• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Aselith said:
Problem being that flying enemies often jump over you so you're fighting one on each side due to the way they designed them. It makes particularly the Bell Gargoyle fight troublesome as a melee because they have a tendency to get on each side of you and if you need to switch targets quickly, which you often do, it can and does get you killed. For a game designed to be hard, mechanical failures which cause you to die can be frustrating.

Not saying it's a bad game but they dropped the ball here. The other thing I had a big issue with was when stuff jumps above you and you lose target lock while it's in the air about to come down on top of you...and then it comes down behind you for massive damage. That was always a good one.

Well for certain fights it can be more effective not to lock on in order to maximize your mobility. As it keeps both your view and your movement centered on a single opponent, the lock-on can be a detriment in certain cases.

You can release the lock-on hold fairly quickly by clicking R3 again. If you see that it's about to cause you issues by either putting you in a bad spot to react or putting you closer in range to the enemy than you'd like to be, you should temporarily disable it so you can get into a better position. In some fights it can better to have it off entirely for the whole battle so you can move around more freely.

Still, the range on the lock-on is enough that you can usually still roll away from melee danger while remaining locked on. In a case where you're fighting an enemy that hops over you and breaks your lock-on in the process, you should instantly block and roll in the opposite direction and their follow-up attack should be nullified. It's good practice to keep holding the block button when attacking or rolling so that those small windows where attacks can get through have a chance at being blocked.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
FuzzyNorman said:
It won't let me use them...

If it glitched out and there's not actually anybody invading you then if you disconnect from PSN it should automatically quit to the main menu. Actually that works even if somebody really is invading you as well.

dewkl

Neo Member
Is the matchmaking system different in Dark Souls? I invaded someone who told me he was level 250. I'm level 57. I've had the impression that the people I've invaded have been better equipped (both stat, spell and item-wise), but assumed I was mistaken. I'm using the red eye orb.

Insaniac said:
don't really need homeward bones theres a bonfire right next to them after you kill
seath

Anyway, twinkling titinate has a pretty low drop rate I had 410 item find and still only got 1 maybe every 20 kills. You do get a ton of purging stones which if anything you can "sell" to frampt for 1,000 souls a pop making it not too bad.

True, but if you haven't killed Seath or haven't even opened up Duke's Archives yet, you'll be in Ash Lake... but good point. Shame it's not a warp point... warp there, farm for a bit, warp out -- instead you have to warp to anor londo and hike all the way out there first. :\

x3r0123 said:
there are 5 crystal lizards that spawn randomly in great hollow
there are 2 crystal lizards in crystal cave
there is one crystal lizard at the end of tomb of the giants
one at duke's archives

There are 3 in crystal cave, right after you make the leap of faith to the last invisible walkway.

The one in Tomb is easy too, as it's in the middle of a path of nothing, so it's not a big deal to get to it/kill it.

I don't remember the one in Duke's Archives, but yeah, there are a ton in Great Hollow, but finding them, especially the ones in the root that's above you in the side of the tree... I never cared to put the time in to find how to get there. :\

Friendly hint for anyone who has high INT and is hunting the little bastards: (CRYSTAL) HOMING SOUL MASS.
If you miss one, use homeward bone or homeward miracle and go to last bonfire, then reattempt. I just did this in the catacombs the other day... I've been using mine to upgrade the chest and head pieces of the darkwraith armor. I'm just sad I can't up the gold hemmed stuff I wear in conjunction with it.

finalozzo said:
it's not hard. ornstein ssj is HARD.

This is just about what I'm going to do... any tips for taking out smough first, other than iron skin, lock on to smough, dust his ass, then pray against SSJ ornstein? I want my Ornstein armor.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
FuzzyNorman said:
Finally got invaded, was kicking his butt, and the game froze for like the 5th time. Such a glitchy mess...

There is a time gap between when the game locks you in and disables your White Soapstone, the Quit Game option and the like when you get invaded and when the invader appears, but it's usually measured in seconds. Though with some of the difficulties the game has with online connectivity I'm not surprised that it can last a lot longer.

For what it's worth, if you're devious you can use this delay to stand around in popular invasion spots in human form watching the Quit Game option and then blitzing the invader spawn point as soon as it grays out. Invasions don't end well for the invader when they spawn under the effects of Tranquil Walk of Peace with a Soulmass already headed their way.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
True, but if you haven't killed Seath or haven't even opened up Duke's Archives yet, you'll be in Ash Lake... but good point. Shame it's not a warp point... warp there, farm for a bit, warp out -- instead you have to warp to anor londo and hike all the way out there first. :\

There are 3 in crystal cave, right after you make the leap of faith to the last invisible walkway.

The one in Tomb is easy too, as it's in the middle of a path of nothing, so it's not a big deal to get to it/kill it.

I don't remember the one in Duke's Archives, but yeah, there are a ton in Great Hollow, but finding them, especially the ones in the root that's above you in the side of the tree... I never cared to put the time in to find how to get there. :\

Friendly hint for anyone who has high INT and is hunting the little bastards: (CRYSTAL) HOMING SOUL MASS.
If you miss one, use homeward bone or homeward miracle and go to last bonfire, then reattempt. I just did this in the catacombs the other day... I've been using mine to upgrade the chest and head pieces of the darkwraith armor. I'm just sad I can't up the gold hemmed stuff I wear in conjunction with it.

This is just about what I'm going to do... any tips for taking out smough first, other than iron skin, lock on to smough, dust his ass, then pray against SSJ ornstein? I want my Ornstein armor.

i always find 2 in crystal caves. As for great hollow, I know their spawn points and i know how to get there. Basically there are 7 or so spawn points and I recommend the usage of fog ring.

As for anor londo boss, if you are around SL141 then i could help you with it

Aselith

Zeliard said:
Well for certain fights it can be more effective not to lock on in order to maximize your mobility. As it keeps both your view and your movement centered on a single opponent, the lock-on can be a detriment in certain cases.

You can release the lock-on hold fairly quickly by clicking R3 again. If you see that it's about to cause you issues by either putting you in a bad spot to react or putting you closer in range to the enemy than you'd like to be, you should temporarily disable it so you can get into a better position. In some fights it can better to have it off entirely for the whole battle so you can move around more freely.

Still, the range on the lock-on is enough that you can usually still roll away from melee danger while remaining locked on. In a case where you're fighting an enemy that hops over you and breaks your lock-on in the process, you should instantly block and roll in the opposite direction and their follow-up attack should be nullified. It's good practice to keep holding the block button when attacking or rolling so that those small windows where attacks can get through have a chance at being blocked.

It's not an issue of mobility though it's an issue with the game systems break down. There are fights where being locked on is not for the better but not that one unless you are trying to keep from having issues with the bad targeting. Not targeting in that fight would be more about a workaround for the bad targeting.

The other issue is that it's much harder to block in a specific direction especially while moving out of range backwards if you don't have a target lock. I play a Knight so I wear heavy armor having the systems work against each other that I specifically made my character around can be frustrating.

They should work on it if it's possible.

x3r0123 said:
i always find 2 in crystal caves. As for great hollow, I know their spawn points and i know how to get there. Basically there are 7 or so spawn points and I recommend the usage of fog ring.

As for anor londo boss, if you are around SL141 then i could help you with it

Much lower than you, but thanks for the offer -- I'm at 105 or so.

How does one get up into the spot that overlooks the branches as you spiral down? The maps in the guide book don't help so much there.

Not sure why it's different, but I know when I finished crystal caves last time, I got 3 down there -- it was the only reason I wasn't getting super pissed when seath would kill me as I tried for his tail -- it gave me another opportunity to drop down and try to take out a lizard.

My worst experience with the lizards was the first time I played, before I found the depths and capra demon, I had gone wondering down into darkroot and was running from everything. When I ran up the hill and found darkroot garden, I managed to find and kill the lizard en route. However, as I killed it, it must've been on the end of disappearing -- I saw the (X) pillage body message, but was unable to press x quick enough. It disappeared and never came back. :(

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
Much lower than you, but thanks for the offer -- I'm at 105 or so.

well the strategy is to attack the smough as long as ornstein isnt doing a dash thrust attack to you. Therefore, you need to keep them close.
When you get ornstein alone, always be behind a pillar and wait for the right opportunity

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Does Bloodloss status = Insta-kill?

Priscilla's fight giving me a hard time because of that. The worst about subsequent tries is that the every following fight starts with her being in the aggressive state. So now cutting her tail is gonna harder.

Any tips for this fight? Someone earlier suggested that it's an easy one, FML.

Zeliard

Jinfash said:

Priscilla's fight giving me a hard time because of that. The worst about subsequent tries is that the every following fight starts with her being in the aggressive state. So now cutting her tail is gonna harder.

Just use some bloodred moss clump before the fight.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
How does one get up into the spot that overlooks the branches as you spiral down? The maps in the guide book don't help so much there.

Not sure why it's different, but I know when I finished crystal caves last time, I got 3 down there -- it was the only reason I wasn't getting super pissed when seath would kill me as I tried for his tail -- it gave me another opportunity to drop down and try to take out a lizard.

My worst experience with the lizards was the first time I played, before I found the depths and capra demon, I had gone wondering down into darkroot and was running from everything. When I ran up the hill and found darkroot garden, I managed to find and kill the lizard en route. However, as I killed it, it must've been on the end of disappearing -- I saw the (X) pillage body message, but was unable to press x quick enough. It disappeared and never came back. :(

you need to jump off from the main branch to another branch that leads to 2 small caves

corrosivefrost said:

try to keep ornstein behind smough at all times. he will still hurl lightning bolts through smoughs body, that cheap bastard, but it's your only chance. you will see him coming at least.

x3r0123 said:
well the strategy is to attack the smough as long as ornstein isnt doing a dash thrust attack to you. Therefore, you need to keep them close.
When you get ornstein alone, always be behind a pillar and wait for the right opportunity

This sounds about right -- my first attempt where I managed to kill one was Smough first on accident. I kept a pillar between me and Ornstein and had him down to less than 30% health and he pulled the lightning grab and got me -- OHKO... the next couple times, Ornstein was always in my face and took the brunt of my pyro attacks... the one time I got Smough first, they were together and Smough was kind of shielding Ornstein from my fire. I know I need to kill Ornstein last for sure, as I want his armor and I need his soul to work towards my platinum...

I'm seriously, minus a couple levels of weaponry (where I have things at +5) almost at "all I need is gwyn's soul and Sif's for the 3rd time". I have all the drops, and all I need is Priscilla's tail - I have all the boss souls ready for the rest of the weapons, though I might be missing some large shards to get them to +10... once I get the lordvessel though...

scy

corrosivefrost said:
If you miss one, use homeward bone or homeward miracle and go to last bonfire, then reattempt.

You can just quit and reload to save yourself the run back.
The Great Hollow
is a bit different since it seems to randomly select ones to spawn but you can still reload until it's there. Beats out having to do the run each time.

Also, in regards to scaling weapons, it's just low level that they scale not-so-well vs Lightning/Fire; at 40+ in their damage stats they should be winning out (though, uncertain on STR/DEX here). I haven't done a lot of various weapon forging but I haven't found a single B/A scaling INT or Faith weapon that would have been better damage as a Lightning or Fire weapon yet.

Resists, then, account for most the other discrepancies. Which is where Lightning tends to do really well.

x3r0123

corrosivefrost said:
This sounds about right -- my first attempt where I managed to kill one was Smough first on accident. I kept a pillar between me and Ornstein and had him down to less than 30% health and he pulled the lightning grab and got me -- OHKO... the next couple times, Ornstein was always in my face and took the brunt of my pyro attacks... the one time I got Smough first, they were together and Smough was kind of shielding Ornstein from my fire. I know I need to kill Ornstein last for sure, as I want his armor and I need his soul to work towards my platinum...

I'm seriously, minus a couple levels of weaponry (where I have things at +5) almost at "all I need is gwyn's soul and Sif's for the 3rd time". I have all the drops, and all I need is Priscilla's tail - I have all the boss souls ready for the rest of the weapons, though I might be missing some large shards to get them to +10... once I get the lordvessel though...

the green shards, normal shards and large shards can be bought from the merchant at sen's fortress

Owzers

Getting my butt kicked around in New Lando, it's a pain to get back to that fog four king door, there are hardly any people i can summon to help me and the one guy there keeps getting summoning failed messages....

Don't think i can beat these four kings alone Xo. I'm lvl 85 but my lvl is much better than i am at this game :p.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Zeliard said:
Just use some bloodred moss clump before the fight.
I'm using it to treat the blood loss, but does it have a preventive effect as well, and if so for how long?

I'm still stuck at that fight. Any weapon or pyrcomancy suggestion would be appreciated.

RedSwirl

Anybody else noticed the input lag in this game? Is that just a problem on 360? Any chance of a patch? Any chance of a patch for 360 to let you change the weapon controls from the bumpers to the triggers?

Just cleared the game, what an amazing experience. Aside from Tomb of the Giants. Fuck that place. I lucked out with lava-mode Izalith with great summoned allies clearing out the... Leg monsters.

New Game+ is up and running! Finally got that drake sword.

Zzoram

sillymonkey321 said:
Getting my butt kicked around in New Lando, it's a pain to get back to that fog four king door, there are hardly any people i can summon to help me and the one guy there keeps getting summoning failed messages....

Don't think i can beat these four kings alone Xo. I'm lvl 85 but my lvl is much better than i am at this game :p.
Do you have a 100% physical block shield, Iron Skin pyromancy? Iron Skin makes all bosses super easy.

RedSwirl said:
Anybody else noticed the input lag in this game? Is that just a problem on 360?

Every once in awhile, I get something like this... where I tell it to cast a spell and it doesn't come out when I told it to.

MechaX

corrosivefrost said:
Every once in awhile, I get something like this... where I tell it to cast a spell and it doesn't come out when I told it to.

I usually get it doing rolling actions. Hell, it happened the most in fights like Smough and Ornstein.

Miroku

I joined the Darkmoon covenant and that blue eye orb never, ever works. Are there any tricks to this? I'm SL85 if that matters...

RedSwirl

corrosivefrost said:

To be honest, Dark Souls is starting to feel like an Eastern European game - great game design and art, but you can tell the developer didn't have the manpower or the budget to properly optimize it at launch. Man I wish this had a PC version.

Morphis

I have a question: when I go to the spot in the back of the cave in
Darkroot Basin
where the elevator to
theValley of Drakes
is supposed to be, the elevator is not there. It's probably either above or below me. Do I have to activate it somewhere, or is it simply not available at this point in the game (I just rang the first bell)?

Sullichin

Jinfash said:

I did not find this fight easy but I finally conquered it today. The bloodred moss is helpful I guess but I found that it just left me vulnerable. I didn't wind up using it when I finally beat her. When you see her footprints get close together, run around her and try to attack a couple of times, but don't use up all your stamina. I had to be very patient with making her visible because I couldn't ever land a pyro hit on her when she was invisible. When I could finally see her the fight gets easier, but if you take too long to inflict enough damage she will go invisible again so you need to beast.

Sullichin

Do I need a weapon to be +10 before I can make it lightning? I can revert my Divine Gargoyle Halberd to a regular +5, which I'd do if I can make lightning at +5 but I think I need +10...i'd rather upgrade a different weapon though and keep this one.

Any where to get regular titanite shards in anor londo? wondering if its worth trekking all the way back to sen's fortress..

matmanx1

RedSwirl said:
To be honest, Dark Souls is starting to feel like an Eastern European game - great game design and art, but you can tell the developer didn't have the manpower or the budget to properly optimize it at launch. Man I wish this had a PC version.

As much as I love them, this describes pretty much everything From Software has ever put out. They have fantastic artists, great vision and tend to make games with unique and memorable settings and mechanics but their track record with making highly polished games is not so good.

Still, Demon's Souls is pretty much my game of the forever and Dark Souls is so far right up there with it (although I'm just now in Anor Londo and it's an amazing looking place, btw). I was also a huge King's Field fan back in the day and have always loved when From made one of these types of games.

Also, I just killed a mimic in Anor Londo inside the castle and it dropped an Occult Club. I guess Mimic's like dropping useful weaponry although they are sort of a pain to fight. I'm getting closer to the S&O boss fight all the time!

Just got to
the Depths. Ran into the butchers as well, killed the first one but the second one killed me while I had three thousand souls. Haven't died yet so I'm preparing to collect them next chance I get.

Before that, though, I went in the secret passage behind the first butcher, fire-bombed the giant rat because I was afraid of dying, ran around a little bit, and ended up dropping down another shaft where there were a bunch of basilisks. I didn't get cursed and killed a few, but I didn't want to risk anything and used a homeward bone out of there. Next time I'm going for the souls I initially lost.

dekjo

Y2Kev said:
Finished it.

First two thirds of the game: 11/10
Last third: 6/10

Did they just run out of time?

Anyway, a lovely game. Not sure if I liked Demon's Souls better or not. A MARVELOUS open world that really schools all the big shits in the industry that make dull, empty garbage open world "experiences."
I assume Great Hollows, Ash Lake, and Painted World all fall under the first two-thirds. I really like the optional areas (except Drake Valley, which was just short and dull).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom