• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
toasty_T said:
I've been solo this whole time. I dont have a good grasp of how this summoning stuff works tbh

Be in human form and you will see summon signs ( white ones are real player, yellow ones are npcs or players with the covenant of the sunlight if I remember correctly).

schragnasher

Neo Member
toasty_T said:
I've been solo this whole time. I dont have a good grasp of how this summoning stuff works tbh

He is an NPC so it works every time, unlike trying to summon online. But, i have a feeling you needed to talk to him on the hellkite brdge, summon him for gargoyles and then also talk to him at the anor londor bonfire for him to show.

sixghost

schragnasher said:
I think this fight almost requires two people unless you are really overleveled. Or have a specific mix of ranged skills. ... For a melee you likely need two so they can keep one of the guys off you, can you summon Soltaire?
I beat it two nights ago at level 36-38 full melee. It's just the first boss fight that really forces you to be proficient at dodging their attacks.

The hard part is just killing Ornstein in the first phase. Just about any type of build can deal with big Smough once he's dead. Big Ornstein is just fucked though. I tried about 10 times last night to kill him and never even got close.

UrbanRats

Owensboro said:
I'm sure someone has mentioned something along these lines... but in my most recent playthrough (NG++) I found something incredibly hilarious about that wheel. I kept wondering how it was moving when there actually is no water moving anywhere near it. If you get to the part when you roll off the top of it to that platform, go next to the ladder up, and then turn around and look towards the center of the wheel across the way you will see what is actually powering the machine. It's not water!
One of those small fire-dog things is running in the center of the drive wheel! It's actually a giant Hamster Wheel, not a Water Wheel!
And that waterwheel caninewheel has killed me more times than any boss in the game. :\
Everytime (going up) i have to go down from the moving platform to the fixed one, i clip through and fall to my death, 7 times out of 10.

schragnasher said:
He is an NPC so it works every time, unlike trying to summon online. But, i have a feeling you needed to talk to him on the hellkite brdge, summon him for gargoyles and then also talk to him at the anor londor bonfire for him to show.
Oh him. He's sitting at the bonfire. So do I just go into human form and he joins me?

sixghost

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
No, gaping dragon is much much easier. And as said before: you don't need a shield for him. Just equip a slash weapon such as the Uchigatana, roll under his belly and slice him into pieces.
I don't even understand how you can be killed by the gaping dragon. I've fought it twice without even getting hit. Every single one of it's attacks are telegraphed beyond belief and are incredibly slow.

schragnasher

Neo Member
UrbanRats said:
And that waterwheel caninewheel has killed me more times than any boss in the game. :\
Everytime (going up) i have to go down from the moving platform to the fixed one, i clip through and fall to my death, 7 times out of 10.

The dirtiest trick elevator is in
Sen's Fortress, i wanted to ride the elevator by the mimic down...i hop on for the first time...splat into spikes. That made my pause and just curse the level designer, cause that was simply dirty lol.

sixghost said:
I don't even understand how you can be killed by the gaping dragon. I've fought it twice without even getting hit. Every single one of it's attacks are telegraphed beyond belief and are incredibly slow.

Yeah, that's really sad because he is a very cool looking boss.

Kyoufu

schragnasher said:
The dirtiest trick elevator is in
Sen's Fortress, i wanted to ride the elevator by the mimic down...i hop on for the first time...splat into spikes. That made my pause and just curse the level designer, cause that was simply dirty lol.

If you actually go to where the cage elevator is at the top, in that room you hear a prisoner getting killed. It's the sound of a prisoner going splat into spikes via cage. lol

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
sixghost said:
I beat it two nights ago at level 36-38 full melee. It's just the first boss fight that really forces you to be proficient at dodging their attacks.

The hard part is just killing Ornstein in the first phase. Just about any type of build can deal with big Smough once he's dead. Big Ornstein is just fucked though. I tried about 10 times last night to kill him and never even got close.

Is Ornstein the guy with the hammer? I killed him my first try with my level 48 Pyromancer as I found it much easier to kill the fast dude and then take on the big dude, I had no idea he would level up after killing the fast guy though!

EDIT: Nope I got them the wrong way around!

Label said:
Is Ornstein the guy with the hammer? I killed him my first try with my level 48 Pyromancer as I found it much easier to kill the fast dude and then take on the big dude, I had no idea he would level up after killing the fast guy though!

Ornstein is the guy with the lion?/dragon-like mask.

Xanathus

Hah, just had an awesome set of non-stop co-op sessions while trying to take out Ornstein and Smough in NG+. Died so many times, pro-tip: if you want to get the platinum trophy, take out Super Ornstein on your FIRST runthrough or you're going to have a bitch of a time trying to kill him on NG+. Finally got my snazzy Ornstein armor though so woot! SL40 is definitely the optimal level for Anor Londo co-op.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Ornstein is the guy with the lion?/dragon-like mask.

Yeah, I thought I got them the wrong way around after typing that :(

To be honest the boss that has killed me the most was the fucking Gaping Dragon (Ran off the edge about 3 times), every other boss I have killed either on my first and second try :lol

Dave Inc. said:
The Sif fight is funny because it is probably the easiest fight in the game if you have high endurance and a properly reinforced shield. Just wild to see so many people having problems with him.

Agreed. I went back with my Eagle Shield and Furysword and absolutely destroyed him.

Yo Gotti

Banned
If your build is setup to be stamina raped he's pretty easy. On the first try, Sif is hardly one of the easiest bosses in the game.

Aeana

So far, the easiest boss for me - by far - was Pinwheel and the hardest was actually the gargoyles. Every other boss I've beaten on my first couple of tries, if not the first try.

sixghost

Label said:

EDIT: Nope I got them the wrong way around!
It's much easier to kill Smough(fat guy) first, but fighting super Ornstein is hard as hell. All I had was a lightning spear, and it was doing virtually nothing to him. He has some attacks that are really hard to dodge.

It's harder to kill Ornstein first, but big Smough is considerably easier than the alternative. You'll eventually learn the 4 or so attacks Smough does, and then it's pretty easy to go untouched while getting some damage in.

I used all 10 of my Estus Flasks on the first part of the fight, then finished Smough with half my life bar.

sixghost said:
It's much easier to kill Smough(fat guy) first, but fighting super Ornstein is hard as hell. All I had was a lightning spear, and it was doing virtually nothing to him.

Never use lightning weapons against them, they have protection from lightning. ;)

Darklord said:
K, thanks. Do I just give it to any blacksmith then?
No, it's a consumable item which adds the effect to your right-equipped weapon.

Xanathus

Also I love how everyone I co-oped with understood that I wanted to kill Smough first because I was wearing Smough's armor. It looks like proper co-op etiquette for the S&O boss fight is to let the host attack whichever boss he wants to kill first and then either help him or lure the other one away from him. I was really worried that my co-op players would kill the wrong guy first.

sixghost

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Never use lightning weapons against them, they have protection from lightning. ;)

No, it's a consumable item which adds the effect to your right-equipped weapon.
The only bosses that are strong against lightning are S&O and the 2nd gargoyle.
Darklord said:
Use Item is crossed out for me though. Can it not be used with the Drake Sword?
Yep, you can't use any of those resins with the Drake sword.

Xanathus

Darklord said:
Use Item is crossed out for me though. Can it not be used with the Drake Sword?
Nope, it only works with certain items. Generally the non-unique, non-elemental upgraded ones.

edit: The
final boss
is also immune to lightning.

BeeDog

Does anyone know how the difficulty increase/soul multiplier increases for every NG+(+++...)? Is it like in Demon's Souls where NG+ is a major difficulty increase, and the subsequent playthroughs are minor?

Love/Hate relationship for the game.

I wake up one day and just want to conquer it, then, the game makes me its bitch and I cry.

I always come back though.

/thread

Baha

How much humanity should I have if I wanna trounce bosses with the Fury Sword? I'm doing decent dmg at 10 but I want to know if the dmg scales with even higher humanity.

BeeDog said:
Does anyone know how the difficulty increase/soul multiplier increases for every NG+(+++...)? Is it like in Demon's Souls where NG+ is a major difficulty increase, and the subsequent playthroughs are minor?

Like Demon's Souls. I believe it even has the same damage/health modifiers.

Darklord

Banned
Damn. Drake sword is still awesome though.

If I see NPC phantoms to summon, should I summon both or can only 1 be called at a time?

BeeDog

finalozzo said:
where can i find a White Titanite Slab and a Red titante slab?

The White Titanite Slab is found on a corpse in the area right before the Tomb of the Giants boss, and I don't recall where the red one is (probably somewhere in Lost Izalith). I know it's a very rare drop from the disgusting squid-like enemies there though.

Mortrialus said:
Like Demon's Souls. I believe it even has the same damage/health modifiers.

Thanks!

Darklord

Banned
Muchi Muchi Pink said:
There is only one for every boss fight, but you can summon a real player, too.

I haven't seen any until now(I'm in the depths) and there are 2 here. Knight Lautrec and Knight Solaire. If I summon the 2nd will the 1st vanish?

Xanathus

Baha said:
Ho much humanity should I have if I wanna trounce bosses with the Fury Sword? I'm doing decent dmg at 10 but I want to know if the dmg scales with even higher humanity.
It stops increasing at 10.

Think I'll finally beat the game and start NG+ tonight. Been doing some farming in the last area, getting summoned for the last boss a few times. Did a bit of a 'victory lap' of the game and finished off some things - killing the last Prowling Demon that I hadn't killed yet, going back to the Asylum for Stray Demon, upgrading a few random items - have a nice collection of stuff with various enchantments (Divine, Occult, Fire, Lightening, non-elemental, Boss weapons) upgraded fairly well.

Wondering if I want to

- Push straight into NG+
- Re-roll a new character, and try to keep my soul level just a bit lower - think I ended up trivializing some of the late-game content unintentionally - Seath, Nito, Four Kings were all a joke and surprisingly easy. Fury Blade + decent armor and spamming R1 did the trick on all of them - no need for iron skin / pyro / crystal shield type tactics. The encounters lacked the same 'rush' I had from Carpa, Quelaag, etc.
- Revisit Demon's Souls

Finalow

BeeDog said:
The White Titanite Slab is found on a corpse in the area right before the Tomb of the Giants boss, and I don't recall where the red one is (probably somewhere in Lost Izalith). I know it's a very rare drop from the disgusting squid-like enemies there though.
geez, i can teleport to Nito's area but i don't think i can go up from there.

btw can i go out from the kiln of the first flame after i enter to farm with those black knights?

KAOz

Short bus special
BeeDog said:

NG++ was an incredibly minor increase in difficulty. Hardly saw any difference at all. I think you gain quite more souls though. Killed two of the covenant people in Darkroot, and got me 16000. Also over 50k for killing Hellkite.
But difficulty wise, you won't have a problem.

BeeDog said:

Thanks!

The Red Slab is in a chest in the sewery-area of Lost Izalith.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Xanathus said:
Hah, just had an awesome set of non-stop co-op sessions while trying to take out Ornstein and Smough in NG+. Died so many times, pro-tip: if you want to get the platinum trophy, take out Super Ornstein on your FIRST runthrough or you're going to have a bitch of a time trying to kill him on NG+. Finally got my snazzy Ornstein armor though so woot! SL40 is definitely the optimal level for Anor Londo co-op.
Hmm, I was level 50 something and never had anyone summon me at that boss yesterday. I got bored/impatient and ended up soloing them.

I always killed Smough first because he goes down fast with the lightning spear, but it's so hard to fight Super Ornstein up close, and I didn't have a fire weapon. I ended up
cheesing him with a combination of poison and regular arrows, because I found that you can lure/space him so he will repeatedly spam lightning bolts into a broken pillar in front of you, while that same pillar let you spam arrows back at him. It was cheesy, but considering the boss fight was 2v1 to begin with, I think it was okay to not play fair.

widgetraf

Quick question: what is the best sword that scales with str? I've leveled to around 50 and brought my str to 30, did i pretty much fuck up my build? I've been reading that I should have focused on dex if I want to play a "quick" character, rather than a bulky tank with slow attacks.

BeeDog

finalozzo said:
geez, i can teleport to Nito's area but i don't think i can go up from there.

btw can i go out from the kiln of the first flame after i enter to farm with those black knights?

No, you either run back to the Vessel or you use a Homeward Bone. Or commit suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom