good at the game but if you're struggling they can be rare enough that you have to think about when to use them.

Some people get satisfaction out of beating a boss themselves, some people don't care and some people are unwilling to bash their heads trying to beat it solo.

Some people like to invade, some people hate getting invaded... some people will play level 1 without upgrading anything and others will overlevel and stomp every boss.

The coop is an element of organic difficulty. I really like that there's tons of ways in-game to make things harder or easier on yourself rather than a choosable difficulty level.

Also the coop is fun as hell. I'm glad people summon because I like to play the bosses over and over.

N° 2048

They will sometimes attack more than once. Learning their attack patterns is key. For me, I usually roll and wait to see if they follow it up because more often than not another attack is coming. If they do a heavy attack then I always go in.

Just got him, honestly I'm playing too much like Bloodborne..I need to slow down.

Vorheez

Dammit, I thought I explored everything there.
Is she alive, or is it just a dead statue thing?
She's dead and has turned into a stone type creature, similar to what happened to the old demon boss in that area after you beat it

Onemic

I thought enemies/bosses already got an HP boost from adding co-op players? Either way, a co-op version of the DS2 Champion covenant would be pretty cool.

Enemies do, but it doesnt seem like bosses do.

Just got him, honestly I'm playing too much like Bloodborne..I need to slow down.

Funny enough, I play it exactly like BB. No shield, all rolls. I think the sped up combat really helped with that, as I still use a shield in DS2.

Ferrio

Banned
The coop is an element of organic difficulty. I really like that there's tons of ways in-game to make things harder or easier on yourself rather than a choosable difficulty level.

That's what I find amusing. There's like a ton of ways to crack open Dark Souls games and make them a cake walk, to just complain about summoning is silly. Might as well denounce anyone that isn't doing a SL1 run with the default weapon.

explodet

I wasn't ready for the S
tray
D
emon
fight.

Its legs crumbling like old cheese
shocked the hell out of me.

Also the coop is fun as hell. I'm glad people summon because I like to play the bosses over and over.
Exactly. I love how modular the difficulty is. I probably could have cheesed some bosses by leveling up more than I did, but it's a testament to the game design that I was able to beat the Abyss Watchers at level 19 (and that people can do SL1 runs), making it feel more like a satisfying action game.

I don't summon for bosses, but I love that I can get the same experience by getting summoned and helping others. (Though I'm worried I might be too low level to get summoned for later areas now.)

KodaRuss

Dang, this game has a lot of bosses I guess. I am only through 3 so far and I am at
Faron Keep
. Maybe I missed one somewhere

My boss "reviews" if anyone cares:

Gundyr - ok
Vordt - ok
Greatwood - lame
Sage - extremely lame
Abyss - ok
Deacons - extremely lame
Wolnir - extremely lame
Old Demon King - lame
Pontiff - liked it
Yhorm - extremely lame
Aldrich - ok/liked it
Dancer- liked it
Dragonslayer - ok
Oceiros - liked it
Gundyr - ok
Lothric - awesome
Wyvern - extremely lame
Nameless King - liked it
Soul of Cinder - liked it

My last boss was
Pontiff
, so until there I rate him and
Abyss
as awesome. The rest are ok-ish or garbage.

Mepsi

Just finished this game and OMG I am in love with it. Felt it was a bit on the short side though, took me 16 hours, but I do have 4 of the side bosses to go back and beat so that should be fun. Loved all of the references to the first game so much.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So I keep seeing people mention a C
rystal
S
boss, but I must have missed it. What area is it in?

Go to the
crucifixion woods (road of sacrifice), and explore the ruins there

Road of Sacrifices

Isnt that a required boss though? I swear you need to get through that boss to even access
Farron Keep

Nope, optional. Hadn't found him either by the time I was fighting
Abyss Watchers

Onemic

rystal
S

Road of Sacrifices

Isnt that a required boss though? I swear you need to get through that boss to even access
Farron Keep

rystal
S

Road of Sacrifice on the left side going to Cathedral of the Deep
(if I remember correctly)

Road of Sacrifices

Farron Keep

Not required to access Farron, don't know if it's required for other things tho.

kagamin

The beauty of this series - and how it's been demonstrated over the years - nothing is impossible. You should see some of the crazy challenge runs out there! :)

Nah nothing is impossible, look at all the crazy Shit Lobos already did in the previous games.

Oh I've seen what the community can do, but never in my time have I seen an SL1 run of any game in the series without weapon upgrades. :p

Oh I've seen what the community can do, but never in my time have I seen an SL1 run of any game in the series without weapon upgrades. :p

Lobos has beaten all the games with naked fists. At SL1. Playing the game without weapon upgrades is some easy weak shit that Lobos could do blindfolded.

MrHoot

I actually found the game way more dark and oppresive than Dark 1 (and of course 2). Not reaching BB levels tho (dunno about Demons cause I never played it).

I agree on a lot of your points too.

I would say Dark 1 > BB > Dark 3 > Dark 2

I'd agree on that. I think Dark souls 3 ambiance works pretty okay for the most part. It's not as oppressive as BB (as it shouldn't be since they have vastly different themes) but it does feel way more on the brink of death and decay (since Dark Souls has always been more about Entropy, death/endings and cycles), with some pretty clever environmental storytelling and design of some creatures.

Onemic

I dont know how that's even remotely possible. I mean unless you want to up your time in a souls game by 20 hours due to it taking you forever to even kill an enemy. I guess its possible if youve already played through the game and are pretty much speed running it.

kagamin

There's so much fanservice in this game. I'm literally wearing my exact 'go to' gear from DS1. It's almost like DS2 never happened. (evil grin)

Which sucks because we're missing a lot of improvements from Dark Souls II, but being able to still drink estus on ladders is nice.

What's the point of those disguises? Just to fuck with invaders, basically?

Last night I invaded a gank squad with four people all disguised as a host. They also liked to hide, use someone as bait and then surround you. I survived 20 minutes or so, and killed three or four (they were summoned back once killed) but didn't manage to win because I didn't know who to attack. It was pretty successful at causing confusion.

What the hell is up with these gank squads? Is this normal for PVP? Multiple times I invade a world with 3 people waiting for me and other invaders.

Very normal. I make them work for their kill though and run all around the map. Every so often you will be able to get a favorable situation and kill one/the host but don't count on it. Just making them chaise me through an area is enough for me. It's what I do whenever a host is doing unfavorable stuff. I'm perfectly fine fighting them one on one but as soon as people start healing or trying to gang up I run for it and start using the cheap things invaders can do.

Anyone got a list of all the mimics?

Trying to get symbol of avarice and pretty sure killed all the mimics...

A protip for trying to get the Symbol of Avarice. You can use the Undead Hunter Charm to farm it off of one mimic. Just toss it at them to make them sleep, check for item, wait till they wake up (they will not attack, just go back to resting state), and toss another. Can only hold 5 Undead Hunter Charms at a time, but if you leave the mimic alive you can go restock. I got mine on my first five that I tried on one so not sure about that last part/what happens to mimic that you took the loot from already (first thing you will loot from them is the item that they drop normally). I also used item discovery stuff to raise drop chance, but not sure if that effects it either.

Also the item appears a few seconds after they go to sleep, not right away, and doesn't sparkle. So you have to get up close to them to check for it.

Cat Party

What is the proper strategy when an invader won't engage you, but instead waits around in an area with lots of enemies, trying to bait you? Just wait them out, or is there some way to gain the upper hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom