• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Speevy said:
I read a few pages back that after a certain point, leveling up doesn't make a difference. Is this true?

Well, there are diminishing returns in terms of improvement on your stats as they get higher. Stamina, for example, stops increasing once you get Endurance to 40.

Donthizz#

we.are.the.armada said:
Yeah Smough is very weak to lightning - I'll have to try some Pyro on Ornstein if he ends up being weak to it. I do know that my Q.Furysword with 78 Humanity was doing identical damage to my Occult W.Pole so maybe the fire damage on the weapons isn't enough. Thanks, I'll try it out.

You sure? I have the most powerful bow and hundreds of poison arrows but I dunno, I did cast toxic mist on him and it did nothing, not sure if poison will work. Have you beaten him in NG+ with poison arrows once he's got X Factor?

give it a try..im pretty sure

tokkun

we.are.the.armada said:
Good point - also, I've fought a lot of high level players using Katanas and the Grant. Katanas don't recoil when hitting shields and I think that Grant may do extra stamina damage, not sure.

Katanas are good because bleed damage can be used effectively against players with strong armor.

Aselith said:
Yeah, that's the problem. I could make it to the smith in Demon's in under 30 seconds. Why is it necessary to make it harder to get to? The hard part should be getting the materials to upgrade not the actual process of upgrading.

Additionally, if you get a new ember you won't necessarily know where to take it so you have to make trips to possibly a few different smiths before you actually know who will take it and what it does. Though of course you won't know what it does unless you have a weapon that is ready to be ascended to that because they also don't have a description for the various types of ascension on the smith menu.

I learned everything I needed to know from the bits of info on the loading screens. :)

Some observations after beating the game:

1. Played as a hybrid mage/bowman in Demon's Souls. Wanted to be a tank this time. So glad I went that way. Later bosses were so easy with 40+ stamina and Stone Armor/Great Artorias Shield. Just absorb they're hits and whack them with my +8 Divine Claymore or Great Chaos Fireball. Wouldn't have wanted to have fought through later levels as a mage. Also, never lost an invasion this time. Guys would backstab me and do only 1/4 damage. Anyone on the fence about what to create, the easiest way to go is STR/END/VIT build. Ended up with over 1400 hit points, too, with the 20% boost ring on.

2. Wish there were more invasions and coop opportunities. Running through Anor Lando with friends kicked ass, but this was pretty much it for my coop experience.

3. Shortcuts were so cool. Using the Master Key ruined a couple of them, though (Blighttown).

4. Anor Lando is my new favorite level ever.

5. The levels people hated weren't bad, just hard or dark or disturbing. I'll never forget Blighttown or Lost Izalith, though I never want to play them again.

GOTY

Ken

Quote said:
What did the key open in Blighttown? The Valley of Drakes?
Yeah.

Well, more specifically it opens the door between New Londo Ruins and Valley of Drakes. The normal key is at the "end" or Blighttown before the normal exit.

tokkun said:
Well, there are diminishing returns in terms of improvement on your stats as they get higher. Stamina, for example, stops increasing once you get Endurance to 40.

no it doesnt. if you keep building up your endurance the stamina points go up. i got mine to 99 last night and it kept going up until the end.

With attunement slots however, i got to 10 at level 50, and i went to 70 just to see how high it would go and it didnt increase.

Strength also doesnt do much extra - i got mine to 70 and even if i went up to 80 it would move up like 1 attack point.

Your ideas are correct, but that one specific example was wrong.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
x3r0123 said:
wow, so i just got summoned to fight against the 4 kings and this noob dies in like one hit..

I thought four kings was pretty hard, as boss fights go. It was hard to judge distance against all the black, so I got further away than I had intended and got hit pretty hard.

Ken

sotodefonk said:
where can I get more Souvenir Of Reprisal? tried invading sinners but after 40 min of fail to invade someone, its pretty boring...
Wow, guess I made the right choice to join the Darkwraiths.

Ken said:
Ah, I had the key but happened to start Blighttown from The Depths. The key wouldnt have helped much if you wanted that katana, but otherwise that's be a short trip to Quelaag.

dekjo

Saw a post about leveling dex to increase casting speeds - is this confirmed? I think there was a link to a Japanese video I didn't have an account to watch, but wanted to ask before dumping additional soul into dex for my build.

x3r0123

luxarific said:
I thought four kings was pretty hard, as boss fights go. It was hard to judge distance against all the black, so I got further away than I had intended and got hit pretty hard.

i know the 4 kings hit like trucks but at least be prepared.. not to mention that it was ng+.

oh yeah, just helped a japanese player with ng++ 4kings. It felt good :)

Zzoram said:
Where in there? I only found a chunk.

when you enter the area, look for the left side

ive noticed at higher levels the PVP is actually a lot more fun and intense. you have guys that are respectful (bow before and after) dont have cheap tactics (Bandit knife/fog ring) and actually have really intense fights.

someone invaded me last night in the painted world of aramis. it was an excellent fight. he had homing soul mass, crystal ring shield and a spear...unfortunately i wasnt prepared so didnt have my shield on me. was a 10+ minute battle going up the stairs, outside to wear the wraiths were and in the end he got me....but yes at this level the fights are more fun rather than being cheap and annoying.

x3r0123

Phat Michael said:
ive noticed at higher levels the PVP is actually a lot more fun and intense. you have guys that are respectful (bow before and after) dont have cheap tactics (Bandit knife/fog ring) and actually have really intense fights.

someone invaded me last night in the painted world of aramis. it was an excellent fight. he had homing soul mass, crystal ring shield and a spear...unfortunately i wasnt prepared so didnt have my shield on me. was a 10+ minute battle going up the stairs, outside to wear the wraiths were and in the end he got me....but yes at this level the fights are more fun rather than being cheap and annoying.

if you want pvp just go to the last boss area. Also, from experience, most mannered players are japanese (as in no rof/stone sword or whatever cheapshit)

Ken

x3r0123 said:
if you want pvp just go to the last boss area. Also, from experience, most mannered players are japanese (as in no rof/stone sword or whatever cheapshit)
Seems like it. All I get are people who run away from me to quickly equip their Ring of Fog.

Risible

Just finished the game.

It could not be more obvious that they ran out of time to finish the game.

From Lost Izalith onwards was a joke. It seems like they had the architecture built for the most part and then ran out of time to build the enemy encounters. Lord Gwyn was just awful - nothing epic like the final battle of Demon's Souls. No cutscene when you meet him where he talks to you about his intentions, goals, ambitions?

Any once you kill him you...nothing? I touched the bonfire, get a 10 second cutscene and then boom, game over. I literally said "What the fuck??"

It's a damn shame - game is a masterpiece right up until Lost Izalith.
All in all I think Demon's Souls is the better game, sad to say :(.

x3r0123 said:
ive never actually invaded someone - if i did id equip very different things to what i have on now. Its not something i want to get into and tbh i dont even know how to do it.

Thats cool about the japanese. im guessing the bandit knife wielding fog ring wearing people are teenage westerners then?

yeah honestly, if all invaders were this respectful i wouldnt mind do much. i guess since he was high level he didnt need to employ cheap tactics...

bathala

Banned
dekjo said:
Saw a post about leveling dex to increase casting speeds - is this confirmed? I think there was a link to a Japanese video I didn't have an account to watch, but wanted to ask before dumping additional soul into dex for my build.
Yes for pyro. The speed difference between a Dex 29 and 99 was like 1 sec.

And there's vid that bypass registering to watch that vid. Few pgs back

darkwing said:
I have to agree, the last parts seem to be unfinished, Izalith, what a joke lol

I thought Izalith was okay, but that's only because of
Knight Solaire

By the way,
is there a way to cure the spider girl from the servants of chaos covenant? I'm thinking if I stay in the covenant, quelaag might not try to kill me in NG+...

x3r0123 said:
It's funny that you say that because the only people I've encountered that were wearing the RoF were Japanese. I don't think it matters where you're from.

So far I've only ran into like, one person who didn't cheese his way to victory when he invaded. The PVP in this game is kind of fucked.

Nora Kisaragi said:
I thought Izalith was okay, but that's only because of
Knight Solaire

By the way,
is there a way to cure the spider girl from the servants of chaos covenant? I'm thinking if I stay in the covenant, quelaag might not try to kill me in NG+...

She won't ever become healthy, but if you feed her enough humanity, she stops complaining about the pain, so I think that cures the worst of it.

scy

Miroku said:
Finished my first run finally @ level 89.

Overall the biggest problem with the single player experience is the item design. People have already complained about it enough but what the hell, here's one more voice just in case FROM is reading this thread.

My Faith of 31 was useless at scaling up either divine or occult weapons for any reasonable damage. Especially when compared to a lightning or fire weapon. Really disappointing to not have to get some cool super weapon to beat the later parts of the game, you just upgrade whatever to some element and you will win.

The worst of it is that
40 Faith is when Divine scaling tapers off (goes from ~+2 damage per point to ~+.2) and Occult starts to slow down there too before hitting the same wall around 50. That said, I want to say my Occult Claymore at +5 is comparable to a Lightning Claymore +5 but I don't have one on-hand to compare with; kind of sad, though, that it's only comparable when it requires a 40 stat point greater investment :/

I never found a talisman that was better than the talisman you get right after getting out of the asylum.

The better ones I can think of are:
Ivory Talisman from killing Rhea (or killing Petrus after he kills Rhea), the Sunlight Talisman from killing Sunbro, and the Darkmoon Talisman from the Darkmoon Covenant.
The same applies to
Catalysts, for the record; nothing the entire game and then all of them after you get through the Lord Souls zones.

Kurod

Banned
sotodefonk said:
where can I get more Souvenir Of Reprisal? tried invading sinners but after 40 min of fail to invade someone, its pretty boring...
If the pvp guilty hunt isn't working out they are also rare drops off of crow harpies in the painted world.

Mortrialus said:
She won't ever become healthy, but if you feed her enough humanity, she stops complaining about the pain, so I think that cures the worst of it.

Gosh darnit. I hate these rumors about how this game was allegedly rushed...
There's a huge plot with her that they just end the game without closing? It's the same with some other of the main characters too. If true, this game really needed some more development time...i'll look around just in case..

Xtyle

Crap.. I found the quelag daughter 'S room (convenant) and I killed her in 1hit thinking it was an enemy.... I play a pryomancer too.. Uh. Does new game plus rests npc death?

toasty_T said:
Finally got acquainted with those asshole archers in Anor Londo.

Please tell me they don't respawn.

they do, but theres a bonfire VERY closeby and once you find the blacksmith, go outside and to the left and open the door so you never need to see them again.

Nora Kisaragi said:
Gosh darnit. I hate these rumors about how this game was allegedly rushed...
There's a huge plot with her that they just end the game without closing? It's the same with some other of the main characters too. If true, this game really needed some more development time...i'll look around just in case..

Nah that is actually one only two covenants that feel finished. That covenant tells you everything you need to know about Quelaag, the Daughter of Chaos and the Witch of Izalith and it does have an ending. You just don't completely cure her.

bigben85 said:
Crap.. I found the quelag daughter 'S room (convenant) and I killed her in 1hit thinking it was an enemy.... I play a pryomancer too.. Uh. Does new game plus rests npc death?

Yeah they respawn in NG+. On the bright side, you got a Flame Keeper's Soul.

Well, I gotta say... after a long time using the damn Lightning Spear, it feels good to finally move past it and use some new, stronger weapons. After countless hours farming, of course...

So, I stocked up on Bloodred Moss Clump's and then forged an absolutely badass Lifehunt Scythe +5... that weapon is absolutely absurd. Pain in the ass to use, only because it causes bleed build up and then it hits you for %50 of the enemies hit total HP, but that weapon is powerful if you use it properly and it looks absolutely badass. My second weapon for is a Lightning Great Scythe +5 right now... which is also pretty damn strong. My Wanderer is looking absolutely awesome right now.

I just love the sheer variation of visual looks your character can go through... you can really design your character how you want by mixing and matching pieces of armour and weapons. Reminds me a lot of Diablo 2... and my football player from hell.

Insaniac

bigben85 said:

yes it does.

Jeez people I always try locking on to enemies(NPCs) before attacking!

Ken

MeBecomingI said:
Well, I gotta say... after a long time using the damn Lightning Spear, it feels good to finally move past it and use some new, stronger weapons. After countless hours farming, of course...

So, I stocked up on Bloodred Moss Clump's and then forged an absolutely badass Lifehunt Scythe +5... that weapon is absolutely absurd. Pain in the ass to use, only because it causes bleed build up and then it hits you for %50 of the enemies hit total HP, but that weapon is powerful if you use it properly and it looks absolutely badass. My second weapon for is a Lightning Great Scythe +5 right now... which is also pretty damn strong. My Wanderer is looking absolutely awesome right now.

I just love the sheer variation of visual looks your character can go through... you can really design your character how you want by mixing and matching pieces of armour and weapons. Reminds me a lot of Diablo 2... and my football player from hell.
Where can you pick up a scythe?

Ken said:
Where can you pick up a scythe?

The catacombs. There is an area where you can drop off a ledge to pick one up. You can also forge one from Priscilla's soul, though why you'd ever kill such a beautiful creature is beyond me.

Xtyle

Insaniac said:
yes it does.

Jeez people I always try locking on to enemies(NPCs) before attacking!

Right after it died I knew I hit the button too fast. I quit the game immediately but maybe I should have shut down ps3 instead as the game saved her death:(

Dresden

Mortrialus said:
The catacombs. There is an area where you can drop off a ledge to pick one up. You can also forge one from Priscilla's soul, though why you'd ever kill such a beautiful creature is beyond me.
I'd kill my own virtual mother for loot.

bigben85 said:
Right after it died I knew I hit the button too fast. I quit the game immediately but maybe I should have shut down ps3 instead as the game saved her death:(
You could have corrupted your save if you shut down your PS3. I doubt you would have liked that more. Live with your actions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom