• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellie

Unable to summon x200

Think that because so many people try to summon there that when you try to summon they've already been summoned. If you put down your sign there see how long it take for you to get summoned I guess? Have you tried summoning a friend using a password?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
So just finished killing P
ontiff Sulyvahn
and this was such an amazing fight. One of the best boss fights so far after A
byss watchers
. I think this boss fight basically reinforced by preference for humanoid one on one fights after BB. Orphan, Maria,Gerhman, Gascgoine and now these two. So fking good. Also the level design in C
athedral of the Deep
and I
rithyll of the Boreal Valley
was fking on point compared to the rest of the levels so far which were supremely mediocre by Souls standards IMO. Actually C
atacombs
is alright.

Somehow managed to kill (late-game boss)
Lorian and Lothric
on my first try, yet Dark Souls 3's Pinwheel,
Deacons of the Deep
, managed to kill me twice.

These games sure are funny like that.

Same. I only had to tango with the A
byss
W
atchers
three times and beat down C
hampion
G
undyr
my first attempt, but got my ass handed to me by C
rystal
S
ceiros

sora87

Think that because so many people try to summon there that when you try to summon they've already been summoned. If you put down your sign there see how long it take for you to get summoned I guess? Have you tried summoning a friend using a password?

I get summoned instantly. None of my friends are this far lol.
It's just annoying me now, I think I might have to skip this boss sadly :/

E92 M3

Yeah, you might be leveled over most people. I think I just outleveled a lot of PvP stuff because I upgraded my weapon to a +10.

The area between
Pontiff and Anor Londo
is the best place for PvP currently, from what I've seen, and I had a hard time even getting summoned for co op just now. usually it happens in a second.

I do everything very well except the Darkmoon never works. All other PVP stuff works swiftly.

GulAtiCa

lol, invaded a guy in C
athedral in the Deep
. Anyways, a Blue showed up. So I then went after the Blue, since destroying him/her is worth more then the host. They are a more valuable reward. But before I could do anything, he spawned next to the G
iant
. He was dead soon after. lol. The game basically fucked him over in the worst spot. lol

(Though, that enemy is so easy to kill and isn't around any other enemy, so could have easily killed it and not taken a hit)

MilkBeard

I do everything very well except the Darkmoon never works. All other PVP stuff works swiftly.

try co oping in a pvp heavy area with the darkmoon item equipped, and kill an invader. I think you may get one that way. Not sure though. I'm trying to test that now.

People that finish this game in 30 hours have to be rushing through it btw. Impossible to exlpore everything that way.

I'm at
Grand Archives
@ 32 hours. I've still got a bit to go, but I don't think I'm rushing it at all. I take time exploring to a degree, but I don't feel the need to find every last item.

Onemic

I gave up after a 5 or 6 tries and just started parrying. You can reliably get a parry at the very beginning of the fight when he lunges to you, and it's not that hard to parry on his slow overhead attack. There are a few other attacks that are very long sequences which you can parry as well. Not saying this is easy, but that's how I did it. Once he starts splitting, you need to run up and do as much damage to the clone and him as possible. If you're strong enough you can practically kill the clone before the split even completes.

I have literally no idea how you could solo this boss with a dodge heavy character. All his attacks are so fast, and he barely gives you any time to counter attack. Maybe heavy shield characters do better? I don't know.

With a pyro, he has no second form. I just use my AOE orb on him at all times, and when he tries to split the orb kills the clone instantly. Dodging his attacks arent hard if your goal is to keep him at range

zashga

Had lots of fun doing some coop on
Yhorm the Giant
last night. Not a super challenging fight, but the
return of the Storm Ruler
makes it super fun. Especially since my own attempt I went in solo/blind, and
Siegward just walks in and starts laying down the shockwaves like a badass
. I ended up just
tanking the boss for him
and didn't figure out how I was "supposed" to do it until after.

Wow. The N
ameless King
phase 1 is one of the worst fights. The camera is atrocious. You unlock the camera and then have to relock
when he goes up.
I'm constantly fumbling with dodge and the right analog stick to adjust the camera. What a nightmare. The worst part is when the boss is clipping through the whole wall you came in. There is a easy way to down the
dragon, but I often times miss his open mouth or my sword clips through his head.
The second phase is pretty cool though, still haven't killed him yet. I have two questions regarding this fight:

Phase 1:
What are you supposed to do when he does his fire breath? I can't get away fast enough and it staggers you.

Phase 2:
I'm ok with dodging his attacks for the most part but I'm doing so little damage that it's just a drag and not fun. I'm level 90 currently. Should I come back later? Or am I missing something?
I'm probably too defensive.

Yeah phase one sucks, u need to run the fuck out when the dragon starts breathing fire. also try to attacks its head, that's his weak point.

MrHoot

I had two extremely funny moments in pvp.

I'm a blade of the darkmoon. I don't get summoned often but when I do it's always a bit weird.

First I got summoned at the beginning of one of the last zones of the game. Just see my host here who doesn't seem to preoccupied. I see him use an item, then just lie down.

A few seconds later, I see them essage the invader died. He used a seed of the giant and the mobs did the work. I smiled like a dummie while just getting my darkmoon reward.

Second was a mess as I helped a guy in the same zone. He had 3 invaders, but one of them was a mound-maker and he was attacking other invaders, who in turn were trying to fight him off and find the host and me in the middle of this. It ended in a 2 v 2 v 1 (with the host using a greatbow from afar to troll) and it was great

krioto

I really love sub-broing in this game!

Just such a simple mechanic, yet in a world so bleak, its nice to drop in as a golden shining helper, and help someone get past a bit they are stuck on.

Jharp

Well this is kind of silly. After posting about not understanding how I'm supposed to reasonably beat
Pontiff
, I upgraded my Dark Sword from a +6 to a +7, re-attempted the fight, got him into phase two and rushed him just as he began summoning the copy while two handing my sword and was able to kill it before it was summoned. Then I just carried on the fight like normal and with about 10% left he started summoning again so I started wailing and beat him.

It was either a fluke and I got lucky, or that fight is ten times easier than I thought it was going to be after about five attempts and getting railed by the copy each time.

I have been trying to beat him for the last night and i just killed him with two summons (I got lucky i guess). You can add me if you want to. abysswalker71 on PSN.

So if I'm going a dex build, what's the best weapon that I should focus on? Right now I'm using the Uchigatana and the ice sword that you get when riding the elevator down and fighting that weird ice dude.

the Uchigatana carried my playtrough to the end, after the last lord of cinder I switched to a dual style katana u find late game

there also this covenant reard katana that is pretty cool

bobawesome

Playthrough 2 essentially done. I'm not sure if I want to stop right here for my main character until dlc hits or not.
People that finish this game in 30 hours have to be rushing through it btw. Impossible to exlpore everything that way.

lol no

I beat Bloodborne in 22 hours and Dark Souls III took me a little more than 26 hours. I certainly wasn't "rushing" through the game. I missed only one area, which I'm sure is one a lot of others miss. I'm also not playing online so I don't have the benefit of seeing player messages to steer me in the right direction.

Sane_Man

lol no

I beat Bloodborne in 22 hours and Dark Souls III took me a little more than 26 hours. I certainly wasn't "rushing" through the game. I missed only one area, which I'm sure is one a lot of others miss. I'm also not playing online so I don't have the benefit of seeing player messages to steer me in the right direction.

If you missed an entire area then you're rushing to some extent. To finish it in 26 hours means you're no way exploring all the areas, finding all the items, reading the lore, following the quest lines, etc, which is an integral part of the game. Definitely rushing, although there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you like to play.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If you missed an entire area then you're rushing to some extent. To finish it in 26 hours means you're no way exploring all the areas, finding all the items, reading the lore, following the quest lines, etc, which is an integral part of the game. Definitely rushing, although there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you like to play.

I don't understand how anyone found the hidden area. It is Castlevania 2 style.

Jellie

Yeah sounds like the demand is too high.
If you need to I can probably help. Done the boss myself and got summoned a few times (but they had two summons not one). Haven't fought him in a while.

Hmmm, kind of wish I hadn't taken the NPC by the bonfire in to the A
byss
W
atchers
fight, after seeing their name pop up frequently I assumed it was going to be a spectacularly difficult fight even with a summon - I was wrong, it made it a total joke. Not that I was that impressed by the design in general. I prefer big monster bosses I think. I even preferred the set up of the Cathedral boss that I did shortly before that I thought was fun and a similar idea to previous bosses like the ayy lmaos in BB and Rats in DS2.

Then I'm in the C
atacombs
and still finding regular titanite shards as loot? WTF From Soft? What does it take to get past a +4 fucking weapon in this game? All the upgrade materials are so gated off.

This area is a nice upgrade to the similar area in previous games and all, it does remind me a bit of one of the Chalice Dungeons in BB, but these fast red eyed enemies suffer from what a lot of enemies so far have and it's long multi-hit movesets that exhaust your stamina bar and not much time in between where you can get in any damage before they start up again. If I have to roll 3 times to dodge a move chain, I've got the choice of either going in for to do a hit (and it's one hit because 80% of my stamina is gone) and them possibly hyper armouring through it and getting hit myself or waiting for another opening whilst the bar regains. It's rare I find an opportunity to backstab after a lot of these move chains because they often send them flying away from you or they recover rreally fast. It reminds me some of some enemies in DS2. I guess once I learn their movesets and get parrying down things will improve.

Sane_Man

I don't understand how anyone found the hidden area. It is Castlevania 2 style.

I think my first playthrough was around 55 hours and I found all the areas, fought all the bosses, found almost all of the items (all rings, most gestures, almost all weapons, and so on). I look in every corner of each room and also make notes when I'm playing as well which helps.

If you're finishing the game for the first time in the 20ish hour mark then you're definitely cutting corners.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think my first playthrough was around 55 hours and I found all the areas, fought all the bosses, found almost all of the items (all rings, most gestures, almost all weapons, and so on). I look in every corner of each room and also make notes when I'm playing as well which helps.

If you're finishing the game for the first time in the 20ish hour mark then you're definitely cutting corners.

What made you do what was necessary to get to the hidden area?

What made you do what was necessary to get to the hidden area?

Are you talking about U
ntended
G
raves
?

In Dark Souls 1, there was a place with an illusory wall, then behind it, a chest, then behind the chest, another illusory wall which led to a gigantic area.

Since then, I check every wall behind every chest. Which has gotten me two illusory walls in this game. :D

sora87

I have been trying to beat him for the last night and i just killed him with two summons (I got lucky i guess). You can add me if you want to. abysswalker71 on PSN.

Yeah sounds like the demand is too high.
If you need to I can probably help. Done the boss myself and got summoned a few times (but they had two summons not one). Haven't fought him in a while.

Thanks for the offer but I just BLOODY DID IT YAYYY!
Summoned a sunbro who finally knew what to do during the first phase so they actually survived, and we just traded aggro during the second phase back and forth and the other got some hits in while he was preoccupied. Feels good man! Now to finish the game.

Or maybe DS3 is just really short? Compared to DS1 and DS2 especially it's really short.

ramyeon

Hmmm, kind of wish I hadn't taken the NPC by the bonfire in to the A
byss
W
atchers
fight, after seeing their name pop up frequently I assumed it was going to be a spectacularly difficult fight even with a summon - I was wrong, it made it a total joke. Not that I was that impressed by the design in general. I prefer big monster bosses I think. I even preferred the set up of the Cathedral boss that I did shortly before that I thought was fun and a similar idea to previous bosses like the ayy lmaos in BB and Rats in DS2.

Then I'm in the C
atacombs
and still finding regular titanite shards as loot? WTF From Soft? What does it take to get past a +4 fucking weapon in this game? All the upgrade materials are so gated off.

This area is a nice upgrade to the similar area in previous games and all, it does remind me a bit of one of the Chalice Dungeons in BB, but these fast red eyed enemies suffer from what a lot of enemies so far have and it's long multi-hit movesets that exhaust your stamina bar and not much time in between where you can get in any damage before they start up again. If I have to roll 3 times to dodge a move chain, I've got the choice of either going in for to do a hit (and it's one hit because 80% of my stamina is gone) and them possibly hyper armouring through it and getting hit myself or waiting for another opening whilst the bar regains. It's rare I find an opportunity to backstab after a lot of these move chains because they often send them flying away from you or they recover rreally fast. It reminds me some of some enemies in DS2. I guess once I learn their movesets and get parrying down things will improve.
A
byss Watchers
was a fantastic, thrilling fight solo. Especially that second phase. Summoning completely trivialises the fight to the point of ridiculousness. None of the fights in Souls are really balanced for co-op beyond HP buffs but it's bosses like these that really suffer from it imo.

A
byss Watchers
was a fantastic, thrilling fight solo. Especially that second phase. Summoning completely trivialises the fight to the point of ridiculousness. None of the fights in Souls are really balanced for co-op beyond HP buffs but it's bosses like these that really suffer from it imo.

I spent more time dodging in that fight than anything else. The range on some of that fire is crazy.

MilkBeard

Or maybe DS3 is just really short? Compared to DS1 and DS2 especially it's really short.

I don't find that to be the case. In the amount of areas and general time it takes to get through, I would say DS 3 is either the same size, or a little bit bigger than the original.

Once you get used to equipment and all the system it takes much less time to beat. I am still, however, one of the slower players. I like to discover everything, go back to areas and find all the items I missed, do all the NPCs. I try to do it all in one playthrough because I usually don't finish a second.

I'm having a bit more fun replaying the game now after giving up on miracles on my Herald, and just picking up pyromancy. Is 25/25 int/faith a good point to shoot for over the normal course of the game? I can always jack those up end game. It also figures that the first enemy that can drop the Dark Sword does, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the points to meet the str/dex requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom