• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT3| This thread moves faster than the Blighttown framerate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Aeana said:
I won on my second try. I don't know if using crystal soulmass and crystal soul spear counts as cheesing, though. It was kind of funny. The fourth one appeared right behind me and was about to attack, so I turned around and crystal soulmass took him out in one shot.
Yeah, crystal soulmass owns like it always does.

---

In NG+ now, just went through Anor Londo. With six slots my sorceror's arsenal look like this now:

20 White Dragon Breath
30 Homing Soulmass
10 Crystal Homing Soulmass
4 Crystal Soul Spear

Honestly I'm glad I don't have to deal with shitty soul arrow spells anymore.

Using Logan's robes, hat, glove, and staff with the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring and the ninja flip ring.

Booshka

ShaneB said:
well he's dead, but he fell off the side of the cliff. Hope he didnt drop an item or something. Ah well. This is when I hate the game being so obtuse
He drops the best ring in the game and 5 humanity.

finalozzo said:
seems like my ng+ is easier than the first run.
so yeah, i was doing my first run at ng++ difficulty.

How is that possible?

Dresden said:
Yeah, crystal soulmass owns like it always does.

---

In NG+ now, just went through Anor Londo. With six slots my sorceror's arsenal look like this now:

20 White Dragon Breath
30 Homing Soulmass
10 Crystal Homing Soulmass
4 Crystal Soul Spear

Honestly I'm glad I don't have to deal with shitty soul arrow spells anymore.

Using Logan's robes, hat, glove, and staff with the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring and the ninja flip ring.

Crystal soulmass + dusk crown + bellowing dragon ring = 1 shotting the gargoyles in NG++ at 50 INT.

I used it to abuse every boss in NG++ until Smough/Ornstein started giving me trouble. And then I used it on them too. I think Ornstein took 2 shots. :D

ShaneB

Dresden said:
The ring is a restrictive crutch, I wouldn't be bothered by it.

yeah, just read about it. This is when I hate the game being so obtuse, tell me some of this stuff dammit! Oh well. Back to business.

Booshka

Dresden said:
The ring is a restrictive crutch, I wouldn't be bothered by it.
Depends what class you are playing, it is restrictive for sure, and it being a "crutch" is debatable. But, if you are a Warrior class like I am, who focuses on close range melee, wearing heavy armor,and using a heavy weapon, it is vital, the bonuses it offers are the exact three bonuses a Melee heavy character needs. I also like to flip roll, and I need the bonus to equip load that it offers.

oracrest

DigitalDevil said:
you've made it farther then me! I'm just now entering sen's

Just like Demon's Souls, I am taking it slow, and relishing it completely. Totally blind to most of the info about it, to keep that learning surprise happening throughout the game.

bathala said:
Going to New Londo but before I cross the bridge some human guy attacked me.

who the hell was that? I killed him easily

The guy who whines all the time sitting by the firelink bonfire.
He went hollow and wandered down there.

Kalnos

Banned
bathala said:
Going to New Londo but before I cross the bridge some human guy attacked me.

who the hell was that? I killed him easily

Someone is missing from Firelink.
The first guy you meet there, he went crazy from Frampt snoring.

Well, started up a brand new, sparkly clean game in the hopes that this time I'll better manage my souls/upgrades/etc. Kinda bummed that there are a number of rare weapons that require multiple playthroughs. :(

bathala

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
The guy who whines all the time sitting by the firelink bonfire.
He went hollow and wandered down there.

Kalnos said:
Someone is missing from Firelink.
The first guy you meet there, he went crazy from Frampt snoring.
ah lol
I wondered about him. I thought he was going kill the snake

oracrest said:
Just like Demon's Souls, I am taking it slow, and relishing it completely. Totally blind to most of the info about it, to keep that learning surprise happening throughout the game.
I wish I had the strength to do this, but the guide is just so damn SEXY!

Kalnos

Banned
Akkad said:
Another fog ring using bitch made motherfucker just killed me, anybody who uses that ring is a fucking hoe.

I know that feel bro. At least you can take solace in the fact that they will soon be nerfed and pushed off their crutches.

Akkad

Banned
Honestly I would have killed him if I wasn't fighting one of the sentinels in Anor Londo at the same time. He was a magic user and he kept missing me.

burgerdog

I seriously wish this game had been released during the summer drought. I had to stop myself from playing or I would never get around to beating some of the other games I bought in the past few weeks.

edit
I should at least mention that I finished the game and beat Ornstein and Smough in NG+. Absolutely love the game.

tokkun

Akkad said:
Another fog ring using bitch made motherfucker just killed me, anybody who uses that ring is a fucking hoe.

Fog ring by itself is not that bad. Try fog ring + tranquil walk + chaos fireball.

2AdEPT

Hawkian said:
Not sure which guys you're referring to. I do have a Dragon head now, so that should come in handy :p
does the head get used up like an item or can you put it on and take it off? How much fire do you get? I got one a long time ago but was scared to use it early in the game in case it would be more useful later?

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, I love and hate this game. Same as Demon's Souls.

My story:
Finally beat that Capra Demon. I always seem to beat bosses after waiting a day or so and coming back. Anyway, made it to the Depths, fell down every single goddamn hole because I wasn't paying attention. Fell into a pile of Basilisks, and managed to survive fighting all of them, and didn't even get cursed. It was awesome.

Then I got invaded, and he had some armor with enough Poise where striking him with my Scimitar didn't even faze him. Regardless, I whittled him down and took him out. up to 10k souls, which is about 5k more than I've ever had. I haven't found the bonfire down here yet since I fell down all the holes.

I contemplate using a Homeward Bone, but I didn't know about the bonfire, so I figured one had to be coming up soon. I look down and shit I'm out of Estus Flasks, and I have about 20% health left. I make my way past a bunch of rats to a pool with some weird slime things in it (remember, I fell down the holes so I hadn't encountered these yet).

Eventually tossed a firebomb at it and learned that fire's its weakness. Sweet. I can make it. I lure the two rats on the side of the pool towards me and take it out. All that's left...one more slime in the middle of the pool...

I run towards it, firebomb at the ready.

And then I thro...what the fuck just fell from the ceiling and killed me? NOOOOO!
LLShC.gif

I eventually make it back to the Depths, and decide to find the bonfire. Along the way I get cursed and die, since I had no idea that the Basilisks can curse me. Son of a bitch.

Regardless, I made it to the boss, and I got the tail weapon, just need to finish him off next time.

Mindlog

Loot getting stuck in mid-air... known bug? Easy workaround? The last piece of titanite chuck is sitting in mid-air just off some stairs. Oh well.

Finished in the Anor Lando chamber last night to tackle the boss today.

That was really easy. I summoned the Knight and some kind Warrior of Sunlight fellow. Warriors of Sunlight and Chaos Servants working together :]

Current Equipment:
Stone Helm
Stone Armor
Antiquated Skirt (max)
Hard Leather Gauntlets (max or near max)
I switched some Havel stuff back to stone. I'm really happy with this level of protection, weight and poise.

Transitioning my Raw Halberd to Lightning. My crystal shield is finally doing more damage with my weapon than with my ascended pyro glove. I have a divine club in case. I am looking at Queelag's Furysword as a fire weapon, also just in case.

Getting summoned has been nigh impossible while farming Anor Lando for Titanite Chunks.

Aeana

It's too bad I couldn't record the result of my first battle with the demon firesage.
Shortest boss fight ever.

Time to trek back down. (._. )

EDIT: Turns out the second encounter was the second-shortest boss fight ever, but this time it resulted in victory!

Ourobolus said:
Man, I love and hate this game. Same as Demon's Souls.

My story:
Finally beat that Capra Demon. I always seem to beat bosses after waiting a day or so and coming back. Anyway, made it to the Depths, fell down every single goddamn hole because I wasn't paying attention. Fell into a pile of Basilisks, and managed to survive fighting all of them, and didn't even get cursed. It was awesome.

Then I got invaded, and he had some armor with enough Poise where striking him with my Scimitar didn't even faze him. Regardless, I whittled him down and took him out. up to 10k souls, which is about 5k more than I've ever had. I haven't found the bonfire down here yet since I fell down all the holes.

I contemplate using a Homeward Bone, but I didn't know about the bonfire, so I figured one had to be coming up soon. I look down and shit I'm out of Estus Flasks, and I have about 20% health left. I make my way past a bunch of rats to a pool with some weird slime things in it (remember, I fell down the holes so I hadn't encountered these yet).

Eventually tossed a firebomb at it and learned that fire's its weakness. Sweet. I can make it. I lure the two rats on the side of the pool towards me and take it out. All that's left...one more slime in the middle of the pool...

I run towards it, firebomb at the ready.

And then I thro...what the fuck just fell from the ceiling and killed me? NOOOOO!
LLShC.gif

I eventually make it back to the Depths, and decide to find the bonfire. Along the way I get cursed and die, since I had no idea that the Basilisks can curse me. Son of a bitch.

Regardless, I made it to the boss, and I got the tail weapon, just need to finish him off next time.

Did you jump down behind the butcher? OMG. That sucks.
I was afraid it would kill me and only went back after GAF told me it was the easiest way to get to where the giant rat "boss" was.

Mindlog said:
Loot getting stuck in mid-air... known bug? Easy workaround? The last piece of titanite chuck is sitting in mid-air just off some stairs. Oh well.

Finished in the Anor Lando chamber last night to tackle the boss today.

That was really easy. I summoned the Knight and some kind Warrior of Sunlight fellow. Warriors of Sunlight and Chaos Servants working together :]

Current Equipment:
Stone Helm
Stone Armor
Antiquated Skirt (max)
Hard Leather Gauntlets (max or near max)
I switched some Havel stuff back to stone. I'm really happy with this level of protection, weight and poise.

Transitioning my Raw Halberd to Lightning. My crystal shield is finally doing more damage with my weapon than with my ascended pyro glove. I have a divine club in case. I am looking at Queelag's Furysword as a fire weapon, also just in case.

Getting summoned has been nigh impossible while farming Anor Lando for Titanite Chunks.

Unless you're really needing those chunks, you eventually find enough on corpses/loot to make waiting to farm until you get to the last area of the game a no brainer. I've done it twice. I refuse to fight the giants in the great hall, period, and killing darkwraiths in new londo doesn't have a great drop rate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yay 4 Kings down first time. Thought I'd screwed it totally as I completely misjudged the distance to connect on the first king and was whiffling at air for far too long.

Still, Winged Lightning Spear+5 did the business for me, didn't even need to 2h it. 4/4 and done.

Ourobolus

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Did you jump down behind the butcher? OMG. That sucks.
I was afraid it would kill me and only went back after GAF told me it was the easiest way to get to where the giant rat "boss" was.
Yeah. I had bought Soul Arrow before I went down though so the rat boss was cake.

Atolm

Finally got my platinum trophy. 90 hours. Took me less than 2 hours to go from the NG++ beginning to the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo, lol.

so titanite chunks from Darkwraiths... where are they in New Londo? i just couldn't find them. i managed to unlock a shortcut by dropping down some ladders, then proceeded further in the level and got destroyed by 3-5 of those damn ghosts. never saw a Darkwraith, are they in the later section(s)?

Augemitbutter said:
do covenant ranks carry over in ng+? i know it ranks down once you leave a covenant, but surprisingly, i could still offer
soul of gwyn once i've ranked down.
so why is this? is the +1 requirement for the soul just misinformation or is it something else?

confused once again.

since we had a discussion about this earlier in thread, i can now give an answer: i kept the sunlight covenant +0 on and then finished my ng+ run. in ng++ now, i ran up to the altar (still with the covenant +0 intact from my previous playthrough) and it gave me the option to offer
the soul of gwyn once again
, which i promptly did.

i have all miracles now and that's it.

RyanDG

astroturfing said:
so titanite chunks from Darkwraiths... where are they in New Londo? i just couldn't find them. i managed to unlock a shortcut by dropping down some ladders, then proceeded further in the level and got destroyed by 3-5 of those damn ghosts. never saw a Darkwraith, are they in the later section(s)?

They come once you
drain the area.

Mindlog

corrosivefrost said:
Unless you're really needing those chunks, you eventually find enough on corpses/loot to make waiting to farm until you get to the last area of the game a no brainer. I've done it twice. I refuse to fight the giants in the great hall, period, and killing darkwraiths in new londo doesn't have a great drop rate.
I was about ready to give up and I finally got summoned. Great timing.

My Ring Shield is hitting for over 1k on the boss. I like that. I'm going to stop farming here, but at least my parrying is back to proper form now. Running from the bonfire to the main chamber way too many times helped that a lot.

RyanDG said:
They come once you
drain the area.

ohh well fuck me then. at lvl 37 the ghosts seem a bit too powerful when they come in packs, i dunno if i can get through the level far enough to do that...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Damn, I'm so slow. Still not finished my first cycle and at 138hrs already... I'm not even particularly high level (SL 92) just spent a long time scouring every level for secrets and loot.

Time to finish up making weapons and then go on a NPC murder spree. Although I might save that for NG+, especially with some of the more likeable ones. Gotten quite fond of some of them. Even Patches has grown on me, talking to him and listening to his "Oi bruv..." disses against the other characters is pretty amusing.

bathala

Banned
I've gotten another Divine Ember, and I think I gave one on the Parish Blacksmith

should I give him another? Will his upgrades be stronger?

Varna said:
Good place to farm titanite chunks?

Last section of the game is the best place. You get 2 guaranteed per trip -- just use homeward bones or the homeward miracle.

Seriously -- you kill 5 black knights if you make the full trip from bonfire to boss fog gate (and only 5 black knights) and get 1 blue chunk, 1 red chunk, 1 white chunk, and 2 normal chunks.

Homeward (bone) back to bonfire, rinse, repeat.
I spent some time there this morning -- took 8 half runs, got 16 chunks, and it was enough to finish my normal reinforcement trophy and push the rest of the shields I was working on to +14.

Varna

corrosivefrost said:
Last section of the game is the best place. You get 2 guaranteed per trip -- just use homeward bones or the homeward miracle.

Seriously -- you kill 5 black knights if you make the full trip from bonfire to boss fog gate (and only 5 black knights) and get 1 blue chunk, 1 red chunk, 1 white chunk, and 2 normal chunks.

Homeward (bone) back to bonfire, rinse, repeat.
I spent some time there this morning -- took 8 half runs, got 16 chunks, and it was enough to finish my normal reinforcement trophy and push the rest of the shields I was working on to +14.

Sounds good.. but I'm really far away from that at the moment. Any other place ? I don't think I've ever gotten a chunk from a normal monsters... no idea where to start.

bathala

Banned
Varna said:
Sounds good.. but I'm really far away from that at the moment. Any other place ? I don't think I've ever gotten a chunk from a normal monsters... no idea where to start.
u can scroll up someone asked the same question

Carcetti

I've invaded and killed 7 people tonight (8th had fog ring and I didn't equip mine... gg).

I'm really feeling people are abusing that soul glitch and it's affecting PVP. Is there any other explanation to that there are people who are wearing full Havel's set and moving nicely while having over 2k hit points and still haven't kill gargoyle guards at Anor Londo. Sigh.

At least that guy dropped 127k souls.

edit: wait, is it possible I'm invading NG+ from my non-NG+? How else would they wear Havel Set and not have killed the gargs+

2AdEPT

Varna said:
Make sure you have humanity and covetous ring on and any black/silver knight will dropp them. BURG, Parish, Basin, ANor Londo. ANor londo ahs the most plus they are 900 souls apeice.

I did a speed route to ring both bells and get gold hemmed/lightning spear/high chaos pyro and avoided the burrg....once i had all the equip I went to kill the first black knight in the burg with the covetous ring on....but forgot to equip it....he still dropped the BK greatword AND a chunk!

sixghost

2AdEPT said:
Make sure you have humanity and covetous ring on and any black/silver knight will dropp them. BURG, Parish, Basin, ANor Londo. ANor londo ahs the most plus they are 900 souls apeice.
Chunks are a guaranteed drop from Black Knights. The only thing you need to raise your item find for is their shield/weapons, which are all very useful.

npm0925

The multiplayer component to this game is needlessly frustrating. Tried for 2 hours to invade / get invaded -- ran around Darkroot Forest in human form, used 6 cracked orbs, laid down numerous signs with the red soapstone, and then used 3 eyes of death. Net result: one invasion followed by a disconnect.

Varna

2AdEPT said:

I did a speed route to ring both bells and get gold hemmed/lightning spear/high chaos pyro and avoided the burrg....once i had all the equip I went to kill the first black knight in the burg with the covetous ring on....but forgot to equip it....he still dropped the BK greatword AND a chunk!

Cool. I'll be farming those Silver ones for a while then. :)

vilmer_

Carcetti said:
I've invaded and killed 7 people tonight (8th had fog ring and I didn't equip mine... gg).

I'm really feeling people are abusing that soul glitch and it's affecting PVP. Is there any other explanation to that there are people who are wearing full Havel's set and moving nicely while having over 2k hit points and still haven't kill gargoyle guards at Anor Londo. Sigh.

At least that guy dropped 127k souls.

edit: wait, is it possible I'm invading NG+ from my non-NG+? How else would they wear Havel Set and not have killed the gargs+

It is most definitely what is happening :/ I initially wanted to stay a lower level so I could hound people who were playing their first time, but I quickly found out that I was level 50 and invading people who were level 50... In NG+. It really sucks balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom