• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tenbatsu said:
Yet to receive my copy, but I heard from my friend that this game is easier than Demon's Souls, is that the case? :(

Maybe -- maybe not.
The first real boss has shades of maneater to it, so take that for what you will.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do the environments in Demon's Souls generally feel as interesting as the best parts of Dark Souls?

UFRA

corrosivefrost said:
I was all around with my highest stat being low 20s before I started pumping stuff into INT at the end of the game. It's definitely possible. What equipment are you using?

Ok, here's what I'm using.

Eagle Shield + 5
Longsword + 5
Short bow + 5
Default Knight armor + 3 (defense isn't my issue, it's attack power)

My stats are (just off of memory here...):

20 Vitality
12 Attunement
20 Endurance
17 Strength
15 Dexterity
17 Resistance
12 Intelligence
12 Faith

I have Magic Weapon and Soul Arrow for my magic powers.

My plan now is to farm some souls (do you think I can handle Darkroot Garden now and do the 7000 souls farming trick?) and work specifically on my strength and endurance. I think beefing those two stats up will help a lot.

sixghost

UFRA said:
Just out of curiousity what level were most of you when you started Sen's Fortress?

I'm 44 and kinda struggling. I need to really focus on specific stats now rather than going for an all-in-one class....
Soul Level really isn't the deciding factor in regard to how easy/hard an area is. I was around level 55 the first time I went through there. My 2nd playthrough I was level 30 but had invested quite a bit into my armor, and it was much much easier.

UFRA

sixghost said:
Soul Level really isn't the deciding factor in regard to how easy/hard an area is. I was around level 55 the first time I went through there. My 2nd playthrough I was level 30 but had invested quite a bit into my armor, and it was much much easier.

I know but it at least indicates some degree of a person's abilities. I just want to know if I'm ahead or behind compared to others. Seems I'm about the same, only putting my upgrades all over the place instead of focusing on specific attributes.

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
x3r0123 said:
wow, so i just got summoned to fight against the 4 kings and this noob dies in like one hit..

I summoned two guys to help me, ran around like a lunatic wasting flasks on the way to the 4 kings, and once in the abyss I attempted switching out the rings since I already survived the fall.

I'm incredibly surprised I didn't receive angry PSN messages right after.

Booshka

UFRA said:

Eagle Shield + 5
Longsword + 5
Short bow + 5

20 Vitality
12 Attunement
20 Endurance
17 Strength
15 Dexterity
17 Resistance
12 Intelligence
12 Faith

My plan now is to farm some souls (do you think I can handle Darkroot Garden now and do the 7000 souls farming trick?) and work specifically on my strength and endurance. I think beefing those two stats up will help a lot.
Stop leveling Resistance, and focus on Strength to be able to use a better weapon. I would also stop leveling all the magic stats and Dexterity, and just work on getting your Endurance and Vitality up, and Strength up only to be able to use a better weapon.

sixghost

UFRA said:
I know but it at least indicates some degree of a person's abilities. I just want to know if I'm ahead or behind compared to others. Seems I'm about the same, only putting my upgrades all over the place instead of focusing on specific attributes.
Yeah but it can be misleading. Especially if you've not been upgrading in the most efficient fashion. Judging from your stats, you might have some trouble in the upcoming areas.

Not Sen's, as you hardly ever fight more than 1 enemy at a time there. Most of the challenge of Sen's is the traps and the environment. I could definitely see you struggling when you get to the next area. All the enemies hit hard as fuck there.
Booshka said:
Stop leveling Resistance, and focus on Strength to be able to use a better weapon. I would also stop leveling all the magic stats and Dexterity, and just work on getting your Endurance and Vitality up, and Strength up only to be able to use a better weapon.
Is raising resistance ever a good idea? I'm using a tank build atm, pumping nothing but end/vit and will eventually start putting stuff into faith once I get around 40 in both.

It seems like all it does is raise poison resist, and raises most of your resistance stats a little bit more than normal.

Aeana

Does anybody know exactly what the mechanics of cutting off a boss's tail are? I've watched lots of boss videos and some people manage to take off a boss's tail with only a couple of hits, leaving the boss with plenty of health... other people end up attacking the tail for most of the fight, depleting most of the boss's health before the tail breaks.

Insaniac

whew just fought gaping dragon co-op with my first melee character, pretty fun and intense. Used all my pine resin. I wish co-op worked better cause that was a lot of fun

Somebody just messaged me asking if I was using the infinite soul glitch. Now, I'm aware of a few instances of difficult to reproduce (borderline random) instances of continually getting souls. But I don't know of anything easily reproduced.

I know of the Dark Forest Garden - but that's not a glitch. More like a honest to goodness exploit to farm souls.

I only ask this because I can imagine you can level up your pyromancy glove to high hell without inflating your levels. Because somebody threw a fucking fire orb at me for like 700 damage, and apparently he's at my "level range."

Ken

lowhighkang_LHK said:
But I don't know of anything easily reproduced.

There is.

Insaniac said:
whew just fought gaping dragon co-op with my first melee character, pretty fun and intense. Used all my pine resin. I wish co-op worked better cause that was a lot of fun

Did that on my new character today; summoned Solaire and Lautrec who both proved to be useless. ]:

Speevy

Banned
I just brought two friends along to beat Ornstein and Smough.

Man, that fight was so much easier. It wasn't just our overwhelming numbers. The boss would actually change direction multiple times, which made our assault all the more effective.

Ken said:
There is.

Did that on my new character today; summoned Solaire and Lautrec who both proved to be useless. ]:

There is one. Link? I'm just curious how it's done. I have no interest in taking Dark Souls best element (it's challenge) and artificially removing it - which is why I even didn't really farm souls at Dark Forest.

UFRA

sixghost said:
Not Sen's, as you hardly ever fight more than 1 enemy at a time there. Most of the challenge of Sen's is the traps and the environment. I could definitely see you struggling when you get to the next area. All the enemies hit hard as fuck there.

Thanks that is good to know. As others have suggested I will work on strength, vitality, endurance. That way I will be better prepared for what's coming next.

Just gotta do a little sidetracking and grinding for souls. No biggie. That's the great thing about this game, you can screw up but still fix it - you just need to work your ass off lol.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Dammit. How do I leave the
painted world? I think that dragon on the bridge is glitching because the first time I encountered him he moved but now he is just sitting there and I can't kill him again.

Ken

140.85 said:
painted world? I think that dragon on the bridge is glitching because the first time I encountered him he moved but now he is just sitting there and I can't kill him again.

Go down to the sewers where all the wheel-skeletons are. There's a wheel down there you can turn to open a path that goes under the bridge.

Rez said:
Do the environments in Demon's Souls generally feel as interesting as the best parts of Dark Souls?

World 3-1/3-2 are pretty amazing and I think stand out moreso than many areas in Dark Souls for me. Revisiting Demon's Souls again - and many of the areas still hold up in comparison to Dark Souls. Some, slightly better

Aeana

140.85 said:
You need to open the door at the bottom of the tower, which lets you onto a bridge underneath the undead dragon. To do that, you need to go into the underground area and flip a switch in a room with a ton of wheel skeletons.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Ken said:
Go down to the sewers where all the wheel-skeletons are. There's a wheel down there you can turn to open a path that goes under the bridge.

Oh right I saw that but forgot to activate it.

Speevy

Banned
I feel Dark Souls' best attribute is that more than being better or worse than Demon's Souls (I could make tons of arguments for each case), it's a worthy companion piece to the first game.

You don't have to choose.

Guys, I can't kill Ornstein on NG++ he is too badass. I want his armor but I just can't kill him, and no phantoms at my level to help. Is Ornstein weak to anything in particular? Even IronFlesh and CrystalR.Shield doesn't work - any advice? Thanks!

Ken

we.are.the.armada said:
Guys, I can't kill Ornstein on NG++ he is too badass. I want his armor but I just can't kill him, and no phantoms at my level to help. Is Ornstein weak to anything in particular? Even IronFlesh and CrystalR.Shield doesn't work - any advice? Thanks!

He's weak to fire I think, while Smough is weak to lightning? Have to double check though.

x3r0123 said:
ugh.... people with stone sword and ring of fog

I know about the RoF but what's the Stone Sword?

Aselith

corrosivefrost said:
I don't know what you're doing, but I can make it to any blacksmith in < 5 minutes from any bonfire. And considering I only need them for acension, since I carry the smithing boxes, the trips are even less frequent. In fact, I only really go to them otherwise when I want to buy shards.

Besides, I think the hardest embers to find, looking back on it, were probably the enchanted one and the occult one. Both of which are easily found using a guide or looking it up online somewhere. By contrast, NOTHING could cut my farming time down for pure bladestone and cloudstone chunks. So again, I'll take the new system any day.

Makes more sense now. Thanks!

Yeah, that's the problem. I could make it to the smith in Demon's in under 30 seconds. Why is it necessary to make it harder to get to? The hard part should be getting the materials to upgrade not the actual process of upgrading.

Additionally, if you get a new ember you won't necessarily know where to take it so you have to make trips to possibly a few different smiths before you actually know who will take it and what it does. Though of course you won't know what it does unless you have a weapon that is ready to be ascended to that because they also don't have a description for the various types of ascension on the smith menu.

Raxus

140.85 said:
Do a jump attack (forward and heavy at the same time) in order to make the dragon stand.

Sullichin

Aselith said:
Yeah, that's the problem. I could make it to the smith in Demon's in under 30 seconds. Why is it necessary to make it harder to get to? The hard part should be getting the materials to upgrade not the actual process of upgrading.

Additionally, if you get a new ember you won't necessarily know where to take it so you have to make trips to possibly a few different smiths before you actually know who will take it and what it does. Though of course you won't know what it does unless you have a weapon that is ready to be ascended to that because they also don't have a description for the various types of ascension on the smith menu.

I was at the Anor Londo blacksmith with a +5 weapon, I had to go to the Undead Parish blacksmith to get it to +10, then back to Anor Londo blacksmith to make it lightning. Yeah, it could have been easier :p

Donthizz#

we.are.the.armada said:

shoot him with poison arrows..

Ken said:
He's weak to fire I think, while Smough is weak to lightning? Have to double check though.

Yeah Smough is very weak to lightning - I'll have to try some Pyro on Ornstein if he ends up being weak to it. I do know that my Q.Furysword with 78 Humanity was doing identical damage to my Occult W.Pole so maybe the fire damage on the weapons isn't enough. Thanks, I'll try it out.

Donthizz# said:
shoot him with poison arrows..

You sure? I have the most powerful bow and hundreds of poison arrows but I dunno, I did cast toxic mist on him and it did nothing, not sure if poison will work. Have you beaten him in NG+ with poison arrows once he's got X Factor?

Speevy

Banned
Nora Kisaragi said:
Why can I never win an invasion in my game? It seems like the PVP is biased to anyone using a lightning spear and it's really annoying...

Those lightning spearers need a good axing to the head.

JVIDICAN

we.are.the.armada said:
Yeah Smough is very weak to lightning - I'll have to try some Pyro on Ornstein if he ends up being weak to it. I do know that my Q.Furysword with 78 Humanity was doing identical damage to my Occult W.Pole so maybe the fire damage on the weapons isn't enough. Thanks, I'll try it out.
the furry sword only scales with humanity up to 10 as far as I'm aware. I'd feel nervous as hell running around with 78. lol

UFRA said:

Eagle Shield + 5
Longsword + 5
Short bow + 5

20 Vitality
12 Attunement
20 Endurance
17 Strength
15 Dexterity
17 Resistance
12 Intelligence
12 Faith

I agree with what others have said about Resistance... mine is still < 12. Probably 10 and I'm at SL 105. :lol

However, level what you wish. If you like spells, level INT, if you like weapons you can't use, level dex or strength accordingly. I can tell you my stats right now are something like:

23 Vitality
19 Attunement
27 Endurance
22 Strength
20 Dexterity
10 Resistance
44 Intelligence
18 Faith

The intelligence spike didn't come until I started cranking INT towards the end of the game first run because I wanted to use homing crystal soul mass.

Anyway, what your problem is your +5 longsword. It's serviceable, but not great.
Most people at your level are using the drake sword, which you could do since you have >16 strength. I was using an Astora's straight sword +4 with 15 or so faith or a longsword +10 with magic weapon. If you can make it to the lightning spear, you can get that and not worry about what to replace your longsword +5 with, provided you can deal with the spear's attack animations. It would pair perfectly with your eagle shield.

JVIDICAN said:
the furry sword only scales with humanity up to 10 as far as I'm aware. I'd feel nervous as hell running around with 78. lol

Ah, I didn't know, thats a bummer - yeah I'm running around with alot because of the drop rate increase though :)

tokkun

Nora Kisaragi said:
Why can I never win an invasion in my game? It seems like the PVP is biased to anyone using a lightning spear and it's really annoying...

Spears are not that good in PvP, IMO. Block an attack with your shield and the spear recoils leaving them wide open. And the attack area is so limited that you can dodge pretty easily with mobile characters.

I find dudes with greatswords/greataxes much tougher since one hit can nearly kill my < 20 VIT character.

Ken

we.are.the.armada said:
Ah, I didn't know, thats a bummer - yeah I'm running around with alot because of the drop rate increase though :)

Souls stop increasing drop rate at 30 I think. You have to boost it up more with that one ring.

Miroku

Finished my first run finally @ level 89.

Overall the biggest problem with the single player experience is the item design. People have already complained about it enough but what the hell, here's one more voice just in case FROM is reading this thread.

I killed the final boss with 2 pokes from a fire halberd +10 and 3 shots from my Crystal Ring Shield. Seemed a little too easy IMO. The crystal shield was hitting for over 1800 ffs.

I looked at all the guides and none of the later demon soul items seemed useful at all. I finished the game with Sif, Priscilla, ornstein, and gwndolin souls sitting in my backpack.

My Faith of 31 was useless at scaling up either divine or occult weapons for any reasonable damage. Especially when compared to a lightning or fire weapon. Really disappointing to not have to get some cool super weapon to beat the later parts of the game, you just upgrade whatever to some element and you will win.

I spent a ton of Twinkle tits on my astoria straight sword since it scaled with faith and that weapon was useless pretty soon after I got it, which is funny because I suicide ran to get it way earlier than I was supposed to get it in the first place.

I never found a talisman that was better than the talisman you get right after getting out of the asylum.
The best regular shield in the game drops off yard trash in the first area of the game.

I really only had to use 3 armor sets and 4 or 5 different weapons through the course of the whole game.
Anyways, I have a lot of thoughts about the online and covenants, but not gonna spend any more time writing now.

Kalnos

Banned
Speevy said:
I read a few pages back that after a certain point, leveling up doesn't make a difference. Is this true?

I'm level 30 and nearly at the end of the game. Game is way more about gear than stats.

Pancho

Qurupancho
This game really drops a lot in terms of quality after Anor Londo... :(
I'm finding it more and more difficult to get back at the game. Maybe I need a break.

tokkun said:
Spears are not that good in PvP, IMO. Block an attack with your shield and the spear recoils leaving them wide open. And the attack area is so limited that you can dodge pretty easily with mobile characters.

I find dudes with greatswords/greataxes much tougher since one hit can nearly kill my < 20 VIT character.

Good point - also, I've fought a lot of high level players using Katanas and the Grant. Katanas don't recoil when hitting shields and I think that Grant may do extra stamina damage, not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom