• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching someone down an estus when you are literally one hit away from killing them is the most frustrating thing about these games.

I need to find a better way to punish healers.

Krabboss

I know DS2 adds fast travel which is a huge plus, and it runs great on PC which is another plus, but is it also faster than DS1? If so I will give it a go next time it's on sale.

If anything, DS2's controls feel even more awkward to me. There's a weird unresponsiveness to the left stick movement in DS2 that feels so bizarre to me.

I definitely agree that it's pretty difficult to go back to either after 3. 3 polishes up so many things about the series that the barrier to entry is probably about as low as it can get for a Souls game.

I just love the Carthus Curved Sword with my DEX build. It "feels" great, is quite fast, do some damages, i'm really happy with it. Upgraded it to sharp +10.

But it seems like a pretty average weapon lorewise and is never mentioned on forums. Did I miss something ? Is there any similar blade with better stats ?

Probably the same move set as the Murakumo wth less damage on a quality build but has bleed, not sure. Random drop as well I think.

Ogawa-san

Just saw a "gank squad" trio type fight on the roof of a castle then just noped and run right past them. I normally want to try everything but those ds2 fights soured me.
You're missing out on some nice drops. Plus they have far less health and can be cheesed around corners and pillars, it's far less annoying than DS2's gank squad.

Two more bosses down. Spoilers up to U
ntended
G
raves

O
ceiros
, the C
onsumed
K
ing
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DnhTjn2pyo

This boss is creepy as hell. This was first try, and I totally destroy him in phase 1, but it takes me several near deaths to get used to the speed of his attacks in phase 2. Once I made the adjustment, I pretty convincingly wreck the last bit of the 2nd phase as well.

C
hampion
G
undyr
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_oTLqjsfo

Alright, alright, alright. Now THIS is a proper duel. None of that giant-black-snake-bursts-out-of-my-body-halfway-through nonsense. This took a few tries, and I definitely feel like a shield would've made this fight easier. Also, I forgot to try my fire buff on ANOTHER boss. May or may not have helped, but whatever

J-Skee

It took me way too long to realize that arrows are amazing. Holy crap. I might finally be able to clear the area I'm stuck in.

Shmuppers

Wow. The N
ameless King
phase 1 is one of the worst fights. The camera is atrocious. You unlock the camera and then have to relock
when he goes up.
I'm constantly fumbling with dodge and the right analog stick to adjust the camera. What a nightmare. The worst part is when the boss is clipping through the whole wall you came in. There is a easy way to down the
dragon, but I often times miss his open mouth or my sword clips through his head.
The second phase is pretty cool though, still haven't killed him yet. I have two questions regarding this fight:

Phase 1:
What are you supposed to do when he does his fire breath? I can't get away fast enough and it staggers you.

Phase 2:
I'm ok with dodging his attacks for the most part but I'm doing so little damage that it's just a drag and not fun. I'm level 90 currently. Should I come back later? Or am I missing something?
I'm probably too defensive.

1:
roll into the fire, towards his head.
Attack
2: definitely not a problem of level, could be your weapon not being upgraded or lightning (has high lightning resistance)

Meccs

Phase 1:
Don't stand below the dragon. The camera is not equipped to be under there and he only does the flying up in the air flame attack if you are directly beneath him. Also your damage there blows. You want to be standing in front of the dragon dodging the Nameless King's attacks as he makes them and then hitting the head when it's vulnerable (when it breathes fire, run straight in and you can get a lot of damage off). Keep your eyes on the Nameless King, his attacks are highly telegraphed and pretty easy to dodge.

Phase 2:
This one is Fume Knight 2.0. Learn his attacks and dodge dodge dodge. You have to just chip away at him for the first half of the fight. During the second half of the fight he'll do a thing where he charges up. Just lay into him and you can trigger a stagger that will let you follow up with a critical attack. If you were able to get him to phase 2, you have this one.

Took me over an hour to beat this guy and I think he's honestly one of the best fights in the series, both in the presentation of the fight and the mechanics.
Yes, the second phase is awesome I just hate the first one because of the camera. I'm hitting the right part of him but still get caught in the
fire
sometimes. I stopped playing now. I have to try tomorrow. Too tired.

1:
roll into the fire, towards his head.
Attack
2: definitely not a problem of level, could be your weapon not being upgraded or lightning (has high lightning resistance)
Claymore +8 and Dark Sword +7. I mainly use the Dark Sword for phase because of the quicker attacks. Might try a different approach.

zma1013

After finishing Dark Souls III and loving every minute of it I decided to try Dark Souls I and that was a mistake, it's just so bad in comparison. I know I may get death threats for this but hear me out. I think if I could rewind time and play the series in order, without having experienced Bloodborne and Dark Souls III I would have liked it more, but now it just feels really slow and clunky with some truly "anti fun" mechanics (like the curse which halves your HP until you speak to the NPC, I much prefer how it's handled in DS3 or the Ghosts which you can't attack without a cursed weapon or consumable which are expensive for the level and limited). I really, really tried to like it, I have about 10 hours into it but I wasn't having fun for most of that time and now I've just thrown in the towel for good. Also the port isn't good at all even with DSFix. Oh and no fast travel really did rustle my jimmies.

*Begins blocking*

Curse is a joke now in DS1 because you can just buy a purging stone from an early vendor right before the place where you are most likely to be cursed. Also, curse ends up solving one of your other issues funny enough so its not a wholly bad thing.

Slow does not make it clunky. Every action you can do is tight and responsive, you just have to make a commitment to your actions. That is the game. The enemies are far slower than anything you see in Bloodborne or DS3, so they match the games speed.

Soma

npc question for
greirat

sent him to irithyll and he hasn't come back for two bosses. safe to assume this dude is dead?

ogbg

Yeah on PC. He rolled around all day, both me and my friend we chased him down the long bridge at the start of the Undead valley (the area right after you raide the banner) He sprinted the whole way, I ran out of stam like 1/3 across the bridge, he started where Yoel of Londor was. First souls online experience. Each time I start a coop session with a friend we get invaded, we've beaten the other invaders but that guy was on another level, probably not legit is my guess.

I joined the Blue covenant, it says it should help defend me against invaders, any idea how that's supposed to work ?

I've come across one obvious cheater during like 15 hours of duels who was summoning reds and then one-shotting them with a crossbow. I wasn't even mad because it was kind of hilarious but I hope it's not going to become too bad or I'll just go back to my Japanese PS4 version.

You should get a Blue Sentinel joining but you may be a bit too low level right now to catch any since people join that covenant a bit later.

Scher

I joined the Blue covenant, it says it should help defend me against invaders, any idea how that's supposed to work ?

What Way of the Blue does is if you're invaded, it will then try to summon someone from the Blue Sentinels or Darkmoon Blade covenant to help you fight off the invader.

That has been my last three days. Terrible . haven't seen a friendly summon sign in ages, and I can't seem to be summoned either.
I'm not as bad as you. It just takes 5+min to be summoned with summon signs being rare.
Was your account flagged for having "invalid data"? My wife's Japanese Steam account was flagged last night, and today "penalized" for "breaking the terms of online play" even though she never actually played the game. Never even created her first character, mind you.

No invalid data for me. Though maybe being level 49 at Ithryll valley is too low level for most players. Maybe using borderless gaming put me in the cheating pool of players?

Zophar

After finishing Dark Souls III and loving every minute of it I decided to try Dark Souls I and that was a mistake, it's just so bad in comparison. I know I may get death threats for this but hear me out. I think if I could rewind time and play the series in order, without having experienced Bloodborne and Dark Souls III I would have liked it more, but now it just feels really slow and clunky with some truly "anti fun" mechanics (like the curse which halves your HP until you speak to the NPC, I much prefer how it's handled in DS3 or the Ghosts which you can't attack without a cursed weapon or consumable which are expensive for the level and limited). I really, really tried to like it, I have about 10 hours into it but I wasn't having fun for most of that time and now I've just thrown in the towel for good. Also the port isn't good at all even with DSFix. Oh and no fast travel really did rustle my jimmies.

*Begins blocking*

Funny enough, a lot of DS3's best quality of life enhancements were already made in DS2; things like splitting stamina and equip burden in your stats, simplifying upgrade paths and infusions dramatically, the change to curse you mentioned, even the leeway with the fastroll working all the way up to 70% encumbrance -- but you'll never get the DS2 haters to admit that.

E92 M3

I seem to get them a lot during pvp. Just do that and it will come naturally.

EDIT: Pretty sure you don't have to actually be donning the Darkmoon emblem to get the drops. Just kill invaders of any kind using the fastest method.

I've tried that (and do a lot pf PVP as well). You're telling me you get darkmoon items from just regular PVP? That covenant doesn't autosummon at all.

zma1013

Funny enough, a lot of DS3's best quality of life enhancements were already made in DS2; things like splitting stamina and equip burden in your stats, simplifying upgrade paths and infusions dramatically, the change to curse you mentioned, even the leeway with the fastroll working all the way up to 70% encumbrance -- but you'll never get the DS2 haters to admit that.

I'll admit it, DS2 made improvements to aspects of the game, for sure. Its just that those improvements were far outweighed by its problems.

well i decided to go ahead and finish it as i looked it up and was only a few hours from the end anyway.

2 stand out bosses for me.

Visually, D
ancer
was amazing. The camera ruined it for me enjoyment wise though.

D
ragonslayer
A
rmour
was prob my favourite. It only took 3 attempts but it was a straight up classic souls boss fight and I really liked it.

I solo'd everything but the last boss because I just wanted to finish the game in the end. I got it to
phase 2 on about attempt 4, it then combo'd me for my entire health bar and I just decided I cant be bothered with this one. So I solo'd 2 dudes and we went to town on him. Was actually really fun.

Overall prob the best souls game on a technical level but it borrows so much from the others that I just found myself losing interest. Anyone who has never played a souls game and find they enjoy the gameplay, I imagine will love this game though.

1183323920049.jpg

Seriously I don't know how people can tolerate these NPCs anymore, it's not even the questlines, the lines are barely there. I can't believe that the firekeeper has so few lines, like I just can't. The one NPC you will always go back to, and she repeats a single line for the most of the game...why. If there is one thing that needs to evolve in the Souls games it's the NPCs, either get completely rid of them and go all in with the desolate theme, or actually start improving them.

But I guess people will just watch Vaati's videos where he'll wrap it all in a nice bow with a bunch of fanfiction. I'm at least glad that one of the boss fights in this game spits directly into the face of one of the biggest and most popular fanfiction stories that has been constantly been propagated online, even though there was barely anything concrete to it.

Can anyone explain this to me? Mildly curious as I have a few friends that are obsessed with said fan fic, but I've never bothered to read it so I've not picked up on this in game.

Jolkien

I've come across one obvious cheater during like 15 hours of duels who was summoning reds and then one-shotting them with a crossbow. I wasn't even mad because it was kind of hilarious but I hope it's not going to become too bad or I'll just go back to my Japanese PS4 version.

You should get a Blue Sentinel joining but you may be a bit too low level right now to catch any since people join that covenant a bit later.

What Way of the Blue does is if you're invaded, it will then try to summon someone from the Blue Sentinels or Darkmoon Blade covenant to help you fight off the invader.

Thanks for the precision guys. Any recommended weapon to upgrade ? I'm probably gonna go for a strength build, I started as a knight. I'm using a Broadsword right now.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah as an "outsider" DS2 seems to add some serious QoL that I would appreciate for sure.

BTW guys, here's a video of where I was when I quit, well before I went back to base and entered the Ghost area which was the final straw lol. I just felt super weak, was I doing something massively wrong? Maybe a mechanic I missed that isn't in DS3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3GTdMb8JxM

MilkBeard

I've tried that (and do a lot pf PVP as well). You're telling me you get darkmoon items from just regular PVP? That covenant doesn't autosummon at all.

I think so. Otherwise I somehow got enough to rank up one time and have a few extra in the course of my playtime by drops and the few times I've done Blademoon pvp.

There are a few areas that are better for blademoon summoning for sure, it's probably a good idea to hang around
Anor Londo
Lothric Castle
Irithyll dungeon
and some of the other late game areas, that's where I've gotten the most.

Ideally you just put it on and go through the game, and eventually you will get summoned. Don't forget to set your matchmaking to global as well.

People really dont want to fight the
nameless king
alone.

I've solo'd every Soulsbourne boss so far, and I'm not about to ruin that streak. Honestly I'm surprised so many people summon, seems like there would be some sense of dedication to finishing the game on your own.

Booshka

Thanks for the precision guys. Any recommended weapon to upgrade ? I'm probably gonna go for a strength build, I started as a knight. I'm using a Broadsword right now.

Restart as Warrior, better stats for STR build. Heavy Battle Axe, Greataxe, Heavy Broadsword. Pretty much anything that upgrades to at least B scaling in STR is viable.

Put the rest of your stats into VGR and END.

Buburibon

I'm not as bad as you. It just takes 5+min to be summoned with summon signs being rare.

No invalid data for me. Though maybe being level 49 at Ithryll valley is too low level for most players. Maybe using borderless gaming put me in the cheating pool of players?

You should be fine if you haven't gotten any warning messages. There's a ton of speculation around what may cause the false positives, including server issues, but no one knows for sure yet. I have used borderless window tools with DSIII for testing purposes, and my account hasn't been flagged, so you should be safe.

Wagram

I've solo'd every Soulsbourne boss so far, and I'm not about to ruin that streak. Honestly I'm surprised so many people summon, seems like there would be some sense of dedication to finishing the game on your own.

The only way to play for me in my opinion. I don't look down on others for the summons, but I could never see myself doing it.

sora87

I feel
Nameless
is the hardest boss in the game. He took me quite a few tries; while
Champion Gundyr
I beat first try.

I beat
Gundyr
pretty easy too. I've not had trouble with a boss that's lasted longer than one night. I literally cannot beat
nameless king
no matter what I do.

ogbg

Restart as Warrior, better stats for STR build. Heavy Battle Axe, Greataxe, Heavy Broadsword. Pretty much anything that upgrades to at least B scaling in STR is viable.

Put the rest of your stats into VGR and END.

Restarting is a bit dramatic, lol

Grisby

Like something is wrong. As soon as you hit x, it says unable to summon. Like, the instant you do it.

The game doesn't even have to think about letting you have some help.

You should be fine if you haven't gotten any warning messages. There's a ton of speculation around what may cause the false positives, including server issues, but no one knows for sure yet. I have used borderless window tools with DSIII for testing purposes, and my account hasn't been flagged, so you should be safe.

Actually signs appear again like normal after I leveled up to 53 and upgraded my weapon.

Gurrry

Finished the game today minus
the archdrake area
, and Ill just say it now.

They better make dark souls 4 and beyond.

I love these damn games and I dont want them to end. Dont leave us hanging Bamco.

MilkBeard

I just got summoned as a Blade of the Darkmoon in
Lothric Castle
as I wrote my previous post.

I think the key here is determining where people will be using it in relation to how far you've upgraded your weapons.

Upgrading your weapons will lock you out of lower level PvP, so ideally, if you have upgraded them pretty far then you should hang around later areas.

EDIT: Just got summoned again. This is a good area for BoD.

Dartastic

So if I'm going a dex build, what's the best weapon that I should focus on? Right now I'm using the Uchigatana and the ice sword that you get when riding the elevator down and fighting that weird ice dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom