• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

What is the proper strategy when an invader won't engage you, but instead waits around in an area with lots of enemies, trying to bait you? Just wait them out, or is there some way to gain the upper hand?

Probably just ignore them and make them come to you.

J-Rod

What's the point of those disguises? Just to fuck with invaders, basically?

I've seen invaders use them too. It can make a blue bro run right by them thinking they are the host. There is also a white phantom ring that will make invaders look like a friendly white phantom.

Sullichin

I don't hate any of the bosses in the game. My least favorite is probably
Dragonslayer Armor
which I'm sure is not a popular choice for "worst" boss. It barely registered to me on my first playthrough. Just doesn't really stand out.

I enjoyed the gimmicky fights for the most part. I think the bosses are really well paced.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just had an incredibly productive session. Defeated three bosses (solo):

Pontiff Sulyvahn
Yhorm the Giant
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods

After I defeated
Aldrich
, I was teleported to an arena
to fight Dancer of the Boreal Valley
, but I Homeward Bone'd it out of there because I had no Estus Flasks from the very previous boss battle. This isn't some point of no return, is it? (Assuming I choose to fight
Dancer
, wherever he is.)

Level 64 and 25 hours of playtime. I feel like I'm making good progress.

I don't play PvP (not intentionally at least) but I've read more than once something that makes me think that healing yourself in PvP is a bad attitude? Is that right? If so that sounds ridiculous to me, or bad game design...

I use Way of the Blue because I don't want to be disturbed, only got invaded once so far and won the fight but it was clearly obvious that the invader was in disadvantage and he tried to use the enemies against me, I healed myself as much as neccesary and I really don't mind, not at all.

MrHoot

What is the proper strategy when an invader won't engage you, but instead waits around in an area with lots of enemies, trying to bait you? Just wait them out, or is there some way to gain the upper hand?

Seed from the tree of the giant.

At firelink, near the exit where you go to the tower, there's a tree that'll give you a seed every couple of bosses I think. Use it and enemies will attack invaders. It's limited and rare, but goddamn is it hilarious to see them panic

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Pfffft just killed NK on my first attempt. Aint much they can do against
Havel's Greatshield
and ton of Estus.

Zophar

Just had an incredibly productive session. Defeated three bosses (solo):

Pontiff Sulyvahn
Yhorm the Giant
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods

After I defeated
Aldrich
, I was teleported to an arena
to fight Dancer of the Boreal Valley
, but I Homeward Bone'd it out of there because I had no Estus Flasks from the very previous boss battle. This isn't some point of no return, is it? (Assuming I choose to fight
Dancer
, wherever he is.)

Level 64 and 25 hours of playtime. I feel like I'm making good progress.

Nope, you'll be fine to defeat that boss and go back to other areas. There really are no points of no return in this game, aside from questline triggers.

Use a seed of a giant tree. After each time you're invaded, there is a random chance of one spawning on the tree upstairs outside firelink (if one has spawned and you haven't collected it, there won't be any more spawning until you collect that one). It's a consumable that causes enemies to target invaders as well.

Also, if you have coop phantoms with you, if you engage the invader one at a time, it's pretty likely they wouldn't hide among enemies. When I invade, I only hide among enemies if the host has summons and they refuse to engage me one at a time.

Onemic

I don't play PvP (not intentionally at least) but I've read more than once something that makes me think that healing yourself in PvP is a bad attitude? Is that right? If so that sounds ridiculous to me, or bad game design...

I use Way of the Blue because I don't want to be disturbed, only got invaded once so far and won the fight but it was clearly obvious that the invader was in disadvantage and he tried to use the enemies against me, I healed myself as much as neccesary and I really don't mind, not at all.

Just use one of those medallion items that makes invaders unable to use estus flasks. Then kill em when they try and nothing happens.

I think it's just "proper" online etiquette and honor but if one guy drinks then, fuck it, all bets are off.

LiK

Basically it was a rule for duels but considering how big the series has become, you won't find a lot of invaders following the rules the same way we've been hearing about gank squads who wait for invaders. BB PVP was a mess because of not only the way it works there but people healed like mofos there. I feel like proper dueling is a thing of the past.

Ferrio

Banned

There's house rules that people like to try and impose on others, but nothing anyone will agree on.

Personally I feel like if you summon someone specifically for a duel then there should be no healing. If you invade or are invaded then all rules are off.

McBryBry

So currently rolling quality (strength at 28, believe DEX is at 29 or 30 and growing)

I've been rolling with the Greatsword+10, infused to have a C in both stats and it's doing a pretty damn good job. However, I'm curious on other weapons that work well with this setup. Any recommendations? Literally up for anything.

Reposting for new page.

explodet

(Assuming I choose to fight
Dancer
, wherever he is.)
IIRC, the
Dancer
is located
opposite the Vordt of the Boreal Valley fight. Where you got the banner to make those gargoyles take you to the Undead Settlement.

I only remember this because
I put down my summon sign for Vordt of the Boreal Valley to help people with that boss, but summoners would take me to the Dancer, where I would promptly be one-shot.

WHY WOULD YOU MORONS DO THAT

I think there should be an option to turn off invasions, it ruins the experience on both sides, those that love invasions and those who wants all online aspects of the game but no invasions (me).

It's not really bad manners. Especially now that all sides can heal. BUT if both sides make clear that they want an honorable duel (bow at the start, fight one on one, without help from either coop phantoms or enemies) then an invader healing before your opponent does is considered bad manners. When I invade, I leave it up to the host to decide whether healing is allowed or not. (If you attack me when I bow at the start though all bets are off, scrub.) If I'm invaded, I may heal before my opponent, because I may have made a lot of progress that I don't want lose.

There's house rules that people like to try and impose on others, but nothing anyone will agree on.

Personally I feel like if you summon someone specifically for a duel then there should be no healing. If you invade or are invaded then all rules are off.

This sounds fair to me.

It's not really bad manners. Especially now that all sides can heal. BUT if both sides make clear that they want an honorable duel (bow at the start, fight one on one, without help from either coop phantoms or enemies) then an invader healing before your opponent does is considered bad manners. When I invade, I leave it up to the host to decide whether healing is allowed or not. (If you attack me when I bow at the start though all bets are off, scrub.) If I'm invaded, I may heal before my opponent, because I may have made a lot of progress that I don't want lose.

Yeah well, makes sense but since I don't play PvP I don't know how it works, the invader here bowed to me and I did the same because "ok cool you invaded me, ruining what I'm trying to do but ok, you're being somehow polite and besides this is a game mechanic", but I didn't know I shouldn't heal... either way I don't mind, I feel bad for the invader I hope he stumble with someone who cares about all this but I love the game for other stuff, the most I do is help other people in coop once I'm done with my run.

Last night I invaded a gank squad with four people all disguised as a host. They also liked to hide, use someone as bait and then surround you. I survived 20 minutes or so, and killed three or four (they were summoned back once killed) but didn't manage to win because I didn't know who to attack. It was pretty successful at causing confusion.

That sounds awful and amazing at the same time.

They didn't happen to all be named Spartacus, did they?

Sullichin

Yep.
Duels - host should be unembered. Neither should heal. 1 on 1.
Everything else, anything goes

Pretty much if I put down a red summon sign and get summon, I won't use an estus unless the host does. However if I am invading then well I am the hostile invader in someone's world. Gotta survive as best I can.

SkylineRKR

General rule for me is greet, and no heal. But most players are healing, and thus I heal too, and kill them. Just bagged 2 at
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.

That area is hard to explore while embered.

IIRC, the
Dancer
is located
opposite the Vordt of the Boreal Valley fight. Where you got the banner to make those gargoyles take you to the Undead Settlement.

I only remember this because
I put down my summon sign for Vordt of the Boreal Valley to help people with that boss, but summoners would take me to the Dancer, where I would promptly be one-shot.

WHY WOULD YOU MORONS DO THAT

Don't put a summon there.
No one is interested in Vordt. You will be taken to Dancer 9 out of 10.

kagamin

if one never played a souls game before, could they begin with #3 or would a lot of story be missing?

You'd mostly be missing slight nods or references to the other games, you can play without having played the others just fine, but I still highly recommend them. :p

Hystzen

The area after the P
ontiff
boss fight is worse then DKS2 ever did. None stop pyro chuckers then a gank squad followed by Deja Vu (which is easier this time) but honestly you can't insult DS2 placement but praise this game they have a few sections which is just throw random mobs

myco666

You just really need to read the situation. If they want actual duel it is bad to heal but if you see that their only intention is to kill without any 'honor' then feel free to heal.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The area after the P
ontiff
boss fight is worse then DKS2 ever did. None stop pyro chuckers then a gank squad followed by Deja Vu (which is easier this time) but honestly you can't insult DS2 placement but praise this game they have a few sections which is just throw random mobs

Huh? What do you mean exactly? What area? The one with the
knight archers leading to Anor Londo?

That sounds awful and amazing at the same time.

They didn't happen to all be named Spartacus, did they?

It was super fun in a weird way.

The funniest part was right at the start. Another invader came in soon after me, and he went straight for me when he couldn't find the host, rather than try to cooperate with me. So we dueled. The opponents were hiding pretty close by, and after a while started trolling us bu spamming carvings ("very good", "thank you") then near the end, when we were weakened, they came in to finish us off. Somehow I managed to escape and heal and then survive for another fifteen minutes or so.

I wonder if they were recording a youtube trolling video. I regret I forgot to hit the share button at the end.

derFeef

Is a Blessed Gem worth using? does it work with any weapon?
I already wanted to remove the infusion and get better dmg through scaling on my Red Halberd +2

verbatimo

Dancer
took about 10 tries on my first playthrough. I was using 2h-greatsword build.

Second playthrough with a pyromancer build and great chaos fire orb, first try.

What a pushover :p

FUCK YOU FROM SOFTWARE. FFS this enemy is so cheap.

I'm talking about an NPC that you have to fight. He heals himself in less than a second and has unlimited estus flasks. What a dumb fight. I had him almost down ten times in a row and he always heals himself and kills me in one fucking hit.

This is really really cheap.

Edit: Nope, I'm done for today. This is the dumbest shit since Dark Souls 2.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Basically it was a rule for duels but considering how big the series has become, you won't find a lot of invaders following the rules the same way we've been hearing about gank squads who wait for invaders. BB PVP was a mess because of not only the way it works there but people healed like mofos there. I feel like proper dueling is a thing of the past.

Dueling is not a thing of the past at all, but expecting a random invader (or host) to not heal is insane. When it's clearly a duel, then yeah, healing is kind of weird, because what's the point of dueling then? When it's a regular invasion, you do what you gotta do. There are no "rules". You invade, you run the risk of running into gank squads. That's just the breaks.

If you want to duel, summon someone using a red soapstone in any of the popular dueling locations. That's how you duel.

Onemic

I'm talking about an NPC that you have to fight. He heals himself in less than a second and has unlimited estus flasks. What a dumb fight. I had him almost down ten times in a row and he always heals himself and kills me in one fucking hit.

Which NPC is this?

LiK

Dueling is not a thing of the past at all, but expecting a random invader (or host) to not heal is insane. When it's clearly a duel, then yeah, healing is kind of weird, because what's the point of dueling then? When it's a regular invasion, you do what you gotta do. There are no "rules". You invade, you run the risk of running into gank squads. That's just the breaks.

I don't do any PVP at all but I enjoyed watching those videos.

What? Which NPC is this?

Sullichin

Proper dueling is better than ever. Tons and tons of red signs in the last area and after Pontiff. Give the ol' honor chug and the vast majority of people will do the same. In my experience anyway.

GulAtiCa

It's only really considered rude in duels. PvP invasions, anything goes. So feel free to heal as much as you want. Invaders will be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom