• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How did you access
Cathedral of the deep then?

Oh wait, i'm wrong, I was still thinking
deacons of the deep was an optional boss, but you need that doll to access Irithyll. So yeah that makes Crystal Sage a required boss as well.

Sorry!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Beat this guy solo first attempt last night - probably the most exhilarating fight yet, beating out
Abyss Watchers
for me. Went in expecting to die and just see what the boss was like, learn some of its patterns and somehow made it out alive.

https://youtu.be/Tvm-q63JeFQ

Watching it back there were so many times I was so close to dying.

Haha damn, thought I was unique! Haven't seen anyone else using the same yet, although to be fair 90% of people are using some configuration of the Fallen Knight Set.

Legs are the Pontiff Knight Leggings.

Just wanted to comment on this post and say this was exhilarating to watch, especially knowing it's your first try. Awesome job. Nice parries.

Sanctuary

I have. My PS4 STR playthrough used Dark Sword for a good bit of the start. It was strong. What do you want me to say?

Yet you still don't understand the problem? At 50 STR, a +10 Great Club has 470 AR, while a +10 Dark Sword has 407. The Dark Sword can land two hits within the same time frame, for just under equal stamina cost. Range and hyper armor aren't significant enough to warrant that kind of descrepancy (Dark Sword has the stomp skill anyway). UGS are just too damn slow and give too little damage for the opportunity cost in both PvE and PvP. You might find that slow, precise style "fun", but it's not anywhere near as efficient. It's not limited to the Dark Sword either, but it's one of the best comparisons right now.

The first Dark Souls did larger weapons right, because poise actually mattered. This game is basically Bloodborne as far as armor is concerned.

It's only really considered rude in duels. PvP invasions, anything goes. So feel free to heal as much as you want. Invaders will be too.

He/she did, but only after I healed myself a couple of times (well I had to deal with enemies after all), but reading this thread now I think that maybe the invader thought that I was accepting a duel since I bowed to him/her. Anyway, I think I got the idea now following what everyone is telling me.

GulAtiCa

What the hell is up with these gank squads? Is this normal for PVP? Multiple times I invade a world with 3 people waiting for me and other invaders.

The game makes invasions more frequent for those that co-op. So it's more likely all 2, 3 or 4 people were just playing normally and the game choose to bring you to their world since they had more people. The more co-op, esp using the dried fingers to get a 3rd summon, will make it so a 2nd invader can show up.

So I try to think of it less of gank squads, and more people just trying to do co-op, without the intention of killing invaders.

Portugeezer

That Demon
King##############
boss was so fucking hard, I had to cheese him by running away and chipping away at him with my upgraded bow.

He/she did, but only after I healed myself a couple of times (well I had to deal with enemies after all), but reading this thread now I think that maybe the invader thought that I was accepting a duel since I bowed to him/her. Anyway, I think I got the idea now following what everyone is telling me.

If he didn't leave you alone when dealing with enemies, he's not treating it as a duel, so you would be within your rights to heal

GulAtiCa

Some invaders, like me, are more nice and bow/say hi to our would-be-hosts. I like to give the host some time to prepare, heal/etc. I still then heal and everything and try everything to kill them, since still an invasion. But I like being kinda-nice.

Though, if there is 2+ people there, I tend to just wait by hard enemies. Though, sometimes that is obviously a bad idea as the host then goes summoning more people and then a blue shows up.. lol

That Demon
King##############
boss was so fucking hard, I had to cheese him by running away and chipping away at him with my upgraded bow.
I did the same. Took me a few minutes of playing ring the round the rosy with him, but did get him. lol

Wow! Thanks. Maybe I am going too slow lol I am 25 hours in.
Take your time, there is no rush. It took me about ~35 hours to beat the game my first time. Prob be longer if I didnt play the Japaneses version first (cant read Japaneses and had to rush the last few areas due to RL things).

Also, if you have coop phantoms with you, if you engage the invader one at a time, it's pretty likely they wouldn't hide among enemies. When I invade, I only hide among enemies if the host has summons and they refuse to engage me one at a time.

That's a big one right there. I do the same thing. If they want to abuse their "host advantage" then I'll do my best to be a dickass invader that they have to work for. Of course there are going to be invaders that do that from the get go though, just like there are hosts that hang out with gank squads. Nothing you can really do about either other then your best to waste their time.

Just use one of those medallion items that makes invaders unable to use estus flasks. Then kill em when they try and nothing happens.

Those things last too short of a time and healing is too fast. People can easily just run until it wears out then heal before you can get a hit in.

LiK

Is Faith build as OP as they were in DkS2? I was destroying everyone in NG+ In DkS2 with lightning attacks. Was fun.

Guevara

This may be a weird comparison, but it still kept popping up while I was playing. The game kind of reminds me of
OoT: Master Quest
in the best way possible.
In some ways DkS III feels like a remixed version of the original. Of course this makes sense, since the game takes place in the same world, but everything just feels different enough.

High Wall => Undead Burg
Crucifixion Woods => Darkroot Garden (while I was exploring yesterday I actually saw some blackened/dead DkS mushroom enemies in a corner)
Farron keep => Blighttown (just because of the swamp. Blighttown feels way more opressive)
Smouldering Lake => Demon Ruins
Grand Archives => Duke's Archives
Anor Londo
Irithyll Dungeon => Tower of Latria (different game)
(add if you know more)

What From has done really well though is to
make this obvious enough, but not make it feel like a total deja-vu (at least for me). Other players seem to take more issue with it, but it never felt like they were straight-up rehashing in this game.
Good post, I actually like this too. However, I can see how others might not.

The little touches:
the dead Mushroom men, statues of old Demon Ruins enemies in Smoldering Lake
make it work for me.

Spoil it for me, Unkindled GAF:

Do the crabs show up anywhere else than
Road of Sacrifices, Farron Keep and Smouldering Lake
? I may be doing a giant crab pictorial because I'm a huge nerd and giant crabs are the coolest.

Dimmle

I'm at about 50 hours with Lords of Cinder
Yhorm
and
Lothric
presumably still to go. Really impressed that people are beating it in less than 30 or 40.

Moaradin

What the fuck is this?

3D7724417C4E31C5C9802D568829C6CFCF6F97CD

This pops up every time I lock on. Anyone see this issue before and know how to get rid of it? Pretty much makes the game unplayable.

How do you find the door to
Siegward's
cell in
Irithyll Dungeon
? I have the key but cant for the life of me get to the other side of the cell where the door is.

johntown

Banned
What the hell is up with these gank squads? Is this normal for PVP? Multiple times I invade a world with 3 people waiting for me and other invaders.
95% of my invasions for me have been 2v1 or more. I have only had a few 1v1 invasions and I hate dueling because I like the play dirty.

It could also be a fight club which I always try to destroy if I invade by acting like a willing participant and then trying to kill the host.

I am sure there are some people that summon their friends and just wait for invaders and wreck them but most are probably just going through the game.

NG+ you may have more 1v1 fights since people are leveled more and have gear.

Dimmle

Spoil it for me, Unkindled GAF:

Do the crabs show up anywhere else than
Road of Sacrifices, Farron Keep and Smouldering Lake
? I may be doing a giant crab pictorial because I'm a huge nerd and giant crabs are the coolest.
There is a secret bonus crab if you destroy the second rolling skeleton ball in the Catacombs by killing its skeleballmancer. It appears he was inside the skeleton ball the whole time. I would like to know the lore behind this tiny crab boy.

phierce

Siegward's
cell in
Irithyll Dungeon
? I have the key but cant for the life of me get to the other side of the cell where the door is.
Have to
get to it from the next area...if you have the right key, you're in the right area. Look for a window to jump through

There is a secret bonus crab if you destroy the second rolling skeleton ball in the Catacombs by killing its skeleballmancer. I would like to know the lore behind this tiny crab boy.

Deepest looooooooooooooore.

This is so fascinating to me, lol, why the fuck does that happen?

Thanks for the info!

Siegward's
cell in
Irithyll Dungeon
its in the same area as the key. On the roof with those hand monster things, you can jump across to get access to the area.

Gbraga

I'm at about 50 hours with Lords of Cinder
Yhorm
and
Lothric
presumably still to go. Really impressed that people are beating it in less than 30 or 40.

I'm 35 hours into the game and my last boss was Exeggutor. I do understand that I usually take twice as long as the HLTB time for my first playthrough, but it absolutely blows my mind how people beat the game "doing everything" in 20 hours or less on their first playthrough. No way.

myco666

The game makes invasions more frequent for those that co-op. So it's more likely all 2, 3 or 4 people were just playing normally and the game choose to bring you to their world since they had more people. The more co-op, esp using the dried fingers to get a 3rd summon, will make it so a 2nd invader can show up.

So I try to think of it less of gank squads, and more people just trying to do co-op, without the intention of killing invaders.

These guys had cleared the entire area out of enemies and either were at the beginning of the level or waiting somewhere to ambush invaders. This was practically every single invasion I got today. I also invaded the same world bunch of times in a row and still they the same thing. Their only intention was clearly to gank invaders and it sucks since they are on the highest priority and you get matched with them constantly.

People trying to get through the level with 2 summons is fine and I don't mind but at my level that isn't happening and it is always a gank squad.

Onemic

Is it possible to kill the
dragon
in H
igh
W
all
of L
othric
and if so is it worth it and how?

No, you can only get him to 1/4 health and then it flies away. I cant remember the item it drops though.

Killing it is extremely easy.
Just buy something like 50 or so arrows and orient yourself so you're directly under it. Far enough away from the tower door that you can aim at a part of its body with your bow, but close enough to the tower door so that his breath attack doesnt hurt you.

Cob32

Think I'm done till the dlc. Started ng+ and dropped the tutorial boss in about 40 seconds. Don't fancy stream rolling through the game again if there's not even new enemy placements and such.

Dimmle

I'm 35 hours into the game and my last boss was Exeggutor. I do understand that I usually take twice as long as the HLTB time for my first playthrough, but it absolutely blows my mind how people beat the game "doing everything" in 20 hours or less on their first playthrough. No way.

Souls games always compress with knowledge so I usually go from 70+ hours on a first run to 30-40 on a second but 20 hours on a first go is legitimately amazing.

I finished the game within 25 hours, so you're definitely taking your time haha.

Damn. I'm at 45 hours and I just hit
The Profaned Capital

What's up with the leveling discussion? I feel like I've seen people saying to stop at SL 50 for some reason. Is that a thing? I'm at 61 and I still want to drastically increase a lot of my stats.

eot

Banned
I think I've killed something like eight bosses, and I have to say that only one of them felt intense and enjoyable mechanically. None of them were bad, and several of them were quite cool in terms of presentation, but still. Maybe all the great fights come later in the game.

Liamc723

I don't know what to tell you.

23 hours and I finished the game and beat all but 1 boss.

Tecnniqe

Banned
What the fuck is this?

This pops up every time I lock on. Anyone see this issue before and know how to get rid of it? Pretty much makes the game unplayable.

Lmao wtf is this?

Is it a test copy or something?

Seeing as it's saying "Dummy" with the overlay

I'm 40hs at
Anor Londo
without exploring
Irithyll Dungeon
yet and I really feel that I didn't waste time except in a specific part in
Smouldering Lake
, and with
Abyss Watchers
. So, say that I've wasted 5 to 10hs, there's still a lot of time left, like 30hs. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom