• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get the Cursed version of the G
reatsword of Artorias
do I upgrade a broken straight sword? The guide isn't clear which does witch.

So I just
unflooded New Londo
Ruins and my mind was blown.

I had been mapping the game yesterday with my GF, just for fun. And then that door opened :O

And those bodies... ugh.

I don't know where will I go now though, at least the 7
Taurus Demons
I saw on that lava ocean don't seem to respawn...

@Aeana aren't you kinda rushing the game? How many hours have you played?

I guess not having/using a guide except when I need it makes the experience longer (and arguably better).

Zzoram

Dresden said:
Mine's ascended +5 and at this point near the end of the game my pyro's Black Knight Greataxe deals more damage usually unless Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragoncrest ring comes into play.

what is crown of dusk? it boosts magic damage?

Dreaver

Just finished the game. Last boss was easy as fuck. Started a NG+, managed to ring the bells in like... 20 minutes? While it took me like 10 hours the first time? Haha.

Finished at SL71 (something like 11 vit, 40 end, 30 dex, 17 str and 20 int) with 45 hours played ~

The game was very good in my opinion. The first half was... one of the better game experiences I have had. Sadly, the second half was not as good in my opinion. There are so many reasons why I could praise this game. Sen's Castle and Anor Londo where the peak of me. It is really that good. My GOTY so far. However, a few things that were disappointing/should be better in Souls 3:

- The game became too easy the second half. I could literally own the bosses without moving an inch.
Iron Flesh + Pyromancy....
- The second half of the game had less interesting zones.. The second half of the game had worse map design. It felt like the developers put too much time in the first half (which had some of the best map design I've ever seen).
- Online sucks. I have to be honest I haven't tried it good, but there should have been an easy way to join a friend's lobby. An arena-style PvP zone would be awesome as well.
- A little bit buggy somtimes.. got stuck in the floor two times and had to teleport out.
- Some of the parts where you had to walk where so shitty designed.. Where I almost felt of a branch a few times because the camera suddenly changed position...

tokkun said:
This is purely speculation, but I have wondered whether one needs to be using a weapon with slashing type damage to cut off tails or whether it is a critical hit that causes it.

Within my own playthrough I have witnessed some battles where a tail will get cut off in 3 or 4 hits and others where I defeat the boss before it comes off.

Speculation I saw when researching Seath's was that it was the number of hits to a specific location on the tail, not the damage done. With Seath, it's supposed to be the very tip of his tail, like the last 1/6th of it or something -- gaping dragon gives you some room for error, because it's off the ground 99% of the time and only really easy to hit at the base... Priscilla, I can't say much about, other than I plan to go in with a non-upgraded falchion and a stamina ring and chop like hell at it until it drops off (unless I find a better suggestion before I get that far again).

Dreaver said:
- The game became too easy the second half. I could literally own the bosses without moving an inch.
Iron Flesh + Pyromancy....
- Online sucks. I have to be honest I haven't tried it good, but there should have been an easy way to join a friend's lobby. An arena-style PvP zone would be awesome as well.

2 comments;
(1)Trying your first strategy on some of the bosses in NG+ still works, but on people like S&O? No dice.
(2)Demon's/Dark Souls has never been about co-op specifically -- it was about community for online and they carried that forward well I though, especially for not giving into the masses who wanted co-op from beginning to end. This isn't Halo, this isn't Gears of War. Co-op is supposed to be random. :)

Zzoram

johntown said:
Yes by 20% and stacks with Dragoncrest ring but it lowers magic resistance so magic will do more damage to you.

zomg why didn't I know this, I need to wear it asap

ps, can you warp to any of the Duke's Archives or Crystal Cave bonfires? I'm wondering if I should finish this zone or if I should go to Demon's Ruins

Septimius

MomoPufflet said:
reatsword of Artorias

I thought that was the true version. Not sure.

Septimius said:
I thought that was the true version. Not sure.

True = Cursed, I believe.
Broken sword/hilt + 10 -> greatsword with 158 attack that can hit ghosts, I think.
Any sword with a blade that works -> greatsword with 120 attack that can't hit ghosts, though I could be off and would have to check guide/inventory when I get home.

Insaniac

Are there any other interesting and unique weapons/armor that have special abilities, and by that I mean things akin to Crown of Dusk, Crystal Ring Shield, Drakesword twohander. (More interested in any armors that have interesting properties)

StMeph

MomoPufflet said:
reatsword of Artorias

It's going to be the True version. Cursed is the one that accepts almost anything else.

johntown said:
Yes by 20% and stacks with Dragoncrest ring but it lowers magic resistance so magic will do more damage to you.

So which is better? Crown of Dusk or Crown of the Dark Sun?

Dresden

Grant (that weird mace with good Dex scaling, requires 50 strength and 30 faith) has a special R2 that fires a Wrath of the Gods for 200 durability.

Booshka

burgerdog said:
Before advancing a weapon to fire or lightning should I have the weapon at +15 first?
No, you need to take it to +10 then ascend it. +15 is the max for Normal Weapon reinforcement and requires a Titanite Slab.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
70 pages, good stuff... everybody post more, we gotta get to OT4 because I can't stand how dumb the title of this one is.

Anyone tried both the 360 & PS3 version?

I bought the 360 version after reading about Digital Foundry's comparison, but looking at some head to head videos on Youtube, the PS3 version has a significantly better framerate at the start of the undead asylum, where on the 360 it becomes a slideshow.

Anyone know if the PS3 version edges out the 360 in framerate stability?
Blightown is bad on both versions, but what about the rest?
Is New Londo bad on teh PS3 as it is on the 360?

Insaniac

Hawkian said:
70 pages, good stuff... everybody post more, we gotta get to OT4 because I can't stand how dumb the title of this one is.

if anything, regardless of how slow this thread gets, the title will always be true

burgerdog

Booshka said:
No, you need to take it to +10 then ascend it. +15 is the max for Normal Weapon reinforcement and requires a Titanite Slab.
Ah ok, I thought it took the base damage from +15 making the fire/lightning even better as a result. Good stuff, I don't have to farm a slab then.

StMeph

So... Poise. What do we actually know about this stat?

Do you just need a certain amount of it to be able to shrug off blows, with different needs based on the attack received? Are there diminishing returns? Is there a cap on Poise, or is maxing whatever is available (best Poise armor + Wolf Ring) not enough to prevent all staggering?

How little is irrelevant? How much is a good amount?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Insaniac said:
if anything, regardless of how slow this thread gets, the title will always be true
That's the point, it's unimpressive under all circumstances. The other titles were way better and I get the jab this title is trying to take at the game but it's just not phrased right.

It's like saying this game is more difficult than tying your shoe... sure it is true and always will be true, but who cares? :p

StMeph said:

Do you just need a certain amount of it to be able to shrug off blows, with different needs based on the attack received? Are there diminishing returns? Is there a cap on Poise, or is maxing whatever is available (best Poise armor + Wolf Ring) not enough to prevent all staggering?

Poise does not affect staggering (that's Stability). Poise effects your actions not being interrupted by enemy attacks.

Aeana

Hawkian said:
That's the point, it's unimpressive under all circumstances. The other titles were way better and I get the jab this title is trying to take at the game but it's just not phrased right.

It's like saying this game is more difficult than tying your shoe... sure it is true and always will be true, but who cares? :p
More incentive to get it to OT4 so it can have a new title!

scy

Dresden said:
Grant (that weird mace with good Dex scaling, requires 50 strength and 30 faith) has a special R2 that fires a Wrath of the Gods for 200 durability.

I hate the fact that the weapon doesn't scale with Faith at all.

StMeph said:

Totally anecdotal, but from what I've observed it's still doing something into 120+. The more you have the bigger hits you can take. I have no idea if there's a cap, but I somehow doubt it's possible to prevent all staggering. It make a huge difference for melee and you really notice a difference around 100, which is where I like to be weight load permitting. 75ish still matters, less than 60 I wouldn't bother. It doesn't seem like a stat that's at all worth skimping on. Either go all or nothing, at least in my opinion.

Edit:

Again, anecdotally, there are degrees to which you can stagger. It's not just stagger or don't. So perhaps in that regard, moderate poise may help in some situations. I can't really substantiate that though; just what I've observed. I haven't played around as much with lighter poise builds.

Kyoufu

See You Next Wednesday said:
Poise does not affect staggering (that's Stability). Poise effects your actions not being interrupted by enemy attacks.

Derp, that is what a stagger is. Stability has nothing to do with "stagger".

Stability determines how much stamina you lose and how stable you are when blocking.

Poise lets you attack, cast and move without being interrupted.

K' Dash

Dresden said:
I always rock the Elite Knight Armor chestpiece and leggings - it's just my favorite armor in the game. Then it's either Havel's gaunlets for poise, or Ornstein's gloves for looks. For the helm it's either the gold-hemmed hood or the crown of dusk.

I'm wearing Ornstein's armor without any kind of helmet, I like to see my Char face, I put on the helmet when I'm hollow tho :p

StMeph said:

I think that 50 is a good amount but if you were wearing the poise ring and you have a lot of poise all ready then you're kind of over killing it in my opinion I was doing really well with anywhere from 40 to 50 and certain heavy enemy hits like giant skeletons
that that would normally knock me down instead cause a small blue flash when they hit me was pretty good

Whoa, I just used Siri on my iPhone to type this response and pretty impressive!

Wallachia

K' Dash said:
I'm wearing Ornstein's armor without any kind of helmet, I like to see my Char face, I put on the helmet when I'm hollow tho :p

Lol.. yeah the Hollow zombie face is pretty nasty looking.. like a rave hangover or something.

Sometimes I rock that red dress gear too and when he is running you can see the ugly red flesh feet. lol.

Dreaver

corrosivefrost said:
2 comments;
(1)Trying your first strategy on some of the bosses in NG+ still works, but on people like S&O? No dice.
(2)Demon's/Dark Souls has never been about co-op specifically -- it was about community for online and they carried that forward well I though, especially for not giving into the masses who wanted co-op from beginning to end. This isn't Halo, this isn't Gears of War. Co-op is supposed to be random. :)

Yeah I can imagine some bosses can't be done that way (I couldn't use the tactics at S&O even, it is the hardest boss by far in my opinion).

And I undertand it isn't made for co-op, but I could imagine it could be an AWESOME experience co-opping the game (and make the bosses xx% harder). It is simply which would make Souls 3 even more awesome. :)

The_Monk

Ok GAF, I think I'm needing help right now.

I just defeated
Ceaseless Discharge

Now here's the thing. I don't know where to go. I feel my character is too weak.

Im around lvl 30, Wanderer, mostly Dex, couple of Str and Endurance. I have Heal and Soul Arrow too.

I only have one ring, I'm still using the Halberd as my main weapon, and no, it's not upgraded.

After
ringing the 2nd bell
I saw that one gate opened and I know where it is, but it's so far... plus if I have to return the
swamps
to get there they are constant death for me. If I proceed there are like
4 or 5 gigantic...things. like werewolfs or something

Can anyone point me any good direction from now on giving my status? Thanks in advance.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
StMeph said:

My experience is that it's a bit feast or famine. Going from 0 to 40-something (so the difference between, say, Gold-Hemmed and Elite Knight/Ornsteins/Lautrec's armor) only lets you soak hits from fodder like the hollow soldiers without really enabling you to wade through the attacks of genuinely dangerous enemies. Adding the Wolf Ring on top of that does significantly increase the number of enemies you can tank. Somewhere in the general vicinity of the 100 mark lets you eat a hit from the
Four Kings
without staggering, whereas anything less than that and you may as well have nada.

So I think somewhere between 40 and 80 is a good general walking-around amount, with 40 being too low and 80 probably being too high. For bosses you plan to employ the old "rushdown then go apeshit" strategy on, you pretty much want as much as possible, though full Havel's Armor plus Wolf Ring is probably a bit overkill.

x3r0123

The_Monk said:
Ok GAF, I think I'm needing help right now.

I just defeated
Ceaseless Discharge

Now here's the thing. I don't know where to go. I feel my character is too weak.

Im around lvl 30, Wanderer, mostly Dex, couple of Str and Endurance. I have Heal and Soul Arrow too.

I only have one ring, I'm still using the Halberd as my main weapon, and no, it's not upgraded.

After
ringing the 2nd bell
I saw that one gate opened and I know where it is, but it's so far... plus if I have to return the
swamps
to get there they are constant death for me. If I proceed there are like
4 or 5 gigantic...things. like werewolfs or something

Can anyone point me any good direction from now on giving my status? Thanks in advance.

do the boss at darkroot basin, it should be easy as long you have a magic resistant shield. You can go back to the assylum to pick up some items and do the optional boss.

Also, getting that crest to open darkroot garden would be very useful as the famous soul farming spot is there

The_Monk

x3r0123 said:
do the boss at darkroot basin, it should be easy as long you have a magic resistant shield. You can go back to the assylum to pick up some items and do the optional boss.

Also, getting that crest to open darkroot garden would be very useful as the famous soul farming spot is there

Thank you very much, can you give some more info, please?

So from the spot I killed the
Ceaseless Discharge
I need to go back all the way untill darkroot? Is that the forest area? Never been there...

Haunted

Hawkian said:
That's the point, it's unimpressive under all circumstances.
Just like the framerate in Blighttown (just arrived there, terrible that they've actually put in another swamp area).

The_Monk said:
Thank you very much, can you give some more info, please?

So from the spot I killed the
Ceaseless Discharge
I need to go back all the way untill darkroot? Is that forest area? Never been there...
You enter Darkroot Basin from below the blacksmith + bonfire that's opposite of the Undead Parish -> Firelink Shrine elevator.

The_Monk

Haunted said:
You enter Darkroot Basin from below the blacksmith + bonfire that's opposite of the Undead Parish -> Firelink Shrine elevator.

Thanks. So it's going to take me a looong walk to get there from where I am, right?

When will it be possible for to go
from bonfire to bonfire
?

Because it's really going to be a long walk + poison + traps + dark + framerate, lol.

Am I the only one that thinks that (lore spoilers?)
the whole world is built upon Ash Lake?

While trying to "map" the game world my GF and I came to that conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom