• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogbg

After finishing Dark Souls III and loving every minute of it I decided to try Dark Souls I and that was a mistake, it's just so bad in comparison. I know I may get death threats for this but hear me out. I think if I could rewind time and play the series in order, without having experienced Bloodborne and Dark Souls III I would have liked it more, but now it just feels really slow and clunky with some truly "anti fun" mechanics (like the curse which halves your HP until you speak to the NPC, I much prefer how it's handled in DS3 or the Ghosts which you can't attack without a cursed weapon or consumable which are expensive for the level and limited). I really, really tried to like it, I have about 10 hours into it but I wasn't having fun for most of that time and now I've just thrown in the towel for good. Also the port isn't good at all even with DSFix. Oh and no fast travel really did rustle my jimmies.

*Begins blocking*

Just a suggestion but what was your equip burden %? DS1 has a much more punishing mid-roll than DS3 between 25% and 50%.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just a suggestion but what was your equip burden %? DS1 has a much more punishing mid-roll than DS3 between 25% and 50%.

Yeah I was mid rolling and it was definitely worse than DS3. I felt very slow in general, both rolling and attacking even though I was using Battleaxe + shield. Clunky is the best word to describe the gameplay IMO. I just don't think it's viable to go back to the older games after playing the latest ones, unless you were already a fan to begin with.

Lux R7

After finishing Dark Souls III and loving every minute of it I decided to try Dark Souls I and that was a mistake, it's just so bad in comparison. I know I may get death threats for this but hear me out. I think if I could rewind time and play the series in order, without having experienced Bloodborne and Dark Souls III I would have liked it more, but now it just feels really slow and clunky with some truly "anti fun" mechanics (like the curse which halves your HP until you speak to the NPC, I much prefer how it's handled in DS3 or the Ghosts which you can't attack without a cursed weapon or consumable which are expensive for the level and limited). I really, really tried to like it, I have about 10 hours into it but I wasn't having fun for most of that time and now I've just thrown in the towel for good. Also the port isn't good at all even with DSFix. Oh and no fast travel really did rustle my jimmies.

*Begins blocking*

It's a superb game, i suggest to try again after the ds3 hype

KingKong

ha ha yeah, I remember getting cursed, having to go all the way back up, realizing i didn't have enough souls, grinding the souls, getting cured, going all the way back down and being deathly afraid of being cursed again

its a great experience

ogbg

Yeah I was mid rolling and it was definitely worse than DS3. I felt very slow in general, both rolling and attacking even though I was using Battleaxe + shield. Clunky is the best word to describe the gameplay IMO. I just don't think it's viable to go back to the older games after playing the latest ones, unless you were already a fan to begin with.

Try getting below 25%. It feels so much better. If you still want to wear medium armour then you can with Havel's Ring.

E92 M3

I am willing to send PayPal if anyone on Xbox has extra Darkmoon items. This GRIND is ridiculous. Lowest drop rate ever (and I've grinded a lot over the years).

Dimmle

The real problem with DS1 is how uneven it is compared to its sequels, which generally get better as they go on. DS1 peaks at Anor Londo and the back half is pretty spotty (well, Izalith is lame), not including the excellent DLC.

That said, I'm glad that the D
emon Ruins are around in DS3 to uphold the tradition of "the curiously incomplete area."

*Begins blocking*

I'd have gone with Dark Souls 2 next honestly (haters be damned). The expanded version that is (SOTFS). DS1 might be harder to get into now since it is slower, for sure, but once it clicks it's probably my favourite of them all.

Lux R7

The real problem with DS1 is how uneven it is compared to its sequels, which generally get better as they go on. DS1 peaks at Anor Londo and the back half is pretty spotty (well, Izalith is lame), not including the excellent DLC.

I think duke's archives are amazing, the tomb of the giants too. The only "problem" is izalith.

Meccs

Wow. The N
ameless King
phase 1 is one of the worst fights. The camera is atrocious. You unlock the camera and then have to relock
when he goes up.
I'm constantly fumbling with dodge and the right analog stick to adjust the camera. What a nightmare. The worst part is when the boss is clipping through the whole wall you came in. There is a easy way to down the
dragon, but I often times miss his open mouth or my sword clips through his head.
The second phase is pretty cool though, still haven't killed him yet. I have two questions regarding this fight:

Phase 1:
What are you supposed to do when he does his fire breath? I can't get away fast enough and it staggers you.

Phase 2:
I'm ok with dodging his attacks for the most part but I'm doing so little damage that it's just a drag and not fun. I'm level 90 currently. Should I come back later? Or am I missing something?
I'm probably too defensive.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have gone with Dark Souls 2 next honestly (haters be damned). The expanded version that is (SOTFS). DS1 might be harder to get into now since it is slower, for sure, but once it clicks it's probably my favourite of them all.

I know DS2 adds fast travel which is a huge plus, and it runs great on PC which is another plus, but is it also faster than DS1? If so I will give it a go next time it's on sale.

These guys had cleared the entire area out of enemies and either were at the beginning of the level or waiting somewhere to ambush invaders. This was practically every single invasion I got today. I also invaded the same world bunch of times in a row and still they the same thing. Their only intention was clearly to gank invaders and it sucks since they are on the highest priority and you get matched with them constantly.

People trying to get through the level with 2 summons is fine and I don't mind but at my level that isn't happening and it is always a gank squad.

Seeing that a lot too.

For kicks I started invading in
Catacombs
and there were numerous gank squads standing in the hallway to the boss gate waiting for me.

Such a great area for invasions except for that end of the area.

Booshka

Dark Souls 1 is only slow if you play slow. Sub 25% equip load and don't lock on to everything. You can i-frame the World in that game.

mstevens

I am willing to send PayPal if anyone on Xbox has extra Darkmoon items. This GRIND is ridiculous. Lowest drop rate ever (and I've grinded a lot over the years).

I'm pretty sure you can't pick up other people's covanent items in this game (or rings, and some other stuff) even tho you can drop them.

I went from zero to twenty last night by starting a sl1 character and grinding blue sentinel for about 3 hours. It sucks, but it seems to be the only way I could get the summons. The grind for the items on my 120 character was indeed ridiculous. So I guess this is my all item character now.

E92 M3

I'm pretty sure you can't pick up other people's covanent items in this game (or rings, and some other stuff) even tho you can drop them.

Oh that sucks =/

I went from zero to twenty last night by starting a sl1 character and grinding blue sentinel for about 3 hours. It sucks, but it seems to be the only way I could get the summons. The grind for the items on my 120 character was indeed ridiculous. So I guess this is my all item character now.

Yeah, I can't do the whole restarting business. Too many hours already on this character lol

After 3 hours of trying to beat
Champion Gundyr
on my own, I simply caved in and summoned help :/ I can't say that I didn't try.... (yes, I'm still on my first playthrough, I don't know where the first OT disappeared)

Jolkien

Such a waste of time, getting invaded all day, the guy roll around and keep being invisible with a huge sword. He killed me, saw him drink at least 9 flask, I have 5. I love the coop, fucking loathe the pvp.

Ricker

Holy shit at the Irithyll of the Boreal Valley,my solo journey will probably end here,going to play embered with people I guess from now...then again I said that for the Catacombs...

Wagram

I know DS2 adds fast travel which is a huge plus, and it runs great on PC which is another plus, but is it also faster than DS1? If so I will give it a go next time it's on sale.

There's fast travel in DS1. You have to get far enough to use it.

Kyne

So when you clear a boss in an area, are you no longer able to ask for help/summon for the area? I think it was like this in Bloodborne, but I haven't tried it yet in DS3.

MilkBeard

I seem to get them a lot during pvp. Just do that and it will come naturally.

EDIT: Pretty sure you don't have to actually be donning the Darkmoon emblem to get the drops. Just kill invaders of any kind using the fastest method.

Booshka

Such a waste of time, getting invaded all day, the guy roll around and keep being invisible with a huge sword. He killed me, saw him drink at least 9 flask, I have 5. I love the coop, fucking loathe the pvp.

Invaders get half as many Estus and 2/3rds of the Host's HP. You got outplayed homie.

Jolkien

Invaders get half as many Estus and 2/3rds of the Host's HP. You got outplayed homie.

Ok. He killed me and he drank straight nine time while my death animation was playing. Outplayed alright... homie. And I backstabbed him twice for 157 damge each time, barely made a dent in his HP. I'm lvl 19, And I have 947 HP so if he had 2/3 300+ damage should've brought down his bar way more than it did.

Citadel

No.

After you've opened up all shortcuts in the Cathedral, and have entered the boss fight there, he'll be in the well. Then you need to find Patches in the cathedral again.

If I understand the situation correctly, you should still be fine

Yeah -- Last time I saw
Patches
, he
apologized for tricking me
and is still standing up where I left him, now a merchant. I'll go check the well and see if
Siegward
is there. Thanks!

Ricker

So when you clear a boss in an area, are you no longer able to ask for help/summon for the area? I think it was like this in Bloodborne, but I haven't tried it yet in DS3.

Yep,if both players have cleared the Boss,you cant co-op...and the one that cleared only can help the other if he hasnt...I tried to summon my friend to do the Stone guy near the Wolf in Farron but we couldnt since we both beat the Boss...

Ogawa-san

*Begins blocking*
I started DS1 right after BB and those were most of my issues with it. It really was a mistake to skip it after DeS and go to DS2 to BB, release order is a must because going backwards on the evolution in the series mechanics-wise is painful, especially from DS3 that's the pinnacle of it.

I kind of wish they'd remaster it while updating a bunch of stuff (and removing another bunch), but then it wouldn't be DS1 anymore I guess.

MilkBeard

*Begins blocking*

That's understandable, I suppose. I really enjoyed Dark Souls 1. But, I tried to go back to Dark Souls 2 after Bloodborne and its lightning fast combat, and DS2 felt pretty clunky. I will give it another go at some point. Originally I had invested 80 hours into the game, but I sold the old version.

Anyway, I can imagine those who start with DS3 will have a hard time jumping in to the older games, they are a bit slower and clunkier feeling. All I can say is keep playing and it will click, but it's not working for you I guess.

If you had a PS4 I would recommend Bloodborne, but I see you have XOne.

Wow. The N
ameless King
phase 1 is one of the worst fights. The camera is atrocious. You unlock the camera and then have to relock
when he goes up.
I'm constantly fumbling with dodge and the right analog stick to adjust the camera. What a nightmare. The worst part is when the boss is clipping through the whole wall you came in. There is a easy way to down the
dragon, but I often times miss his open mouth or my sword clips through his head.
The second phase is pretty cool though, still haven't killed him yet. I have two questions regarding this fight:

Phase 1:
What are you supposed to do when he does his fire breath? I can't get away fast enough and it staggers you.

Phase 2:
I'm ok with dodging his attacks for the most part but I'm doing so little damage that it's just a drag and not fun. I'm level 90 currently. Should I come back later? Or am I missing something?
I'm probably too defensive.

Phase 1:
Don't stand below the dragon. The camera is not equipped to be under there and he only does the flying up in the air flame attack if you are directly beneath him. Also your damage there blows. You want to be standing in front of the dragon dodging the Nameless King's attacks as he makes them and then hitting the head when it's vulnerable (when it breathes fire, run straight in and you can get a lot of damage off). Keep your eyes on the Nameless King, his attacks are highly telegraphed and pretty easy to dodge.

Phase 2:
This one is Fume Knight 2.0. Learn his attacks and dodge dodge dodge. You have to just chip away at him for the first half of the fight. During the second half of the fight he'll do a thing where he charges up. Just lay into him and you can trigger a stagger that will let you follow up with a critical attack. If you were able to get him to phase 2, you have this one.

Took me over an hour to beat this guy and I think he's honestly one of the best fights in the series, both in the presentation of the fight and the mechanics.

Shibalan

I just love the Carthus Curved Sword with my DEX build. Tried some katanas before but their moveset never clicked with me. CCS "feels" great, is quite fast, do some damages, i'm really happy with it. Upgraded it to sharp +10.

But it seems like a pretty average weapon lorewise and is never mentioned on forums. Did I miss something ? Is there any similar blade with better stats ?

Jolkien

It's not possible to have 9 estus as an invader. PC? Maybe it was a cheater I guess

Yeah on PC. He rolled around all day, both me and my friend we chased him down the long bridge at the start of the Undead valley (the area right after you raide the banner) He sprinted the whole way, I ran out of stam like 1/3 across the bridge, he started where Yoel of Londor was. First souls online experience. Each time I start a coop session with a friend we get invaded, we've beaten the other invaders but that guy was on another level, probably not legit is my guess.

I joined the Blue covenant, it says it should help defend me against invaders, any idea how that's supposed to work ?

*Begins blocking*

I stopped at Sen's Fortress in DS1 to play DS3 on the 12th, because I got into Dark Souls super late. The first time I played it properly was literally a month ago. That said, I still prefer Dark Souls 1. The sense of discovery is unparalleled, and the game unfolds itself so naturally. I also feel like it's properly difficult at times, and demands a slower, more tactical and thought provoking play style than Dark Souls 3. While I've loved every second of DS3 so far, I feel like the combat has just been running in and mashing R1 until my endurance runs out. Heavy weapons aren't viable IMO, and everything else just isn't as good as the speed of a straight/broadsword.

Kyne

Correct, but you're also protected from being invaded.

Yep,if both players have cleared the Boss,you cant co-op...and the one that cleared only can help the other if he hasnt...I tried to summon my friend to do the Stone guy near the Wolf in Farron but we couldnt since we both beat the Boss...

Thanks.

I guess I'll be a little more specific;

My gf and I want to backtrack to the
High Wall of Lothric
and prematurely fight
the Dancer of the Boreal Valley
, but we've already cleared the area (I think.. ?)

Is this still possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom