• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

Zzoram said:
Um wrf how do u get Seath's tail? He has 3 and keeps spinning so I can't hit the back middle one
It's the back middle one. And you have to hit the tip. He kept spinning and clipping his tail through the wall for me. Took a while and a lot of sprinting behind him to get it.

RedSwirl

Oracle Dragon said:
The Baldur knight you mean, the one on the stairs? Just wait for him to clang off your shield and hit him back once, then repeat. If he holds his sword different he will parry you... in that case do your jump attack he can't parry it.

There is a NPC summon sign right before the boss door, yes.

For the Gargoyles your best bet is to be aggressive, don't try and defend from them. Block/dodge the first hit he does, then turn OFF lock-on, run to his back side, and 2H your weapon... go to town. If he starts trying to breath fire, you can get him out of it by hitting him in the head. If you have the 1st one down by the time the 2nd one lands, it's pretty much wrapped up at that point. Only when they are both alive is the fight in question.

That's the problem. The first one's health is still usually half full when the second one appears.

Santiako

Zzoram said:
Um wrf how do u get Seath's tail? He has 3 and keeps spinning so I can't hit the back middle one

Use the ring that makes you silent, he can't see you, so you can cut his tail pretty easily.

vilmer_

Is there anywhere before the final area to farm Red Titanite Chunks? I've had my Greataxe stuck at +7 for ages and I want to upgrade this mother before tackling the next bosses.

Wow, the game just keeps throwing surprises at you at every corner.

Yesterday, I beat the Hydra boss & checked the lake to see if anything was there, which there wasn't.

Now I'm looking at youtube video on getting access to rare armor sets early on & stumble upon a video about the Oolacile.
Apparently if I re-enter the lake where the Hydra boss was, a new golem enemy will spawn at the very back.
Defeating it will give me access to a new NPC shopkeeper that sells cast light & invisibility spells :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Risk Breaker said:
Am I the only one that thinks that (lore spoilers?)
the whole world is built upon Ash Lake?

While trying to "map" the game world my GF and I came to that conclusion.

I'm pretty sure that
Lost Izalith is under Ash Lake. At one point in the Demon Ruins you can see what seems to be the roots of the Great Hollow rising out of the central building of Izalith, presumably from the Bed of Chaos. I think all the trees in Ash Lake are supposed to be part of the Bed of Chaos.

Similarly, the point in the Tomb of Giants where you fight Nito is lower than Ash Lake. At one point in the Tomb you emerge momentarily into Ash Lake, then after going back into the caverns you continue descending, culminating in a reasonably long drop into Nito's chamber. By the time you reach him you're undoubtedly below Ash Lake.

There's also the Abyss, of course. Who knows exactly where that is relative to the rest of the game world, geographically. The only sure thing about it is that it's lower than the Firelink Altar, because if you have Kaathe take you there he emerges from below, whereas if you have Frampt take you there from Firelink Shrine he emerges from above.

KAOz

Short bus special
vilmer_ said:
Is there anywhere before the final area to farm Red Titanite Chunks? I've had my Greataxe stuck at +7 for ages and I want to upgrade this mother before tackling the next bosses.

There is a 100% droprate of all Chunks in the area just before the fogdoor in the final area. You can farm it how much you want.

vilmer_

KAOz said:
There is a 100% droprate of all Chunks in the area just before the fogdoor in the final area. You can farm it how much you want.

Sweet. I'm assuming I have to beat the other bosses for this area to open then?

KAOz

Short bus special
vilmer_ said:
Sweet. I'm assuming I have to beat the other bosses for this area to open then?

Yeah, indeed. Otherwise you can try and farm the Octopus-thingies in Lost Izalith, but they are a decently rare drop. And it's quite annoying to farm them.

vilmer_

KAOz said:
Yeah, indeed. Otherwise you can try and farm the Octopus-thingies in Lost Izalith, but they are a decently rare drop. And it's quite annoying to farm them.

The Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith are next on my list, so this is perfect! I actually found one in the Great Hollow when the camera suddenly turned when running by a mushroom and knocked me off lol.

psykomyko

I just got to
Seath in Crystal Cave.
Wow,
Crystal Cave
is beautiful, but also hard. I'm guessing I have to do something to
Seath
before actually attacking right? Cus he regenerates everytime I hit him.

UrbanRats

See You Next Wednesday said:
Wow, the game just keeps throwing surprises at you at every corner.

Yesterday, I beat the Hydra boss & checked the lake to see if anything was there, which there wasn't.

Now I'm looking at youtube video on getting access to rare armor sets early on & stumble upon a video about the Oolacile.
Apparently if I re-enter the lake where the Hydra boss was, a new golem enemy will spawn at the very back.
Defeating it will give me access to a new NPC shopkeeper that sells cast light & invisibility spells :)
Ashlake
or
Darkroot Basin
?

J2d

Not having my summon sign disappear unless I put another one down and being able to see what I'm a bout to pick up would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

Do you get notified when someone you indicted got killed btw?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hmmm, entered Lost Izalith expecting it to be a nightmare... and its actually one of the easiest zones in the entire game.

Important Spoilery Tips:
Make sure you get the Orange Charred Ring off of Centipede Demon first. Cut his arm off when he tries to smash you. Do not try and shortcut it using Chaos Covenant because otherwise Lava will be an issue, and with the ring its actually about the same as poison in blighttown swamp - a minor inconvenience. The bounding demons can all be sniped down using a bow, or you can just smash them to bits with Crystal Ring Shield if you feel impatient.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Clear said:
Hmmm, entered Lost Izalith expecting it to be a nightmare... and its actually one of the easiest zones in the entire game.

I don't think there have been too many people accusing it of being too hard. Most of the criticisms of it revolve around the fact that it's awful.

ShaneB

Gaping Dragon question...
Am I missing something? Can I kill the guy up top spamming soul arrows? All I'm doing now is just avoiding things and hitting the Dragon when it's stationary, seems effective when I can avoid it of course, but just takes a long time it seems.

frequency

psykomyko said:
I just got to
Seath in Crystal Cave.
Wow,
Crystal Cave
is beautiful, but also hard. I'm guessing I have to do something to
Seath
before actually attacking right? Cus he regenerates everytime I hit him.
There's a
crystal in the back of the room that you have to break first

Kyoufu

ShaneB said:
Am I missing something? Can I kill the guy up top spamming soul arrows? All I'm doing now is just avoiding things and hitting the Dragon when it's stationary, seems effective when I can avoid it of course, but just takes a long time it seems.

You were supposed to kill that sorcerer like at the beginning of the depths. In the room with the 3 rats.

ixix said:
I'm pretty sure that
Lost Izalith is under Ash Lake. At one point in the Demon Ruins you can see what seems to be the roots of the Great Hollow rising out of the central building of Izalith, presumably from the Bed of Chaos. I think all the trees in Ash Lake are supposed to be part of the Bed of Chaos.

Similarly, the point in the Tomb of Giants where you fight Nito is lower than Ash Lake. At one point in the Tomb you emerge momentarily into Ash Lake, then after going back into the caverns you continue descending, culminating in a reasonably long drop into Nito's chamber. By the time you reach him you're undoubtedly below Ash Lake.

There's also the Abyss, of course. Who knows exactly where that is relative to the rest of the game world, geographically. The only sure thing about it is that it's lower than the Firelink Altar, because if you have Kaathe take you there he emerges from below, whereas if you have Frampt take you there from Firelink Shrine he emerges from above.

Damn... I haven't seen half of those places :p

However I saw
the roots you're talking about in the Demon Ruins and yeah, I thought they might be part of the Great Hollow, though it feels like the tree goes lower than the Demon Ruins... I'll post back when I have truly finished the game, thanks for your insight :)

The_Monk said:
Thanks. So it's going to take me a looong walk to get there from where I am, right?

When will it be possible for to go
from bonfire to bonfire
?

Because it's really going to be a long walk + poison + traps + dark + framerate, lol.

It's not that long a walk.
If you are in the swamp already, make your way to the bonfire in the alcove pretty much in the center of the map to your right (facing direction Quelaag's Domain). From there continue towards the big elevator wheel and make your way directly to the top (always take the closest ladder up) where you should find a key before proceeding further.

After that, you'll have to kill the three troll-like enemies which can be challenging, but if you take on one at a time and go for backstabs, you should be fine.
On a positive note, you won't encounter anymore enemies from there on until firelink.
You'll exit in the valley of drakes and can go over plank directly next to the exit you just came out to the other side. There you'll already see an iron door which is opened with the key you picked up earlier.
Passing through, you are already directly under the firelink shrine and just need to take the elevator in the tower right next to the one that you just came out.

if you are still in the depths, try to get down to the swamp anyway. Opening up the shortcut to the firelink shrine will prove very helpful later on.

RedSwirl said:
That's the problem. The first one's health is still usually half full when the second one appears.

It may be time to upgrade your weapon/magic? You can get enough to buy rocks for a decent upgrade just by killing everything in undead parish a few times. What I did at that point was I dropped my summon sign, then just kept looping around killing stuff. Sometimes I'd get summoned to do the boss, and get some more souls (and practice) from that.

Other than that, try and summon help I guess. The NPC will help you if you can fight the Gargoyles but die from damage since he will draw their attention while he lives. But he won't hurt them much so if the problem is damage output he won't be that big of a help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Risk Breaker said:
Am I the only one that thinks that (lore spoilers?)
the whole world is built upon Ash Lake?

While trying to "map" the game world my GF and I came to that conclusion.
It is. There's a LOT of Asgardian myth being repurposed for this game. The Great Hollow is a pretty solid analogue for Yggdrasil.

Here's this:
L8xdo.jpg

And then (more stylized):
s7UZt.jpg

Note the
primordial serpent, and the division between the realms of men and gods...

ixix said:
I'm pretty sure that

This is all solid too, and still fits. There are still things
"below" Ash Lake where the roots of the great tree are found. Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins certainly remind me of Muspelheim.

Joule

ShaneB said:

Yeah you can kill that guy prior to the boss. This fight does take awhile normally. You can pop a gold pin resin to speed things up if you're melee only.

frequency

Sec0nd said:
Beat the game. Was a disappointing ending for sure...
Setting everything on fire, the end?
Lame...
Yeah I had no idea what it was supposed to mean. I thought I must have zoned out and missed something but apparently not... I kind of had a sense of what was going on with Demon's Souls. I have no idea what anything is and what happened in this game.

UrbanRats

BaronLundi said:
I posted a step-by-step method on the previous page. Dusk is easy to miss.
I killed that hydra yesterday and explored all the lake (i think) but found no golem.
I'll head back there to check.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ixix said:
I don't think there have been too many people accusing it of being too hard. Most of the criticisms of it revolve around the fact that it's awful.

Depends on your style. Its an archer's paradise, with a bit of crowd control thrown in.

ShaneB

Kyoufu said:
You were supposed to kill that sorcerer like at the beginning of the depths. In the room with the 3 rats.

I don't think in this game anyone really knows what they're "supposed" to do. I didn't even see a Sorcerer on my roundabout way down here. =/

Damn.

Trevelyon

Okay, I'm giving up on titanite slab searching, I'm clearly on a loser here. 100 titanite chucks, 450 item discovery (just lost all humanity caused I zone'd out) and a heap of death wraiths corpses'.

So, NG+, get the relevant embers again, kill the stray demon and not fuck up Siegmeier's quest line, 2 titan slabs locked in and one blue and one white slab, reinforcements should be done.

Wallachia

24FrameDaVinci said:
At entrance to Quelag and just dropped a sign, SL 37. Anyone wanna do a warm up round before I fight her for the first time? PS3 version.

Damn, wish I was home.. Im in range, SL and area.

frequency

ShaneB said:
I don't think in this game anyone really knows what they're "supposed" to do. I didn't even see a Sorcerer on my roundabout way down here. =/

Damn.
I only saw him because he shot me in the back with a spell as I was stabbing some rats. That meanie!

NBtoaster

Kyoufu said:

If you take the hole behind the butchers table, you go straight down to the giant rats sewer and miss it.

The_Monk

kingschiebi said:
It's not that long a walk.
If you are in the swamp already, make your way to the bonfire in the alcove pretty much in the center of the map to your right (facing direction Quelaag's Domain). From there continue towards the big elevator wheel and make your way directly to the top (always take the closest ladder up) where you should find a key before proceeding further.

After that, you'll have to kill the three troll-like enemies which can be challenging, but if you take on one at a time and go for backstabs, you should be fine.
On a positive note, you won't encounter anymore enemies from there on until firelink.
You'll exit in the valley of drakes and can go over plank directly next to the exit you just came out to the other side. There you'll already see an iron door which is opened with the key you picked up earlier.
Passing through, you are already directly under the firelink shrine and just need to take the elevator in the tower right next to the one that you just came out.

if you are still in the depths, try to get down to the swamp anyway. Opening up the shortcut to the firelink shrine will prove very helpful later on.

Thank you! I just beat the
Ceaseless Discharge
so If I'm in this area I need to go back to the Swamps area? And then proceed?

Hawkian said:
It is. There's a LOT of Asgardian myth being repurposed for this game. The Great Hollow is a pretty solid analogue for Yggdrasil.

Here's this:
http://i.imgur.com/L8xdo.jpg[IMG]

And then (more stylized):
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/s7UZt.jpg[IMG]
Note the [spoiler]primordial serpent, and the division between the realms of men and gods...[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Interesting... I just went to check [spoiler]if the roots in Demon Ruins could be from the Great Hollow and nope, they are in opposite directions so it's a different tree.[/spoiler]

Such a great world either way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The_Monk said:
Thank you! I just beat the
Ceaseless Discharge
so If I'm in this area I need to go back to the Swamps area? And then proceed?
Yeah, the backtracking through Blighttown was my least favorite experience with this game so far. Hehe. You can get back to Firelink through the Valley of the Drakes exit pretty simply, though.

So I wasted 2 more eyes of death in an area I hadn't beaten the boss of yet (Demon ruins). Was invaded 3 times (red phantoms) but no eye of death in their blood puddle...

The only misery I spread was my own: I'm very disappointed this covenant works so badly when it completely relies on successful invasions to be kept going. 9 eyes per playthrough is not much when there's hardly a way to gain more.

Will try again in NG+ in a more populated area.

Booshka

Trevelyon said:
Okay, I'm giving up on titanite slab searching, I'm clearly on a loser here. 100 titanite chucks, 450 item discovery (just lost all humanity caused I zone'd out) and a heap of death wraiths corpses'.

So, NG+, get the relevant embers again, kill the stray demon and not fuck up Siegmeier's quest line, 2 titan slabs locked in and one blue and one white slab, reinforcements should be done.
I'd rather just play through the game again than farm for hours and hours for maybe one drop. I got lucky and got two Red Titanite Slabs in the
Poison Swamp of Lost Izalith
, one from the chest and the other was a drop. So I got Chaos and Fire fully upgraded in one playthrough. Sucks that I still have to go down there for Siegmeyer but it's worth it for another Titanite Slab.

The_Monk

Hawkian said:
Yeah, the backtracking through Blighttown was my least favorite experience with this game so far. Hehe. You can get back to Firelink through the Valley of the Drakes exit pretty simply, though.

Thanks. I think that I'm going to fall back and venture elsewhere. I believe there's much to do, I just opened a gate and some GAFfers been saying that I can go to other places so I guess I should be fine If I'm not in the right area cause I feel to week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Risk Breaker said:
Interesting... I just went to check
if the roots in Demon Ruins could be from the Great Hollow and nope, they are in opposite directions so it's a different tree.

Such a great world either way.
Well, it's certainly stylized and I don't expect everything to fit together perfectly, but I definitely feel that the atmosphere with the
lower areas all having massive roots spiraling through them is intended to suggest they are all coming from the same place somewhere higher up.

If nothing else, it's certainly incredibly compelling. Going almost straight down to find
a beach and massive lake complete with an everlasting dragon that deep into the world
is just so surprising and unsettling.

The_Monk said:
Thanks. I think that I'm going to fall back and venture elsewhere. I believe there's much to do, I just opened a gate and some GAFfers been saying that I can go to other places so I guess I should be fine If I'm not in the right area cause I feel to week.
That gate is the entrance to Sen's Fortress, and that is where you should be heading. It's extremely close to the bonfire by the blacksmith Andrei.

Sec0nd said:
Beat the game. Was a disappointing ending for sure...
Setting everything on fire, the end?
Lame...

frequency said:
Yeah I had no idea what it was supposed to mean. I thought I must have zoned out and missed something but apparently not... I kind of had a sense of what was going on with Demon's Souls. I have no idea what anything is and what happened in this game.

That's because you lost, lighting the fire is not what you want to do to win.
I posted that a bunch, but this thread moves too fast ;) I should copy/paste it into some sort of macro hah hah!

what's the smartest way to do the Forest Covenant stuff?

i think i've killed enough people in the forest, so i'll get the terrible Ring of Fog from Avina now right? what next, can i just betray them and kill Shiva and his bodyguard at Blighttown for their loot? i won't miss out on anything later, trophies or otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom