• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT2| Welcome to NG+, Unkindled One

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Opaque-

Fuck those bird zombie people. Alone they're fine but in groups, they go crazy and start beating me to a pulp. My stamina goes straight to 0 and I die. I'm having a hard time killing the crazy woman with the butcher's knife, she seems to always perfectly execute a riposte and 1 hit kill me. I managed to parry and riposte her once, but the timing is so tough, most of the time the blow just glances off my shield.

Zombie birdies: from memory you can pull them individually with a bow/crossbow, also ramboing into them can work well if you have enough damage to kill them before they spaz out.

Crazy woman: Keep your distance then stab/cut/slice her when she's either sharpening the knife or she's done the move where she's pounded it onto the ground with both hands, she won't be able to riposte

Timeaisis

Had to summon for
Lothric
. What a cheap boss, goddamn camera is more the boss than he is. I could dodge everything but sometimes you just loose lock on and get killed.

I feel like the bosses in this game are way cheaper than previous ones. I've always felt bosses were tough but fair, not so much in DS3. They feel gimmicky and cheap.

Zombie birdies: from memory you can pull them individually with a bow/crossbow, also ramboing into them can work well if you have enough damage to kill them before they spaz out.

Crazy woman: Just keeping distance then smacking her when she's either sharpening the knife or she's done the move where she's pounded it onto the ground with both hands, she won't be able to riposte

Also, if there happens to be a hole to nowhere between you and the birdos they'll probably jump in. I don't know the name of the "leader" that often accompanies them but I figured out that if you attack that guy enough he will eventually emit a loud noise that turns all the birdos into flappy birdos and then they all go kamikaze on your ass. Usually funny.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
help guys, I need variation that's really good. I've got the following so far:

STR/DEX broadsword, NG++
STR fume UGS, NG++
DEX uchi, NG+
INT/FTH, NG+
LCK/VIG only, NG+
Low level, NG+

More plz - nothing that involves spells please.

gunstarhero

Ug. Any tips on beating that frosty dog boss near the start of the game? He's just kicking my ass left and right.

Using a +2 uchigatana

-Opaque-

I'm still wondering the the dark sword is better off heavy on an STR build or refined on a quality build. The quality build probably eventually wins at 60/60, but dat A strength scaling

E92 M3

Had to summon for
Lothric
. What a cheap boss, goddamn camera is more the boss than he is. I could dodge everything but sometimes you just loose lock on and get killed.

I feel like the bosses in this game are way cheaper than previous ones. I've always felt bosses were tough but fair, not so much in DS3. They feel gimmicky and cheap.

Not cheap at all; the bosses are just more technically involved than in the previous Souls games.

I love the bosses in this game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
What do you do with a Dex build after hitting your base marks - 40 Dex, 30 vigor, 40 endurance? Pumping more dex gives minimal returns, seemingly, even on S-scaling weapons. I find it hard to resist going 40 str for quality build while using Dex weapons but that loses some of the "flavor". I have been noticing that Bleed is super strong though, so maybe pumping up Luck would be worth it at this point? It's fun doing NK as a phantom and seeing that health bar show like 2500 damage in a few seconds.

Dmax3901

I've been using the Irithyll Longsword and really feeling it (/Shulk). But I would like to move on, any other good longswords for a sword and board STR build?

-Opaque-

Ug. Any tips on beating that frosty dog boss near the start of the game? He's just kicking my ass left and right.

Using a +2 uchigatana

Stage 1: Just keep under/behind him, he can't hit you and you can lay into him

Stage 2: Get used to dodging the charges he does. You can also use a 100% physical block shield, it'll break your guard when it hits but you'll recover before he does the next charge. Try to get behind him when he starts swinging, but be careful cause he'll be able to hit you sometimes (roll roll roll!). If he does the frost breath get behind him and hit him with a charged R2 and whatever else you can before he turns around and tries to maul you.

The Flash

Banned
I think I messed up
Anri's questline
. I'm trying to do the
"true" ending
and I've done everything correctly so far but when I went to the
Catacombs of Carthus
she didn't show up where it says she's supposed to.

Using a +2 uchigatana

He telegraphs his moves, roll, stay behind him and then attack 2-3 times. Rinse and repeat. If he charges around disengage lock and try to get behind him again.

Zocano

help guys, I need variation that's really good. I've got the following so far:

STR/DEX broadsword, NG++
STR fume UGS, NG++
DEX uchi, NG+
INT/FTH, NG+
LCK/VIG only, NG+
Low level, NG+

More plz - nothing that involves spells please.

Fist weapons. Rush caestus until demon fist.

Using a +2 uchigatana

Dodging was the only reason I got through it. His second phase is much more aggressive, but easily punished once he's all combo'd out. So long as you can recognise and avoid that horrible crawling dash move he does it shouldn't be too taxing to defeat him while dodge his blows. For this reason, I'd recommend twohanding your katana rather than carrying a shield.

Good luck!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fist weapons. Rush caestus until demon fist.
Holy fuck, you're a genius

You got any builds which path I should infuse?

Zocano

Holy fuck, you're a genius

You got any builds which path I should infuse?

Haven't messed around too much with them but I feel refined/quality on the whole is better than sharp or heavy. Depending on how much you care for vigor, it might be difficult to hit high dex/str and stay somewhat low level.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Parry is so damn inconsistent compared to DS.

DSII parry was an abomination, and while DSIII parry at least feels like DS, which is great, it's just so inconsistent. And even scrub enemies have attacks you, for whatever fucking reason, cannot parry. It's infuriating.

And because every pvp encounter feels like it's taking place in a pool of soup (where hits proceed their actual animation and player position might as well be a blindfolded game of pin the tail on the donkey) backstabs are next to impossible.

Dex characters are nerfed to fuck here, unless you want to two-hand a katana or whatever like 99% of pvp'ers. So boring.

Jolkien

Any other use for bosses souls besides exchanging them for items ? They don't appear that useful so far, I'm guessing I'm missing something.

Just scared the poop out of myself. Was exploring A
nor Londo
while waiting for invasions with Aldritch Faithful. Saw the big ass thing hanging from the roof from the top floor and shot it down. It dropped safely down to the bottom level then I got summoned a few times. Every time I got back I saw it drop down again safely to the bottom floor, but then I guess it decided that it had enough and dropped down on the top floor and on me.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
Had to summon for
Lothric

I feel the opposite. While some bosses make the camera issues apparent, most didn't have that problem. What kind of problematic gimmicks are you referring to?

Veelk

Banned
Are any gems worth it for higher level characters?

The higher level my level goes, the more the base damage goes down and the boosted scaling doesn't compensate for it. The numbers just don't add up, so am I missing something, or are gems just worthless on the Greatsword for some reason?

Also, how much damage will I be doing if I add a magic game (fire/magic/dark, whatever) if I have low levels in int/faith? Does that makes the damage better or worse?

Asking again, hoping to get clarification on if Gems are actually supposed to be useless

Gorillaz

I will say that while they did better with not having enemies completely turn on a dime and track you like DS2 it is still pretty noticeable that they do track a bit. I noticed this a bit in the beginning but by the time I reached "valley" it started to seem too noticeable. They still don't understand that part of the design since 2 huh.

kagamin

Parry is so damn inconsistent compared to DS.

DSII parry was an abomination, and while DSIII parry at least feels like DS, which is great, it's just so inconsistent. And even scrub enemies have attacks you, for whatever fucking reason, cannot parry. It's infuriating.

And because every pvp encounter feels like it's taking place in a pool of soup (where hits proceed their actual animation and player position might as well be a blindfolded game of pin the tail on the donkey) backstabs are next to impossible.

Dex characters are nerfed to fuck here, unless you want to two-hand a katana or whatever like 99% of pvp'ers. So boring.

Parrying is based on stamina loss like Dark Souls II iirc.

And curved swords are still really good, I've been using one for PVP and been doing quite well despite being SL50. Honestly after the one-hit kill backstabs of vanilla Dark Souls II I'm glad they nerfed backstab and make you focus more on roll punishing.

-Opaque-

Asking again, hoping to get clarification on if Gems are actually supposed to be useless

From anecdotal experiance it seems like you need to be serious about pumping stats for refined/sharp/heavy. I haven't gotten things to +9 or +10 yet but if you're at that point and are at the soft caps for the associated stats then I'd say so (which is a bit disappointing if so)

psychotron

Am I over leveled? I beat
Crystal Sage
and just made my way though
Farrons Keep
with ease. I'm about to face
Abyss Watchers
and I'm level 45. My +4 heavy dark sword is owning everything.

mstevens

Okay I just got a dark sword.. Planning on going str build. What do I infuse? Or would it be better to go quality?

Also does yellow finger invade again after the woods? I heard he might be in the next area

Just killed yellow finger in the next area, so that's confirmed

caesar

Banned
Am I over leveled? I beat
Crystal Sage
and just made my way though
Farrons Keep
with ease. I'm about to face
Abyss Watchers
and I'm level 45. My +4 heavy dark sword is owning everything.
No, sounds about right. Game gets harder soonish.

I will say that while they did better with not having enemies completely turn on a dime and track you like DS2 it is still pretty noticeable that they do track a bit. I noticed this a bit in the beginning but by the time I reached "valley" it started to seem too noticeable. They still don't understand that part of the design since 2 huh.
It's no where near as disgusting as it was in DS2. Some mobs do track a bit, but it's not some swivel bullshit.

It depends on the weapon. Some weapons have better scaling than others. Like if you can put sharp on a weapon that gets S scaling with the gem then it's going to become worth it at lower dex than a weapon with C scaling. Or you could just mod a weapon that has bad scaling to raw or fire then just forget about levelling str or dex.

Veelk

Banned
It depends on the weapon. Some weapons have better scaling than others. Like if you can put sharp on a weapon that gets S scaling with the gem then it's going to become worth it at lower dex than a weapon with C scaling. Or you could just mod a weapon that has bad scaling to raw or fire then just forget about levelling str or dex.

Well, the Greatsword is in a weird place where scaling is just barely more effective than gems, so either making it raw or using heavy refined makes it worse. Hold on, I'll get pics.

Edit:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgh6NMzWgAAtyPw.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cgh6Rs8W4AAoTVJ.jpg:large

I think I see the problem. The Greatsword has C scaling in BOTH STR and DEX. I've put points into both (40 and 31 respectively).

If I make it either a heavy or refined greatsword, I essentially lose one scaling for an upgrade in the other, which averages out to a lower score.

But if I lose scaling in both, the Raw doesn't up the base damage enough.

So it seems for me the greatsword isn't modifiable :/

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
15th boss,
Champion Gundyr
, down. He was a bitch. Fourth boss I've summoned for. I struggle with the fast, aggressive humanoid bosses. I just don't have the timing or patience for learning the patterns and getting a hit in here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom