• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
Just got to the Pontiff.

This might take a while...
Any advice?

Learn his attack behavior for the first phase(it took me about 6 tries). When he is about to go into the second form, try to get as much damage as you can before the explosion. Hopefully you can do enough damage to him, as what I did next was I used my bow to kill him from a distance.

iddqd

Same. My Pyro chaos orb was working fine until this point, now it doesn't do enough damage versus how quick the mobs are or they swarm. I've been slowly raising int/faith (25/22 currently) while I made a solid foundation in other stats. But now it seems like I need 30/30 or 40/40. I keep dying to a certain frostbite giving knight mob after fighting through hollow peons that are much more difficult than they used to be.

Yeah, that guy just cost me over 20,000 souls.

Weird spike.. maybe I have to track somewhere else and level health a lot more.

(EDIT)
Wanted to get some levels through helping ppl defeat
Dancer
but thats shit because everyone seems to die to her.

Chorazin

Abyss Watchers advice please? On my first attempt I got him into the second phase and only a tiny amount of health left. My subsequent attempt didn't even get him into the second phase (of course I was no longer embered).

Fuck this game's combo stunlocks and unnecessarily long knockdowns.

The second form is actually kinda slow, even though he doesn't look like it. You can walk around him when he comes at you with direct vs sweeping attacks to backstab him.

Fuck the Dragonslayer at the brigde.....

How that can be fair? Dragons spitting fire from every direction. That stupid axe that throws everything out of the brigde.....

ARGH..... I HATE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!

And stop saying GIT GUD, it makes me more angry. I'm soo sick of gridding after level 130.....

Roussow

Backstep and a roll. Side step only as a weapon skill for certain weapons.

Genuine question -- does anyone really use backstep that often? I feel like it takes more thought to let off the stick than it does to instinctively roll away at this point in the series, I would imagine the only benefits would be the unique follow-up attack.

Respect

Can you lightning buff a lightning infused weapon though...

Any elementally infused weapon cannot be buffed. (So no you can't buff a lightning infused weapon with a lightning buff.)

Genuine question -- does anyone really use backstep that often? I feel like it takes more thought to let off the stick than it does to instinctively roll away at this point in the series, I would imagine the only benefits would be the unique follow-up attack.

Can be effective in PvP and PvE...gets you out of range of an attack and you can follow up with an attack out of the back step...you wouldn't use it if you are stuck in a combo, but if you anticipate it can be very effective.

KingKong

Absolutely. But it's still the shortest game in the series (for me). 30 hours in and 90% done. Not rushing of course.
Dark Souls 1 took me 80 hours
Dark Souls 2 ...similar, 85 I think
Bloodborne took me 65 hours

Soo...yeah. It feels packed but it's definitely the shortest ;)

that seems like the case of you getting better, but I'm not sure what you could do in DS1 for 80 hours unless you were just getting lost. Are you including the DLC?

myco666

This appears to be the norm unfortunately. I don't mind the 2v1 much...but the overabundance of 3v1 is a bit frustrating. Add in the host can just run around/sprint/dodge back to where more summons marks are easily and resummon more phantoms even if you manage to whittle it down to 1v1. Yet another overall failure in the invasion department...Demon's still apparently holds the crown in that regard.

I wouldn't mind if it happened every once in a while but getting those multiple times in a row sucks so much. People who invade are generally much nicer.

E92 M3

How that can be fair? Dragons spitting fire from every direction. That stupid axe that throws everything out of the brigde.....

And stop saying GIT GUD, it makes me more angry. I'm soo sick of gridding after level 130.....

Being grossly overleveld isn't gitting gud lol. Those dragons have a lot of tells and are easy to dodge. Also, all of his moves are telegraphed.

Maybe try summoning?

ApharmdX

Banned

Lightning resist and coop with at least one other player will make him easier. You're 130 on your first playthrough? That's crazy overlevelled btw.

Roussow

that seems like the case of you getting better, but I'm not sure what you could do in DS1 for 80 hours unless you were just getting lost. Are you including the DLC?

I would agree with this, my last playthrough of Dark Souls 1 (including my first run-through of the dlc) took me about 16 hours, seeing everything. Bloodborne takes me about 20, once again seeing all the areas. Dark Souls 2 doing everything with dlc probably takes 30 - 40 at this point, there's a lot of game there. I'm at 32 hours on Dark Souls 3, with 2 bosses just needing to be defeated.

AHA-Lambda

My only complaint: This game is really short. It's probably the shortest game in the series. The areas are too small, you can often reach the boss in seconds if you want. But I think it's also very replayable because of this. Oh well, I don't want it to end but the areas seem to get shorter and I'm probably almost near the end :/

How much do I have left after the dancer?

Well I'm at the pontiff now (which is about the half way point-ish from what I can tell?) after 12 hours, and I've not been running straight through areas, so i do kinda agree.

Brohan

Yeah it's mainly for follow up attacks although you can easily dodge a short range attack and counter with a follow up if you know your enemy.

But Yeah the normal roll mostly if you actually need to evade.

Absolutely. But it's still the shortest game in the series (for me). 30 hours in and 90% done. Not rushing of course.

Really, Bloodborne took you 65 hours? My first playthrough was 21 and it def felt like the shortest one. Even thinking about it now, there's only like... 9 non-optional bosses I think? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love BB, but its def the lightest Souls game imo.

Elfstruck

This game is nowhere close to short, but then it's really depend on the player anyway. I'm at 50 hours and still 2 more bosses to go.

Roussow

Really, Bloodborne took you 65 hours? My first playthrough was 21 and it def felt like the shortest one. Even thinking about it now, there's only like... 9 non-optional bosses I think? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love BB, but its def the lightest Souls game imo.

It's pretty indicative of BB's design, everything's really tight, there's less of virtually everything -- but what's there is pretty much all phenomenal. Although while I don't feel the same, some really can't deal with a fairly "forced" playstyle leading to lack of tradition souls variety.

Mandelbo

What're the best dual wield weapons? I'm using the Sellsword Twinblades right now and they're pretty good, but not fantastic at the moment. Only at the Cr
ystal Sage
on this playthrough though.

This game is nowhere close to short, but then it's really depend on the player anyway. I'm at 50 hours and still 2 more bosses to go.
idk if it's entirely because I've gotten better at these games with each successive one, but it only took me 28 hours on my first playthrough to beat all of the bosses, which is much less time than it took me in DS1 and DS2.

jrcbandit

Yeah, that guy just cost me over 20,000 souls.

Weird spike.. maybe I have to track somewhere else and level health a lot more.

(EDIT)
Wanted to get some levels through helping ppl defeat
Dancer
but thats shit because everyone seems to die to her.
Yeah, my vigor is only 23 since I'm having to put points into so many stats. I need to raise that more along with endurance, intelligence, faith, and 2 more in attunement to reach final 24, sigh. I started as a knight so I could wear medium armor and melee with buffed raw or dex based weapon until I got chaos orb (and still mix melee with chaos orb). Worked fine until now.
Lothric castle

Quality build seems so much easier than pyro now at this section of the game.

So I accidentally picked the decline option at the
Fire Keeper when she asks about a world without fire after giving her the Eyes of the Fire Keeper.

Now she's mad at me and
the music's all sad
Did I botch things badly? Seems irreversible...

bargeparty

There's some sort of hitch that's happening when the game does a sync/save to the server that's really really getting on my nerves.

Onemic

Soulsborne games length are extremely subjective due to the difficulty of the game. If you breeze through all the enemies and bosses, while not caring about the lore or secret areas, or questlines, or invasions, then every souls game will be short.

I feel like BB took me around 25 or so hours to beat, but that's also because I avoided invasions and didnt really delve into chalice dungeons that much. With DS3 Im closing in on 40 hours and Ive only beaten two lords of cinder because Im being really deliberate with my actions and taking the game slow.

dealer-

Finally finished the game, got the boring ass ending. Took me 23 hours. It was a great game overall but not quite as fun as earlier entries. Demon's remains my fave as it was all new and exciting back then.

DeS> DS1>BB> DS3> DS2

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I accidentally picked the decline option at the
Fire Keeper when she asks about a world without fire after giving her the Eyes of the Fire Keeper.

Now she's mad at me and
the music's all sad
Did I botch things badly? Seems irreversible...

You closed off one of the possible endings you could get.

KingKong

Dark Souls 3's length is just right to me. I feel like I got the full experience beating all the bosses at around 30 hours (without getting into PVP or being summoned). It's hard to gauge DS1 since that was my first one, but DS2 was a complete slog and I was ready for it to be over 10 hours before I finished it

It seems phantoms give next to no souls, thus cutting a good reason to pvp out. That said, I'm wrecking people with Ricard's rapier and painting guardian sword. Like, they stand no chance wrecking. I only lost one out of 15 fights. Actuially killed someone at the same time as he killed me for a draw.

TitusTroy

the game is a total joke when using summoning help...I tried it out with the Gundyr boss fight and having 2-3 people turns the game into a super easy mode...From Software needs to make changes with summoning to either limit it in some way or make there be some kind of penalty for using it too much...if someone sucks at the game then Dark Souls might not be the game for them...the game is the greatest gaming series of all time and to see it watered down by summoning is annoying

summoning goes against everything the series is about...Miyazaki stated many times that the game is not meant to be hard but forces the player to learn and adapt...how will people learn anything by summoning through every challenge?

ironcreed

Banned

bCNTBAL.gif

Yoloswaggins

Neo Member
I don't understand how people are finishing this game so quickly, I'm 26 hours in and still on the first third of cathedral of the deep, then again I have done a decent amount of pvp.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member

Interesting. Took me 63 hours to beat dk3. Did a bit of grinding, no pvp. Dk1 took longer for me because I leveled up a ton of weapons and armor(armor reinforcement being vacant in dk3)

Onemic

the game is a total joke when using summoning help...I tried it out with the Gundyr boss fight and having 2-3 people turns the game into a super easy mode...From Software needs to make changes with summoning to either limit it in some way or make there be some kind of penalty for using it too much...if someone sucks at the game then Dark Souls might not be the game for them...the game is the greatest gaming series of all time and to see it watered down by summoning is annoying

summoning goes against everything the series is about...Miyazaki stated many times that the game is not meant to be hard but forces the player to learn and adapt...how will people learn anything by summoning through every challenge?

All they really gotta do is give bosses 1 or 2 extra AOE attacks when you have a summoned player and buff their health depending on the amount of players summoned. Right now summoning is the closest thing to an easy mode in the souls series.

Ladekabel

Wanted to link picture. Didn't work, now I'll post something else.

Just beat the Stray Demon and got myself Havel's Ring. Did they nerf it? If I remember correctly in Dark Souls it gave you 50% equip load but now it is something like 15%. Didn't use it in Dark Souls 2 so I don't know if it was lowered there, too.

Ran through the
]flooded forest and the poison area
but will go back to grab those items. And is there a boss fight near me? Near the room where I found the wizard guy, there was a way up to an area which looked like a boss fight but I didn't go that far to find out because I had too many souls on me.

Ferr986

As a person that always does bosses solo first time... who the fucks cares?

Miyazaki put coop in there so it shouldn't be that against what the series is about.

If people just can't beat a boss, then it's better to get some help to proceed, so they end up liking the game and buy the sequel (thus giving more money to FROM to make these awesome games) that just drop it and ignore the series forever,

ironcreed

Banned

Good thing that it is an option. Why do you care how others enjoy the game?

daninthemix

Beat Abyss Watchers on my 4th or 5th try. One thing I noticed is that if you mash R1, they just attack through your attack. But if you hit R1, wait a second, hit R1 again, you can stun them much more often. This makes me think they have a period of stun invulnerability after getting stunned.

E92 M3

Summoning has been making the series easy for quite a while now.

Arjen

So, don't summon? Why would you give a fuck what other people do?

Ferrio

Banned

This is ridiculous. Summoning has been a core part of the game since the very beginning, as well as one of the most innovative features of the series.

Brakke

Banned
Spent some time on Lothric Castle today.
Yo. That dragon bridge is cool as heck. Also the dragons being "controlled" by that black slime was weird and dope. The area really feels like Demon's Souls. I'm surprised at how much this one homages that one; Firelink as Nexus, Storm Ruler, Lothric Castle as Boletaria.

eot

Banned
I'm confused in S
mouldering
L
ake

I got to the bonfire called Old King's Antechamber or something, and it's fucking nothing. I found the illusory wall to the Estus shard, but the corridor next to the bonfire leads nowhere. I can tell there's a collapsing floor or something above the corridor, and I can hear the sounds of something walking nearby, but I'm not sure I'm on the right track. Also went all the way to the ballista and disabled it, but there was nowhere to go from there either.

Zophar

A patch absolutely needs to rebalance and reassess how they're doing covenants. Not one of the "summon to defend" covenants has ever pulled me in so I can even *try* to get a reward for it. A couple of them I've missed out on completely because they only function with low-level players (Mound-Makers and Watchdogs), so there's no way to get the rewards for them without grinding out rare drops for a billion hours. Very aggravating, especially since I want to 100% the trophies on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom