• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain this to me? Mildly curious as I have a few friends that are obsessed with said fan fic, but I've never bothered to read it so I've not picked up on this in game.
In DS1 you're never told who exactly is Gwyn's first born son. Many players then created the fiction that it was Solaire due to a vague item description.

DS3 makes it clear that it's
Nameless King

Ogawa-san

you can (and should) fight them individually
Weird. I'd shot one all the way from the door, it'd come to me and then the other two would follow the moment the fight started.

Even with summons it's impossible :(
It's much, much easier when you don't have his undivided attention. But more than one summon and he goes back to being harder, on top of the extra health with 3~4 people around you rarely know who the hell he's aiming at.

The easiest time I had with him so far was when I was summoned by someone using sorceries. I'd keep him busy while he was being nuked to hell by someone that could just stand there and shoot.

p3n

Can anyone explain this to me? Mildly curious as I have a few friends that are obsessed with said fan fic, but I've never bothered to read it so I've not picked up on this in game.

Minor lore spoiler:
Solaire is NOT Gwyn's firstborn. You actually fight the firstborn in DS3.

After finishing Dark Souls III and loving every minute of it I decided to try Dark Souls I and that was a mistake, it's just so bad in comparison. I know I may get death threats for this but hear me out. I think if I could rewind time and play the series in order, without having experienced Bloodborne and Dark Souls III I would have liked it more, but now it just feels really slow and clunky with some truly "anti fun" mechanics (like the curse which halves your HP until you speak to the NPC, I much prefer how it's handled in DS3 or the Ghosts which you can't attack without a cursed weapon or consumable which are expensive for the level and limited). I really, really tried to like it, I have about 10 hours into it but I wasn't having fun for most of that time and now I've just thrown in the towel for good. Also the port isn't good at all even with DSFix. Oh and no fast travel really did rustle my jimmies.

*Begins blocking*

Get the Dark Wood Grain Ring and the Great Scythe. See how you like it then. Regardless, I can understand where you're coming from. No need to be ashamed of feeling that way. :]

sixghost

So I died to the boss after beating A
dritch
, without lighting the bonfire. Did I just ruin my save? I don't see that place on the bonfire list, and I have no idea where it is.

How do I beat the frost knight that you have to fight before entering the Road of Sacrifices? I get beaten to a pulp if I make 1 mistake and he's so damn fast.

How early can I change my character's appearance? Really regret making my girl swole (she's a warrior, so I thought, hey, it would make more sense for her to be toned, but I ended up hating that choice) and I need to change her hairstyle.

Gurrry

So I died to the boss after beating A
dritch
, without lighting the bonfire. Did I just ruin my save? I don't see that place on the bonfire list, and I have no idea where it is.

No, you need to go to the
boreal valley boss bonfire (the ice boss you fight near the beginning) and walk across past the knights.

Gurrry

Holy shit, how the fuck am I reasonably expected to beat
Pontiff
by myself?

Jesus fucking christ!

keep circling him over and over again and take hits when you can, dont get greedy

then when
his shadow form comes out
... gl hf

E92 M3

I think so. Otherwise I somehow got enough to rank up one time and have a few extra in the course of my playtime by drops and the few times I've done Blademoon pvp.

There are a few areas that are better for blademoon summoning for sure, it's probably a good idea to hang around
Anor Londo
Lothric Castle
Irithyll dungeon
and some of the other late game areas, that's where I've gotten the most.

Ideally you just put it on and go through the game, and eventually you will get summoned. Don't forget to set your matchmaking to global as well.

What is your level?

ExVicis

So I'm tired of how I built myself with having points all over and in strength (which I'm realizing I put way too many in) so I'm deciding to do those Dex/Luck builds since this character started at Thief class. Let me ask, the basics behind it is getting a Dex Weapon with Bleed? Will a Carthus Shotel work?

I'm at least glad that one of the boss fights in this game spits directly into the face of one of the biggest and most popular fanfiction stories that has been constantly been propagated online
I never enjoyed that theory. It never made sense to me that Solaire would be a god but still would roam all over his dad's ruined Kingdom as happy go lucky as he was initially.

How do I beat the frost knight that you have to fight before entering the Road of Sacrifices? I get beaten to a pulp if I make 1 mistake and he's so damn fast.

How early can I change my character's appearance? Really regret making my girl swole (she's a warrior, so I thought, hey, it would make more sense for her to be toned, but I ended up hating that choice) and I need to change her hairstyle.

So there is this lift...... If that frost enemy is coming after you and you time it right.... You go up, he goes down.... You win.

I yelled "dark souls baby" when it happened.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I solo'd that shit like a boss. It's definitely a boss designed to be co-op'd, but if your character is strong enough, can be managed solo.

Took me a few tries. It felt more like fighting game mechanics than an enemy tbh.

Even with summons it's impossible :(

You can do it. It's definitely a fight where playing patiently is a good idea.

I've solo'd every Soulsbourne boss so far, and I'm not about to ruin that streak. Honestly I'm surprised so many people summon, seems like there would be some sense of dedication to finishing the game on your own.

I've gotten 24 sunlight medals on him alone. To be honest I can see why people summon for that particular fight.

Pontiff
by myself?

Jesus fucking christ!

He's not too bad. Stay on his ass as much as possible, and get behind him. Mash away. Aggressiveness is key. Try a fast weapon if you aren't using one already.

sixghost

Pontiff
by myself?

Jesus fucking christ!

I gave up after a 5 or 6 tries and just started parrying. You can reliably get a parry at the very beginning of the fight when he lunges to you, and it's not that hard to parry on his slow overhead attack. There are a few other attacks that are very long sequences which you can parry as well. Not saying this is easy, but that's how I did it. Once he starts splitting, you need to run up and do as much damage to the clone and him as possible. If you're strong enough you can practically kill the clone before the split even completes.

I have literally no idea how you could solo this boss with a dodge heavy character. All his attacks are so fast, and he barely gives you any time to counter attack. Maybe heavy shield characters do better? I don't know.

kagamin

I gave up after a 5 or 6 tries and just started parrying. You can reliably get a parry at the very beginning of the fight when he lunges to you, and it's not that hard to parry on his slow overhead attack. There are a few other attacks that are very long sequences which you can parry as well. Not saying this is easy, but that's how I did it. Once he starts splitting, you need to run up and do as much damage to the clone and him as possible. If you're strong enough you can practically kill the clone before the split even completes.

I have literally no idea how you could solo this boss with a dodge heavy character. All his attacks are so fast, and he barely gives you any time to counter attack. Maybe heavy shield characters do better? I don't know.

The only boss I was forced to parry, honestly felt like I couldn't survive the first phase without parrying.

zma1013

Getting real tired of summons not working.

I think theres just so many people playing that many times you will press summon and they have already been summoned by someone else so it fails if you catch it late. Several times ive put my sign down and i am immediately summoned, like barely enough time for my thumb to get off the button.

Lol!

Was getting absolutely steamrolled by P
ontiff
, unable to ever drop him below like a 10th of his health. Had a hard time getting any hits in. Finally equipped a shield and uchigatana and learned to parry him. Fucking destroyed him and beat him my first try ever getting to phase two. Get fucked

I need to parry more often, I got too used to two handing. Loved it in Bloodborne but could never get a grasp on it in Souls games (to be fair though I never tried much after failing initially)

Portugeezer

Pontiff
by myself?

Jesus fucking christ!

Just be aggressive, the bonfire is right next to it. I had trouble, but once I stopped trying to block and dodge everything and started focussing on doing damage, I beat him.

ZangBa

I don't know, I assumed I couldn't parry any boss so I just dodged everything and I beat him my first try, probably one of the easier bosses in the game for me. Most of his attacks just whiff anyway.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
That dark sword should be Heavy infused btw. Yhorm's Great Machete, Dragonslayer Greataxe are two fantastic STR boss weapons, they are very heavy though.

This really depends on how much dex and str the character has. It takes very little additional dex for the regular dark sword to outperform the heavy version.

MrHoot

Oh man the
Twin Prince
GreatSword is fucking BEAAAAST. Thanks for the gaffer who revealed you could couple them, because it's just....man what a weapon.

Doesn't have the best scaling but does substantial base physical + fire damage, and it's moveset is just out of this world. With stance, R1 is a long range stinger, R2 is a big frontal fire swipe with hyperarmor.

This sword in pvp is just incredibly fun to use

Ferrio

Banned
Pontiff
by myself?

Jesus fucking christ!

I sunbro'ed a few times to help other people while getting a better feel for the fight. Then tried him again solo and kicked his ass.

I don't know, I assumed I couldn't parry any boss so I just dodged everything and I beat him my first try, probably one of the easier bosses in the game for me. Most of his attacks just whiff anyway.

Yup. Phase you you can just hold shield up amd circle strafe him at point blank range. He will hit with 1 attack then wiff on follow up. Once phase 2 starts, beat down the clone then go back to starting tactic.

Or just parry the shit out of him if your good at that.

I am currently at Archdragon Peak' s boss. Can' t beat it, can' t summon people either. It always gives error as i try to summon people though i had no problem with summoning people in other areas. Is there anyone on PS4 who can help me beat him? (I think we can meet up regardless of the level requirements via password option)

Edit: My PSN is abysswalker71 if anyone wants to add.

sixghost

This is the weirdest thing to hear. I tried to play behind him on the first couple attempts, and he just kept doing this quick turn around attack, followed up by his normal onslaught.

K' Dash

This is the weirdest thing to hear. I tried to play behind him on the first couple attempts, and he just kept doing this quick turn around attack, followed up by his normal onslaught.

if you stay to help enough people after you beat a boss you will find out that some get lucky enough to never see some of the attacks.

Booshka

Quoting for new page :p

I would stay at SL 100, it's early enough in this game that the meta hasn't been sorted out. Also, unless you are a hybrid build using pyro, magic or faith, SL 100 is plenty.

I also suggest optimizing a build for SL 50-70 for random invasions. You will get plenty of action and practice in random invasions. With the activity as high as it is, it's a great time to be a mid level invader.

Pontiff
by myself?

Jesus fucking christ!

Practice, parry and always roll TOWARDS him. His combos are pretty pattern based, always roll under the long windup chop.

His second phase makes it a lot easier to tell what he's about to do. Good luck, man!

MilkBeard

I would stay at SL 100, it's early enough in this game that the meta hasn't been sorted out. Also, unless you are a hybrid build using pyro, magic or faith, SL 100 is plenty.

I also suggest optimizing a build for SL 50-70 for random invasions. You will get plenty of action and practice in random invasions. With the activity as high as it is, it's a great time to be a mid level invader.

Yeah I have a feeling that the SL will be less than 120 for pvp like it was in Dark Souls. Right now staying lower is probably better because the game is still new.

EDIT: There's going to be a bigger focus on weapon level as well, as it is now tied to PvP as well. We will see.

DukeBobby

Somehow managed to kill (late-game boss)
Lorian and Lothric
on my first try, yet Dark Souls 3's Pinwheel,
Deacons of the Deep
, managed to kill me twice.

These games sure are funny like that.

E92 M3

I'm currently at 79. For a while I was running around with a +8 weapon but I've recently gotten it to plus +10.

EDIT: I'm gonna do some tests to see which areas I get summons and how frequently.

I'm at 100, so not too much further away. Maybe it will creep up eventually.

MilkBeard

I'm at 100, so not too much further away. Maybe it will creep up eventually.

Yeah, you might be leveled over most people. I think I just outleveled a lot of PvP stuff because I upgraded my weapon to a +10.

The area between
Pontiff and Anor Londo
is the best place for PvP currently, from what I've seen, and I had a hard time even getting summoned for co op just now. usually it happens in a second.

Lol. I just tried to get a 2v2/2v3 going by trying to deliberately get a Blue Sentinel around as a Way of Blue, but it just ended up being a 1v3 against red phantoms with the covenant not working.

1v3 against red phantoms actually seems really doable compared to fighting a team of coop players though, because red phantoms have team damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom