• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fucking Great Hollow, man. So far, I would say the opponents in this game have been pretty easy. But I've died from falling more times than I can count in this place. It doesn't help that I scour each area for loot, and end up falling to my death in my effort to obtain it. ;_;

Insaniac

IJoel said:
I'm curious about something I've noticed recently. Every now and then a small ring of light will show up briefly, then disappear. What does it mean?

Those rings of lights are where other players have cast miracles. Supposedly casting a miracle on that spot will increase the power of your miracle

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
So the FROM software thing who was plaguing people early? Was it just a high level phantom? Or was it some monster from the game showing up in people's games?

it was from software themselves

IrishNinja

oh my god i hate these fucking archers in ando londor.

i'm trying this shit but it's not working. dude on the right takes his sword out, even stabs me, i walk back over to the middle ledge that i ran up, and boom, he's back to sniping me again.

i need him dead. i don't care what he's carrying, i just dont want to see him again till NG+.

Sullichin

IrishNinja said:

i'm trying this shit but it's not working. dude on the right takes his sword out, even stabs me, i walk back over to the middle ledge that i ran up, and boom, he's back to sniping me again.

i need him dead. i don't care what he's carrying, i just dont want to see him again till NG+.

Instead of running back down the ramp, I stayed right where that right side knight was, and blocked like crazy with my eagle shield. He falls off.

IrishNinja

Sullichin said:
Instead of running back down the ramp, I stayed right where that right side knight was, and blocked like crazy with my eagle shield. He falls off.

huh. i guess i could try that, but it's heavy for me. my current shield (grass whatever one that heals stamina), if i block some of their arrows ill fall right the fuck off.

soldat7

Felix Lighter said:
I love standing near a busy bonfire and seeing players constantly popping in. Such a cool effect that still impresses me after 100+ hours.

That's pretty neat, but the game still seems lifeless, unfortunately. Do we have a date on the patch yet?

Sullichin

IrishNinja said:
huh. i guess i could try that, but it's heavy for me. my current shield (grass whatever one that heals stamina), if i block some of their arrows ill fall right the fuck off.

Don't try to block the arrows, charge toward him and roll through. Then when you're close enough for him to switch to a sword, start blocking and he'll fall off. Dodging that arrow is fucking hard. I hated that part. When you have a slightly larger ledge to step on, that's when you can roll past his arrow.

x3r0123 said:
it was from software themselves

I know. :)
I'm just wondering whether it was a high level phantom or if it was something completely different... there was originally talk of a pyromancy spell that acted much like the gravelord covenant, making other people's games harder JUST BECAUSE... obviously that changed, but I'm wondering what they used to hassle people who got it early. ;)

Sullichin

Ahh got the ring of favor and protection and now have a lightning scythe +3 which is way better than my divine gargogyle halberd + 3. Feels amazing to actually make progress in this game lol.

Gattsu25

Banned
I asked about weapons to move to after the Lightning Spear and I think, internally, I came to the conclusion of the Iaito as my next weapon. My only question is...which?

Fire Iaito ends at 246 / 246 (physical damage / fire damage)
Lightning Iaito ends at 242 / 246 (physical damage / lightning damage)

Which one should I move to (I'm predominately a pyro so I'm leaning toward the fire) and would is needed to upgrade to it?

laika09

Finally reached Blighttown and I finally experienced the thread title first hand! Really, though, it's disappointing anyone would release a game with such horrible and obvious performance issues. I thought maybe the problem would alleviate somewhat when I got past the first section, but it's just as bad, if not worse.

Regardless, I've been using this Drake Sword for far too long and it's starting to feel dated. What should I be looking at in terms of weapons? Is anything I can craft now going to outdamage it? (level 35ish, 20ish strength, 15ish dex)

Mihos

Gold Member
Props to everyone who suggested
Using Havels armor on the 4 kings

beat Seath the scailess first try... I was expecting more
trying to cut his tail off first try made him trivial to the actual battle

this is my game of the year... Although I have been waiting to beat the game until I pop in Arkham City. I have never had a game have me jump up and shout 'YEAH!!!" when beating a boss since old Everquest 1 raids in the Plains expansion.....

Guys, in ash lake there is a tree with a parental mushroom and 3 frogs... and inside there is a corpse with an item over a mushroom in the wall but I cant reach it... how can I get that item?

Gattsu25 said:
I asked about weapons to move to after the Lightning Spear and I think, internally, I came to the conclusion of the Iaito as my next weapon. My only question is...which?

Fire Iaito starts at 246 / 246 (physical damage / fire damage)
Lightning Iaito starts at 242 / 246 (physical damage / lightning damage)

Which one should I move to (I'm predominately a pyro so I'm leaning toward the fire) and would is needed to upgrade to it?

Iaito is the shit. I have a divine +9 and a normal +6.
Move set is awesome. I will be making a +15 one to hit with crystal magic weapon and destroy my enemies. :insert evil laugh:

To answer your questions:

Fire: Bring a +5 iaito to the blacksmith in the catacombs. He will offer to make it fire. Upgrade to +5 using green titanite shards. Bring him large fire ember from demon's ruins, upgrade to +9 using red titanite chunks, to +10 using red titanite slab.

sotodefonk said:
Guys, in ash lake there is a tree with a parental mushroom and 3 frogs... and inside there is a corpse with an item over a mushroom in the wall but I cant reach it... how can I get that item?

Outside of the tree, on the root entrance, you can drop off and onto another open ledge which will take you up -- I believe it's the great magic barrier miracle.

Lightning: Bring a +10 iaito to the blacksmith in anor londo. Upgrade to +4 lightning with titanite chunks. Upgrade to +5 with titanite slab.

Sullichin

Mihos said:

this is my game of the year... Although I have been waiting to beat the game until I pop in Arkham City. I have never had a game have me jump up and shout 'YEAH!!!" when beating a boss since old Everquest 1 raids in the Plains expansion.....

Arkham City provides a different kind of fuck yeah. You're rewarded way more frequently and the game still provides a challenge. I love both games.

Kalnos

Banned
sotodefonk said:
Guys, in ash lake there is a three with a parental mushroom and 3 frogs... and inside there is a corpse with an item over a mushroom in the wall but I cant reach it... how can I get that item?

Path you can walk up inside the tree leads up and around the outside, while outside there's a place to drop down into a hollow branch, IIRC.

So after NG+ I've been monkying around with stuff at max soul level and I'm not particularly happy with how they handled weapon scaling in this game. Generally speaking, the Lightning Weapons should be very powerful at early levels, but should eventually become somewhat outdated because of their lack of stat scaling, similar to the dragon weapons. And yet by and large, they are still the best weapons in the game no matter what soul level. Very few weapons can even come close at max soul level. I mean just in terms of balance, you would think a dev team would/should make the True Greatsword of Astorias the most powerful weapon in the game because of it's weird stat requirements but it simply doesn't scale enough to even come close to cover the gap. Almost all of the boss weapons are sub par.

Yo Gotti

Banned
IrishNinja said:

Why run back? When the dude takes his sword out, kill him.

Mihos said:

Seath was a pushover once I got his tail off. Getting his tail off, however, took me like 25 tries. Once it was off, I cackled with power and promptly tossed 4 great fireballs into his chest watching him burn into nothing. Felt good, man.

Kalnos

Banned
@Mortrialus

They are actually changing weapons that scale with stats sometime within the next week if they're keeping their word.

Zzoram

Alucrid said:
Progress question:

I downed the Gaping Dragon. Where should I go? Blighttown or should I head back to Darkroot Gardens since I haven't really explored that place yet?
Drakeroot Garden for sure. You can farm poison and toxin cures from the tree enemies and you'll want a ton of them for Blighttown.

Gattsu25

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Iaito is the shit. I have a divine +9 and a normal +6.
Move set is awesome. I will be making a +15 one to hit with crystal magic weapon and destroy my enemies. :insert evil laugh:

To answer your questions:

Fire: Bring a +5 iaito to the blacksmith in the catacombs. He will offer to make it fire. Upgrade to +5 using green titanite shards. Bring him large fire ember from demon's ruins, upgrade to +9 using red titanite chunks, to +10 using red titanite slab.

Lightning: Bring a +10 iaito to the blacksmith in anor londo. Upgrade to +4 lightning with titanite chunks. Upgrade to +5 with titanite slab.
Much thanks!!

Seriously, this was exactly what I needed.

corrosivefrost said:
Outside of the tree, on the root entrance, you can drop off and onto another open ledge which will take you up -- I believe it's the great magic barrier miracle.

Thanks a lot, couldnt find any path but I got it now :)

Kalnos

Banned
Mortrialus said:
Good. Any news on what exactly they're changing?

This is all we know so far unfortunately.

Fixes to certain spells and effects:
– Magic Shield, Strong Magic Shield
– Tranquil Walk of Peace
– Ring of Fog, etc.
Unlimited uses of magic and items (bug IIRC)
Regular weapons rebalanced against reinforced weapons
Adjustments to the player matching conditions
Loading problems when switching between maps

Kalnos said:
This is all we know so far unfortunately.
I really wish they would be more specific about what is changing.... I mean, it's not like fans are clamoring for it or anything.

Although, if they told us exactly what they were changing, we would just bitch about what they weren't.

Booshka

PvP'ing in the last area of the game, I summon an invader, when I see him join, I begin to bow, instead of bowing he casts Tranquil Walk miracle then chucks Fireballs at me until I die. Fuck this shit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mortrialus said:
Despite the frighting name and motives, Kaathe is the good ending.
Seemed like it. Nuanced but I hoped I was reading between the lines effectively. Got such a creepy vibe from the other.

Kalnos

Banned
Booshka said:
PvP'ing in the last area of the game, I summon an invader, when I see him join, I begin to bow, instead of bowing he casts Tranquil Walk miracle then chucks Fireballs at me until I die. Fuck this shit.

KuGsj.gif

Kalnos said:
@Mortrialus

They are actually changing weapons that scale with stats sometime within the next week if they're keeping their word.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

lupin23rd said:
At the end of Lost Izalith, not hating the level but the boss fight is driving me nuts. Is there a cheesy way to finish it off?

Run to the first orb, smash. If you die, whatever, it stays dead.
Near the second orb, get far int he corner, snipe with arrows -- easier than dodging the branch to get over there for melee. If you die, fuck it, great.
Drop right in the 3rd time (or circle back to edge middle and run straight at it) -- it should cast fire tempest; dodge the pillars and roll onto the root, keep moving and stab the heart quickly lest it cast fire tempst while you're stuck in the tunnel.

Mortrialus said:
So after NG+ I've been monkying around with stuff at max soul level and I'm not particularly happy with how they handled weapon scaling in this game. Generally speaking, the Lightning Weapons should be very powerful at early levels, but should eventually become somewhat outdated because of their lack of stat scaling, similar to the dragon weapons. And yet by and large, they are still the best weapons in the game no matter what soul level. Very few weapons can even come close at max soul level. I mean just in terms of balance, you would think a dev team would/should make the True Greatsword of Astorias the most powerful weapon in the game because of it's weird stat requirements but it simply doesn't scale enough to even come close to cover the gap. Almost all of the boss weapons are sub par.

This doesn't make sense to me. The amount of damage my static lightning spear +5 does seems much less in NG+ -- you're telling me if I had a scaling weapon, it wouldn't do more than my spear's base damage?

Booshka said:
Fucking lame...

Finally got the forest crest tonight, started grinding. Is it just me or does that sorcerer refuse to do the jump off the cliff trick?

corrosivefrost said:
This doesn't make sense to me. The amount of damage my static lightning spear +5 does seems much less in NG+ -- you're telling me if I had a scaling weapon, it wouldn't do more than my spear's base damage?

For the most part. If you had a scaling weapon, you would still notice weapons becoming less effective in NG+, even more so. I think just based on weapon speed, +5Quelaag's Fury Sword actually has really high DPS, +5 Dragonslayer Spear isn't too bad either. Just based on the items I have right now, nothing hits harder than a +5 Lightning Demon's Machete. Heck, a +5Lightning Demon Machete hits harder than +15 Demon Machete even at max strength by a pretty big margin. That's pretty much par for the course.

Edit: Lightning spear, along with lightning Partizan, are the worst lightning spears. Lightning Winged Spear is quite a bit better.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
I know. :)
I'm just wondering whether it was a high level phantom or if it was something completely different... there was originally talk of a pyromancy spell that acted much like the gravelord covenant, making other people's games harder JUST BECAUSE... obviously that changed, but I'm wondering what they used to hassle people who got it early. ;)

that pyromancer spell to send mobs into other people's world was changed to the gravelord covenant skill. Basically from soft sent a bunch of overpowered phantoms and kill those people that played the game early

Psy-Phi said:
I disagree. The lack of vision gives a serious case of dread and fright that you just can't get with light. And when you find that lantern its the most glorious feeling, until you realize it's that or a shield. Swapping back n forth, using it to see your path for a split second looking for the next thing that might kill you. Then prepping to fight using your memory of what you saw.

My favorite part, even though I died thrice, was the beginning. Never has a game made me so afraid to go on. I was creeping so slowly, and still fell to my undeath. Loved it. This game is for masochists, and that area was the most masochisitic of them all.

The idea behind it was cool, but the implementation I found really annoying and not much fun. The skeleton dogs and narrow walkways were a recipe for cheap deaths. I don't think the lantern mechanic worked very well the way they did it. It amounted to keeping it out until you saw an enemy, put it away, engage and pray you don't fall off the edge because there's no safe place to pull. When I finally got past most parts it was usually because the dogs didn't do their most vicious attack right away; the results of my battle tactics always revolved around this due to the tiny engagement area.

The enemies could be as reckless as they wanted because well, they're enemies and don't care if they die. This seems lazy to me. Obviously if you put a powerful enemy that flails wildly and can destroy your guard in half a second on a tiny walkway it's going to be hard. But it's not the good kind of hard, it's just cheap. The level design just felt haphazard to me overall. I never felt like I was progressing; more putting myself in a serious of precarious situations and hoping the enemies played nice. Again, I thought the idea was neat, but the execution was severely botched.

MomoPufflet said:
The idea behind it was cool, but the implementation I found really annoying and not much fun. The skeleton dogs and narrow walkways were a recipe for cheap deaths. I don't think the lantern mechanic worked very well the way they did it. It amounted to keeping it out until you saw an enemy, put it away, engage and pray you don't fall off the edge because there's no safe place to pull. When I finally got past most parts it was usually because the dogs didn't do their most vicious attack right away; the results of my battle tactics always revolved around this due to the tiny engagement area.

The enemies could be as reckless as they wanted because well, they're enemies and don't care if they die. This seems lazy to me. Obviously if you put a powerful enemy that flails wildly and can destroy your guard in half a second on a tiny walkway it's going to be hard. But it's not the good kind of hard, it's just cheap. The level design just felt haphazard to me overall. I never felt like I was progressing; more putting myself in a serious of precarious situations and hoping the enemies played nice. Again, I thought the idea was neat, but the execution was severely botched.
The more I read about the final areas in this game, the more depressed I get. I don't want the magic to end :(

DigitalDevil said:
The more I read about the final areas in this game, the more depressed I get. I don't want the magic to end :(

Yeah, Xen Syndrome hits the game pretty hard.

Thankfully, its really only two areas that are outright awful, Lost Izalith and The Tomb of the Giants.

Booshka

DigitalDevil said:
The best advice is to just stop playing once you get to the big tits. That's the best ending you're gonna get in this game anyway.

Booshka said:
The best advice is to just stop playing once you get to the big tits. That's the best ending you're gonna get in this game anyway.

The
Dark Lord
ending is pretty good. Plus,
those tits are fake anyway.

sleepykyo

Mortrialus said:
The
Dark Lord
ending is pretty good. Plus,
those tits are fake anyway.

Still better than going through Lost Izalith and the Tomb of the Giants. Heck I hate New Londo/Abyss as well. After Anor Londo the game just falls apart.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sleepykyo said:
Still better than going through Lost Izalith and the Tomb of the Giants. Heck I hate New Londo/Abyss as well. After Anor Londo the game just falls apart.
agreed. anor londo is an all time best Souls level

then shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom