• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
FairXchange said:
You guys sure aren't making the levels past Anor Lando sound much fun.

Right now I'm in the painting world and am awestruck at the freshness of it, so I'm a bit concerned to think that feeling will be torn away from me soon after leaving there.

Anyhow, I genuinely didn't like the swamp-like level in Demon's Souls, it was an atrocious experience but it didn't take away from my overall love of the game.

At this point, Dark Souls has done so much right in terms of levels, environments, mechanics, gear, a few off-kilter levels will not spoil my experience.

Also, Blighttown was kinda crap for me, but still enjoyable because of it being connected to interested areas once you explore some.

I was really worried about the stuff as well when posters like Yoshi and others who powered through the game but when I got there nothing was is bad as it seemed. The only one I didn't like was Lost Izalith (or how ever you spell it). Just get Cast Light for Cata/Tomb.

Johnas

So is it impossible to get through New Londo Ruins before going through Anor Londo?

I left Anor Londo because I was getting fed up with the gargoyles, but I can't find any way to proceed through New Londo Ruins either. I even checked the wiki and it's pretty vague on New Londo. It mentions
that I need the seal from the guy who removes curses, but it doesn't tell you how to get the seal other than killing him, which it says isn't advisable since he removes curses

If someone could make sense of that I'd appreciate it.

KorrZ

Izalith is definitely the worst area in the entire game. The damn lava was so bright it was giving me a headache by the time I cleared out all those stupid, stupid enemies. Having to wear the lava ring so my equip burden was >50% the whole time didn't help either T.T

Ghost_Protocol said:
Ok guys, seriously, what the fuck is up with the ending? Did they run out of time or something?

Depends which ending you got. If you linked the fire, that's the bad ending, you LOST. It was all a big trick by Dark Sun Gwyn and Kingseeker Frampt to keep the age of fire going. If you walk away (which seems like the "wrong" choice because you actually do nothing... no button to press!) then the ending is the "good" ending; You become the new Dark Lord, all of the Primeval Serpents serve you, the Age of Fire ends and you usher in the Age of Man.

Finally reached Blighttown today, and yeah the framerate sucks. But it hasn't really affected the difficulty yet - no deaths I can blame on stutters or dropped frames.

I'm just heading into the lower part and haven't found the level difficult or annoying at all - maybe the hard stuff is down there? Or is it all just overhyped?

I used a map for the first time in the Depths and Blighttown (got the guide yesterday), and I think I'm not going to do that again. Maybe it's the quality of the maps in the guide, but I feel like I got way more lost with the map than I ever did without it.

I was also invaded for the first time today. I panicked for a minute and assumed I was dead meat, but I just fought him like any other enemy, beat his ass, and took a bunch of souls. That was pretty awesome.

Said it before, but this game continues to grow from experiment ("OK, WTF is this Souls shit?") to GOTY for me.

Johnas said:
So is it impossible to get through New Londo Ruins before going through Anor Londo?

I left Anor Londo because I was getting fed up with the gargoyles, but I can't find any way to proceed through New Londo Ruins either. I even checked the wiki and it's pretty vague on New Londo. It mentions
that I need the seal from the guy who removes curses, but it doesn't tell you how to get the seal other than killing him, which it says isn't advisable since he removes curses

Do Anor Londo first. If the gargoyles are giving you trouble, you probably need a stronger weapon... you should be able to take them out in 3-4 hits. I went there with the lighting spear fresh outta Sens, and what a waste of time, the Gargoyles were taking quite a few hits from that thing. I changed it for a Battle Axe +10, and ripped through them. You can do New Londo first, but it will be harder and you will have to kill that NPC. If you talk to him after you are done Anor Londo, he just hands you the seal.

Ken

Johnas said:

Ingrid gives it to you if you have the Lordvessel, so you have to go through Anor Londo first.

Oracle Dragon said:
Depends which ending you got. If you linked the fire, that's the bad ending, you LOST. It was all a big trick by Dark Sun Gwyn and Kingseeker Frampt to keep the age of fire going. If you walk away (which seems like the "wrong" choice because you actually do nothing... no button to press!) then the ending is the "good" ending; You become the new Dark Lord, all of the Primeval Serpents serve you, the Age of Fire ends and you usher in the Age of Man.

This is correct, except it is
Dark Sun Gwyndolin, Gwyn's last born sun, who is orchestrating the trick so he can refresh their lord souls and rule through his illusory sister Gwynevere, using her beloved by all status to rule from the shadows.

Xanathus

Ghost_Protocol said:
Ok guys, seriously, what the fuck is up with the ending? Did they run out of time or something?
The game is the anti-thesis about modern "gaming", it's about the journey not the destination.

Johnas said:

Sort of. It depends on if you desire to get the resist curse spell and have a curse removal NPC available in firelink.

If you want to do New Londo before Anor Londo, you must kill Ingward on top of the building where the path leads, as he will drop the key to the seal which lowers the water.

If you can't deal with the gargoyles, something tells me you're going to get reaaaally fucking fed up with the ghosts, darkwraiths, and the 4 kings.

Ken said:
Ingrid gives it to you if you have the Lordvessel, so you have to go through Anor Londo first.

Nah, as I said above, you can just kill him for the key if you don't want to do it in the planned order.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oracle Dragon said:
I couldn't help but read this even though I haven't beaten it. While I sort of agree with you if I have to make it black and white. Reading this I am glad I made the choice I did, but I can see people choosing the other ending.

brentech

I miss the weapon upgrade system of Demon's Souls. Such much easier to deal with. Maybe it's just because I became very used to it.

Johnas

Oracle Dragon said:
Do Anor Londo first. If the gargoyles are giving you trouble, you probably need a stronger weapon... you should be able to take them out in 3-4 hits. I went there with the lighting spear fresh outta Sens, and what a waste of time, the Gargoyles were taking quite a few hits from that thing. I changed it for a Battle Axe +10, and ripped through them. You can do New Londo first, but it will be harder and you will have to kill that NPC. If you talk to him after you are done Anor Londo, he just hands you the seal.

Ken said:

Thanks to both you guys. I have a Longsword +9 that is my primary weapon. I'd love to upgrade it more, but apparently I haven't met the right person yet, the guy in Undead Parish only turns it into Raw or melts it back down.

I'll head back to Anor Londo and give it some more time.

scy

Johnas said:
Thanks to both you guys. I have a Longsword +9 that is my primary weapon. I'd love to upgrade it more, but apparently I haven't met the right person yet, the guy in Undead Parish only turns it into Raw or melts it back down.

I'll head back to Anor Londo and give it some more time.

+9 -> +10 should be doable by yourself or from Andrei (actually, anybody should be able to do it, now that I think about it). Are you checking the right menu option? It's not under Modify but Reinforce.

Ken

corrosivefrost said:
S
Nah, as I said above, you can just kill him for the key if you don't want to do it in the planned order.

Didn't know that, but I never do like killing NPCs. Except in Deus Ex.

Zzoram

brentech said:
I miss the weapon upgrade system of Demon's Souls. Such much easier to deal with. Maybe it's just because I became very used to it.
I like this new system better. Way fewer types of stones to farm.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Johnas said:

Not at all. To do New Londo all you really need to do is get yourself cursed so you can kill the ghosts. Use a weapon with a good reach and learn where and when they aggro, and farm the upper zone until you get a ghost weapon.

You can't fight the zone boss until you've beaten Sif, but its not the sort of area where going through start-to-finish is a great idea because it connects back to a bunch of different areas.

Xanathus said:
The game is the anti-thesis about modern "gaming", it's about the journey not the destination.

No, it is about both, but the problem is the story is presented in too abstract a way. It has to be pieced together from what little each NPC says (which is vague at best) and lore written into the artifacts you find. There is only one NPC that will tell you the truth more or less straight up, but he is actually hard to find and if you do things in the "natural" order of the game you will never meet him.

The NPC is another serpent just like Kingseeker Frampt, named Darkstalker Kaathe. He's involved with the Darkwratih Convenant. The problem is that if you place the Lordvessle on the altar, you will never meet him, presumably because now you have "sided" with Frampt. And naturally when you go and get the Lordvessle like Frampt tells you to, what's the first thing most players will do when back at Firelink? Why, go and tell Frampt of course! And if you do that, he immediately takes you to the entrance to the Kiln of First Flame, where it seems you have no choice but to place the Lordvessle on the altar... no more Darkstalker Kaathe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got to Lost Izalith :lol

While I understand the complaints and I never, ever want to revisit this area, I can't help but respect it. It is just so insanely overwhelming and unpleasant. My experience was basically just a "*realize what the area is like*.... oh okay AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH RUN FORWARD RUN FORWARD" kind of deal. I'm chilling on top of some tower now and out of Estus. Wonder how many tries this is gonna take bahaha.

edit: holy crap, found a bonfire! whaaaat

matmanx1

Well after getting whipped all day long in Anor Londo by just about everything I finally unlocked all the shortcuts and cleared everything up to S&O. I think I died more times in Anor Londo doing the stage than all my other deaths combined in Dark Souls up to this point. There are zero easy enemies in that level and they all seem to hit really hard and have great range.

The good news is I got my Furysword created and leveled my Lightning Spear up to +5 through what had to be a glitch. I was at +3 on the Spear, grabbed the Titanite Chunk outside the Giant Blacksmith area and ran back in to the Blacksmith to upgrade it to +4. I opened up the menu, hit "X" on reinforce weapon and then instead of hitting "X" again at the prompt I hit "O" which prompted me to upgrade the Spear again and this time instead of hitting +4 it went to +5. I don't know exactly why or how but I'll take it.

After the stress of just getting through Anor Londo I really didn't want to deal with S&O but I did try them once by myself, just to say I did. I hit Smough once before Ornstein ran me through and killed me. Once back at the bonfire I used a humanity to reverse hollowing and summoned myself some buddies and we proceeded to wreck Smough and Ornstein on the next attempt. We killed Smough first so I got Ornstein's soul and I was pretty pleased about the whole situation. Used melee on Smough and saved my Pyro for Ornstein. Great Chaos Fireball hit Ornstein for about 650 each and he actually went down quicker than Smough did. I really, really like that spell and getting through that area feels like a major accomplishment.

scy

brentech said:

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure if I remember the Demon's Souls system being vastly different. Find materials, upgrade weapon. It's basically the exact same, except with a larger variety of stuff to do.

I mean, I guess there's the addition of Embers.

Johnas

scy said:
+9 -> +10 should be doable by yourself or from Andrei (actually, anybody should be able to do it, now that I think about it). Are you checking the right menu option? It's not under Modify but Reinforce.

Oh wow, looking under the wrong menu option ftl.

I don't know how I missed that.

I never did consider buying the item that allows me to do it myself at the bonfire.

brentech

As I said, maybe just more acquainted with DeS. Platinum'd that game and haven't spent a whole lot of time upgrading in this one (thru Anor Londo so far).
Right now I've only upgraded a longsword to +9 and my lightning spear to +4
but when I look at the upgrade chart path or just cycle through what I can do at the smith, I just don't understand if I've wasted stones or not - and don't want to use something I should have been saving.
guess I need to look into it again

Hawkian said:
Just got to Lost Izalith :lol

While I understand the complaints and I never, ever want to revisit this area, I can't help but respect it. It is just so insanely overwhelming and unpleasant. My experience was basically just a "*realize what the area is like*.... oh okay AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH RUN FORWARD RUN FORWARD" kind of deal. I'm chilling on top of some tower now and out of Estus. Wonder how many tries this is gonna take bahaha.

edit: holy crap, found a bonfire! whaaaat

Yeah, there's an illusory wall under you. That bonfire will be good if you fuck up on bed of chaos.

brentech said:
As I said, maybe just more acquainted with DeS. Platinum'd that game and haven't spent a whole lot of time upgrading in this one (thru Anor Londo so far).
but when I look at the upgrade chart path or just cycle through what I can do at the smith, I just don't understand if I've wasted stones or not - and don't want to use something I should have been saving.

The only thing you can really fuck up is if you commit a titanite slab to something, since it's so rare. It's not like you're going to waste a Pure Bladestone and bash your head into a wall rather than farm another one for the next 20 hours.

cj_iwakura

corrosivefrost said:
About your spoiler -- I missed that; what's he have to do with New Londo?

You meet Kaathe at the bottom of The Abyss after beating Four Kings if you didn't side with Frampt, who sheds a different light on events.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
matmanx1 said:
Well after getting whipped all day long in Anor Londo by just about everything I finally unlocked all the shortcuts and cleared everything up to S&O. I think I died more times in Anor Londo doing the stage than all my other deaths combined in Dark Souls up to this point. There are zero easy enemies in that level and they all seem to hit really hard and have great range.
Wish I had my original post about Anor Londo. Such a different experience :p

corrosivefrost said:
Yeah, there's an illusory wall under you. That bonfire will be good if you fuck up on bed of chaos.
Right, bed of chaos... that's here somewhere....

sleepykyo

offtopic said:
I'm near the end of Anor Londo right now so I haven't seen everything by any means but Anor Londo is a distinct cut below the areas that preceded it. Not sure I understand the love.

It's pretty, the frame rate is fairly consistent (which is a rarity in this game), it can be a fairly straightforward level but does have some extra stuff (Painted World), one of the more interesting boss fights. It isn't the best area, but the stuff afterwards makes you miss it.

Johnas

Clear said:
Not at all. To do New Londo all you really need to do is get yourself cursed so you can kill the ghosts. Use a weapon with a good reach and learn where and when they aggro, and farm the upper zone until you get a ghost weapon.

You can't fight the zone boss until you've beaten Sif, but its not the sort of area where going through start-to-finish is a great idea because it connects back to a bunch of different areas.

Yeah, I have the ghosts down pat, it just seemed like a dead end since I didn't have the key to get through. Killing the dude on the roof was not something I felt inclined to do. :p

I'm heading back to do Anor Londo now.

scy

Johnas said:
Oh wow, looking under the wrong menu option ftl.

I don't know how I missed that.

I never did consider buying the item that allows me to do it myself at the bonfire.

It's convenient, I guess. I bought them for the hell of it.

Basically, you use Reinforce to get things to +1-5, +6-10, or +11-15 (whichever applicable). You use Modify to get them from +5 to +6, from +10 to +11, or from one type to another (e.g., +5 -> Divine).

cj_iwakura said:
You meet Kaathe at the bottom of The Abyss after beating Four Kings if you didn't side with Frampt, who sheds a different light on events.

Ah, okay...
I read your original post like Gwyn had done something specifically to New Londo... I was wondering if he got pissed and flooded it drowning everyone and sealing the four kings in the abyss...

scy said:
It's convenient, I guess. I bought them for the hell of it.

Basically, you use Reinforce to get things to +1-5, +6-10, or +11-15 (whichever applicable). You use Modify to get them from +5 to +6, from +10 to +11, or from one type to another (e.g., +5 -> Divine).

I don't know why anyone *wouldn't* buy that item. It's beyond useful. It makes it so you only need the smiths for acension -- in Anor Londo, can't get to blacksmith easily and enemies kicking your ass? Level up your gear at the bonfire for extra help. Personally, I love it most when farming the slugs in the blighttown swamp -- I get 4 or so large shards from them and go back to the bonfire, level some stuff up then and there, see how many more I need for the next weapon, etc. Makes it great for dealing with the upgrade trophies as well, as I only needed smiths to get me from the a to b ascension levels -- once they were all done doing so, I slew them all. The saddest was probably the big one. :\

Aselith said:
Well, there's also the part where you now have to find the blacksmith that's able to the job that you want or take that ember you've got. You want a magic weapon go to the guy in Londo. Want a Lightning weapon? Find the Ember and then go to the guy in Undead Parish. Oh you want a SPECIAL weapon? Run your ass out to Anor Londo and talk with the Smith there.

It's kind of lame that you have to find a one of a kind Ember that you could miss fairly easily sometimes + find the specific Smith that works with that kind of weapon + also still find the titanite that you need to upgrade your specific weapon. Just seems super lame and really what is the point? Thanks for making upgrading a huge hassle that adds nothing to the game by becoming a hassle. The good thing about specific ores for specific upgrades and that's it is that they're reasonable available like you can't miss one and that it, you're done.

Miss an Ember and you won't be using fire weapons.

Bad comparison. Miss an ember and you won't be using fire weapons at +6-+10 levels.

It's not like any of the embers are hard to find. I'll take embers and remote blacksmiths over farming pure stones any day of the fucking week. It took me 20 hours of farming to get a pure bladestone for my platinum trophy in Demon's Souls. I had to do two extra runthroughs of the game to get enough cloudstone chunks because the droprate for the manta rays would get me shards, but not chunks. This new system is 1000x better. I'll be done with the game's upgrade trophies by the end of my second playthrough and there's easy ways of obtaining everything you need.

Aselith

scy said:
I'll be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure if I remember the Demon's Souls system being vastly different. Find materials, upgrade weapon. It's basically the exact same, except with a larger variety of stuff to do.

I mean, I guess there's the addition of Embers.

Well, there's also the part where you now have to find the blacksmith that's able to the job that you want or take that ember you've got. You want a magic weapon go to the guy in Londo. Want a Lightning weapon? Find the Ember and then go to the guy in Undead Parish. Oh you want a SPECIAL weapon? Run your ass out to Anor Londo and talk with the Smith there.

It's kind of lame that you have to find a one of a kind Ember that you could miss fairly easily sometimes + find the specific Smith that works with that kind of weapon + also still find the titanite that you need to upgrade your specific weapon. Just seems super lame and really what is the point? Thanks for making upgrading a huge hassle that adds nothing to the game by becoming a hassle. The good thing about specific ores for specific upgrades and that's it is that they're reasonable available like you can't miss one and that it, you're done.

brentech said:

Upgrade materials are just so easy to obtain in this game. Titanite shards can be purchased from the first blacksmith you meet for 800 souls, large titanite shards and green titanite shards can be purchased from the merchant in Sen's Fortress for 4000 souls and 2500 souls respectively, and you'll find plenty of chunks of all types just playing through the game normally, but if that's not enough there are 100% chunk drops off of some respawnable end game enemies. The only thing you won't get plenty of is slabs, which are only needed for the final upgrade, and you can get at least one of those of each kind per play through with no farming required.

sleepykyo

Aselith said:

Demon's Souls had that. The Nexus blacksmith was fairly limited and you had to go to 2-1 for the full course. They just overextended it now, by cutting into 4 blacksmiths.

corrosivefrost said:
Ah, okay...
I read your original post like Gwyn had done something specifically to New Londo... I was wondering if he got pissed and flooded it drowning everyone and sealing the four kings in the abyss...

That's exactly what he did, to contain the Darkwraiths he sealed the city and flooded it, hence when it is drained the mountains of corpses.

Aselith

sleepykyo said:
Demon's Souls had that. The Nexus blacksmith was fairly limited and you had to go to 2-1 for the full course. They just overextended it now, by cutting into 4 blacksmiths.

Yeah but it was one guy for magic upgrades and one for regular upgrades and I believe there was even some dialogue in the game where they tell you who can upgrade the weapons for you. The fact that they spread it out makes it a much bigger hassle and also the magic weapon smith in Demon's is directly at the beginning of 2-1 and easy to get to when you open up the elevator.

Aselith said:
Yeah but it was one guy for magic upgrades and one for regular upgrades and I believe there was even some dialogue in the game where they tell you who can upgrade the weapons for you. The fact that they spread it out makes it a much bigger hassle and also the magic weapon smith in Demon's is directly at the beginning of 2-1 and easy to get to when you open up the elevator.

I don't know what you're doing, but I can make it to any blacksmith in < 5 minutes from any bonfire. And considering I only need them for acension, since I carry the smithing boxes, the trips are even less frequent. In fact, I only really go to them otherwise when I want to buy shards.

Besides, I think the hardest embers to find, looking back on it, were probably the enchanted one and the occult one. Both of which are easily found using a guide or looking it up online somewhere. By contrast, NOTHING could cut my farming time down for pure bladestone and cloudstone chunks. So again, I'll take the new system any day.

Oracle Dragon said:
That's exactly what he did, to contain the Darkwraiths he sealed the city and flooded it, hence when it is drained the mountains of corpses.

Makes more sense now. Thanks!

scy

brentech said:

Upgrades are basically:
() denotes the stat scaling it does.

Standard +5 -> Divine (Faith), Magic (INT), Raw (Crap), Fire (Nothing), or Standard +6.
Standard +10 -> Lightning (Nothing), Crystal (Weapon Dependent, unrepairable), Unique Weapons* or Standard +11.

Divine +5 -> Occult (Better Faith) or Divine +6.
Magic +5 -> Enchanted (Better INT) or Magic +6.
Fire +5 -> Chaos (Nothing / Humanity) or Fire +6.

*Require Boss Souls and
the Anor Lando Smith

The shards for the base level of upgrades are rather plentiful (Titanite Shards needed for Regular +1 to +5 are 800 souls a pop). This will get your weapon to +5.

The first tier of the special forges (Divine, Magic, Fire) use Green Titanite Shards (5000 a pop or just farm them) to make them from a +5 Weapon and to upgrade them to their +5 versions. Going from a Standard +5 to a Raw Weapon or Standard +6-10 use Large Titanite Shards which are 4000 a pop (or farmable, as well).

After that, they're color coded (Divine/Occult use White, Magic/Enchanted use Blue, Fire/Chaos use Red, Standard +11/Crystal/Lightning use regular ones); like the first tier, you need the Colored Chunk to make them and use those Chunks to upgrade them (until their final upgrade where you need a Colored Slab instead).

There's no real way to "waste" materials; they're all obtainable from somewhere. There's at least 1 Slab of every type so you can make a single +15 regular, +5 Crystal or +5 Lightning, +10 Fire or +5 Chaos, +10 Magic or +5 Enchanted, +10 Divine or +5 Occult. Slabs drop as well so you can get more if you need them, though they're kind of rare.

Boss Soul Weapons use Demon Titanite.

The only exception is Twinkling Titanite (this game's Colorless Souls), though they're farmable so it's not _as_ bad as it could have been.

Aselith said:
Well, there's also the part where you now have to find the blacksmith that's able to the job that you want or take that ember you've got.

Not counting Fire/Chaos (because fuck you Vamos), the other three are all placed fairly well and a hop, skip, and jump from a bonfire. The Embers are a nuisance, I suppose, but I don't think a single one of them is actually hidden besides arguably
Dark Ember, in the optional Painted World

I suppose it comes down to would you prefer being able to just rush through weapon upgrades to their max earlier or have to earn the ability to make them. I don't really mind the Embers being necessary to make them so I'm fine with the system as it is.

Besides, you start with the option for Magic weapons for INT builds and one of the earlier bosses in the game lets you get the option for Faith weapons; both of them can be acquired prior to when you normally should even have run into the shards needed for them.

And, finally, they're only needed for Ascension (i.e., the Modify option); you can do every single other upgrade yourself with the kits.

UFRA

Just out of curiousity what level were most of you when you started Sen's Fortress?

I'm 44 and kinda struggling. I need to really focus on specific stats now rather than going for an all-in-one class....

tokkun

Aeana said:
I think mimics are pretty fair, because if you look at the chests that are mimics, you can see them breathing. Once I noticed that, I just look at every chest before I open it.

After the first one. Mimics are fine once you know that there is such a think, but the first one you encounter is a guaranteed death.

I ran into a similar thing in the Crystal Cave today when I was running along this path and suddenly it was apparently too steep to walk on and I slid into a chasm.

What I'm saying is that in Demon's Souls you would have been guaranteed to have a message on the ground with 100+ positive ratings warning you. Or you would have a blood splatter with a ghost demonstrating some guy getting killed that way.

Dark Souls still has these mechanics, but they don't work well. I don't think I've ever seen a message with more than 10 positive ratings in Dark Souls, and the ones I lay down to warn people about threats or steer them towards items end up disappearing because they don't get any ratings. Blood splatters are much less common. The whole community strategy element seems much thinner.

Booshka

UFRA said:
Just out of curiousity what level were most of you when you started Sen's Fortress?

I'm 44 and kinda struggling. I need to really focus on specific stats now rather than going for an all-in-one class....
You can never really be an all-in-one class until you're level like 500 or something. You need to focus on 3 or so stats and level them up. Endurance is great for any playstyle, and Vitality can always help, but don't try to level magic stats, along with Strength and Dexterity, you won't get anywhere.

NBtoaster

UFRA said:

I was about level 50, but I think that's on the high side.

It get's much easier about mid-way through, because of an extremely good weapon you find.

scy said:
<snip>

Not counting Fire/Chaos (because fuck you Vamos), the other three are all placed fairly well and a hop, skip, and jump from a bonfire. The Embers are a nuisance, I suppose, but I don't think a single one of them is actually hidden besides arguably
Dark Ember, in the optional Painted World

Nice breakdown. Agree entirely, though with Vamos, it's really not bad... the only *bad* part is getting out of there if you don't want to waste a homeward bone or you don't have the homeward miracle. Seriously, getting to him isn't bad... run by all skeletons til you're in the catacombs, carefully proceed through the part with the wisps, run by everything else until you hit the first bridge; if you've completed the catacombs, you can step off on to bridge 2 -- from there it's one or two skeletons and running down the spiral stairs. It's getting OUT that's the issue.

And I might've found Dark Ember on my own, but I knew *of* the painted world and had been looking for how to get into it since I found the doll. I explore well and thorough, so I found it no problem, but after the wheel skeletons down in the basement/well type area... I can understand missing it if you skip finding the key to the annex (hell, I almost missed the stairs to the fire surge spell, myself.). The one area I never really looked much into was the side of the locked forest on the other side of the covenant leader -- I just moved directly to Sif (and found a couple other paths); I never would have found the enchanted ember if I hadn't looked it up.

UFRA said:

I was all around with my highest stat being low 20s before I started pumping stuff into INT at the end of the game. It's definitely possible. What equipment are you using?

IrishNinja

Yo Gotti said:
Why run back? When the dude takes his sword out, kill him.

yeah, i tried that a bit, but blocking his shit would get me knocked off. found another way around him, dealing with shit at the end of the level now - much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom