• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

Thank freaking god you don't need the Titanite Pole drop from Prowling Demons to get the Knight's Honor Trophy (even though the guide says you do need it). I'm in NG++ and hadn't gotten one drop from all the Demon's I've killed, just made the last weapon off Sif's soul, and it popped. Now to get all the Pyromancies, Sorceries, and Miracles!

Ken

Waterwheel up and cimb the structure with a ton of ladders to reach the exit. Don't forget to grab the New Londo Ruins key in a chest at the top of the structure to open a gate. You could then go Firelink and take the elevator to the Undead Parish Blacksmith.

Honestly, Drake Sword is fine for killing the boss there, though you might want to find something new after.

sixghost

K' Dash said:
I still have to go to the catacombs/TotG, new londo, lost izalith, and the archives... I don't know if I have it in me to do this, been stuck helping people through anor londo cause I don't wat to go to those places and be annoyed by bad design :/
Don't believe all the negativity about those areas.

I liked Duke's, Crystal Caves and New Londo. TotG is fun if you have any of the light producing things.

orion434

I need to help more players defeat bosses so I can join the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. I'm currently at SL 85 and I can help people with bosses up to Pricillia in the Painted World. I have 15 Faith so I just need to help 7 players and I've helped at least 5 - 6 and I don't want to waste stat points on Faith so anyone that needs help on Ornstein & Smough or Pricliia look for my summon sign :)

I think I may have screwed myself by farming Humanity and such and getting tons of souls and leveling up :(

Question: IMO Magic/Faith was the best stat focus in Demon's Souls, is it similarly powerful in Dark Souls?
Do many of the best weapons scale with Magic/Faith or are there more/better STR/DEX scaling weapons this time.

Are enemies highly susceptible to magic in Dark Souls or is there more of a balance between physical and magic defense?

Fong Ghoul said:
Is there a good shortcut out of Blighttown anywhere before a boss (other than the entrance from the Depths)?
Shortcut is in the swamp next to the WaterWheel if you don't want to go back to the Depths. It leads to the Valley of the Drakes to New Londo, if you have the key or Master Key. New Londo back to Firelink Shrine.

johntown

Banned
lawblob said:
Starting to feel burned-out on the game. After taking my sweet time with everything, enjoying a slow pace to the game, I need to get it over with. After Anor Londo, what should I do to get to the end-game the fastest?

Currently in the Archives basement?
The way I did it was....

Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, New Londo Ruins, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Kiln of the first Flame.

If you have done the Painted world that is your next area but you said speed so you could skip the painted world.

Ken said:
Waterwheel up and cimb the structure with a ton of ladders to reach the exit. Don't forget to grab the New Londo Ruins key in a chest at the top of the structure to open a gate. You could then go Firelink and take the elevator to the Undead Parish Blacksmith.

Honestly, Drake Sword is fine for killing the boss there, though you might want to find something new after.

Thanks - but what does the bolded mean?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So if I stick out Tomb of the Giants, all I have left is, basically, the last boss? I think I might just stick a fork in it, guys.

It's been fun. This will probably end up being my GOTY.

Mihos

Gold Member
Fong Ghoul said:
Is there a good shortcut out of Blighttown anywhere before a boss (other than the entrance from the Depths)? I want to advance a bit (I'm at
the first bonfire
) before I trek out do do some weapon upgrading and I completely forget how to get out of there.

Or, am I fine to just keep using the Drake Sword down here until I make it to the next area (and presumably can then venture out to upgrade another weapon)?

I'm just sick of using the Drake Sword since I intended to build a quick agility/endurance-based character but haven't had a good enough weapon to really use that build correctly. I just got the Iato (sp?) and want to go back to the blacksmith in Undead Burg to upgrade to +5 so I can start using it.

So my options are:

1) Keep pushing through Blighttown with the Drake Sword, keep an eye out for the next possible shortcut back to a blacksmith (or a new blacksmith)? Or

2) Double back (if I can remember how the heck to get back up to the Depths - I dropped down to the bonfire and couldn't find a way back up) to go upgrade the Iato before pushing on

I was in the same situation... I would go ahead and kill Quelaag.
If you save at the bonfire at the bottom, and go in human form, you will get invaded. Once you kill the phantom, you can summon her for the boss. Her along with a human summon, you should wreck her. I used her soul to make the fury sword to replace the dragon sword. It scales with humanity and dex. Behind her is the second bell, so you will coming back anyway if you don't push on

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
johntown said:
The way I did it was....

Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, New Londo Ruins, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Kiln of the first Flame.

If you have done the Painted world that is your next area but you said speed so you could skip the painted world.
Don't forget Dukes and Crystal Caves.

johntown

Banned
rayner said:
I need to help more players defeat bosses so I can join the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. I'm currently at SL 85 and I can help people with bosses up to Pricillia in the Painted World. I have 15 Faith so I just need to help 7 players and I've helped at least 5 - 6 and I don't want to waste stat points on Faith so anyone that needs help on Ornstein & Smough or Pricliia look for my summon sign :)

I think I may have screwed myself by farming Humanity and such and getting tons of souls and leveling up :(
I am semi close to that soul level (SL74) and I got summoned at least 15 times or more at New Londo Ruins to fight the Four Kings this weekend alone.

EDIT: If you do that you will most likely be helping people in NG+ and the Four Kings there have a ton of HP.

Ken

Fong Ghoul said:
Thanks - but what does the bolded mean?
There's a giant water wheel wih platforms you can step on by the boss area's entrance and close to the Bonfire at the ground level of the map.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
lawblob said:
Starting to feel burned-out on the game. After taking my sweet time with everything, enjoying a slow pace to the game, I need to get it over with. After Anor Londo, what should I do to get to the end-game the fastest?

Currently in the Archives basement?

You hit the same point I did!!

Depends on what you haven't done, you can bust out Catacombs/ToTG pretty quick if you have a divine weapon, the bust ass through Demon's Ruins and Lost Izalith and then it's just a straight shot to the end.

I suggest Chaos Cov and 30 humanity to open the short cut to Lost Izaith though.. allows you too pretty much skip all of LI.

Edit: Oh, you still have New Londo... have fun.

Mihos said:
I was in the same situation... I would go ahead and kill Quelaag.
If you save at the bonfire at the bottom, and go in human form, you will get invaded. Once you kill the phantom, you can summon her for the boss. Her along with a human summon, you should wreck her. I used her soul to make the fury sword to replace the dragon sword. It scales with humanity and dex. Behind her is the second bell, so you will coming back anyway if you don't push on
zerokoolpsx said:
Use the Water wheel to go up and jump off at the next higher platform. Several ladders to keep going up. UP, up and away!
Hm - thanks guys. Sounds like I definitely don't need to double back at this point. Guess I just needed an "am I doing something terribly wrong?" check.

I'll just keep pushing forward and see what happens. That's sort of what this game is about anyway!

johntown

Banned
NervousXtian said:
I suggest Chaos Cov and 30 humanity to open the short cut to Lost Izaith though.. allows you too pretty much skip all of LI.

This cannot be stressed enough and I know for sure I am doing that on NG+. I did not take the shortcut and that level is a pain in the ass.

orion434

johntown said:
I am semi close to that soul level (SL74) and I got summoned at least 15 times or more at New Londo Ruins to fight the Four Kings this weekend alone.

EDIT: If you do that you will most likely be helping people in NG+ and the Four Kings there have a ton of HP.

I'm not sure how to fight them as a Phantom... I tanked them with Iron Flesh with Havel's Set. My Painted world experience has always been Host Vanquished :(

Finally got to blight town. Thread title is accurate, ugh.

Seems like they are going nuts with those light sources, causing the drops. I kind of wish they would have just flattened the light a bit, and let the framerate be decent.

Thinking of taking my Gargoyle tail axe to Raw just so it can be decent down here and give me that nice poison resistance. I wasn't planning on using it much past that.

Any must have items down here? I don't want to spend too much time exploring.

DigitalDevil said:
I've got to find this item discovery ring.... Where is it at?
It's called
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
and you can find it in
Sen's Fortress.
The section where you'll have to run down the boulder slope, you usually make a left into the room with the first mimic chest. Wait there so that the boulders fill up the whole in the ground and as soon as the next one passes, run over the now filled hole and it will be on the right side (make sure that boulders don't smash you there).

Alternatively, you can also go up first, direct the boulders there by yourself and the change the direction so that you won't have to dodge anything while going down there.

The ring gives a neat +200 item discovery boost and is totally worth it.
Combing that with the rusted iron ring and you are in full farm mode for blight town.

Fong Ghoul said:
Is there a good shortcut out of Blighttown anywhere before a boss (other than the entrance from the Depths)? I want to advance a bit (I'm at
the first bonfire
) before I trek out do do some weapon upgrading and I completely forget how to get out of there.

Or, am I fine to just keep using the Drake Sword down here until I make it to the next area (and presumably can then venture out to upgrade another weapon)?

I'm just sick of using the Drake Sword since I intended to build a quick agility/endurance-based character but haven't had a good enough weapon to really use that build correctly. I just got the Iato (sp?) and want to go back to the blacksmith in Undead Burg to upgrade to +5 so I can start using it.

So my options are:

1) Keep pushing through Blighttown with the Drake Sword, keep an eye out for the next possible shortcut back to a blacksmith (or a new blacksmith)? Or

2) Double back (if I can remember how the heck to get back up to the Depths - I dropped down to the bonfire and couldn't find a way back up) to go upgrade the Iato before pushing on

It's not that hard to get out, from the bonfire, look out for torches, they generally are attached to a ladder. There should be some ladders heading up right near the bonfire. Head up them, then you can find the exit pretty easily if you just keep heading up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like thinking of the the post Anor Londo stuff as a third of the game. My play time is roughly forty hours, and I was running around Anor Londo at around 35 hours. The last few shitty areas are really in and out fairly quickly, whereas a lot of the previous areas were great because you'd stick around and explore, else come back later for whatever other reason.

BeeDog

Aside from the spectacular when you first enter Anor Londo, I don't understand why people go gaga over it. As an actual level, it's very straightforward and pretty boring; vast, empty spaces and the rewards for exploring are not that good. It's also fairly short too.

electricpirate said:
Finally got to blight town. Thread title is accurate, ugh.

Seems like they are going nuts with those light sources, causing the drops. I kind of wish they would have just flattened the light a bit, and let the framerate be decent.

Thinking of taking my Gargoyle tail axe to Raw just so it can be decent down here and give me that nice poison resistance. I wasn't planning on using it much past that.

Any must have items down here? I don't want to spend too much time exploring.

I found the
Iato
and
Shadow armor set
down there. Not sure what else there is. It took some awkward exploring though - lots of ladders you can miss, and I think you have to
jump onto the roof just behind the first bonfire to get the Iato

johntown

Banned
rayner said:
I'm not sure how to fight them as a Phantom... I tanked them with Iron Flesh with Havel's Set. My Painted world experience has always been Host Vanquished :(
I use homing crystal soul arrow but I must have flawless execution because one hit and I am dead.

In NG+ for the Four Kings use Iron Flesh and ranged options that are powerful. Lightning weapons are very effective as well.

Aeana

Neon_Icarus said:
I just discovered that Motoi Sakuraba did the soundtrack for this. WTH!? The music sounds nothing like his usual stuff (which is a good thing. It would have been a poor fit for the series).

Does anyone know why FROM decided to change composers though?
Some of the music sounds exactly like his work. Sif's theme for example couldn't get more Sakuraba if he tried.

schragnasher

Neo Member
I saw a weird glyph in the Catacombs last night, it said something about dragons, it was bluish and acted like a summon. Said i was being invaded by dragon...something. Then a minute later it said the summon disappeared. WTF was that?

Uh, this fight isn't as easy as I thought it'd be. I got Ornstein down to a quarter on my first attempt and haven't come anywhere near close since.

I tried summoning someone but the dumbass ran off before the fight.

Couple more attempts and I'm packing in for the night.

johntown

Banned
schragnasher said:
I saw a weird glyph in the Catacombs last night, it said something about dragons, it was bluish and acted like a summon. Said i was being invaded by dragon...something. Then a minute later it said the summon disappeared. WTF was that?
You were summoning someone to fight for a Dragon scale you have in your possesion. Basically, you accepted a duel from another player for a Dragon Scale.

BeeDog said:
Aside from the spectacular when you first enter Anor Londo, I don't understand why people go gaga over it. As an actual level, it's very straightforward and pretty boring; vast, empty spaces and the rewards for exploring are not that good. It's also fairly short too.
Unfortunately a lot of the areas in DaS are like that. They went for these huge, grandiose set pieces that, while visually fantastic, loose all the immersion that the smaller, more concise levels have.

If you think about it, the entire undead burg/chapel area would probably fit in the lava pit of Lost Izalith, but the undead area is by far the most interesting and exciting of the two.

johntown

Banned
toasty_T said:
Uh, this fight isn't as easy as I thought it'd be. I got Ornstein down to a quarter on my first attempt and haven't come anywhere near close since.

They seem to be weak to fire but I think Smough is easier to take out first.

schragnasher

Neo Member
johntown said:
You were summoning someone to fight for a Dragon scale you have in your possesion. Basically, you accepted a duel from another player for a Dragon Scale.

Interesting, is that part of the dragon covenant?

BeeDog

Dave Inc. said:
Unfortunately a lot of the areas in DaS are like that. They went for these huge, grandiose set pieces that, while visually fantastic, loose all the immersion that the smaller, more concise levels have.

If you think about it, the entire undead burg/chapel area would probably fit in the lava pit of Lost Izalith, but the undead area is by far the most interesting and exciting of the two.

I agree, and it's the biggest complaint I can direct at this game. This is the major area where Demon's Souls is much, much better.

Owensboro

Ken said:
Waterwheel up ...
zerokoolpsx said:
Use the Water wheel ...
Ken said:
There's a giant water wheel...

I'm sure someone has mentioned something along these lines... but in my most recent playthrough (NG++) I found something incredibly hilarious about that wheel. I kept wondering how it was moving when there actually is no water moving anywhere near it. If you get to the part when you roll off the top of it to that platform, go next to the ladder up, and then turn around and look towards the center of the wheel across the way you will see what is actually powering the machine. It's not water!
One of those small fire-dog things is running in the center of the drive wheel! It's actually a giant Hamster Wheel, not a Water Wheel!

schragnasher

Neo Member
toasty_T said:

I think this fight almost requires two people unless you are really overleveled. Or have a specific mix of ranged skills. ... For a melee you likely need two so they can keep one of the guys off you, can you summon Soltaire?

Kyoufu

Owensboro said:
I'm sure someone has mentioned something along these lines... but in my most recent playthrough (NG++) I found something incredibly hilarious about that wheel. I kept wondering how it was moving when there actually is no water moving anywhere near it. If you get to the part when you roll off the top of it to that platform, go next to the ladder up, and then turn around and look towards the center of the wheel across the way you will see what is actually powering the machine. It's not water!
One of those small fire-dog things is running in the center of the drive wheel! It's actually a giant Hamster Wheel, not a Water Wheel!

mind_blown.gif

Amazing.

johntown said:
I use homing crystal soul arrow but I must have flawless execution because one hit and I am dead.

In NG+ for the Four Kings use Iron Flesh and ranged options that are powerful. Lightning weapons are very effective as well.

Most damage happens with fire weapons such as the furrysword.

toasty_T said:
The NPC who helped you with the gargoyles. You can summon him for ornstein, too

schragnasher

Neo Member
toasty_T said:
The knight, i think he is called Soltaire. On the stairs with the knight archer should be his summon. IF you can kept him friendly. Not sure what all you have to of done for him to be there.

Leunam

Damn. I thought I would be done with Blighttown but after pressing on after the boss fight it seems like I will definitely need to come back. :( If the framerate wasn't so god awful I might actually like the place.

Went into Sen's and nabbed the Covetous Serpent Ring, got a Lightning Spear off of a Mimic (woe be to me for not heeding messages), and released a prisoner from his cage. Haven't gone too far in but I do enjoy using the traps on the serpent dudes.

Also killed the hydra and made it to Sif. At first I thought "Hey it's that wolf," and then I thought "THAT WOLF HAS A SWORD IN ITS MOUTH." Got promptly owned, went back, summoned a guy who got beasted in two hits, now planning on going back later today to finish the fight.

The Sif fight is funny because it is probably the easiest fight in the game if you have high endurance and a properly reinforced shield. Just wild to see so many people having problems with him.

Dave Inc. said:
The Sif fight is funny because it is probably the easiest fight in the game if you have high endurance and a properly reinforced shield. Just wild to see so many people having problems with him.

No, gaping dragon is much much easier. And as said before: you don't need a shield for him. Just equip a slash weapon such as the Uchigatana, roll under his belly and slice him into pieces.

Leunam

Eh, I've only really fought him twice. I've realized it's not worth blocking at all, even with high stamina, since it looks like I can stay in between his legs for nearly the whole fight.

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
No, gaping dragon is much much easier.
It's far easier to make a mistake with the gaping dragon. It's an easy fight, sure, but it's not like Sif is spitting acid on the floor and flying into the air. Sif's only strength is his whirlwind, if you can block both attacks he is a complete joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom