• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drencrom

Okay, I just finished the A
byss
W
atchers
boss and I'm wondering what soul level should I be at around now?

I'm currently level 24 and got the boss on my second try.

Vic_Viper

About how far in do you get the ability to Respec? I'm at the extinguish 3 fires door, how far do I need to go?

If I don't care about the red eye orbs is it ok to kill
Leonhard
and will I get his armor set at the bonfire shop?

What the fuck is this?

This pops up every time I lock on. Anyone see this issue before and know how to get rid of it? Pretty much makes the game unplayable.

All I can think of is verifying the game cache on Steam. Just be sure to back up your save before you do.

I'm really curious how a bug like that even happens to begin with...

Okay, I just finished the A
byss
W
atchers
boss and I'm wondering what soul level should I be at around now?
30-40ish maybe? You're about
halfway
through the game.

About how far in do you get the ability to Respec? I'm at the extinguish 3 fires door, how far do I need to go?
There's two different exits out of
Crucifixion Woods.
You took the path that doesn't lead to the area where you get the option to respec

If I don't care about the red eye orbs is it ok to kill
Leonhard
and will I get his armor set at the bonfire shop?

You can respec at Cathedral of the Deep, which is about ~30-40 depending on what areas you have done already. And yes if you kill Leonhard, you will be able to buy his armor from the old lady.

P
ontiff Sulyvahn
was a lot easier then I expected him to be from what I've read people say. Maybe it's because I'm pure melee as his fire sword attacks almost always just whiffed right over my head. Just using the Wolf Knight Greatsword so it's not like I could attack real fast either.

Died to
the thing on the bridge
the most out of anything so far, but the time spent on it helped me a lot with the two of them behind the fake wall. Speaking of which, I'm done giving the people I invade with Aldrich Faithful the benefit of the doubt. Run into too manly people that seem to be farming invaders that non stop summon people after I let them go one on one with the other invader.

Liamc723

Unless you're really, really good at the game I don't see how this is possible if you fully explore, try to do quest lines, and do every boss.

I don't really follow all the quest lines, I'll only do something in them if I come across it while playing the game.

But apart from that, I've seen every area, finished it and beaten all but 1 boss. I guess I'm just really good.

Lorcain

What's a nice touch is when you
take the coal back to the smith, he comments on the Giant directly. Seems like they were old friends too.

those feels
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt something when the smith talked about him. RIP big guy.

Onemic

I'm 35 hours into the game and my last boss was Exeggutor. I do understand that I usually take twice as long as the HLTB time for my first playthrough, but it absolutely blows my mind how people beat the game "doing everything" in 20 hours or less on their first playthrough. No way.

ayyyy spoilers.

Anyway, JC beat the game doing everything in 11 hours.

I'd say most that beat the game in less than 20 hours definitely run through the game and arent taking their time. I know I'd cut my playthrough down significantly if I wasnt patient when entering areas or literally try to find every little secret in an area. Depending on the way you play the game it can be short or long, like any souls title. This isnt even factoring in difficulty, as getting stuck in an area or a boss can easily up your total playtime. It's like how megaman games or *insert old-school game here* can technically be beaten in an hour but depending on your skill level, that 1 hour playtime can easily go up to 40 hours

I intentionally take souls games very slow(I even resort to walking in certain areas instead of jogging) so that is a big reason why I take longer than average.

DPB

That Demon
King##############
boss was so fucking hard, I had to cheese him by running away and chipping away at him with my upgraded bow.

That's what I did too, though poison mist was also very effective, even if it did mean a lot of running in circles.

Gbraga

ayyyy spoilers.

Anyway, JC beat the game doing everything in 11 hours.

I'd say most that beat the game in less than 20 hours definitely run through the game and arent taking their time. I know I'd cut my playthrough down significantly if I wasnt patient when entering areas or literally try to find every little secret in an area. Depending on the way you play the game it can be short or long, like any souls title. This isnt even factoring in difficulty, as getting stuck in an area or a boss can easily up your total playtime. It's like how megaman games or *insert old-school game here* can technically be beaten in an hour but depending on your skill level, that 1 hour playtime can easily go up to 40 hours

I intentionally take souls games very slow(I even resort to walking in certain areas instead of jogging) so that is a big reason why I take longer than average.

But what is "doing everything"? I doubt someone who beat the game in 11 hours on their first playthrough bothered to get
Emma's dialogue after you beat Vordt
, for example. Is "doing everything" just fighting every boss, no matter what you do between them?

Not trying to talk shit about the way they play the game, everyone is free to enjoy the game however they want, obviously, but lurking the import thread and seeing reports of "I did everything and beat it in 15 hours, really disappointed" made me very worried, but it's already guaranteed to take longer than Demon's to me.

Souls games always compress with knowledge so I usually go from 70+ hours on a first run to 30-40 on a second but 20 hours on a first go is legitimately amazing.

Oh yeah, that's normal, and I absolutely love it about the series.

I don't know what to tell you.

23 hours and I finished the game and beat all but 1 boss.

But you don't say you did everything if you even missed one boss, right? I'm not questioning how people can beat the game faster than me, but there's no way you can do everything on a blind playthrough in 11 hours. It's just not true, unless "everything" means "not much".

Is an All Bosses Speedrun "doing everything"?

GulAtiCa

These guys had cleared the entire area out of enemies and either were at the beginning of the level or waiting somewhere to ambush invaders. This was practically every single invasion I got today. I also invaded the same world bunch of times in a row and still they the same thing. Their only intention was clearly to gank invaders and it sucks since they are on the highest priority and you get matched with them constantly.

People trying to get through the level with 2 summons is fine and I don't mind but at my level that isn't happening and it is always a gank squad.

Ah, yeah that down right sucks.

Onemic

But what is "doing everything"? I doubt someone who beat the game in 11 hours on their first playthrough bothered to get
Emma's dialogue after you beat Vordt
, for example. Is "doing everything" just fighting every boss, no matter what you do between them?

Not trying to talk shit about the way they play the game, everyone is free to enjoy the game however they want, obviously, but lurking the import thread and seeing reports of "I did everything and beat it in 15 hours, really disappointed" made me very worried, but it's already guaranteed to take longer than Demon's to me.

Doing everything most likely just means beating every boss, including optional ones.

deim0s

How screwed am I with Anri's quest line? I just learned that I skipped a complete area below the Catacombs... so far, this is what happened:

- Met with the two at the fortress(?).
- Yorel is dead. (Way too early, didn't see anyone or even use his free levels)
- Found out about Smouldering lake, while I was in Anor Londo
- Backtracked to Catacombs/Smouldering and offed (Horace), didn't tell her about it.
- Now she appears in Yorshka bonfire and no pilgrim hiding about the bonfire area. (Because Yorel is already dead?)

Am I missing something else?

SkylineRKR

That Demon
King##############
boss was so fucking hard, I had to cheese him by running away and chipping away at him with my upgraded bow.

That guy fucked me up. He has lots of tools and combo breakers I didn't expect. He's a rare boss that seems to be harder for pure melee builds. He'll do AoE after a few strikes, counters with pyromancy combustion as well.

Boils down to strike a few times, and evade his counters. Punish when he summons meteors, then dodge them.

How screwed am I with Anri's quest line? I just learned that I skipped a complete area below the Catacombs... so far, this is what happened:

- Backtracked to Catacombs/Smouldering and offed (Horace), didn't tell her about it.
- Now she appears in Yorshka bonfire and no pilgrim hiding about the bonfire area. (Because Yorel is already dead?)

You're screwed out of the
secret ending
but can probably still do her alternative quest line, which seems pretty cool (I'm actually going for that one myself, rather than
the quest line that leads to the secret ending. Fuck hollowing.
)

Jellie

You progressed too far without using Yoel's free levels so the NPC that replaces him doesn't spawn which is why the pilgrim isn't there.

Lorcain

That Demon
King##############
He took me 7 or 8 tries to figure out his attacks. I beat him straight up in melee, but it wasn't pretty. I almost shit myself when he
did that explosion at the end which took me down to a sliver of health.
Of all the bosses, he was definitely one of the more challenging for me. Maybe he's easier with ranged or magic/pyro.

SkylineRKR

I think you need the Chameleon spell. Which is probably at Darkmoon in your case?

Citadel

So I somehow missed
Siegward
at the
Cleansing Chapel
and ran into
Patches
with his armor on.

Does that mean
Siegward
is no longer available to me as an ally for the rest of the game? Did I somehow fail him?

Liamc723

But you don't say you did everything if you even missed one boss, right? I'm not questioning how people can beat the game faster than me, but there's no way you can do everything on a blind playthrough in 11 hours. It's just not true, unless "everything" means "not much".

Is an All Bosses Speedrun "doing everything"?

I've never said I've done everything there is in the game. I only said I've beaten the game and killed all but 1 boss in 23 hours.

Of course there's more for me to see and do, but they're smaller things that are tied to lore and story, which is something I've never really put a lot of research into. I'm happy that I've seen everything major and some minor things in Dark Souls 3.

I never rushed through the game though, I absolutely took my time to explore every area I came across.

So I somehow missed
Siegward
at the
Cleansing Chapel
and ran into
Patches
with his armor on.

Does that mean
Siegward
is no longer available to me as an ally for the rest of the game? Did I somehow fail him?

If I understand the situation correctly, you should still be fine

You progressed too far without using Yoel's free levels so the NPC that replaces him doesn't spawn which is why the pilgrim isn't there.

Regarding Anri's quest:
I didn't use any of the levels and the pilgrim was still there for me last night.

Cat Party

Seed from the tree of the giant.

At firelink, near the exit where you go to the tower, there's a tree that'll give you a seed every couple of bosses I think. Use it and enemies will attack invaders. It's limited and rare, but goddamn is it hilarious to see them panic

Use a seed of a giant tree. After each time you're invaded, there is a random chance of one spawning on the tree upstairs outside firelink (if one has spawned and you haven't collected it, there won't be any more spawning until you collect that one). It's a consumable that causes enemies to target invaders as well.

Also, if you have coop phantoms with you, if you engage the invader one at a time, it's pretty likely they wouldn't hide among enemies. When I invade, I only hide among enemies if the host has summons and they refuse to engage me one at a time.

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to waste a seed, but I didn't realize you could keep picking them up.

SkylineRKR

So I somehow missed
Siegward
at the
Cleansing Chapel
and ran into
Patches
with his armor on.

Does that mean
Siegward

No.

After you've opened up all shortcuts in the Cathedral, and have entered the boss fight there, he'll be in the well. Then you need to find Patches in the cathedral again.

eot

Banned
That Demon
King##############

That guy fucked me up. He has lots of tools and combo breakers I didn't expect. He's a rare boss that seems to be harder for pure melee builds. He'll do AoE after a few strikes, counters with pyromancy combustion as well.

Boils down to strike a few times, and evade his counters. Punish when he summons meteors, then dodge them.

Whaat? I just fought him and could basically just mash R1 the entire fight with my melee build. Easiest boss I fought so far.

Plum

So why did nobody tell me that Y
horm's
Great Machete was so damn good?

I've had about 20 duels with it and only lost three times. This thing upgraded with 45 STR is a beast of a weapon.

Raxious

Halfway through with those damn covenants:

Only things remaining:

30 Sunlight Medals
9 Human Dregs
24 Proof of a Concord Kept

if one never played a souls game before, could they begin with #3 or would a lot of story be missing?

Just do it. I've only played what I believe was roughly half of the first one, and while some of the callbacks I've noticed are cool it doesn't really enhance the user experience much in my opinion. I'm so glad I went ahead and picked up 3 though. Just know what you're signing up for.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Where's the best place for invasions/duels at end game (not NG+)? I feel bad and annoyed invading random people who keep going to bosses.

The round balcony close to the Pontiff boss fight is like the unofficial arena of the game. Tons of summon signs there.

Wagram

So why did nobody tell me that Y
horm's
Great Machete was so damn good?

I've had about 20 duels with it and only lost three times. This thing upgraded with 45 STR is a beast of a weapon.

I thought about using that, but I was on my way to 50 strength to use the
Fume
Ultra Greatsword. Figured I might as well go all the way and it was damn worth.

Whaat? I just fought him and could basically just mash R1 the entire fight with my melee build. Easiest boss I fought so far.

Hah, I was thinking the same. Beat it on my first run just by running into his legs and mashing.

I feel like most of my experience with this game has been wait for an opening, run in and mash. I always have just enough endurance to kill most of the mobs with one series of attacks. Dark Sword is OP and mine is only +7 right now.

I see all these posts about quests people are doing for NPC and just think to myself, good god I must have messed some shit up.

I don't think I have a single active NPC quest

deim0s

You're screwed out of the
secret ending
but can probably still do her alternative quest line, which seems pretty cool (I'm actually going for that one myself, rather than
the quest line that leads to the secret ending. Fuck hollowing.
)

Oh dear. :/

Damn. Better for me make a list of things I have to follow and do for NG+ then. Seems I'm not paying attention enough like I did with the previous games.

edit:

Regarding Anri's quest:
I didn't use any of the levels and the pilgrim was still there for me last night.

Same.
Yoel was dead, never used free levels and never bought anything. Pilgrim was there.

hmmmm... bug perhaps on my end? Will check later.

Dimmle

I'm holding out hope for S
eigward
but I'm pretty sure I've fucked everything else up. I know for a fact that Anri
has a sword in her face.

I see all these posts about quests people are doing for NPC and just think to myself, good god I must have messed some shit up.

I don't think I have a single active NPC quest

I know that feel. I have a few NPC quests going, but honestly it's legitimately difficult for me to remember to go back to Firelink frequently just to make sure no one has any new dialogue.

Pretty upset with myself for breaking the Y
oel
questline. I was working on it, and then didn't talk to him for a few hours and he died. I had leveled at least 4 times with him, but obviously that wasn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom