• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think it's exactly about winning and losing...

astroturfing said:
what's the smartest way to do the Forest Covenant stuff?

i think i've killed enough people in the forest, so i'll get the terrible Ring of Fog from Avina now right? what next, can i just betray them and kill Shiva and his bodyguard at Blighttown for their loot? i won't miss out on anything later, trophies or otherwise?
Go talk to Alvina, if you get the loot you're good to go.

DON'T do what I did and attack anyone until you buy the stuff Shiva has. Missed out on getting my favorite weapon :'(

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Risk Breaker said:
Damn... I haven't seen half of those places :p

However I saw
the roots you're talking about in the Demon Ruins and yeah, I thought they might be part of the Great Hollow, though it feels like the tree goes lower than the Demon Ruins... I'll post back when I have truly finished the game, thanks for your insight :)

They seem to have sort of a theme going with the later areas, where
the holders of the Lord Souls are found at the extremes of the world. The Four Kings are in the Abyss, Nito is at the lowest point of the Tomb of Giants, and the Bed of Chaos is in Lost Izalith. All three locations go out of their way, one way or another, to demonstrate to the player how far down they are. Then there's Seath, who hangs out in the Duke's Archive, which is the highest building in Anor Londo, which is the highest location in the game world, and the room where you first meet Seath and have your initial unwinnable fight with him is the highest room in the Duke's Archive. So three holders of the Lord Souls are found at the lowest point in the world, while the fourth is found at the highest point in the world.

Ash Lake and the Great Hollow seem to be how the game communicates to the player how far they've traveled. They're repeatedly used as reference points for where exactly you are relative to the rest of the game world. It blew my mind a bit when I realized it was possible to see the Great Hollow from Firelink Shrine.

Hawkian said:
It is. There's a LOT of Asgardian myth being repurposed for this game. The Great Hollow is a pretty solid analogue for Yggdrasil.

Here's this:
http://i.imgur.com/L8xdo.jpg

And then (more stylized):
http://i.imgur.com/s7UZt.jpg
Note the
primordial serpent, and the division between the realms of men and gods...

This is all solid too, and still fits. There are still things
"below" Ash Lake where the roots of the great tree are found. Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins certainly remind me of Muspelheim.

I don't really agree with this assessment.
The game's mythological symbolism draws heavily upon fire, lightning, trees, mountains, and serpents, it's true, but those are symbols used in virtually all mythology. The closest analogue to definite real-world myth is, to my mind, the extremely obvious parallels between Gwyn and Zeus, with Anor Londo and its environs standing in for Mount Olympus and the dragons standing in for the Titans. Gwyn's toga-wearing and lightning-chucking habits are anything but subtle, after all.

I think the Great Hollow and Ash Lake are used as references to give the player their bearings and to communicate how far they are from where they started, which happen to double as nifty optional areas. I don't think they're intended as the fundamental underpinnings of the game's backstory.

There's also the fact that the Great Hollow is pretty damn runty, really. In the grand scale of the game it's really not that impressive.

astroturfing said:
what's the smartest way to do the Forest Covenant stuff?

i think i've killed enough people in the forest, so i'll get the terrible Ring of Fog from Avina now right? what next, can i just betray them and kill Shiva and his bodyguard at Blighttown for their loot? i won't miss out on anything later, trophies or otherwise?
You can't get that ring from Alvina, can you?
Guide listed only from the crow
,but I'm aware you can get other item as a reward for killing people in the forest.

Shiva has some rings for sell.

Hawkian said:
I don't think it's exactly about winning and losing...

Referring to my previous post about the ending?
It's definitely about that. If you light the fire, you got played for a sucker by Dark Sun Gwyndolin and Kingseeker Frampt, and have provided Dark Sun Gwyndolin with a new lease on immortality at the cost of your own soul/existence... now your fate will be the same as Lord Gwyns, to be imprisoned as a husk at Kiln of First flame for eons. If you walk away, the Age of Fire ends and you are raised to be the new Lord of the birth of the Age of Man.

Trevelyon

Booshka said:
I'd rather just play through the game again than farm for hours and hours for maybe one drop. I got lucky and got two Red Titanite Slabs in the
Poison Swamp of Lost Izalith
, one from the chest and the other was a drop. So I got Chaos and Fire fully upgraded in one playthrough. Sucks that I still have to go down there for Siegmeyer but it's worth it for another Titanite Slab.

Yeh, I'm regretting farming rare drops now, complete waste of time in spite of a sure thing (or close to) in a new game, could have made some real headway by now.

Thought I could play the odds with a butt load of humanity on my side, but it didn't really help all that much, hell! the drop rate didn't seem to decrease all that much after losing all that humanity, go figure.

Cloudius12 said:
You can't get that ring from Alvina, can you?
Guide listed only from the crow
,but I'm aware you can get other item as a reward for killing people in the forest.

Shiva has some rings for sell.

Kill 3 and Alvina will give you the ring of fog.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ixix said:
I don't really agree with this assessment.
The game's mythological symbolism draws heavily upon fire, lightning, trees, mountains, and serpents, it's true, but those are symbols used in virtually all mythology. The closest analogue to definite real-world myth is, to my mind, the extremely obvious parallels between Gwyn and Zeus, with Anor Londo and its environs standing in for Mount Olympus and the dragons standing in for the Titans. Gwyn's toga-wearing and lightning-chucking habits are anything but subtle, after all.

I think the Great Hollow and Ash Lake are used as references to give the player their bearings and to communicate how far they are from where they started, which happen to double as nifty optional areas. I don't think they're intended as the fundamental underpinnings of the game's backstory.

There's also the fact that the Great Hollow is pretty damn runty, really. In the grand scale of the game it's really not that impressive.
Well, I haven't seen
Gwyn, I'm certainly willing to change my perception. Seems like an amalgamation of popular myth especially if there's a reference to something like the Titanomachy with the dragons. But the prevalence of the massive trees through the "base" of the world, the primordial serpents (who like to eat ;)) and the environments of Ash Lake and the Great Hollow definitely stood out to me as significant in terms of the gameworld. Maybe I'll feel different when I've seen the last few areas.

Just made the Greatsword of Artorias and it sucks against every enemy I've fought.

What's the deal with this weapon? Should I keep upgrading it?

Misterinenja said:
Just made the Greatsword of Artorias and it sucks against every enemy I've fought.

What's the deal with this weapon? Should I keep upgrading it?

Most of the demon weapons are unfortunately underwhelming. Well that's not true, it's more like the non-demon weapons are too powerful, but I guess it amounts to the same thing ;) You can't use Demon ore for anything else, but personally I'd upgrade a shield instead.

Sarcasm

I just started so a noob.

I found a secret (maybe not so secret) vendor in the first unburg area.

I noticed the heater shield and shortbow.

I currently have a shield that blocks 93% physical damage while the heater does 100%.

Is it like Demons Soul where the heater shield is a awesome first purchase?

Raxus

Oracle Dragon said:
Most of the demon weapons are unfortunately underwhelming. Well that's not true, it's more like the non-demon weapons are too powerful, but I guess it amounts to the same thing ;) You can't use Demon ore for anything else, but personally I'd upgrade a shield instead.
The patch is going to address the weapon upgrading though.

ixix

Hawkian said:
Well, I haven't seen
Gwyn, I'm certainly willing to change my perception. Seems like an amalgamation of popular myth especially if there's a reference to something like the Titanomachy with the dragons. But the prevalence of the massive trees through the "base" of the world, the primordial serpents (who like to eat ;)) and the environments of Ash Lake and the Great Hollow definitely stood out to me as significant in terms of the gameworld. Maybe I'll feel different when I've seen the last few areas.

The final few areas are pretty vital to understanding how it all ties together, I think. I think it's pretty heavily implied
that all the giant trees are growing from the Bed of Chaos. Which is kind of neat, what with the implication that you've been seeing bits and pieces of a late-game boss for hours without realizing it and all. It rather fits in with the game's hobby of making playable areas plainly visible from other playable areas, with the player only realizing the fact after they've already been to both areas and make the connection. Only in this case it's a late-game boss you're seeing without realizing it until, in all likelihood, a later playthrough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sarcasm said:

I currently have a shield that blocks 93% physical damage while the heater does 100%.

Yes, it's the only shield I've ever needed (not using a shield mostly ;))

oracrest

Sarcasm said:

Ya, go with 100% damage reduction.

That merchant sells some key items, like the one used to write messages...

Ken

Hmm...some guy invaded me by the Bonfire in Sen's. I found him using the Ring of Fog and he started running but triggered one of those super arrow traps and died. Lol.

sleepykyo

Zzoram said:
Getting Seath's tail is impossible.

What is his tail? I killed him once slashing the right limb. Killed him another time slashing the left limb. No detachment, no item, nada.

edit: Just read the previous page. Aw damn, his back is pretty lethal with those limbs trashing around.

Aeana

sleepykyo said:
What is his tail? I killed him once slashing the right limb. Killed him another time slashing the left limb. No detachment, no item, nada.
It's the one all the way at his back. He has 3 "tails."

Sarcasm said:

I'm going to buck the trend and tell you not to buy it.

Shields that block 100% physical are laughably easy to find in the first area or so. The hollow soldier shield drops all the damn time and is a shockingly good shield. You can also find the knight shield laying around in the undead parish.

I'd save the souls for leveling up, arrows, etc

Raxus said:
The patch is going to address the weapon upgrading though.

I don't believe they are addressing anything for the demon weapons; they were investigating/addressing the balance between scaling and elemental weapons. Hopefully they will make the scaling more powerful, but they could just as likely (knowing From/Souls games) make the elemental weapons less powerful. They didn't say anything about the Demon weapons but as any are scaling I hope they would be included. However, many of the Demon weapons just aren't that great, and I'd take a +15 Battle Axe over them any day.

The big problem right now is even if I get a scaling stat up to 50 (a very big investment) it is, at best, on par with a element weapon. Usually it is worse. And the element weapon is far cheaper to create if you take not only the mats, but the stats into account.

ixix

Clear said:
Depends on your style. Its an archer's paradise, with a bit of crowd control thrown in.

My first character was an archery-heavy Dexterity-focused warrior, and I detested that place with every fiber of my being. It was easy and it was terrible.

That said, some of my less than charitable feelings towards the late-game areas are tempering a bit as I tackle them with my second character. I doubt I'm going to feel any less animosity towards that particular area after round 2, but who knows.

God this game is stupid. How the fuck am I supposed to fight sinners who summon 2 phantoms and rape me with thunder poles. Will be glad to get my 10th kill so I can leave this shitty convent

Or camp your spawn with fog ring and backstab. Ughhhh

JRPereira

Welp, NG+ with SL98 wanderer is a crap shoot, but rolling a sorcerer and shooting soul arrows at everything is fun. Been helping people with quelaag at SL17. Soo glad I've finally been able to reliably find the path down from the drake entrance to blighttown into the swamps. Can skip the entire blasted area, and good riddance. Wish it was that easy to skip tomb of the giants, but I'll probably visit izalith first and pick up a
sunlight maggot... thing?

I had fucking Quelagg down to one hit and I got shanked for about 80% health. I nearly put my head through my bedroom wall but pulled it together.

Someone tell me it will all be okay.

Manmademan said:
I'm going to buck the trend and tell you not to buy it.

Shields that block 100% physical are laughably easy to find in the first area or so. The hollow soldier shield drops all the damn time and is a shockingly good shield. You can also find the knight shield laying around in the undead parish.

I'd save the souls for leveling up, arrows, etc

Ehhh.... the heater shield is cheap, and I can promise he will get those souls back much faster than farming soldiers for a lucky drop. I did quite a few clears of all of the mobs on the way to Taurus demon (mostly from sucking, and dying on him a lot). It was a lot of kills to get a Hollow Soldier shield. In the mean time, I made 1300 souls per run, it only took a few minutes, and the heater shield is much less than that.

Johnlenham said:
God this game is stupid. How the fuck am I supposed to fight sinners who summon 2 phantoms and rape me with thunder poles. Will be glad to get my 10th kill so I can leave this shitty convent

Or camp your spawn with fog ring and backstab. Ughhhh

If all you want is the Ring of Fog (which I would wait to see what they do with it in the patch, before I invest much in getting it)
Just finish Tomb of Giants and trade the skull lantern to Snuggly the Crow, you will get Ring of Fog in return.

EDIT - Sorry; read you were only doing it for the Fog Ring, guess I misunderstood. Still, I'll leave that up there for any others who may want it ;)

sleepykyo

24FrameDaVinci said:
I had fucking Quelagg down to one hit and I got shanked for about 80% health. I nearly put my head through my bedroom wall but pulled it together.

It'll be fine, you'll eventually get sense of when that blast is coming. You probably already can, but the spider-sense just malfunctioned.

I lost all my souls in the Crystal Cave and I haven't even got to the boss. I died so many times and been in hollow form for so long. How the hell do I get down? I cross 2 or 3 invisible bridges. Frustrated at such a cheap death.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
24FrameDaVinci said:

Was it the lie down and explode AoE move?

Oracle Dragon said:
Ehhh.... the heater shield is cheap, and I can promise he will get those souls back much faster than farming soldiers for a lucky drop. I did quite a few clears of all of the mobs on the way to Taurus demon (mostly from sucking, and dying on him a lot). It was a lot of kills to get a Hollow Soldier shield. In the mean time, I made 1300 souls per run, it only took a few minutes, and the heater shield is much less than that.

eh, I had so many hollow soldier shields i was drowning in them. as he already has a shield that soaks 93%, I can't see buying the heater as a good investment.

I'd spend the cash on arrows, especially if you're looking to snag the drake sword asap

24FrameDaVinci said:

Try summoning that NPC nearby for the fight. It becomes noticeably easier.

zerokoolpsx said:
I lost all my souls in the Crystal Cave and I haven't even got to the boss. I died so many times and been in hollow form for so long. How the hell do I get down? I cross 2 or 3 invisible bridges. Frustrated at such a cheap death.

There is only two to do and they are easy (once you know), so don't stress about it. If you are willing to not figure it out "by yourself" I strongly recommend watching a youtube video. Once you see it, it's dead easy, and no more frustration ;) I agree, I did not enjoy the invisible bridge mechanic.

Ken

24FrameDaVinci said:

If she pats the spider with one hand, the spider will spit out fire in front of him. You're safe to get in 3 or 4 hits on the sides.

If she pats the spider with two hands, it's going to do the fire AoE. You should get out of there.

If she charges her sword, get in close to the sides of the spider's head. She'll most likely miss all her slashes.

If you killed Maneater Mildred, she's available as a summon in front of the fog. I don't recommend using her though; she likes to get stuck in the lava for a long time and doesn't do a whole lot of damage.

ixix

Johnlenham said:
Fucking hell. Same sinner 3 times in a row with his onion head mate spawn camping lightning weapon dirt bags. So stupid.

If you're trying to rank up in Blade of the Darkmoon, you can farm Souvenirs of Reprisal from
harpies in the Painted World.
If you don't want to deal with PvP it's a rather tedious but vastly less aggravating option.

Did the thread just hit 7,000 post from what was 5,000 yesterday?

Dark Souls might just make it to a OT4.
Hopefully Skyrim & the new Zelda bomb & bring in disappointed fans to Dark Souls for an added boost.

Wallachia

24FrameDaVinci said:
Im going to take another shot at Quelagg but Im back at the bonfire. Anyone wanna join me? SL 37 PS3 version.

Lay down your SUMMON sign.. help someone beat her.. get some humanity, then summon someone to help you :) that's what I will work on tonight.

Love the fight so far, and that lava.. although the graphics are'nt 'superb' the lava just looks and feels hot and painful.

JRPereira

Regarding darkmoon, I'm vastly inclined to believe that there are people setting up camp with summoned allies of similar level (even friends on skype/vent/ts) using the dried hand thing to keep resetting the timer so the same schmucks who aren't in 100% perfect pvp builds with vastly overpowered gear for the level can be harvested for easy souls/to revel in being assholes.

Really sucks that you can't really go about your business in human form in most places for even a minute before somebody shows up with a fog ring, ultra-heavy 2-hander, tranquil walk of peace/stone greatsword and either ultra high level pyromancy or some other ridiculous source of damage. I haven't even come up against some of the crazier lightning weapons yet.

Meanwhile it takes 5-15 minutes before you can get a single ally up and they likely won't be reliably prepared for one of the better-geared invaders.

I finally kill the Hellkite dragon, and lose the souls from falling off a cliff and getting killed by an enemy I've killed a thousand times like a noob.

GOD DAMMNIT

Also, parrying is ridiculous. I swear to God the timing window changes every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom